Sign in to follow this  
Chelm Canary

Billy sharp headbutted.

I'm not even sure it has anything to do with football - some people just love violence and chaos and get carried away when they have the opportunity to behave however they please.

Is not even like they have been promoted yet. 

I went on to the pitch when we beat "them" in playoff and at Pompey when we won promotion.. joyous occasions both.

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, someone's been arrested. Arrests at football matches are increasing as well and are at their highest level in years. I would hope that's due to police being more diligent in spotting and dealing with offences, but it simply could be there are more feral cretins in there now.

Billy Sharp: Man arrested after Sheffield United captain assaulted following play-off defeat by Nottingham Forest - BBC Sport

It follows society and deprivation. That's why the 80s were so bad for football violence because Thatcher was in government and inequality went mental.

17 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It follows society and deprivation. That's why the 80s were so bad for football violence because Thatcher was in government and inequality went mental.

Thanks to right wing popularism the Tory’s are playing the perfect game of “wolf in sheeps clothing” these days so it’ll probably get worse.

As someone who has the pleasure of hanging around a lot of Leeds fans (good and bad), I know exactly the type of bloke that will be prone to this culture…

5 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Looks like Oli McBurnie hasn't done himself proud either:

Stamping on a forest fan on the floor 

Apparently, Sharp and Mcburnie were goading and baiting the fans all night from the bench. Doesnt warrant what happened but if footballers could also not be quite so thick it would help. They're in a privileged position.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Apparently, Sharp and Mcburnie were goading and baiting the fans all night from the bench. Doesnt warrant what happened but if footballers could also not be quite so thick it would help. They're in a privileged position

Not condoning the violence that occurred but play stupid games and win stupid prizes springs to mind. 

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I went on to the pitch when we beat "them" in playoff and at Pompey when we won promotion.. joyous occasions both.

A lot of players on that occasion, and after promotion games under Lambert, sprinted off the pitch so as to not get caught up in any possible pitch invasion. Players are human too and, justifiably, many aren't comfortable with hundreds of pumped up, possibly drunk, strangers charging towards them. That's not even mentioning the opposition and how're they're feeling at that moment and what may happen.

I was there too and don't feel anything extra was added to my sense of joy by ignoring the plea by the club to remain in the stands, and run at players, some/many/most of who were nervous and just wanted to get off the pitch. I'd love to speak to as many of the players as possible but, watch back at various pitch invasions, most aren't interested in talking to fans and are trying to get away. They want to celebrate with us, but in a safe, controlled way.

Of course the vast majority of fans are peaceful people who simply want to embrace the 'i was there' moment but unfortunately there are a few too many idiots in the world of football who spoil it for others and tarnish the prospect of a special moment by making players/staff and other fans nervous of what may happen.

I don't really see how running onto the pitch and grabbing or jumping up and down on your own players adds to the experience. I'd just take the promotion. 

More often than not the players look uncomfortable.

He pleaded guilty and got 24 weeks in jail

Edited by KiwiScot

On 18/05/2022 at 09:25, TeemuVanBasten said:

Been banned since 1991 you plonker.

Now now TuB.  Do three deep stomach breaths ...dont move your chest while doing them   , centre yourself.🧞‍♂️

Pitch invasions should be reserved for u16s or 14 or whatever age a junior ticket is for. Let kids have their fun. 

And it's happened again tonight at Port Vale where Swindon players have been attacked. Shameful  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke63 said:

And it's happened again tonight at Port Vale where Swindon players have been attacked. Shameful  

Drink and drugs is rife amongst the younger supporters in the league we’re going to. Be on your guard at away matches next season. 

5 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Its happening all over the country. Its almost accepted and it will keep happening. They'll be tonnes of footage on social media thanks to the phone paparazzi 

Maybe I'm old, but I just don't understand the thought process of these people.

Sure, if you want to invade the pitch and celebrate, thats great, but why would your first thought be, I'll go and abuse the opposition fans, or worse still, an opposition player still on the pitch.

Embarrassing scum.

• Like 1