Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Jake Daniels Blackpool

First player since Justin Fashanu to come out as gay. Good on the lad, I hope it’s gives others the strength too to be open and comfortable within professional football. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 12

Happy for him! Hope he doesn’t take any s41t from any knuckle draggers.

hopefully his courage can inspire others. It can’t be nice to live a lie

6 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Good luck to the bloke - hope this transpires to be a total non-issue …

Yeah that's my hope. the reason nobody has before is because they were not just worried about abuse but also worried about having to deal with the pressure of being a role model for other gay footballers and having that stigma attached to them. You can already hear the idiots claiming the club signing this player is only doing it because they're virtue signalling blah blah blah. I can totally understand why none of them want to deal with that grief. Brave and if it was me I'd rather just keep it private to avoid the hassle so fair play to the lad. Hopefully Daniels coming out encourages others to so nobody ends up being singled out and football can just move on and these lads can all have normal careers. 

• Like 1

Not really the high profile player that LGBTQ folk need to come out to radically change things, but hopefully this is largely a non-issue and it can help to pave the way.

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yeah that's my hope. the reason nobody has before is because they were not just worried about abuse but also worried about having to deal with the pressure of being a role model for other gay footballers and having that stigma attached to them. You can already hear the idiots claiming the club signing this player is only doing it because they're virtue signalling blah blah blah. I can totally understand why none of them want to deal with that grief. Brave and if it was me I'd rather just keep it private to avoid the hassle so fair play to the lad. Hopefully Daniels coming out encourages others to so nobody ends up being singled out and football can just move on and these lads can all have normal careers. 

Yes, it really shouldn't be an issue in 2022.

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not really the high profile player that LGBTQ folk need to come out to radically change things, but hopefully this is largely a non-issue and it can help to pave the way.

Might be the best way to approach it though. A few less known players to start with and then the stars know there is nothing to fear.

Just interviewed the Thetford Town player manager on TalkSport as until today he was the highest profile openly gay player..... That's staggering. 

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Just interviewed the Thetford Town player manager on TalkSport as until today he was the highest profile openly gay player..... That's staggering. 

Only current openly gay Pro in the WORLD other than Daniels is some chap in Australia.

Here's hoping his stand enables others to live their lives authentically. It does speak volumes that it's a 17 y/o player that's done so, at the start of his career and probably been more exposed to more egalitarian social attitudes in that regard.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Only current openly gay Pro in the WORLD other than Daniels is some chap in Australia.

The only other openly gay male pro footballer...

Bit still, well done that lad, let's hope it's the start of normalisation so others can be who they want to be.

Edited by cornish sam
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Brave lad... good on him.

Brave or clever? He will now get massive media attention, will be wanted by other clubs to help the virtue signalling and I suspect his career will benefit. And because it is not 1970 I doubt anyone will care at all. Indeed it will be celebrated. As a friend who works for the bbc recently joked to me “brave would be coming out at my workplace as a right wing Christian or Trump supporter not gay!” 

Edited by Dean Coneys boots

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

The only other openly gay male pro footballer...

Bit still, well done that lad, let's hope it's the start of normalisation so others can be who they want to be.

You are completely correct of course, I stand corrected, but the acronym LGTBQ confuses things somewhat as there is an L for Lesbian and a G for Gay. Whilst all in the acronym celebrate 'Gay Pride'.  I'd rather I just admitted you are completely correct than go too deep into semantics though as somebody will throw the gender identity thing into the mix to confuse matters even further🤣 

40 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Brave or clever? He will now get massive media attention, will be wanted by other clubs to help the virtue signalling and I suspect his career will benefit. And because it is not 1970 I doubt anyone will care at all. Indeed it will be celebrated. As a friend who works for the bbc recently joked to me “brave would be coming out at my workplace as a right wing Christian or Trump supporter not gay!” 

"friend"

Yeah OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To suggest that because it’s not 1970 people won’t care is naive beyond measure. We literally have racism every week when we’ve known for decades it’s grotesque. The same utter c*ckwombles will happily and unapologetically spout homophobic guff at every opportunity. They’ll do it because they already do it and they know because they’re all coked up stabby joes that no one will ever call them out. 

This lad is incredibly brave and if his career progresses into more public eye and he plays in front of decent crowds then he will be getting pelters until he retires. Too many feel it’s acceptable as it’s just ‘passion’ spilling over in the heat of battle and a part of the game. That same mentality is why players can openly abuse the referee and face no consequences - in fact if referees actually punished them for it THEY would be criticised. In no workplace is it ok to do it. So how did it get to this? Simple, too few actually care enough to regulate and prosecute when they should. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Lol give over. What is the alternative? If he’d just stayed quiet but lived as he wanted, the second he got caught in public with a fella the tabloids would have been all over it. Sad but true. If you actually read what he said today maybe you might understand why he felt the need to go public.

Its not going to get him a big move anyway. Imagine he turned up at say West Ham and wasn’t up to scratch… he’d get all sorts of unwanted attention such is the fickle nature of football fans. He will get the opportunities he deserves through what he shows on the pitch. Wouldn’t really be much of a virtue signal if someone signed him and then stuck him in the reserves for his contract.

• Like 3

Fair enough. I’m just saying a person’s bedroom life, in my opinion, is the least interesting thing about them. I think there is far too much fanfare around coming out these days, people celebrated in the media as if it is heroic and virtuous and they have done something just amazing…. when, in truth, the battle was won years ago and that lifestyle is positively trendy these days. Schools have gay month AND gay history month. To claim it’s edgy is odd- pushing against an open door more like. Society currently adores lgbt- every institution promotes and celebrates it, every school endorses it…so how was it brave? 

11 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Good Lad Young Jake...As a poster alluded to earlier, it shouldn't even be an issue....

Yep- that is kind of the point I am making. Yet it’s made an issue by the very people - especially media- who claim to make that point. On Twitter there is a fan suggesting everyone take Rainbow flags to wave at the Blackpool game next season in celebration. Which, when you really think about it, is just bizarre. 

It's "made an issue" simply as bigotry against any atypical, non-nuclear set-up is still widely prevalent. In an ideal world it shouldn't be, but unfortunately we still have large and immature swathes of the country still being stuck either believing the Bible all too literally or stuck in the Victorian period when it comes to "morals".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's "made an issue" simply as bigotry against any atypical, non-nuclear set-up is still widely prevalent. In an ideal world it shouldn't be, but unfortunately we still have large and immature swathes of the country still being stuck either believing the Bible all too literally or stuck in the Victorian period when it comes to "morals".

Which bit of the bible being taken literally are you referring to here? Or is it ok to denigrate people’s religious beliefs but not their sexual behaviour?  

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Which bit of the bible being taken literally are you referring to here? Or is it ok to denigrate people’s religious beliefs but not their sexual behaviour?  

These bits: A very brief glance at passages that may discuss homosexuality (religioustolerance.org)

It's fine to denigrate beliefs if they are based on ignorance, resulting in bigoted nonsense as any anti-gay sentiment, which also flies in the face of behaviours observed in many other animals as well as humans. 

Not all Christians (or indeed all adherents of Abrahamic religions) have an anti-gay agenda.

If you're going to argue that the Bible is not inherently anti-homosexual, and there is a problem with many strains of Christianity, especially the fundamentalist/evangelical set, misinterpreting and twisting it to suit an agenda then I would probably agree. 

Firstly arguing that animals do something tells is nothing. Dogs sniff each other’s bums in the street as a greeting- does this make it acceptable for us?! Humans have always been held to be above animals in the created order and therefore answerable to a higher form of morality. 

secondly, leaving aside the rude and contemptuous manner in which you treat Christian’s here (remind me who  the bigots are?) - it simply won’t do to claim a moral high ground where truth is concerned and dismiss the people you disagree with as ignorant. 

Now you might not like or subscribe to the traditional Christian/ biblical view that sex should never be divorced from its procreative purpose. But to claim that view is homophobic is unfair. After all it makes no particular demands on gay people that it doesn’t also make of any single straight Christian- such as widows for example. 

And however much people dislike it an argument can be made as regards the natural law. Put bluntly God, if He exists, created each person with precisely one half of a working reproductive system. Putting the same halves together does not produce life. Ergo it is logical and fair to assume the intended purpose is for men and women to mate. That isn’t hate speech it is naturally observable fact. 

The bible also holds that everyone should be treated with love and respect. So here Christian’s might argue - being gay is absolutely fine with God but that this doesn’t automatically mean a green moral light for all and any sexual behaviour. Again you are free to disagree but it isn’t fair to say such a view is hateful. The exact same advice is given to straight people. 

Believe it or not truths about human sexuality did not begin with the sexual revolution of the 1960s. That revolution means most people today think they primary purpose of sex is self fulfilment and enjoyment. But most previous generations, especially before the advent of contraception, disagreed. They saw the prime purpose as family life. 

so Christian’s come at the whole thing from a very different, and often challenging, angle. It does not make them haters. And it is dishonest when the media and comments like yours make out it does. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Fair enough. I’m just saying a person’s bedroom life, in my opinion, is the least interesting thing about them. I think there is far too much fanfare around coming out these days, people celebrated in the media as if it is heroic and virtuous and they have done something just amazing…. when, in truth, the battle was won years ago and that lifestyle is positively trendy these days. Schools have gay month AND gay history month. To claim it’s edgy is odd- pushing against an open door more like. Society currently adores lgbt- every institution promotes and celebrates it, every school endorses it…so how was it brave? 

If it wasn't brave or a big issue then why have no other footballers come out and even when Tomas hitzelsperger came out in 2014 said that he didn't feel he could do so publicly whilst he was still playing?

I'm glad that you think that the battle was won years ago but for many of the the people who actually have had to fight the battle it still isn't over...

• Like 2

Perhaps only a very tiny number were gay and those who were preferred to keep it quiet which, as a libertarian, I would argue was their right?

ballet and ice skating has huge numbers of out and proud stars- as does women’s rugby. It might just be about what people gravitate to. 

though I will concede working class football culture might be behind the curve a bit and in need of more work. In that regard this might be helpful. 

Except humans ARE animals. Charles Darwin made that abundantly clear.

The point is, what is seen as the "traditional" Biblical view is often due to a misreading/misunderstanding of various texts and there's not even agreement amongst Christians. Hence the link that was thrown in. (There's a similar problem re. modesty and the use of the burqa in Islam too). 

Sex is a bonding tool first, a procreational one second, so that "traditional" stance regarding sex being just for procreational purposes is built on a serious error (You'll find this is largely due to oxytocin release during sex, not to forget that women are only 'viable' for pregnancy for one week per month via the menstrual cycle). No-one said that stance was homophobic, so that's a strawman you built.

What is dishonest is purporting that a "traditional" Biblical stance is representative of all Christians, as this link also makes clear, and I quote verbatim:

"Overall, a solid majority of white mainline Protestants (62%) now favor allowing gays and lesbians to wed, with just 33% opposed, according to a 2015 Pew Research Center survey. A similar share (63%) say there is “no conflict” between their religious beliefs and homosexuality."

Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center

(Not remotely surprised that the Episcopals and the Quakers are in there as religious groups taking more liberal stances).

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Perhaps only a very tiny number were gay and those who were preferred to keep it quiet which, as a libertarian, I would argue was their right?

ballet and ice skating has huge numbers of out and proud stars- as does women’s rugby. It might just be about what people gravitate to. 

though I will concede working class football culture might be behind the curve a bit and in need of more work. In that regard this might be helpful. 

Agree with the bit in bold.