Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Wow, FIFA does something good!

It would be even better if one got the final.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12616576/qatar-world-cup-to-feature-three-female-referees-with-premier-leagues-michael-oliver-and-anthony-taylor-also-selected-to-officiate

Three female referees and three assistant referees who have already been paving the way for female officials in the men's game are included on the list for Qatar 2022.

Considering the location it just seems like further sportswashing to me.  I hate myself for even defaulting to that perspective, but it's simply how I feel.  They could've done this years ago, but it feels that it's done to raise their reputation following the Qatar controversies to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Considering the location it just seems like further sportswashing to me.  I hate myself for even defaulting to that perspective, but it's simply how I feel.  They could've done this years ago, but it feels that it's done to raise their reputation following the Qatar controversies to me.

Can't disagree with this, same with F1 going to Saudi. Seb did more to promote women's rights by getting a group together for some kart racing than F1 did the entire time it was there and in the press.

Anthony Taylor. Oh boy. So he's really in our top two referees. Isn't it weird how the standard of refereeing seems to have gone down as the standard of player has gone up over the last few years? 

FIFA/FA really need to have a fast track ex-player recruitment drive. Think of all those young players who don't quite make it or those who have to retire early who could make it a career. Pay them properly while they are training and when they qualify with a levy on the PL clubs, make them accountable and really professional rather than the ad hoc amateur nonsense we currently have.

42 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Its only good if theyre good enough to be there and not as tokenism

But they can only become good enough if given the chances.  If we can't tolerate people making mistakes then how can anyone learn?

We tolerate corruption, which is ten times worse.

24 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

But they can only become good enough if given the chances.  If we can't tolerate people making mistakes then how can anyone learn?

So can I replace Deano? How else will I get a job if I am not given a chance?

We don't tolerate corruption. We endure it.

38 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

A world cup finals isnt the platform to experiment

45 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It's exactly the platform, in order to get more girls and women interested in refereeing, you need to have woman present on the biggest stage. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

It's exactly the platform, in order to get more girls and women interested in refereeing, you need to have woman present on the biggest stage. 

Why do we have to differentiate between the sexes? Isn't it more important to get referees? And good ones based on ability not gender.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Its only good if theyre good enough to be there and not as tokenism

I am sure they are good enough to be there or they wouldn’t be. In the same way Taylor and Oliver are there and dross like Friend or Hooper isn’t. It would be worse for everyone if they turned up and weren’t up to it in some way.

2 minutes ago, 1902 said:

They have to have earned it first...theres plenty of club and international tournamenrs to officiate first before being handed a refereeing spot at a world cup finals

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I am sure they are good enough to be there or they wouldn’t be. In the same way Taylor and Oliver are there and dross like Friend or Hooper isn’t. It would be worse for everyone if they turned up and weren’t up to it in some way.

I wouldnt be 100% sure there. As I said , would it be the biggest surprise if this has been done for other reasons?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I would be 100% sure there. As I said , would it be the biggest surprise if this has been done for other reasons?

I think it’s much worse that you see women being selected and jump to tokenism tbh instead of thinking that maybe they HAVE earnt it.

Edited by Jambomo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why do we have to differentiate between the sexes? Isn't it more important to get referees? And good ones based on ability not gender.

Because we have differentiated since football began. Which has created a false narrative that women cannot referee top level mens sport. 

Given that we struggle to get referees at lower levels of the game, and the pool of men interested in football is presumably tapped out, it seems to me that it makes sense to try to encourage more participation from women.

We are also about to find out if these particular referees are any good. Unless you have seen them referee, why would you assume that they aren't up to it?

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They have to have earned it first...theres plenty of club and international tournamenrs to officiate first before being handed a refereeing spot at a world cup finals

They've done that, obviously they merit their place.

According to Fifa’s head of refereeing, Pierluigi Collina, the selection of officials was made without consideration to gender. “This concludes a long process that began several years ago with the deployment of female referees at Fifa men’s junior and senior tournaments,” Collina said.

“In this way, we clearly emphasise that it is quality that counts for us and not gender. I would hope that in the future, the selection of elite women’s match officials for important men’s competitions will be perceived as something normal and no longer as sensational.

“They deserve to be at the Fifa World Cup because they constantly perform at a really high level, and that’s the important factor for us.”

Frappart is one of the leading referees in women’s football and a trailblazer within the men’s game. In 2019 she refereed the final of the Women’s World Cup and became the first female official of a French Ligue 1 match, and refereed the men’s Uefa Super Cup between Liverpool and Chelsea. The following year she was the first woman to referee a men’s Champions League game and in 2021 the first to referee a men’s World Cup qualifier.

Yama****a, 36, has made a similar breakthrough in Asian competitions. She became the first female referee of a J1 League game in May of last year and this year has taken charge of matches in the Women’s Asian Cup and the Asian equivalent of the men’s Champions League. Mukansanga has officiated at the Africa Women Cup of Nations, the CAF Women’s Champions League and the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If you read the article as well, they have referred at league and international level (Champions league, AFCON).

• Like 1

Men cannot play women's football after kid's level. And I believe vice versa.

Isn't it just OK for once for the genders not be put into a melting pot. Men to play and officiate men's football and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They've done that, obviously they merit their place.

According to Fifa’s head of refereeing, Pierluigi Collina, the selection of officials was made without consideration to gender. “This concludes a long process that began several years ago with the deployment of female referees at Fifa men’s junior and senior tournaments,” Collina said.

“In this way, we clearly emphasise that it is quality that counts for us and not gender. I would hope that in the future, the selection of elite women’s match officials for important men’s competitions will be perceived as something normal and no longer as sensational.

“They deserve to be at the Fifa World Cup because they constantly perform at a really high level, and that’s the important factor for us.”

Frappart is one of the leading referees in women’s football and a trailblazer within the men’s game. In 2019 she refereed the final of the Women’s World Cup and became the first female official of a French Ligue 1 match, and refereed the men’s Uefa Super Cup between Liverpool and Chelsea. The following year she was the first woman to referee a men’s Champions League game and in 2021 the first to referee a men’s World Cup qualifier.

Yama****a, 36, has made a similar breakthrough in Asian competitions. She became the first female referee of a J1 League game in May of last year and this year has taken charge of matches in the Women’s Asian Cup and the Asian equivalent of the men’s Champions League. Mukansanga has officiated at the Africa Women Cup of Nations, the CAF Women’s Champions League and the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

We'll see...there seems to be a handful of mens games there aswell as obviously many high profile womens football matches.

Does that warrant be given a world cup spot alone over many male referres in world football who have officiated hundereds of doemestic,continental and interbational games?

Proof will be in the pudding.

I do recall the referee in the liverpool v chelsea game looking like a rabbit in head lights and losing control of the game ,whilst being vety card happy.

20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think it’s much worse that you see women being selected and jump to tokenism tbh instead of thinking that maybe they HAVE earnt it.

I'd be lying if I said I didnt have my suspicions

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Because we have differentiated since football began. Which has created a false narrative that women cannot referee top level mens sport. 

Given that we struggle to get referees at lower levels of the game, and the pool of men interested in football is presumably tapped out, it seems to me that it makes sense to try to encourage more participation from women.

We are also about to find out if these particular referees are any good. Unless you have seen them referee, why would you assume that they aren't up to it?

I haven't assumed anything about their ability. But with the women's game enlarging, they might be better off officiating the women's game.

12 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I haven't assumed anything about their ability. But with the women's game enlarging, they might be better off officiating the women's game.

Why? Unless it’s evident that there’s a physical issue, like blatantly not being able to keep up with play, I don’t see why women can’t make perfectly good match officials. Furthermore, there are no end of blokes doing the job that are absolutely ****ing useless so it’s not like the bar is set particularly high. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Why? Unless it’s evident that there’s a physical issue, like blatantly not being able to keep up with play, I don’t see why women can’t make perfectly good match officials. Furthermore, there are no end of blokes doing the job that are absolutely ****ing useless so it’s not like the bar is set particularly high. 

That didn't answer my point. Surely they will be needed in their own expanding game.

And the FA doesn't see officiating as equal. A level 5 referee in the men's game is equivalent to a level 3 referee in the women's game.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

That didn't answer my point. Surely they will be needed in their own expanding game.

And the FA doesn't see officiating as equal. A level 5 referee in the men's game is equivalent to a level 3 referee in the women's game.

So level 3 referees are going to be officiating? 

5 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Glad you’re not Chairman of British Airways 

14 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think it's really unfair to label this an 'experiment' just because they are female.  Take a look at their credentials, and you'll see Women's world cup final, Men's UEFA Super Cup, Men's Africa cup of nations and Men's Champions League experience in there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

So level 3 referees are going to be officiating? 

Not in the WSL. They have to be Level 1 via the women's path. I can only assume the women refs in the World Cup have taken the men's path.