Nuff Said

Utd put Brandon Williams up for sale

Would buy him in a heartbeat personally if I thought we could afford him, but we almost certainly can’t (both fee and wages), we need the money for other areas and he likely would have Premier League suitors.

A loan with a buy on promotion would be perfect if there wasn’t much interest, but I can’t see that unfortunately.

• Like 1

He's nowhere near good enough for United and they'll presumably be able to fleece a club for a decent chunk of money.

Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

I like his attitude and determination. He just makes a few too many mistakes for me.

But he's not alone in that department with our defence.

• Like 1

Whilst he was good for us, he'll probably go to a lower PL side at this point. Maybe a mid table one if he's lucky. If his main desire is game time... will he really get that from a premier league move? We'll have to see I guess. Makes sense for Man Utd to sell now. He's got two years left on his contract, he's 21, and just made a good number of appearances, it's a good time. 

More interesting for me is supposedly Wan-Bissaka has been told he can leave too. They spent big money on him and are unlikely to recapture all of that... He cost £45-50m, will they even get half of that? 

Edited by chicken

Overall I don't rate him any better or worse than Giannoulis. They have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think the last few games have shown that Giannoulis is stronger tactically. Williams can go on his exciting runs forward, and they're great to watch, but he rarely becomes part of an organised attack in the way that Gia does. That's why Gia works as a wing-back and I doubt that Williams could. I also think Gia has better defensive positioning. To be fair to Williams, Gia is older, and Williams is likely to develop these non-physical skills as he gets more experience.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Would buy him in a heartbeat personally if I thought we could afford him, but we almost certainly can’t (both fee and wages), we need the money for other areas and he likely would have Premier League suitors.

A loan with a buy on promotion would be perfect if there wasn’t much interest, but I can’t see that unfortunately.

Probably be alright in the championship playing on his natural side. Not a Premier league player that's for sure.

Do we get a percentage for training him, coaching him, giving him experience of the Premiership, putting him in the shop window and allowing United to evaluate his potential or is this just what is expected nowadays of the lower clubs now, looking after the rich boys.

No more loans please.

If we could find someone mug enough to recoup anywhere close to what we paid for him by selling Giannoulis , I'd have Williams back in a shot although I suspect he wouldnt want ti return here / will think he can get into a lower premier league team

Not sure why he would be wanted by a PL team.  Much better to be at a club pushing for promotion from the championship, show he can be part of a successful campaign and build his reputation that way.  We would be a good fit for him imo, but would expect him to go to a club that can afford to pay him more, like Watford, Sheff Utd or Leeds/Burnley.

Edited by lake district canary

I wouldn't want him. A willing player with good spirit, but just not good enough for the PL and I suspect no better than our own youngsters like McCallum. Would be a complete waste of money.

22 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I wouldn't want him. A willing player with good spirit, but just not good enough for the PL and I suspect no better than our own youngsters like McCallum. Would be a complete waste of money.

The problem is, from what I gather, McCallum is more of a wing back than a LB.

Tricky one. He didn't look completely at ease in our setup. Neither did Gilmour. Both coming from top clubs. I think William swould be good in the Championship but we do have our own coming back from loan. But Mumba and McCallum are the same age as Williams so if they aren't as good then why not take him. But there will be a fee. I don't subscribe that they will want gazillions for him. But maybe just a little too high for us.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Not sure why he would be wanted by a PL team.  Much better to be at a club pushing for promotion from the championship, show he can be part of a successful campaign and build his reputation that way.  We would be a good fit for him imo, but would expect him to go to a club that can afford to pay him more, like Watford, Sheff Utd or Leeds/Burnley.

Not sure may championship clubs would be willing to pay his 70 plus grand a week wage demands 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not sure may championship clubs would be willing to pay his 70 plus grand a week wage demands 

He won't be getting that anywhere.

• Like 1

I’d definitely want him if we could make it happen.

I think a year in the championship will make him as a player. Last year was too soon for him to be a regular premier league player (another mistake by Webber!).

a year in the championship will give him an opportunity to continue to learn from his mistakes (which won’t be so ruthlessly punished in the championship) and he will continue to grow his tactical capability.

He’s exactly the sort of player we should be getting as I’m sure in a year or so he will be a very capable premier league quality player.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

but would expect him to go to a club that can afford to pay him more, like Watford, Sheff Utd or Leeds/Burnley.

Of your list, only Leeds pay more than us.

We spend significantly more on wages than Sheffield Utd (about 25%), significantly more than Burnley (unless they get their staying up bonus) and about the same as Watford. This idea that we pay significantly less than other similarly sized bottom half teams is a myth.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

Of your list, only Leeds pay more than us.

We spend significantly more on wages than Sheffield Utd (about 25%), significantly more than Burnley (unless they get their staying up bonus) and about the same as Watford. This idea that we pay significantly less than other similarly sized bottom half teams is a myth.

I would only disagree on Burnley they pay more but have a smaller squad. 

On Williams he would be a good signing for any of the “other 12” if the price is right. But let’s be honest his main strength is the ability to play left and right back. I’m sure that’s why we got him as he gave us cover/competition for Max and Dimi. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

I would only disagree on Burnley they pay more but have a smaller squad. 

On Williams he would be a good signing for any of the “other 12” if the price is right. But let’s be honest his main strength is the ability to play left and right back. I’m sure that’s why we got him as he gave us cover/competition for Max and Dimi. 

Last year, Burnley paid £85.6 Million in wages which includes staying up bonuses.

The year before last, the last PL year for which we have figures, City paid £88.9 million without bonuses for staying up. This is a 13 month figure which annualises to £82 million. Like for like, our wage bill is probably iro 10% higher. The new owners of Burnley seem to have consciously reduced the wage bill, for obvious reasons.

If the TV money is the same, City have higher revenues than Burnley and do not have to pay anywhere near as much in interest.

I don't have any data on squad size.

Quite telling that he’s a player below the required PL standard yet we are not going to be able to afford him. It really gives clarity as to where we realistically are in the scheme of things. We are currently not going to be able to recruit players good enough to get us out of the Championship, let alone those that would be of the standard to keep us in the PL. Good luck Dean Smith.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Last year, Burnley paid £85.6 Million in wages which includes staying up bonuses.

The year before last, the last PL year for which we have figures, City paid £88.9 million without bonuses for staying up. This is a 13 month figure which annualises to £82 million. Like for like, our wage bill is probably iro 10% higher. The new owners of Burnley seem to have consciously reduced the wage bill, for obvious reasons.

If the TV money is the same, City have higher revenues than Burnley and do not have to pay anywhere near as much in interest.

I don't have any data on squad size.

Accounts from our last premier league season list us as having 159 staff listed under 'football' while Burnley have 133, which suggests the bit about a smaller squad may be correct.

Edited by king canary

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Accounts list us as having 159 staff listed under 'football' while Burnley have 133, which suggests the bit about a smaller squad may be correct.

Possibly but a lot of this will probably be to do with the academy - Burnley are being downgraded, quite probably due to staff levels (they only got it 3 years ago, so the facilities can't have deteriorated that quickly). Players and coaches at the bottom levels of the hierarchy don't get paid much relative to first team squad players.

We can't know for certain until this year's accounts are published for both clubs but it's highly probable pay more and I certainly don't that Burnley can afford to pay Williams more than us, which is where I came in.

Poor Williams a season with us and his career gone down the drain . show that the  guys whom checked on his progress was not that impressed with him neither - mind you he be a good signing for the binners

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Webber waste money! Never! Whatever next!

3 hours ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Quite telling that he’s a player below the required PL standard yet we are not going to be able to afford him. It really gives clarity as to where we realistically are in the scheme of things. We are currently not going to be able to recruit players good enough to get us out of the Championship, let alone those that would be of the standard to keep us in the PL. Good luck Dean Smith.

Apart from the fact that we don’t know how much he would cost, so don’t know if we could afford him, you’re spot on. 🤦‍♂️