Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Predictable Norwich

We are as a club predictable. That's not saying this is bad because at least you know where you are if you like me have supported them for years.We spend big money this season on some average players, expect them to keep us up.Fail in that one,Next up sack the board,sell club,need to invest big money.Bottom of table ,let's finish 2nd bottom .Repeat for next 5 years until luck runs out .Stay in champs .Found our level etc.Very very frustrating. But call me predictable if you like I will support this club for the rest of my life because ,well I guess its because I must love it.

1 hour ago, mr footy said:

We are as a club predictable. That's not saying this is bad because at least you know where you are if you like me have supported them for years.We spend big money this season on some average players, expect them to keep us up.Fail in that one,Next up sack the board,sell club,need to invest big money.Bottom of table ,let's finish 2nd bottom .Repeat for next 5 years until luck runs out .Stay in champs .Found our level etc.Very very frustrating. But call me predictable if you like I will support this club for the rest of my life because ,well I guess its because I must love it.

We didn’t spend big money. Our record transfer is smaller than every single club in the division. Transfer fee is just one cost, when you consider fees and wages we are not big spenders. When you look at net spend it’s 20 million on fees. Hardly the 100+ million spend seen by Fulham and Villa when they got promoted.

p.s Brentford spent 10 million net more than us this season.

Edited by hertfordyellow

13 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

It's all about marginal gains - unfortunately without a Chair / CEO overseeing matters, no-one is pushing for these consistently within the club across the piece.

13 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

We didn’t spend big money. Our record transfer is smaller than every single club in the division. Transfer fee is just one cost, when you consider fees and wages we are not big spenders. When you look at net spend it’s 20 million on fees. Hardly the 100+ million spend seen by Fulham and Villa when they got promoted.

You’re deducting the Buendia money from our spend. Your not allowed to do that on here. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You’re deducting the Buendia money from our spend. Your not allowed to do that on here. 

Well, you shouldn’t do so if you are not doing the same with the comparator you’re using.  That said, I don’t suppose Bees were daft enough to sell many of their best players. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just as a point of interest. Do we actually know if that transfer was paid in full, or as we can see with Burnley borrowing against the Chris Woods sale, the transfer happens and settlement is post completion. So, was the buendia money even available to spend at the time? 

1 minute ago, Thumbbass said:

Just as a point of interest. Do we actually know if that transfer was paid in full, or as we can see with Burnley borrowing against the Chris Woods sale, the transfer happens and settlement is post completion. So, was the buendia money even available to spend at the time? 

I also doubt we paid up front for the lads coming in, at the end of the day our spending was fairly modest. 

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I also doubt we paid up front for the lads coming in, at the end of the day our spending was fairly modest. 

I just think the whole expenditure thing is a bit more nuanced than is being made out. That doesn't justify the failure of the recruitment strategy, but it might explain the ceiling value on the players we signed and the wages we pay (or won't pay).

41 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, you shouldn’t do so if you are not doing the same with the comparator you’re using.  That said, I don’t suppose Bees were daft enough to sell many of their best players. 

Both are NET figures i'm using.

37 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

It's a good question. Unless they volunteer the information, we'll have to await the accounts. My opinion is, the reason Villa were successful and Arsenal were not is because of the amount upfront in the deal. Webber wouldn't sell if he couldn't use the funds in that window.

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

It's all about marginal gains - unfortunately without a Chair / CEO overseeing matters, no-one is pushing for these consistently within the club across the piece.

My point was, there is a narrative that we were big spenders on this board. I was illustrating that in terms of NET spend we were far less than Brentford in the end. They spent it wisely and good luck to them, i'm not suggesting they spent their way out of trouble either.

Another point to make is, people say we spent 60 million on this team and it is worse than the 2019/2020 team. We were able to spent 60 million because we sold the likes of Buendia, Lewis and Godfrey. Farke had these players at his disposal in 2019, who are all playing for Premiership teams now. If we had kept all three players and spent the 60 million then they would have a point, but we didn't. 

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It is still not 20 million. Daily says we received 33 million for Buendia.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

It is still not 20 million. Daily says we received 33 million for Buendia.

Ok so what was the total spend? Most of the fees weren’t confirmed.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2021&s_w=&leihe=1&intern=0

I think we are squabbling over a few million here or there.

Edited by hertfordyellow

19 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I think we are squabbling over a few million here or there.

We are! Probably nearer £25 million net than £20 million.

The real issue is that we spent nearly £60 million to little effect. I'm hoping that some will come good next year when/ if they regain confidence.

35 minutes ago, Badger said:

We are! Probably nearer £25 million net than £20 million.

The real issue is that we spent nearly £60 million to little effect. I'm hoping that some will come good next year when/ if they regain confidence.

This is true. I think Rashica will leave and we’ll get our money back on him. He hasn’t looked out of place at this level. Lees-Meleu was pretty cheap, someone in France will match the fee. Same with Gianoulis. Gibson looks like the one we will lose the most on.

37 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

This is true. I think Rashica will leave and we’ll get our money back on him. He hasn’t looked out of place at this level. Lees-Meleu was pretty cheap, someone in France will match the fee. Same with Gianoulis. Gibson looks like the one we will lose the most on.

I think that they will all do well in the Championship.

I think Rashica is the most likely to leave, but would not be at all surprised if the other 3 stay.

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think that they will all do well in the Championship.

I think Rashica is the most likely to leave, but would not be at all surprised if the other 3 stay.

I’m of the mindset that Tzolis will either leave in the summer for a much reduced fee back to Greece or stay and rip the Championship to shreds. I don’t think there is an in between.

8 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I’m of the mindset that Tzolis will either leave in the summer for a much reduced fee back to Greece or stay and rip the Championship to shreds. I don’t think there is an in between.

What kind of money would he earn back in Greece? Doubt it would match what he’s getting here. 

24 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Could be wrong, but I think they got him on a 5-year contract. Suggest to me that they see him as a "long-term project."

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What kind of money would he earn back in Greece? Doubt it would match what he’s getting here. 

He won’t but if he is that homesick he won’t care.

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

Could be wrong, but I think they got him on a 5-year contract. Suggest to me that they see him as a "long-term project."

If he is that unhappy here, they’ll have to cut their losses.

Is there anything plausible about the unhappiness rumours or is it just social media stuff?

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Is there anything plausible about the unhappiness rumours or is it just social media stuff?

Well a young lad who hasn’t left home before is now in a completely new world. It seems very plausible but not confirmed as you say. He might just not be good enough, let’s hope he turns it around.

• Like 1

Rashica will not leave, look at his stats, not good enough to attract interest to get the money back.  Smith will need to get the Tzolis bandwagon rolling, otherwise write off the £10m, still P'ing it up the wall.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

The real issue is that we spent nearly £60 million to little effect. 

I would say it had quite a big effect. Just not the one that was intended.