Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Jake Daniels Blackpool

This thread is proof that the off topic people should always stay in their prison camp off-topic board. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with them?

Poor parenting has allowed the interfering left wing educators to move into far too many areas of our kids lives.

This is just another example.

On 16/05/2022 at 17:39, Midlands Yellow said:

First player since Justin Fashanu to come out as gay. Good on the lad, I hope it’s gives others the strength too to be open and comfortable within professional football. 

In the 'intrests of diversity' I'm sure he is looking forward to his first international cap.

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

As someone who defines himself as a gay man, I can assure you that being emotionally and physically attracted to other men is not a choice, at least in my own case.

Obviously, I disagree with almost everything in your post, but what worries me about this particular part is that it suggests you would accept conversion therapy, which a) screws up people even more about their sexuality, b) doesn't work.

OK. This thread has a clear stance on being gay by a gay man.

Let's see if the hectoring heterosexual Bible boys will engage.

Or, like in the previous BLM threads, will they stick to lecturing middle aged white males about liberal decadence and the non existent threat to their world?

Edited by The Bristol Nest
Punctuation

I'm very much happy that the PinkUn forum doesn't even bother biting or responding to the Ipswich fan trying to troll on this thread. Apart from this observation, of course 🙂 

14 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

A genuine experience. Edited by me obviously. Any challengers?

Thought not.🤐

Edited by The Bristol Nest

21 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

This thread is proof that the off topic people should always stay in their prison camp off-topic board. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with them?

Agree and sorry for my part in the digression, let’s get this back to real football issues like whether a manager drinking from a mug is morally wrong 😂

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Poor parenting has allowed the interfering left wing educators to move into far too many areas of our kids lives.

This is just another example.

I’m glad we can agree that poor parenting is the reason for the problems in our kids lives. 
Also worth remembering that the right wing government and their good friends at Ofsted set out what school’s have to teach or face the consequences. Although to be honest it’s weird that it’s only the children of crap parents that come to school spouting discriminatory language and bully the other kids. Conincidence?

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Agree and sorry for my part in the digression, let’s get this back to real football issues like whether a manager drinking from a mug is morally wrong 😂

It is and you know it sooooo……….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m glad we can agree that poor parenting is the reason for the problems in our kids lives. 
Also worth remembering that the right wing government and their good friends at Ofsted set out what school’s have to teach or face the consequences. Although to be honest it’s weird that it’s only the children of crap parents that come to school spouting discriminatory language and bully the other kids. Conincidence?

Your mate Blair messed this country up and there will be no putting the evil genie back in the bottle.

Edited by Nora's Ghost

On 20/05/2022 at 18:25, horsefly said:

Naturally you avoid the colossal difference between science and the myths of religion. Science progresses towards a greater and more complete explanation of reality, religion doesn't. Errors in science are corrected as a result rational empirical investigation, the errors of religion remain in place and are cherished by fundamentalists of all hues (Christian Muslim etc).

If you want to understand human consciousness there is plenty of science on the subject that doesn't require resort to some myth about the will of a mysterious divine being.

BTW, which scientists are members of the Flat Earth Society?

It. Is indeed a great shame that religious fundamentalists drive a stake in the ground from which they defend the position to the death. We should learn from the scientific process that a theory is only good until it is replaced by a better one. But at the same time we have to recognise that religions around the world and across time have made a stab at understanding being given the information available at the time. The problem I have with atheists like Dawkins and Hutchins is that they cherry pick stuff that only fundamentalists believe in and then reject the lot. It's like me rejecting all of science because alchemists got it wrong. 

Scientists in the Flat Earth Society? Be careful. A scientist is a social construct and therefore these days any idiot can call themselves a scientist, as Covid proved. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

It. Is indeed a great shame that religious fundamentalists drive a stake in the ground from which they defend the position to the death. We should learn from the scientific process that a theory is only good until it is replaced by a better one. But at the same time we have to recognise that religions around the world and across time have made a stab at understanding being given the information available at the time. The problem I have with atheists like Dawkins and Hutchins is that they cherry pick stuff that only fundamentalists believe in and then reject the lot. It's like me rejecting all of science because alchemists got it wrong. 

Scientists in the Flat Earth Society? Be careful. A scientist is a social construct and therefore these days any idiot can call themselves a scientist, as Covid proved. 

I agree with this. Dawkins, especially, loves to set up crazed fundamentalists as straw men. On the few occasions when I have seen him debate an educated and intelligent Christian, he has definitely come off second best in my opinion because he is so weak philosophically. I accept that he's a biologist not a philosopher, so it's not fair to judge him as the latter, but he chose to enter this philosophical argument and so we might expect some degree of sophistication of thought on the topic (although he would probably deny that it was a philosophical argument because he assumes that his own physicalism is a brute fact rather than a philosophical position).  

Meanwhile, who's going to be relegated - Burnley or Leeds?

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

I agree with this. Dawkins, especially, loves to set up crazed fundamentalists as straw men. On the few occasions when I have seen him debate an educated and intelligent Christian, he has definitely come off second best in my opinion because he is so weak philosophically. I accept that he's a biologist not a philosopher, so it's not fair to judge him as the latter, but he chose to enter this philosophical argument and so we might expect some degree of sophistication of thought on the topic (although he would probably deny that it was a philosophical argument because he assumes that his own physicalism is a brute fact rather than a philosophical position).  

Meanwhile, who's going to be relegated - Burnley or Leeds?

If you want to hear intelligent debate about it then try cosmicskeptic, he's got a degree in philosophy and theology from Oxford, his latest video is this one about if he has considered reverting to Christianity and is pretty interesting

1 minute ago, cornish sam said:

If you want to hear intelligent debate about it then try cosmicskeptic, he's got a degree in philosophy and theology from Oxford, his latest video is this one about if he has considered reverting to Christianity and is pretty interesting

I used to watch this guy until he became a vegan evangelist. Since then, I think the quality of his thinking has plummeted.

Just now, canarybubbles said:

I used to watch this guy until he became a vegan evangelist. Since then, I think the quality of his thinking has plummeted.

Yeah, his vegan tendancies do rub me up the wrong way but he is a relatively skilled debater and has a very good background knowledge

3 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Yeah, his vegan tendancies do rub me up the wrong way but he is a relatively skilled debater and has a very good background knowledge

It's not that he's a vegan and promotes veganism that bothers me. It's that all the things he claims to stand for - a cool, dispassionate appraisal of the pros and cons of an idea - fly out of the window as soon as he starts to talk about veganism. I can't help but feel that he has exchanged one form of religious belief for another.

10 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's not that he's a vegan and promotes veganism that bothers me. It's that all the things he claims to stand for - a cool, dispassionate appraisal of the pros and cons of an idea - fly out of the window as soon as he starts to talk about veganism. I can't help but feel that he has exchanged one form of religious belief for another.

That is what the majority of atheists do, their belief that there is no god is just as powerful and dogmatic as most religious people's belief there is and you then also end up with the same evangelicals and zealots who are just as bad and intolerant of those with religion as vice versa....

With cosmicskeptic I do just ignore all of his vegan/animal rights stuff as it does tend to get dogmatic, but he does approach the religion arguement in a very calm and dispassionate way.

On 17/05/2022 at 08:02, Dean Coneys boots said:

Fair enough. I’m just saying a person’s bedroom life, in my opinion, is the least interesting thing about them. I think there is far too much fanfare around coming out these days, people celebrated in the media as if it is heroic and virtuous and they have done something just amazing…. when, in truth, the battle was won years ago and that lifestyle is positively trendy these days. Schools have gay month AND gay history month. To claim it’s edgy is odd- pushing against an open door more like. Society currently adores lgbt- every institution promotes and celebrates it, every school endorses it…so how was it brave? 

I hate this argument. It's also used against feminists and people of colour. "Yes, there used to be prejudice, but that's in the past. Everyone is equal nowadays, and there is no prejudice or discrimination any more, so why do some extremists feel the need to keep banging on about women's rights, black rights, gay rights? The real victims nowadays are the racists, the misogynists, the homophobes, who aren't allowed to express their hatred in public."

If you think black people don't get shot by the cops in America, that gay people don't get queer-bashed, and that women have equal pay with men, you are living in an alternative universe.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Your mate Blair messed this country up and there will be no putting the evil genie back in the bottle.

I don’t vote Labour.