Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Giannoulis

Not seen it mentioned but with many on here thinking he was 'mistreated'- Paddy has said he very much wants to stay and is on board with a championship promotion push.

• Like 5

Great news and dimi was a bit harshly treated. I think he is a good left back, especially for the championship where you'd expect us to be on the front foot. 

McCallum a sound no.2

Do we rate dimi over Jamal?

6 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Great news and dimi was a bit harshly treated. I think he is a good left back, especially for the championship where you'd expect us to be on the front foot. 

McCallum a sound no.2

Do we rate dimi over Jamal?

Given Jamal could not even get into a struggling seemingly relegation bound Newcastle prior to their takeover and they booted him out of their squad..

Dunno why he didn’t play more this season tbh. Much prefer him to Williams personally. Glad he’s looking to stay and push on.

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by that tweet. Good for Dimi a season in the championship will toughen him up. He has weaknesses that should be improved with a season in the championship and I think may improve his career in the long term compared to leaving for a more technical league.

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given Jamal could not even get into a struggling seemingly relegation bound Newcastle prior to their takeover and they booted him out of their squad..

Lewis will end up at Swansea under Russ...

And that's my mystic Meg moment for the week done. 

• Haha 1

I like him but he's sooo inconsistent. Looks great most of the time but then makes an appalling error or gets robbed in a dangerous position. I think he's getting better though.

13 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Lewis will end up at Swansea under Russ...

And that's my mystic Meg moment for the week done. 

Jamal has a lucrative contract at Newcastle that still has 3 years to run so a move outside the Premier League seems unlikely. 

Can't help but think Byram Hanley Gibson/Omo and Dimi would be a pretty strong starting point for next season. The real question is, assuming we go up again, would you then have to upgrade 3 or even 4?

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I like him but he's sooo inconsistent. Looks great most of the time but then makes an appalling error or gets robbed in a dangerous position. I think he's getting better though.

Dare I suggest he should be tried as a winger?😉

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why not, we definitely need more wingers 🤔

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wing back is where he looks most natural to me, wouldn’t be surprised to see more 3 at the back

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Not seen it mentioned but with many on here thinking he was 'mistreated'- Paddy has said he very much wants to stay and is on board with a championship promotion push.

It is possible he was underused but still wants to stay, though. Williams certainly asserted himself towards the latter half of the season but I do think we should’ve used Giannoulis a bit more as a super sub at the very least when we were chasing a game (which was a lot).

But v good news that he wants to stay. I had a sense that he and Tzolis would’ve been extremely miserable together, having come from the same place and stayed together with little to lean on for positivity all season, perhaps a happy Giannoulis can also help to bring the best out of Christos! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Can't help but think Byram Hanley Gibson/Omo and Dimi would be a pretty strong starting point for next season. The real question is, assuming we go up again, would you then have to upgrade 3 or even 4?

Not sure, it’s very hard to judge because our defence has been under so much pressure from our nonexistent midfield.

I’d personally say Byram and Hanley are more than capable of bottom half PL performances  in an overall better defensive side, jury’s out on the other three.

9 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Jamal has a lucrative contract at Newcastle that still has 3 years to run so a move outside the Premier League seems unlikely. 

Ever heard of loans?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I reckon he tried the new Gyros van in Homebase car park in Sprowston and decided he couldn't leave.

Wait, a new gyros van? Is it any good? 

40 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Wait, a new gyros van? Is it any good? 

Amazing. Chicken souvlaki wrap to die for. Greek couple set it up. Not cheap, nearly £6 a wrap, but soooooo worth it.

• Like 1

I think he was unlucky this season. In the last few games, with a bit of a run in the side he does seem to have stepped it up a bit. Not sure why he wasn't given this chance before to be honest. Happy for him to be first choice next season with McCallum pushing him all the way. You'd hope that's one position in the squad sorted.

Edited by chicken

It was a bit weird to take Giannoulis on loan last season, then purchase him in the summer. Only to bring in Williams. Hardly a vote of confidence.

Nevertheless, I agree, if he's keen to stay that's good news.

• Like 1

There were rumours about Giannoulis being unhappy this season and I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true as he really enjoyed his loan last season, was signed on a permanent deal of our promotion, only to get hardly any game time due to us signing Williams on loan. However, I would think he’d probably be happy to stay as I’m sure he’s fairly confident he’ll be first choice next season

He started against Liverpool and didn't have the best of games as I recall. I think he struggles defensively and particularly in the air. So many times this season our opponents have targeted our full backs and we have failed to shut down crosses whoever has been playing there. Byram is the best of a poor lot, defensively.

Giannoulis is better in the Champs but even last season his lack of pace in recovery was shown up. He's just not that good and we paid way too much for him.

On 21/05/2022 at 11:38, dylanisabaddog said:

Loan to championship club with Newcastle paying a significant proportion of his wages unless one of the newly promoted fancy him for a season?

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

Loan to championship club with Newcastle paying a significant proportion of his wages unless one of the newly promoted fancy him for a season?

A loan does seem likely but a Championship club wouldn't pay any more than £15k a week and Newcastle might just decide to keep him, especially as he's British. 

I'd quite happily have him back here. He never let us down 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A loan does seem likely but a Championship club wouldn't pay any more than £15k a week and Newcastle might just decide to keep him, especially as he's British. 

I'd quite happily have him back here. He never let us down 

How do you know? Championship clubs pay far more than that in wages.

Ah, another Norwich fan pining for the return of abject, sub-par players. Lets get Jerome, BJ and Steven Whittaker back, too. Legends.

Wants to stay, would you want him to if a bid of £10m was made.  Of course you would his limited performance this season means he wouldn't get any suitors.  Paid too much for Gia and especially Gibson.

On 21/05/2022 at 14:01, Capt. Pants said:

Why not, we definitely need more wingers 🤔

but definitely no more whingers please 😄

Glad to hear this as it would be hard to sign a player of his calibre for the same money now. I think he's more than capable of being a top championship left back, a shame he didn't get much of a chance this season. I think 5 at the back was the answer we just failed to use it right