Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

If you stayed to clap the lap of honour you are a Dunce

I stayed, but only to use the WiFi to watch the last minutes of the other games, to see how the scriptwriters concluded the finale. A few booed, one bloke in the River End went very red and angry at people clapping. It was the most entertaining part of the afternoon. 

• Haha 1

I'd long gone by then. 

Before this season I'd only ever left a game early once, Ipswich when for some reason they were housed in the Upper Barclay and they'd gone 2 up in the 90th minute, I've now done it 4 times. 

Without doubt, the least enjoyable season in our history where I've never felt such a disconnect with the club and yes I'm including that Championship relegation before anyone pipes up. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 3

Just now, A Load of Squit said:

Getting the name of the lap of appreciation wrong puts you in the corner wearing the hat with a 'D' on it.

Are your hands sore from all the clapping, dunce?

Just out of interest, how full was the ground still at that point?

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

Quite empty as they let the spurs team celebrate in front of their fans first. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'd long gone by then. 

Before this season I'd only ever left a game early once, Ipswich when for some reason they were housed in the Upper Barclay and they'd gone 2 up in the 90th minute, I've now done it 4 times. 

Without doubt, the least enjoyable season in our history where I've never felt such a disconnect with the club and yes I'm including that Championship relegation before anyone pipes up. 

Can't  remember them being housed in the upper Barclay. Coventry were once but it didn't work out very well if I recall .

15 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Can't  remember them being housed in the upper Barclay. Coventry were once but it didn't work out very well if I recall .

You could be right, time plays tricks etc. I was sure I could remember 2 games with away fans up there scum and Spurs? 

35 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You could be right, time plays tricks etc. I was sure I could remember 2 games with away fans up there scum and Spurs? 

I thought it was only Coventry, again could be wrong. I know it didn't go down well

We stayed until the end, and for the 'lap of thanks'.

To be honest, it was as quick, if not quicker than when the players normally leave the field, going around clapping the fans.

17 hours ago, AJ said:

You can see the players start to assemble in the middle, and start their lap after Spurs come off the field:

It was a bit uncomfortable, to be honest.  

17 hours ago, AJ said:

Put it this way, Bailey said it was the saddest spectacle he had seen at Carrow Road

It was sad....and an uncomfortable spectacle to witness....I've never left the ground early and I never will....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

It was sad....and an uncomfortable spectacle to witness....I've never left the ground early and I never will....

Screw that, I was outta there!

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

You can see the players start to assemble in the middle, and start their lap after Spurs come off the field:

It was a bit uncomfortable, to be honest.  

Thanks for finding the video, was already looking pretty empty so was just wondering. Looks a very sorry sight indeed, I'm surprised (almost disappointed) they didn't just can it. Very few of those players deserved clapping for their efforts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Very few of those players deserved clapping for their efforts.

The lap of appreciation is a two way statement - is it for fans to clap the players, to show their appreciation? or for the player to clap the fans ?  or a bit of both ? 

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Put it this way, Bailey said it was the saddest spectacle he had seen at Carrow Road

Hopefully it was at least something for everyone at Carrow Road, players, coaching staff and Webber/Board to reflect on.

• Like 1

The club called it a 'lap of thanks', saying it was a chance for the players and staff to say thank you to the fans for their support.

I didn't want to let them off the hook by leaving early. They had to look at the three-quarters empty stands, containing me and a few handful of other supporters and applaud us.

Now they have a small inkling of how it's felt for us to watch their pathetic efforts all season.

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

The club called it a 'lap of thanks', saying it was a chance for the players and staff to say thank you to the fans for their support.

I didn't want to let them off the hook by leaving early. They had to look at the three-quarters empty stands, containing me and a few handful of of other supporters and applaud us.

Now they have a small inkling of how it's felt for us to watch their pathetic efforts all season.

What was player body language like?
Any blatant goodbyes?
Anyone who looked like they gave a damn, or any arrogant smirks?
Hope they were embarrassed. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

So I left before the lap. However as I ambled out various disabled fans and kids were finding good spots at the front to do something they were obviously looking forward to. Selfish in the extreme to want it canned. Choice is a wonderful thing.

I also chose not to join the protest with the trippers from the City. People who chose to join them also had the choice.

Wonder which was the bigger group...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Any blatant goodbyes?

Dean Smith led them around the ground and was quite enthusiastic. Fair play to him for facing up to it.

The players on the other hand were very lethargic. But they had just been stuffed 5-0. They mostly looked like they didn't want to be there.

Worth noting that Aarons went around on his own at the back, about ten yards behind everyone else, visibly clapping everyone remaining in the ground. Which suggests he's off this summer. Good luck to him.

Edited by Pyro Pete

13 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Dean Smith led them around the ground and was quite enthusiastic. Fair play to him for facing up to it.

The players on the other hand were very lethargic. But they had just been stuffed 5-0. They mostly looked like they didn't want to be there.

Worth noting that Aarons went around on his own at the back, about ten yards behind everyone else, visibly clapping everyone remaining in the ground. Which suggests he's off this summer. Good luck to him.

Interesting re Aarons. I think he has friends / family in the section near where i sit as he always enthusiastically claps our section before kick off. (Either that or we are the closest group of fans to where he positionally lines up.)
Anyway, he was a little more attentive last game clearly running his eyes across the area this gave me the impression he might be off. 

I met him a couple of years ago, really humble young man who was happy to go out of his way and converse with a group of teenagers despite being on a jolly himself.
Very sad but he deserves it. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

It’s a moot point for me as I live 200 miles away and only attend away games, but if people wanted to stay behind and clap and be clapped, it’s got f**k all to do with anyone else.

In other words, I agree with @nutty nigel

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Any blatant goodbyes?

Funnily enough, before kick-off I spotted Grant Hanley hugging both Matthias Normann and Tim Krul but didn't extend this to any of the other players.  Make of that what you will?

I stayed for it and I’m glad I did. I was also very glad I was at Villa Park in May 2019. What incredible memories. My clapping wasn’t for this awful season, of course it wasn’t . For me , it was just in case it was the chance to say goodbye to players like Max , Teemu and Tim Krul who were such a massive part of all the success we had. I hope they all stay , but if they don’t,  I personally would’ve regretted not doing that. 

• Like 2