Nuff Said

Utd put Brandon Williams up for sale

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Apart from the fact that we don’t know how much he would cost, so don’t know if we could afford him, you’re spot on. 🤦‍♂️

Fair comment, we don’t, to be honest I was gauging from opinion in a fair proportion of posts earlier in the thread. I assume he’s going to be looking to get a deal at a mid / lower end PL team, or maybe a more freely spending Champs club, so what do we reckon?  £15m or so and  / expecting £50k/w? Of course all conjecture on my part, but if so I don’t see us being able to offer  anything like that. 

He gives 100%.    Amazing how many fans accept that.    In reality, he’s not a Premier League left-back, far from it.   Combative but not a great defender, limited quality and offers no balance, No forward threat.   Not surprised he’s being offloaded.        

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He gives 100%.    Amazing how many fans accept that.    In reality, he’s not a Premier League left-back, far from it.   Combative but not a great defender, limited quality and offers no balance, No forward threat.   Not surprised he’s being offloaded.        

He's also just 21 years of age. Plenty of time to improve and get better. I think he's an okay player. Good and bad aspects to his game for sure. I can imagine him signing for a mid-table Prem side and perhaps in three or four years time becoming a regular at Premier League level. 

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Last year, Burnley paid £85.6 Million in wages which includes staying up bonuses.

The year before last, the last PL year for which we have figures, City paid £88.9 million without bonuses for staying up. This is a 13 month figure which annualises to £82 million. Like for like, our wage bill is probably iro 10% higher. The new owners of Burnley seem to have consciously reduced the wage bill, for obvious reasons.

If the TV money is the same, City have higher revenues than Burnley and do not have to pay anywhere near as much in interest.

I don't have any data on squad size.

I could be wrong, but don't the bonuses for promotion kick in after the end of the summer and into the next financial year?

Also, when people talk about our wage structure, I don't they mean our total spend, but rather, limits on how much is given to individuals. There are a few semi confirmed examples of this such as Josh King who is rumoured to have turned us down on wages as well as Eriksen in January. Though that alone is a bit vague as it could just be they were unwilling to sign with relegation clauses in place - which we know was an issue for the likes of Naismith... 

11 hours ago, chicken said:

I could be wrong, but don't the bonuses for promotion kick in after the end of the summer and into the next financial year?

I'm pretty sure that it relates to the seasons activity and will relate to that seasons accounts. 

Also, when people talk about our wage structure, I don't they mean our total spend, but rather, limits on how much is given to individuals. There are a few semi confirmed examples of this such as Josh King who is rumoured to have turned us down on wages as well as Eriksen in January. Though that alone is a bit vague as it could just be they were unwilling to sign with relegation clauses in place - which we know was an issue for the likes of Naismith... 

The truth is that when people talk about "our wage structure" they/ we don't really have a clue what they are talking about. All we know for certain is the total wage bill + less certain but still possible what "reliable journalists," of which there aren't many (Bailey + Pink Un on NCFC) tell us. I thought that Bailey said that the Eriksen thing was a non starter as he wanted to be in London?

As for Josh King, you may be right about the relegation release clause thing + I suspect that it is a problem in recruiting players for all promoted sides as players know that they will probably get relegated so any year 1 contract may be reduced by 25%+ subsequently. The German midfielder that we were linked with as top choice may well have not signed for this reason as Bailey suggests we paid the same wage for Normann in any case - in other words it is not the amount that was an issue but an insistence on relegation wage reductions. Watford may have been prepared to forgo this, who knows - but having had our fingers burnt with Naismith as you say we were understandably reluctant to do likewise. If they did this with all their "experienced purchases" - King (5 goals), Rose (8 appearances) + Sissoko (33 in August),  they will have over £10 million in wages to pay for these 3 alone - unless they can unload them - which given the details above may be a struggle  (some sort of subsidised loan?).

In summary, we don't know what the wage structure is but we do know the wage budget and that it is comparable to similar sides and indeed better than some sides who have experienced more success than us.

TBH, I don't think that Sheffield Utd stayed up because they paid much higher wages than us + the same to Burnley in previous years or Palace when they first stayed up etc etc. and their wage budgets seem to back this up. What some people say about our wages is simply nonsense - but oft repeated despite this.

15 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's also just 21 years of age. Plenty of time to improve and get better. I think he's an okay player. Good and bad aspects to his game for sure. I can imagine him signing for a mid-table Prem side and perhaps in three or four years time becoming a regular at Premier League level. 

Fair point on his age although from what I have seen the technical part is usually visible and he's not going to be a Premier League left back in my view.   His left foot isn't anywhere near good enough, has no creativity going forward and is predictable.   He can't go past full-backs comfortably let alone swing in accurate crosses.   Can't see him giving the balance required at that level.   Not sure he could do it on the right either.   Hope for his sake he proves me wrong. 

Looks to have more capabilities of a CDM than anything else, defensive awareness, anticipates and loves a tackle, then give easy pass to someone more creative.   

14 hours ago, chicken said:

That is why youth is important 

Tzolis and Rowe nearly the same age wages though i imagine will be totally different with Rowe lower 

Sargent and Idah again wages will be lower for Idah 

so more youth players you can bring in there should be extra cash available  for that Erikson signing if possible