Ulfotto

Most Norwich Player of all Time

Which player past or present most sums up the club as a whole?

My guy would be the one and only Daryl Sutch. Came through the youth ranks, played well over 300 games for the club . Yet ask for any highlight or low light from these hundreds of game and I would give a shrug of the shoulders. He was a solid 6/10 man at best most of the time. Until in his last appearance for the club he had one shot one opportunity to roll back years of mediocrity in the shootout against Birmingham and he missed. The man is Norwich personified.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

My guy would be the one and only Daryl Sutch. Came through the youth ranks, played well over 300 games for the club . Yet ask for any highlight or low light from these hundreds of game and I would give a shrug of the shoulders. He was a solid 6/10 man at best most of the time. Until in his last appearance for the club he had one shot one opportunity to roll back years of mediocrity in the shootout against Birmingham and he missed. The man is Norwich personified.

Haha! I get where you're coming from.

39 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Harsh - I saw him as a loyal, and pretty talented player who turned down the opportunity to for a big money move.  Wasn’t he also an England U21 international.

I would have gone Ian Butterworth, consistently making the most of his talent, batting above his level whilst not quite having enough to make to the very top table.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Clever post.

I'd go for Rob Newman. Never quite top draw but seemed to plug on regardless in whichever position he played (and there were more than a few). Got the max out of his abilities but his obvious limitations (he was a tad sh1t) stopped him from mixing it at the very top. Played in a few big games but ultimately blew it (Inter) when getting close to any glory.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1

Todd Cantwell. Flashes of brilliance but painfully lightweight and weak in the tackle. Easy on the eye but with the biggest failing of them all, the thought that you're better than you really are...when you should be working at the parts of your game you need to strengthen. Also pretty poor at social media with iffy fan engagement.

Edited by spencer 1970
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Clever post.

I'd go for Rob Newman. Never quite top draw but seemed to plug on regardless in whichever position he played (and there were more than a few). Got the max out of his abilities but his obvious limitations (he was a tad sh1t) stopped him from mixing it at the very top. Played in a few big games but ultimately blew it (Inter) when getting close to any glory.

OTBC

Good shout on Rob Newman there are quite a few players over the years where there is an obvious reason why Norwich and not at a higher level. Rob Newman had it all but pace so did Iwan Roberts so did Wes. Good but flawed.

But come on the Sutch narrative is irresistible he is along come Norwich in human form. 300 games of nothing then one shot one opportunity at redemption but he fluffed it and that was his last kick in a Norwich shirt.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Winning goal away at Villa when we nearly won the first ever premier league, how’s that one! (Or he might have got the assist … errr)

50 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Todd Cantwell. Flashes of brilliance but painfully lightweight and weak in the tackle. Easy on the eye but with the biggest failing of them all, the thought that you're better than you really are...when you should be working at the parts of your game you need to strengthen. Also pretty poor at social media with iffy fan engagement.

That last sentence makes him the ideal candidate for head of communications and fan engagement at the club.

• Haha 1

A choice between the best goalkeeper we ever had and the best playmaker we ever had

Kevin Keelan

Martin Peters

5 hours ago, Steve White said:

Has to be Dave Stringer

Born in Great Yarmouth I think. 

What about Clive Payne born in Aylsham

Robert Fleck, hard working, was capable of sticking it to the big teams on occasion, loved by the fans, but ultimately when he went to the big time (Chelsea) he wasn't quite good enough.

I would say Wessi

Plays the right way, often style over substance,capable of the sublime at tines, too good for the championship but never quite good enough in the prem. And Can't defend.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Winning goal away at Villa when we nearly won the first ever premier league, how’s that one! (Or he might have got the assist … errr)

Cracking winning goal. That was a great game in a great season 

Sutch for me. Even before reading what the OP had to say the first face that popped into my head was Daryl Sutch...

That might be though because I still wake up screaming every night, dreaming about that penalty miss.

Mediocrity encapsulated. He's a perfect metaphor for our lovely club 💛 💚

Adam Drury surely worth a mention. Grant Holt too.

They always had a point to prove and were not scared of punching well above their weight.

Doesn't Gossy get a look in here? 10 years of struggling to get in with the big boys, then two years where everything he tried came off, before melting away into obscurity again? 🤔

• Like 1

Ruel Fox. Mesmerising and inept - possibly both at the same time. I remember watching him destroy Newcastle on his own. The next week he couldn't trap a bag of sand.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Doesn't Gossy get a look in here? 10 years of struggling to get in with the big boys, then two years where everything he tried came off, before melting away into obscurity again? 🤔

But what a couple of years!....

• Like 1

Drury was fairly understated, probably could have played for England and didn't get half the credit he deserved for managing to cope with Hux doing whatever he did in front of him.

Surprised there's no mention of Russell Martin yet. Got his underpants out for the team! Joined during the lows, took us to the highs only for us to fall from grace. Get a glimmer of false hope we could return before returning to Championship mediocrity culminating in him telling our supporters the team were rubbish and unacceptable. Sounds about right.

In recent years possibly Leitner would qualify for this dubious honour.

Loved watching him in the champs he seemed to have so much time on the ball and I recall telling a mate he was too good to play for Norwich.

Fast forward two years in hes rotting in Austria having looked powder puff in the Prem.

Shows how much I know.

Keith O'Neill

Flashes of brilliance, touted for a big money move, went for a tenth of that, did **** all once gone...

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He would be my choice for exactly the same reasons, he hit a purple patch when seemingly every volley hit the back of the net ⚽️⚽️⚽️

1 hour ago, Segura said:

In recent years possibly Leitner would qualify for this dubious honour.

Loved watching him in the champs he seemed to have so much time on the ball and I recall telling a mate he was too good to play for Norwich.

Fast forward two years in hes rotting in Austria having looked powder puff in the Prem.

Shows how much I know.

His Insta has reported how he has just won the Swiss title with FC Zurich.  Albeit, he was probably injured more than he played.  Still marketing his vegan crisps etc. and sharing with us his morning run on the treadmill.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Harsh - I saw him as a loyal, and pretty talented player who turned down the opportunity to for a big money move.  Wasn’t he also an England U21 international.

I would have gone Ian Butterworth, consistently making the most of his talent, batting above his level whilst not quite having enough to make to the very top table.

Ah, Ian Butterworth. Part of a back four also including Culverhouse, Bowen and Polston from memory. The days when we had a decent defence!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NorfBhoy66 said:

Big Duncan Forbes all the time

Does he though? As much as I'd love to say people like Forbes or someone also said Holt on here before sum up your arcytypical Norwich player they really don't do they?

When you look at most of the players in most of our teams throughout the years I conjure up the image of a very lightweight, fair weather player who loves knocking the ball about on the deck on sunny days but doesn't really like it when the going gets tough. That's very true nowadays at least and I think it's why we always take to players who put their bodies on the line, don't let their team mates slack off, provide natural leadership and leave a bit on the opposition sometimes when needed. It's because we've had so bloody few like that over the years