Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How many fans could Norwich get?

Norwich can summon 40/45k for special occasions but probably not every game

we are probably about right capacity wise. Maybe 5K more 

Depends enormously on league position so impossible to answer but i'd have thought 35K at the start of a premier league year.

36 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

If capacity werent an issue, and current discontent aside, how many fans do we think Norwich could attract each week?

image.jpeg.5060dbcc58f105885c40016d210f390f.jpeg...Twelfty?...

It depends on the division and how the club are performing. In the Championship, the current capacity is just about enough, although it's not quite big enough to offer cheap tickets to kids which may cause issues further down the line. 

In the Premier League, we could probably sell 30-35k for every game, between season ticket holders and casuals, and 40-45k easily for when then big teams come, mainly because they could probably bring 10k away fans if needed. 

The 27k capacity at the moment is limiting us, because it makes it harder for kids to get their first steps on the ladder and also restricts how many we can fit in when we're in the Premier League. With the population of Norwich rising all the time and the difficulties in finding space for the next generation, we need to look at expanding the City Stand because, in theory, the situation will just keep getting gradually worse year upon year. Unless of course the long-term plan is to wait for the elderly season ticket holders to die out and hope that an entire generation isn't interested in replacing them because they've been unable to get bitten by the bug when they were growing up...

Depends what league we're in ...and how many tickets we would make available to away teams

We could have got 40k today...although 15k of them would have been Spurs fans !

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I stood in a 37,000 crowd for a Division 1 game 50 years ago. Since that time the population of Norfolk has increased by more than 50%.

That would suggest that we could average 40,000 in the Premier League, especially bearing in mind the level of away support for the top 7 or 8 clubs compared to the 1970's.

To hit that capacity we would need a large extension to the City Stand and 3 for 2 standing terraces in Lower Barclay and River End. 

When we played Leeds in League 1 the club could have sold 60,000 tickets based on phone enquiries. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Stood when there was 43000 plus for a Cup Game I believe 

Edited by daly

I would guess a capacity of 35,000 would be ideal and fortunately, there is room to build/extend the City Stand to get nearly that.

If we wanted a 40,000 capacity for the odd occasions when we could get that, then that would entail altering/rebuilding the South Stand as well as the City Stand - and that would not make any economic sense. 

The thing to do would be to achieve a 35,000 capacity and then see if that gets filled often enough to warrant further development.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It depends on the division and how the club are performing. In the Championship, the current capacity is just about enough, although it's not quite big enough to offer cheap tickets to kids which may cause issues further down the line. 

In the Premier League, we could probably sell 30-35k for every game, between season ticket holders and casuals, and 40-45k easily for when then big teams come, mainly because they could probably bring 10k away fans if needed. 

The 27k capacity at the moment is limiting us, because it makes it harder for kids to get their first steps on the ladder and also restricts how many we can fit in when we're in the Premier League. With the population of Norwich rising all the time and the difficulties in finding space for the next generation, we need to look at expanding the City Stand because, in theory, the situation will just keep getting gradually worse year upon year. Unless of course the long-term plan is to wait for the elderly season ticket holders to die out and hope that an entire generation isn't interested in replacing them because they've been unable to get bitten by the bug when they were growing up...

I think this is the issue for me, plan things right you can always grow into capacity (of course there’s a ceiling, we will never fill 100K). However where we are now we are in danger of not increasing the casual fan base that grows into life long supporters and merchandise opportunities.

I grew up with the kids for a quid and cheap tickets as a teenager, I know others who ditched casual allegiances to big teams to become City supporters because they could go see the games. They are now bringing their kids up to be Norwich supporters.

Growing the supporter base is a very long term project.