Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Dean Smith speaks..

“We started okay but it’s a similar story to our season - we’ve made individual mistakes to give goals away,” he said. “You do that against good players and you get beat by this scoreline. 

“I thought too many heads dropped certainly after the third goal went in. I think we were all looking at the clock at that stage with the quality that they’ve got on the pitch.

The first goal, we knew how Tottenham played and the danger was going to be a ball over the top for players who have got a little bit of pace. We didn’t cover the space for the deep run and they’ve got in and scored. 

“We worked a couple of good chances in the first half, but didn’t quite take them ourselves. Again, that’s the story of our season - we haven’t taken our good moments when they’ve come along and the opposition have hurt us. 

“In the second half we weren’t strong enough. Dimi gets done for the third goal and they put it in the top corner. After that, then it’s very difficult. I’ve been in that position as a player. It’s very difficult then to keep fighting. Some of them kept fighting but I could see some heads certainly dropped and it was a tough last 20 minutes.

“I look at Tottenham and the best team won today by a long way. We played a similar system to them. When we had the ball they dropped deep into a mid block, but what they do when they press you is they press you at pace and we didn’t do that well enough at all. 

“If we want to be successful in the way I want to play then we’ve got to be winning the ball back a lot quicker than we do and we’ve got to get up to people and make contact a lot quicker than we do. 

“That’s one of the biggest things, I don’t think we’ve been very good at counter pressing. We’ve lost the ball and we accept that we’ve lost it, and that will change during pre-season.

“It gives me a good idea of what we’ve got here and what we need to work on, not that I didn’t know anyway. When the players have got an opportunity with the last game of the season to show what they are and whether they’re Premier League standard, unfortunately it didn’t happen for them and we all take responsibility for that.”

Dean was grateful that a number of City supporters stayed at Carrow Road to watch the team’s lap of thanks, and gave a message to the fans regarding the future.

“I can promise the supporters, who were brilliant out there again today who stayed to clap us even though they half don’t want to do it because it’s a relegation season but we have to thank them and give them the appreciation for following us, that we’ll come back fighting next season, have a successful pre-season and hopefully go and have a successful season. 

“We’ve done it historically the last couple of times we’ve been in the Championship but we also know how hard it is and I’ve reminded the players of that, but the top of this football club have managed to do it, I’ve done it before myself and Shakey has as well, so we’ll get the right balance with the people we’re bringing in and we’ll improve the people who are here.

“It’s hard to clap your players when you’ve just got beaten 5-0 in a relegation season, but we understand what a unique football club this is and there’s a massive togetherness with the supporters. Let’s hope this time next season we’re all celebrating together.”

He has had 6 months to come to those conclusions and has failed to address any of our shortcomings outlined in what he said.

• Like 2

Sounds like that was written before the game started and he just filled in the blanks. Dreadful appointment.

• Like 3

Dean smith :“Hey Stuart. I’m after a physical unit to sit in front of the defence to offer a bit of protection. “

Stuart Webber:”Our transfer team has identified a Bolivian winger. He’s 5 foot 2 but lots to potential. You’re welcome”

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Ok, so he's trying to play a high press when we lose the ball. That's the first inkling we've had about that particular game plan; it's certainly not been apparent on the pitch. But, hey, it's a coherent idea at least.

Now all he has to do is realise that it's kamikaze madness to play the wide attacking midfielders so high - the same mistake Farke was making in his first season - as it leaves the fullbacks exposed.

Then we just need to sign an entirely new midfield. Getting shot of Normann and Gilmour will fix half the problem. Unfortunately PLM was a permanent signing and our three biggest ever transfers in Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica look to have no greater ability than Hernandez and Placheta who we already had.

Sadly I can't see a quick fix to the issues we've got. It's going to take a couple of years of spectacular recruitment to undo the damage done last summer. What would we give now for another year of Vrancic, Tettey and Stiepermann?

• Like 2

He gets a summer and the same 10 league games Farke had, we better hit the ground running.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Dean smith :“Hey Stuart. I’m after a physical unit to sit in front of the defence to offer a bit of protection. “

Stuart Webber:”Our transfer team has identified a Bolivian winger. He’s 5 foot 2 but lots to potential. You’re welcome”

Is it this guy? 😁

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en/players/ramiro-vaca-***

• Haha 1

Strange leadership style in the sense that that he has none. We needed a sense of pride and a small amount of character to compete this season. Completely lacking and this comes from above . Saddest and most embarrassing capitulation for a squad this season. Huge 

Webber will be punching the air with delight after reading this forum. Focus has switched from him to Smith when in reality neither should be here.

Clearly has a style of play and type of character that he wants in his squads. We don't have the characters which I think is clear to see. As for the style of play, either the players are not smart enough to be able to play it, just can't be bothered or he's only tried to play this at certain times due to availability of players.

Needs backing in this short window what ever you think of him and a few Villa youth loans or signings probably won't cut it especially if we have a dodgy results early doors. 

I'm still really struggling to see what he brings to the table that Farke didn't. He has not stamped any authority on this squad whatsoever since he came in. If anything we've gone alarmingly backwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Then we just need to sign an entirely new midfield. Getting shot of Normann and Gilmour will fix half the problem. Unfortunately PLM was a permanent signing and our three biggest ever transfers in Sargent, Tzolis and Rashica look to have no greater ability than Hernandez and Placheta who we already had.

My kitchen table has more ability than Placheta I’m afraid. Onel was one of my favourites of the last few years but I suspect he’s got older and slower since we last saw him.

47 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He gets a summer and the same 10 league games Farke had, we better hit the ground running.

Farke got a whole season in the championship after a summer of recruiting his players. That's vastly different to Smith's season in the PL, trying to keep the squad Smith inherited in the PL, and/or try and implement his own philosophy whilst in this league, 'the best in the world'.

I'm not saying Smith is untouchable but it's nonsense to insinuate he will soon have had the same chance Farke had. Farke (quite rightly) was given time to build his squad and philosophy. Does no one think Smith deserves the same? Be honest everyone, how many wanted Farke gone after his first season? Look what we'd have missed out on had you got your way. That's why I don't want managers sacked too soon and a Watford style conveyer belt brought in, hasn't done them much good.

What's laughable is the insinuation Farke was on a roll after the Brentford game and could've kept us up (as has been talked about on other threads). Its a cheap, cowardly argument because it can never be proved and is an excuse to bash the club when all the evidence, statistically and simply watching us in the PL under Farke, points to an even worse season than we ended up having (yes, record breakingly bad). Smith recognised the embarrassment of the way we were trying to play with the incredibly poor squad at Farkes disposal and did all he could to sort it out. It wasn't pretty but it showed signs of life. It bypassed the non existent midfield and just played to Pukki and an effective Idah in the short time he played. None of this means it's the way Smith wants us to play or the way he wants and will have us playing next season, it just smacked of trying to make the best of an awful situation.

Smith may very well not be the answer. He may not change from the style he tried to make us play this season which to me simply looked like trying to get the best out of a very very limited PL squad. He may not improve the squad with his purchases. He may not rectify Webber/Farkes catastrophic decisions to not sign a DM and Emi replacement. And he simply will never be Daniel Farke, abysmal PL record and all, which apparently is what some fans want back and feel should never have gone (there's a parallel universe in which we've just broken Derby's record low points total).

But he deserves a decent chance (like Farke got) to prove you all right, or maybe completely wrong 😱 before being tossed away like so many managers before.

• Like 5

Lets see if he puts those ideas into practice in rhe summer and who he weeds out.

The guy deserves that chance and ti also have a bigger gand in rectruitment as our current department have proved imcompetent

We will quickly see at the beginning of the season whether these processes have been implemented

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Is that the same ten games during which there was a clamour to get rid of Farke in each and every season he managed us?  We’ve rarely been good starters in the 40-odd years I’ve been going, so it could get bumpy!! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Farke got a whole season in the championship after a summer of recruiting his players. That's vastly different to Smith's season in the PL, trying to keep the squad Smith inherited in the PL, and/or try and implement his own philosophy whilst in this league, 'the best in the world'.

I'm not saying Smith is untouchable but it's nonsense to insinuate he will soon have had the same chance Farke had. Farke (quite rightly) was given time to build his squad and philosophy. Does no one think Smith deserves the same? Be honest everyone, how many wanted Farke gone after his first season? Look what we'd have missed out on had you got your way. That's why I don't want managers sacked too soon and a Watford style conveyer belt brought in, hasn't done them much good.

What's laughable is the insinuation Farke was on a roll after the Brentford game and could've kept us up (as has been talked about on other threads). Its a cheap, cowardly argument because it can never be proved and is an excuse to bash the club when all the evidence, statistically and simply watching us in the PL under Farke, points to an even worse season than we ended up having (yes, record breakingly bad). Smith recognised the embarrassment of the way we were trying to play with the incredibly poor squad at Farkes disposal and did all he could to sort it out. It wasn't pretty but it showed signs of life. It bypassed the non existent midfield and just played to Pukki and an effective Idah in the short time he played. None of this means it's the way Smith wants us to play or the way he wants and will have us playing next season, it just smacked of trying to make the best of an awful situation.

Smith may very well not be the answer. He may not change from the style he tried to make us play this season which to me simply looked like trying to get the best out of a very very limited PL squad. He may not improve the squad with his purchases. He may not rectify Webber/Farkes catastrophic decisions to not sign a DM and Emi replacement. And he simply will never be Daniel Farke, abysmal PL record and all, which apparently is what some fans want back and feel should never have gone (there's a parallel universe in which we've just broken Derby's record low points total).

But he deserves a decent chance (like Farke got) to prove you all right, or maybe completely wrong 😱 before being tossed away like so many managers before.

We get it. You're one of the people who cringingly sang "Dean Smith's yellow army". Whatever...

The fact is that we were objectively better than Brentford last season and, despite them spending less and having lower wages, we're now objectively worse than them. It makes you wonder why. 

My observation is that we've tried to change too much. Changing the system, changing the squad, changing the manager have all led to worse performance.

You're right. More change now is unlikely to have any benefit. But we're rightly annoyed that we've ended up in this situation with a manager and squad we don't really recognise playing an unfathomable brand of football.

No, Dean Smith doesn't get the luxury of a full season to rebuild. We are supposedly building year on year having overcome the financial mismanagement of the previous regime.

We need to see some kind of identity and some semblance of evidence that he can get the players playing as a team. Nothing of the sort has been displayed so far. 

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is that the same ten games during which there was a clamour to get rid of Farke in each and every season he managed us?  We’ve rarely been good starters in the 40-odd years I’ve been going, so it could get bumpy!! 

Depends what you mean, only one of those seasons he deserved to be removed based on evidence.

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

Farke took over a mid table mediocre team in the process of a complete overhaul.

Smith is taking a team that’s just been relegated from the PL after spending millions and two successive Championship titles.

He’s more than got to know the players we have and he’s got a chance to add more to play in a vastly inferior league next year.

If he doesn’t show the signs he’s got what it takes to get us at least top 6 after 10 games given the massive advantage we have I honestly don’t see the majority of supporters sticking with him.

I’ve got nothing against Dean Smith, but it’s a results business.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We get it. You're one of the people who cringingly sang "Dean Smith's yellow army". Whatever.

No I wasn't.

I do, however, respect the fact Smith tried to change things rather than continuing to pursue with the same failings and expecting different long term results...

18 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The fact is that we were objectively better than Brentford last season and, despite them spending less and having lower wages, we're now objectively worse than them. It makes you wonder why. 

I agree, this season has obviously been a massive failure. My main critisism is at our recruitment.

24 minutes ago, Petriix said:

My observation is that we've tried to change too much. Changing the system, changing the squad, changing the manager have all led to worse performance.

Again I largely agree. However the first two of those changes were from Webber and Farke, and the third will never be proven either way but I disagree. Without changing manager, we were heading for a record breakingly low points total.

26 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You're right. More change now is unlikely to have any benefit. But we're rightly annoyed that we've ended up in this situation with a manager and squad we don't really recognise playing an unfathomable brand of football.

Yes at lot of the critisism is down to annoyance and emotion. Yes it's not a particularly attractive style of football but, again, I respect Smith for trying to get the best out of an incredibly poor PL squad. It undoubtedly showed signs of working, first before Xmas and injuries hit, and then after Xmas briefly, before Idah got injured. It probably still wouldn't have been enough, but it was showing signs of life within the squad.

29 minutes ago, Petriix said:

No, Dean Smith doesn't get the luxury of a full season to rebuild. We are supposedly building year on year having overcome the financial mismanagement of the previous regime.

So he doesn't deserve the same as Farke? And I never actually said he deserves a full season, just that he deserves more than 10 games at the start of the season. The year on year thing doesn't account for the unquestionable failings in recruitment which even Webber can't deny, so an amount of time for that to be readjusted is surely reasonable?

I get the frustration and anger. I'm angry too. But everyone needs to realise its not time to panic and just sack the manager for failing where every other manager would also have done. I know patience is a rare commodity in the world of football but we've proven it can produce success in the very recent past!

26 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Farke took over a mid table mediocre team in the process of a complete overhaul.

Smith is taking a team that’s just been relegated from the PL after spending millions and two successive Championship titles.

He’s more than got to know the players we have and he’s got a chance to add more to play in a vastly inferior league next year.

If he doesn’t show the signs he’s got what it takes to get us at least top 6 after 10 games given the massive advantage we have I honestly don’t see the majority of supporters sticking with him.

I’ve got nothing against Dean Smith, but it’s a results business.

I mostly agree, it just depends on what we add, what we lose and how much he wants to change our style of play with the new squad he assembles.

Yes it's a relegated PL team he's got, but it's one of the worst PL squads of all time and the job of rebuilding this squad shouldn't be underestimated.

6 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

I mostly agree, it just depends on what we add, what we lose and how much he wants to change our style of play with the new squad he assembles.

Yes it's a relegated PL team he's got, but it's one of the worst PL squads of all time and the job of rebuilding this squad shouldn't be underestimated.

So was Fulham’s. The gulf in class between the two leagues is enormous.

The worrying thing is that D Smith said attitudes going to change next season and so -on - SO WHY has this not happen during the time he been here already

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

The worrying thing is that D Smith said attitudes going to change next season and so -on - SO WHY has this not happen during the time he been here already

Because he came in to a squad that knew it wasn't good enough, with players shot on confidence and without the ability to remove any negative influences from the squad, because he came in and had to work with what he had.

What he can do now is clear out people who don't have the right attitude, tell the rest to go home and reset and bring in some fresh faces who are excited to be playing at Norwich.

I don't agree that we are necessarily as crap as we look at the moment. The issue is that we are absurdly, abysmally unbalanced. There's literally no midfield. When has a team ever thrived when it's just completely uncompetitive in the middle of the park.

In a team like that, everything else looks bad, tempo is dictated for you. Your defence is pulled all over the place, you can't build an attack carefully and bypassing the midfield doesn't work because you invite pressure by going long and losing the ball. Even sides who are very direct have players who are at least capable of screening the defence. We have no one who can do this and no one who can regain possession.

Dean Smith is not a moron, he knows this, now Webber and him have to fix it.

• Like 1