Me and my son (whose picture I use for my masthead pic) just bumped in to Alex Neil walking out of our local mini-Tesco’s … He must be staying in a Greenwich hotel prior to tomorrows game … He looked pensive but gave us a warm smile when he clocked my son in his full Norwich kit …

• Like 2

Alex Neil is the manager I've just so happened to bump into the most, he's an absolute top guy. I've never asked him for a photo or stopped him, just given him a hand wave or a head nod when I walked past him but he still knows me by name from the one, brief time I spoke to him about 6 years ago. top man and a really good manager, I hope he gets promoted this year, I'll be watching the L1 play off final later to cheer his team on

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Alex Neil is the manager I've just so happened to bump into the most, he's an absolute top guy. I've never asked him for a photo or stopped him, just given him a hand wave or a head nod when I walked past him but he still knows me by name from the one, brief time I spoke to him about 6 years ago. top man and a really good manager, I hope he gets promoted this year, I'll be watching the L1 play off final later to cheer his team on

Met him a few times including an end of season dinner (where I did get a pic!) . Always found him an absolute top bloke . I also remember his banter with the city fans when  we played Preston as I sat behind the away dug out . AN reminded us that he signed Maddison when JM nearly scored . 
I hope Sun’land go up solely because of him. 

10 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Me and my son (whose picture I use for my masthead pic) just bumped in to Alex Neil walking out of our local mini-Tesco’s … He must be staying in a Greenwich hotel prior to tomorrows game … He looked pensive but gave us a warm smile when he clocked my son in his full Norwich kit …

Great story Deptford . Son looks a top guy and a credit to you . 
PS my lad lives on the Peninsula but he is a bit old for the full kit 😂

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Met him a few times including an end of season dinner (where I did get a pic!) . Always found him an absolute top bloke . I also remember his banter with the city fans when  we played Preston as I sat behind the away dug out . AN reminded us that he signed Maddison when JM nearly scored . 

It was the fans goading him behind the away dugout, shouting "That's James Maddison, remember him??" To which he replied "I signed him", which was quickly followed by "why didn't you play him then"

He took it well though, was said with smiles all round

Echo most of these sentiments. With Sunderland permanently a club connected with us by the "Friendly Final" of the 1985 Milk Cup - and with Alex Neil in charge, will be cheering them on today.

• Like 1

Yeah, really down to earth, humble guy. Anyone who spoke to him whilst at Norwich will know he was genuinely so happy and appreciated the opportunity. Took nothing for granted.

• Like 4

I always felt for Neil, tried his best but I find his appointment very questionable. Clearly inexperienced and at such a young age tasked with guiding us back to the Premier League and keeping us there. Not to mention his lack of experience in the English transfer market. Stitched up like a kipper comes to mind. Will always be eternally grateful for that amazing day at Wembley though. 

As for the play off final, I think if Sunderland come up with him they’ll be quite a force. So Wycombe for me. Purely on a selfish basis. 

My wife and I somehow managed to gatecrash the players party after the Wembley play off final as we were staying in the same hotel . After asking Alex Neil to pose for a selfie with us he insisted on getting us a drink from the bar . Although we only spoke for a few minutes , for the rest of the evening he kept his eye on us and as soon as our glasses became empty he would appear with two more . Smashing fellow ! 

4 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Totally agree. Seriously under rated manager. He always speaks with genuine appreciation of his time here and was eternally grateful for the chance we gave him.   

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

I always felt for Neil, tried his best but I find his appointment very questionable. Clearly inexperienced and at such a young age tasked with guiding us back to the Premier League and keeping us there. Not to mention his lack of experience in the English transfer market. Stitched up like a kipper comes to mind. Will always be eternally grateful for that amazing day at Wembley though. 

As for the play off final, I think if Sunderland come up with him they’ll be quite a force. So Wycombe for me. Purely on a selfish basis. 

If I recall correctly Neil was manager around the time we brought in Joe Royal as a footballing consultant and had Phelan/ Irvine pop up in the backroom staff. 

Can't help but wonder if this was the progenitor for the move to a sporting director model, finding a need for more experience outside of what a single manager can provide. I did feel ultimately AN's downfall was having no idea what to do with a chequebook.

Seems a nice guy, unlike that other grumpy Scottish git we had a while ago whose name escapes me 🤣

Neil always seemed a good guy but I have to hope Sunderland stay down. Only because we’re going to need three teams worse than us next season and I fancy we’ve got a better chance of finishing above Wycombe. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Neil always seemed a good guy but I have to hope Sunderland stay down. Only because we’re going to need three teams worse than us next season and I fancy we’ve got a better chance of finishing above Wycombe. 

Well thats optimism for you.

Great thread. If only we'd held on to that lead at Newcastle then who knows what may have happened. Top bloke though and will always be welcomed back at Carrow Rd.

From our perspective I sort of hope Wycombe wins as I can see Sunderland being quite strong in the Chump, plus it will be more competition for the Binners.

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'd have Alex Neil back over Dean Smith every day of the week 

I mean. Maybe 😆 His reaction to the goal at least proves he cares. Dean smith is a closed book sitting their on the touchline In a sweater vest drinking a brew from a mug. A MUG!.

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I mean. Maybe 😆 His reaction to the goal at least proves he cares. Dean smith is a closed book sitting their on the touchline I’m a sweater vest drinking a brew from a mug. A MUG!.

Your obsession with Smith's mug has literally been the most enjoyable part of this season 👍😂

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Your obsession with Smith's mug has literally been the most enjoyable part of this season 👍😂

It’s wrong and I’m not having it.

a mug on the touchline is as bad as an umbrella.

Just now, The Real Buh said:

It’s wrong and I’m not having it.

a mug on the touchline is as bad as an umbrella.

Where do we stand on gilets? 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Where do we stand on gilets? 

Depends on how padded they are

too little you look like Ralph C Nesbitt in your wife beater vest. Too much and you look like Marty McFly or you’re in the RNLI

you go club shop like lambert or Pulis or you rock a suit. Either/Or. 

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, the general census of opinion is that we like Alex Neil, but think Pritchard and Roberts are not as nice.

Sam Vokes anyone?

Good bloke . Played in the 1p5wich game 

21 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

So, the general census of opinion is that we like Alex Neil, but think Pritchard and Roberts are not as nice.

Sam Vokes anyone?

Genuinely no hate to Pritchard. Was good for us, left for a profit back to the prem. sure it didn’t go to plan but I don’t blame him. Roberts was just arrogant and ultimately not good for us. Shame because he’s clearly a talented player.