king canary

Our best ever Scotsman

Who is Norwich's Best Ever Scottish Player?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Norwich's Best Ever Scottish Player?

• Bryan Gunn
    • Duncan Forbes
    • Ted MacDougall
    • Malky Mackay
    • Gary Holt
    • Other (state below)

McLean not on the list then?

Toss up between Fleck and Gunn, but I think I would just give Flecky the nod.

Jimmy Bone and Ted MacDougall were pretty good too. 

Fleck, Foggo and Bone ought to be on the list for sure.

I go for Fleck because of the number of goals he scored and for that little cameo late in his Canary career when they were leading 1-0 at Maine Road and when he was substituted he proceeded to do some much needed gardening to the Maine Road turf much to the annoyance of the natives. Great showman.

5 minutes ago, TheRock said:

Another glaring omission from your poll..... Steven Naismith 😉

😂

Kenny McLean *ducks for cover*

• Haha 2

Rob Fleck but also loved watching Rob Snodgrass just for the shear effort in his play 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Also annoyed I missed Fleck off here but I voted for Forbes anyway

A Spurs friend of mine idolises Hoddle and read his book. Apparently, Hoddle's first appearance for Spurs was as a sub at Carrow Road and the first thing he did was break Duncan's nose by mistake. While they were sorting out the blood, Alan Gilzean told Hoddle that it would be best if he stayed in his own half for the rest of the match 😂

47 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Rob Fleck but also loved watching Rob Snodgrass just for the shear effort in his play 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Dunno. Watching Snodgrass play was like watching a Jack Russell chase a beach ball.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Surprised Russell Martin didn’t make the short list. In my ‘era’ I’d go for Fleck. 👍

He played for Scotland but he was born in Brighton. Same reason I didn't consider Chris Martin.

Tommy Bryceland for me. He could have played for bigger clubs than us ability wise. I loved Kenny Foggo but Tommy was a classy midfield player.

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

At the time there was a lot of pressure to pick one or the other and show your support by getting a tat or wearing something with rangers/celtic.

I went Rangers because of Fleck and others I knew, but I much preferred the image of Celtic badge and kits.  In truth I really didn't give a ****, but for a few it seemed to matter enough to draw blood over - and if you were in the middle it was just as bad.

My Mothers side are Scottish from Glasgow and all Rangers fans so grew up with it 

i have been to ibrox and it is something special the large red brick stand 

i have been and seen  Drinkell ,Chris woods and Dale Gordon Gary Stevens / Trevor Steven Mark Hateley / Ally McCoist ,Mo Johnston , Souness ,seen some wonderful players there over the years 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

I remember reading this about Gunny in the book 12 canary greats.  What he went through when he lost Francesca, and the bond he had with the fans transcends football… the man is a canary legend

98663483-0B8A-4863-8E4E-4E012EA717F1.jpeg

Edited by CardiffCanary

5 hours ago, Herman said:

Him or Mr Apples. 👍

Flecky for me.💪

I can never relinquish my NR12 origins despite living up here for over 30 years. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

I know there’s a lot of people who haven’t appreciated him since he arrived, but I’m struggling to understand why no-one’s mentioned Grant Hanley. He might not be one of the greatest Scots we’ve had, but he’s probably one of the only two Premier League quality players we have right now. 

12 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Recency bias means I've gone for Gunn as I've never seen Forbes or MacDougall. I did love Fleck but my visceral hatred of Glasgow Rangers means I could never pick him. The management thing doesn't bother me at all; he was asked to do a job and accepted, it's not really his fault that he was no good at it. He was one of my favourite players growing up, legend.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts, more eloquently put than I would manage. 👍