Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Protest numbers dont tell the story

While the numbers were not as high as some campaign website posters had hoped for many of those not joining in the demonstration still supported the protestors with only one that the EDP could find who disapproved of it.

This quote from the EDP seems to show that there are not many worthy lovers out there. The EDP arent going to lie and so it seems the worthy out brigade is significantly bigger than the 300 , the worthy lovers think it is. I reckon that there were well over 500 once the protest had been going for 10 minutes, more arrived because either they were late, knew nothing about it beforehand or were waiting to see numbers before joining in.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

While the numbers were not as high as some campaign website posters had hoped for many of those not joining in the demonstration still supported the protestors with only one that the EDP could find who disapproved of it.

This quote from the EDP seems to show that there are not many worthy lovers out there. The EDP arent going to lie and so it seems the worthy out brigade is significantly bigger than the 300 , the worthy lovers think it is. I reckon that there were well over 500 once the protest had been going for 10 minutes, more arrived because either they were late, knew nothing about it beforehand or were waiting to see numbers before joining in.

[/quote]

''Knew nothing about it beforehand''  Did they come from another planet?

ROFL

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

[/quote]

what are you talking about arriving late,all thoses worthy outers mustb of known about the protest and what time it started and its been on this website ,in the pinkun,edp,evening news ,and ect ect and waiting to see how many join in.this sounds a bit of school playground ,what you should of said was  " the protest was not as big as you wanted to be and it failed "

and they is many worthy supporters out there.

worthy in worthy in

The protest was widely advertised/trailed/talked-up on the net and included in articles within the edp/een and on radio norfolk - I''m not sure how much more widely advertised it needs to get?? 

It has to be said that from a protest point of view 300 (or even 500) is a poor turnout: 24000 people attended a game only one hour later, and yet only just about 1-2% of them could be bothered to turn up an hour earlier to protest for something we are all suuposed to desperately want: this does not show that this is something that most hold dear to their hearts (but nor does it mean they do not sympathise).  What it surely does suggest is that the huge majority sits in neither the WO or KTF brigade, but somewhere inbetween - most people I know fall within that camp, myself included.

I would add that people who feel strongly about something should be entitled to protest - as people have done and will continue to do so. 

I know its an open forum here and debate is needed but i really do struggle to see how anybody who wants Worthy to stay has the clubs best interests at heart.

Thats what you thnk KOL but the EDP appear pretty neutral (although others would say pro worthy) on this and report only one person who did not approve of the protest of those spoken to at the ground - so are the worthy inners not attending games?  [;)]   The report represents the facts as seen by one reporter - nothing more nothing less but the protest was supported.

Did laugh at the game when I was shouting come on you yellows and OTBC at one of our corners that one such worhy inner asked why I was cheering the team on??!!  I had to chuckle

[quote user="Foggo_on_the wing"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

[/quote]

''Knew nothing about it beforehand''  Did they come from another planet?

ROFL

[/quote]

To be honest Foggo, anybody who thinks worthy is doing a good job at the  moment is on another planet...  I have never known an NCFC manager to make so many mistakes.  Hamilton was just plain inept and lost the players..  Worthy just cant get his tactics, team selection, formations, PR, man management or signings right at the moment...  pretty much the whole of his job...

in the end if you dont look on these pages, or read the local newspaper, or watch the evening news on that friday, i guess you wouldnt have known about it.  Me i dont get the evening news every day and certainly don''t watch the local news on tv, but get the pinkon on a saturday. so if i didnt waste all my time on the web may not have known about it

King of Latvia; I see that you conveniently missed the main point of Matt''s post, viz., that the (independent) EDP found plenty of non-active supporters for the protest but only one dissenter.

[quote user="king of latvia"][quote user="Matt Hudson"]

While the numbers were not as high as some campaign website

posters had hoped for many of those not joining in the demonstration

still supported the protestors with only one that the EDP could find

who disapproved of it.

This quote from the EDP seems to show that there are not many worthy

lovers out there. The EDP arent going to lie and so it seems the worthy

out brigade is significantly bigger than the 300 , the worthy lovers

think it is. I reckon that there were well over 500 once the protest

had been going for 10 minutes, more arrived because either they were

late, knew nothing about it beforehand or were waiting to see numbers

before joining in.

[/quote]

what are you talking about arriving late,all thoses worthy outers

mustb of known about the protest and what time it started and its been

on this website ,in the pinkun,edp,evening news ,and ect ect and

waiting to see how many join in.this sounds a bit of school playground

,what you should of said was  " the protest was not as big as you

wanted to be and it failed "

and they is many worthy supporters out there.

worthy in worthy in

[/quote]

I was late due to the bus actually. And no it didn''t fail.

He''s already "in". But with that attitude we''ll be playing teams like Nottingham Forest in no time. ;)

I didn''t go the protest, as I couldn''t get to the ground until 2.45, but I certainly support it. How many more are there in the same position?

Also, didn''t you notice the silent atmosphere in the ground, with hardly any noise from both the Barclay and Snakepit?

At least we got a win, but Stoke were rubbish. Lets see how we get on against Leeds?

People generally don''t protest no matter what the cause.

Think of all the people who are/were against hunting with hounds? Did all of them go on the protests? No.

Think of all the millions of people who are against the war in Iraq? Have they all protested? No.

There are vast swathes of people who have very strong opinions on topics but who will never actually go and protest about it. Its human nature. They think that "oh, it won''t make any difference whether I go or not"; they might just not be bothered, they might not want to, they might actually not feel as strongly as they think they do about it. And there are more reasons.

Protests only ever represent a small percentage of the true figures. And sometimes we don''t even bother to protest at all. Look at all the fuss and outrage about the Council Tax demands this year, both nationally and regionally, all sections of media reporting how people are appalled and worried about the rises...but I haven''t seen any protests yet, is it because people generally think it won''t make any difference if they do or don''t, or whether, annoyed and frustrated as they are, they have accepted it?

But it doesn''t mean that there aren''t people who are against it (nb) this isn''t meant to be a political argument, I''m just using them as examples!

Maybe there are countless more people against Worthington and for his removal. Or maybe not-it could be that the numbers that attended at the weekend are a true and valid representation of those who want change. Certainly, no-one can say, "...oh, only ''x'' people showed, that proves that people are behind NW..." -the far greater numbers are the silent ones, but, of course, they will never influence opinion, one way or the other, for that very reason.

The ultimate question is: will it make a difference? And I don''t think it will, infact, I think it has hardened the resolve of both the Board AND Manager to see this out, however long it takes. Certainly they''ll hold out for long after the protests etc have gone. Thats all they need to do. And they will.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

People generally don''t protest no matter what the cause.

Think of all the people who are/were against hunting with hounds? Did all of them go on the protests? No.

Think of all the millions of people who are against the war in Iraq? Have they all protested? No.

There are vast swathes of people who have very strong opinions on topics but who will never actually go and protest about it. Its human nature. They think that "oh, it won''t make any difference whether I go or not"; they might just not be bothered, they might not want to, they might actually not feel as strongly as they think they do about it. And there are more reasons.

Protests only ever represent a small percentage of the true figures. And sometimes we don''t even bother to protest at all. Look at all the fuss and outrage about the Council Tax demands this year, both nationally and regionally, all sections of media reporting how people are appalled and worried about the rises...but I haven''t seen any protests yet, is it because people generally think it won''t make any difference if they do or don''t, or whether, annoyed and frustrated as they are, they have accepted it?

But it doesn''t mean that there aren''t people who are against it (nb) this isn''t meant to be a political argument, I''m just using them as examples!

Maybe there are countless more people against Worthington and for his removal. Or maybe not-it could be that the numbers that attended at the weekend are a true and valid representation of those who want change. Certainly, no-one can say, "...oh, only ''x'' people showed, that proves that people are behind NW..." -the far greater numbers are the silent ones, but, of course, they will never influence opinion, one way or the other, for that very reason.

The ultimate question is: will it make a difference? And I don''t think it will, infact, I think it has hardened the resolve of both the Board AND Manager to see this out, however long it takes. Certainly they''ll hold out for long after the protests etc have gone. Thats all they need to do. And they will.

[/quote]

the protest will only go when the team actually gets in the top 6, something that has not happened this season

As I have mentioned before on this forum, I went to the protest to show the Directors of NCFC that those that are unhappy with the style and quality of the fare served up to us loyal fans are not a "hooligan minority". As I have also said before I accept that not every body holds the same view as me. If the "Worthy Out" brigade are such a small minority as suggested (300 out of 24,000) why was there not a "wall of noise" from the 23,700 "Worthy Supporters" ?.

Old shuck makes the point I have tried make elsehwre far more sensibly than I did.. it is against human nature to protest even for strongly held opinions and beliefs

This thread pretty much explains the clueless nature of the ''johnny come lately'' rabble. Their assumption is that if you don''t over excite yourself by making ridiculous demands the you support the mangers position 100%.

This is what is causing a lot of anger from the more sane element. Having a mass ''squeak in'' before the game serves no one other than those who have little else to offer in the way of reasoned debate.

The club, the players and the real supporters have only contempt for those who claim they speak for the rest of us. We have contempt for this gutless, infantile rabble who believe that their Cpl Jones " Don''t panic " behaviour is the best solution.

Be assured the club will not sack Worthington because of a handful of teenagers and kids. Neither do the latter speak for the rest of us.

Thank god most will be gone by next season.