Sign in to follow this  
Rossi

Worth thinking about

It was yesterday that i believe that a bit of a penny dropped with me and i thought that i would share it with the board for comment.

I have to confess that I have always been a  bit surprised how 24,000 fans watch the game, but so few actively do much about other issues, whether it be official open days or demonstrations or even belonging to fans groups.

With the demonstration, as one poster had pointed out, ''only'' amassing an average (because there are so many different reports on attendance) of 500, and with a similiar amount attending at St Andrews Hall where are all the others ? Now one answer would be that the other 23,500 are pro-worthy, but we know thats not true based upon a couple of things. Firstly only three people voted for Nigel out of 517 I think it was on Thursday, secondly interviewers were talking to a lot of people outside of the protest on Saturday trying to find pro-Worthy supporters, and they found one. Even the allied commander Roy Waller has trouble getting pro-worthy speakers

This massive shortfall has puzzled me until the penny dropped.

I personally find this hard to believe, because of my own feelings, but it makes sense. If you think about how many people regularly post on here, for example, you are probably thinking of somewhere around 200 absolute tops. One thing we all have in common is that we are opinionated people that care for the club. If you hold football slightly lower down the pecking order for time / other demands / other interests then even though you love your football you don''t care about it as much. Maybe care isnt the right word to use, but you get my drift.

The thing is despite thousands of fans questionning what on earth has gone wrong this season, few are actually willing to do anything about it or even indicate one way or another. At a kids football match yesterday out of 12 season ticket holders, 11 didnt care if Nigel went or not, the 12th did care, he wanted Nigel out, but wasnt willing to offer any of his pre-match drinking time for demo''s etc.

Now, with that in mind does that say something about them or something about us????

Answers on a postcard !

This is why the news coverage of the worthy out stuff IS so useful. Rick Waghorn said what can they acheive with the meeting?

It acheives GREATER publicity for the cause which can help change peoples opinions and get people thinking maybe Nigels time is up,. when perhaps before they had not considered the possibility.