Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Is this the greatest tweet our club has ever sent out?

15 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I can see McCallum being kept around. I suspect if we go back to that 4-2-4 that seemed to get the best out of Idah, I can see Hugill remaining too. I suspect Sargent may find his place out wide rather than up front. 

Im not at all sure what Sargent is. He has looked totally ineffective as a striker (though may do better at Championship level) and doesnt have the scoring record to suggest he will ever be effective here. He's certainly not a winger in the traditional sense and doesnt have those attributes.

He has looked most effective when playing as a wide striker, putting himself about a bit but not actually charged with scoring. He reminds me of the role Bradley Johnson had in his prolific season with us, kind of a wide target man. BJ was incredibly good at this - I can see Sargent being effective in this role too, but personally Id rather we just got rid.

13 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m lost, so this team is pure ****e, we got to give Smith time to build his team but we’re happy to see a poor striker back into a squad to build for possible premier league! Surely it’s better to get him off the books and use the spare wages on a new signing! If he’s going to get HIS team surely fringe players on high wages and well past their prime need to go!

Exactly in my eyes this is a rebuild season 

we need to sign players to gel and get used to playing with each other building a team spirit that with a few extra faces might keep us up 

it is easier to build a team in champs so lets get rid of deadwood get some strength pace and power in the team 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Monty13 said:

As third/fourth striker I don’t see an issue with keeping Hugill for another campaign, he’s not PL material but he can be useful in the Champ. You’d hope we’ve learnt from the Idah injury.

Hugill will not want to be considered has a 3rd or 4th striker - he be off and you cannot blame him - I believe that city can find better and I would like to see Idah goes has well don't rate him much .city do well by looking elsewhere 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

strength pace and power in the team 

Combine those three assets with skill and a footy brain..... and we cant afford them. Pretty much all our players are missing at least one of those five assets. 

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair you compared Srbeny to Sloughbottom Park standard and he went and immediately scored 5 goals in 14 starts in the Bundesliga, then netted 16 goals in 30 odd performances in BL2. 🙃😉

Of course you are an expert on the standard of BL2 and watched his games i suppose ? We are talking about Hugill the man player who failed to impress at all at WBA and their fans were glad to see the back of him and hardly was a raging success at Cardiff. If Pukki stays he will be a fairly expensive 4th choice striker behind Idah and sargent.

16 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I can see McCallum being kept around. I suspect if we go back to that 4-2-4 that seemed to get the best out of Idah, I can see Hugill remaining too. I suspect Sargent may find his place out wide rather than up front. 

Don’t our loan players that do well usually get released (McAlear)!   

Boils down to if he wants to be here and if DS likes him, if yes to both he could play an important role as before. He was also credited with elping to lift the relegation hangover.

Similar with Onel although it's hard to imagine much of a future for him here. You never know though, players can click in the right situation when you least expect it. 

I stand by the comment that there will be a few signings but like last time not wholesale changes, we have plenty of players here good enough to be in the promotion shake up once again. 

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Of course you are an expert on the standard of BL2 and watched his games i suppose ? We are talking about Hugill the man player who failed to impress at all at WBA and their fans were glad to see the back of him and hardly was a raging success at Cardiff. If Pukki stays he will be a fairly expensive 4th choice striker behind Idah and sargent.

He did ok at Cardiff. Not fantastically, not terribly. He is a basic championship striker. Sometimes he goes through patches of playing really well, sometimes he has a barren patch and most of the time he is ok-ish. You can see that from his career stats.

He was pretty dire from the little I saw of his time at WBA, but again, there's not a lot to support the idea that he is not cut out for that level, whereas there's a lot of evidence to say that he was out of form.

I would love us to have the money to spend on a new striker, but we don't and I'm not sure how they would slot in given what would be ahead of them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think all three could be useful next season, but our squad is big as it is yet needing serious work in central midfield.

Smith wants more physicality and both Onel and Hugill can offer that.

You've been playing Subbuteo again haven't you?

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He knows the bloody lot Til.

Disagree and you're an Ipswich fan.

9 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

He knows the bloody lot Til.

Disagree and you're an Ipswich fan.

No, Til is most definitely a Norwich fan.

You are an Ipswich fan trolling a Norwich forum 

41 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Given Marcel Franke was highly touted in bundesliga 2, I don’t think it can compare to the championship 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

No, Til is most definitely a Norwich fan.

You are an Ipswich fan trolling a Norwich forum 

I reckon you're the Ipswich fan trolling proper Norwich fans like me.

4 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Don’t our loan players that do well usually get released (McAlear)!   

He's playing for Inverness isn't he? Not exactly the highest standard. 

22 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly my thinking. In fact, I wouldn't rule out that this might get Placheta going too. 

Hugill is not a striker for picking up on channel balls. You have to send them up to him and he'll put himself about and try to make it stick so someone running up can be found with a short pass or a flick-on. Alternatively, bang in as many crosses as you can and basically tell him "right, Jordan, get your nut on those!"

Idah's better at that as he's got far more pace, but he's got a pretty unusual combo of being pretty damn big, pretty strong, whilst also being pretty fast. A high or longer ball is far more likely to stick with those two around (and Sargent lurking on a wing, who's also not bad in the air either). All you need then is a winger who can keep banging crosses in, and ideally an overlapping full back or two who also can just to make it more unpredictable. In other words, hello Giannoulis. And if McCallum does have a suitable long throw in his locker, even better.

That, basically, is an attacking plan B. Plan A will still basically be threading balls to Pukki.

Nothing will get Placheta going. An utter abomination of a player. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's playing for Inverness isn't he? Not exactly the highest standard. 

In a league where a 34 year old Kyle Lafferty scored 8 in 14.