Departure: Decline

With some gangnam style in the middle. 

And the 'Moxey months'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

🤣Crack open another 🍺 beer Shef. Sit back and 😉 enjoy. 👌

🍺🍺🍺 it's still the weekend!

14 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

You’re missing the point mate.  A CEO / Chair isn’t just there to lead / oversee during the good times.  They’re there to provide leadership and hold people accountable when things have been disastrous.

Not really.

There's still a lot to come out in the wash, I'm sure, but in the eyes of the 3 people that matter most (Delia, Webber and MWJ) this season probably won't be classed as disasterous (outside of a couple of very avoidable moments or sponsorships). Certainly not as disasterious as some are making out. I'm assuming the finances are fine, we're breaking more ground for infastructure projects this summer and as much as people won't agree we with me right now we are going to start next season with one of the strongest squads in the Championship. There's seemingly no desire for more at top of the club so this season will be classed as acceptable.

35 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I'm assuming the finances are fine

See, with no CEO and no CFO... I worry greatly about this. 

You'd expect a CFO to be modelling and forecasting wouldn't you, do we have some Welsh chap with a few coaching badges and his missus in charge of the dosh now?

It's a bit odd for a company with a £100m+ turnover to not have a Finance Director. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

See, with no CEO and no CFO... I worry greatly about this. 

You'd expect a CFO to be modelling and forecasting wouldn't you, do we have some Welsh chap with a few coaching badges and his missus in charge of the dosh now?

It's a bit odd for a company with a £100m+ turnover to not have a Finance Director. 

I think FeedTheWolf put this to bed earlier in the thread TVB. 👍

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/anthony-richens-talks-club-accounts-and-investment-progress

Edited by Duncan Edwards

55 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

in the eyes of the 3 people that matter most (Delia, Webber and MWJ)

Again, you miss the point. 

Exactly why businesses have CEOs / Chairs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

You’re missing the point mate.  A CEO / Chair isn’t just there to lead / oversee during the good times.  They’re there to provide leadership and hold people accountable when things have been disastrous.

Lets hope to God that Everton have got one then..........................

Forget for one moment the individuals involved, this goes far deeper than not having an independent chair - the whole purpose of non-executive Directors is to hold the executive officers accountable.

Until recently, with the appointment of Zoe Ward, the Board was all non-executive directors. Proper corporate governance has a balanced board between accountable executive officers, who are also directors, and non-executive directors. Which ever way you spin it, the current executive team of six aren’t truly accountable. 

• Like 1

This may be wrong but as I understand it when we brought in the change to having a sporting director and a head coach the traditional role of a CEO was in effect split between Webber, Ward and Kensell (now Webber and Ward), and the traditional role of the manager was split between Webber and Farke (now Smith).

So we didn't not have someone doing what a CEO did. it was just that it was more than one person. And we didn't not have someone doing what a manager did. It was again just more than one person.

Whether that is a better or worse system than having one easily identifiable person is a question. It probably depends. And until  recently none of those doing the CEO job was on the board. Which has been rectified. What has not is the lack of new non-executive directors on the board to beef up shef's and my favourite boring topic of corporate governance.😎

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This may be wrong but as I understand it when we brought in the change to having a sporting director and a head coach the traditional role of a CEO was in effect split between Webber, Ward and Kensell (now Webber and Ward), and the traditional role of the manager was split between Webber and Farke (now Smith).

So we didn't not have someone doing what a CEO did. it was just that it was more than one person. And we didn't not have someone doing what a manager did. It was again just more than one person.

Whether that is a better or worse system than having one easily identifiable person is a question. It probably depends. And until  recently none of those doing the CEO job was on the board. Which has been rectified. What has not is the lack of new non-executive directors on the board to beef up shef's and my favourite boring topic of corporate governance.😎

Surely this goes beyond the number of non-executive directors on the board? It’s about the balance between executive officers (we currently have six, only one of whom is now on the board) and non-executive directors (we currently have five on the board) having the necessary expertise and being able to hold the executive officers to account? 

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Two consecutive sentences with double negatives in Purp's - wassgornon?

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Two consecutive sentences with double negatives in Purp's - wassgornon?

I decided to set a Sunday evening sobriety test for posters to see if they could navigate their way through the double negatives...😍

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I decided to set a Sunday evening sobriety test for posters to see if they could navigate their way through the double negatives...😍

Ah ha, no surprise I really struggled - had to re-read 3 times! 🍻

34 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ah ha, no surprise I really struggled - had to re-read 3 times! 🍻

Brave of you to admit it!

Think its fair to say Ed Ball's time as stand in chairman delivered a mixed bag. He was there when we recruited Moxey (not saying that was his decision) and he dished out a couple of quite juicy new contracts that had to be paid off not long thereafter. But then he did also push for the Sporting Director model and was part of recruiting Webber which obviously then led to a period of relative success.

All that said I do completely agree with the point that we need someone in that sort of public facing CEO/chairman role. As i've said before, i think they would have been able to prevent or mitigate a lot of this recent Webber related fallout and the general souring of relations between the fans and board (the communication these days is abysmal) and also remove the sense of unease that I have that the Webbers more or less have carte blanche to do what they like with very few checks and balances. 

We definitely need that oversight and governance, trouble is if we promote from within it's likely to be Zoe Ward.  

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We definitely need that oversight and governance, trouble is if we promote from within it's likely to be Zoe Ward.  

We definitely need that oversight and governance ( Yes and Yes again.)

trouble is if we promote from within it's likely to be Zoe Ward.  ( please tell me you had a bad dream last night and woke up 😓 sweating) . 🤣

My gut feeling is, its already like this with the Webber-Ward dream team. Status Quo.

--‐---‐             ------           -------         -------- 🙈

Get down deeper and down
Down down deeper and down
Get down deeper and down
I want all the world to see
To see you're laughing, and you're laughing at me
I can take it all from you
Again again again again
Again again again and deeper and down
Get down deeper and down
Get down deeper and down
I have all the ways you see
To keep you guessing, stop your messing with me
You'll be back to find your way
Again again again again
Again-gain-gain-gain deeper and down
Get down
Get down deeper and down
Get down deeper and down
I have found you out you see
I know what you're doing, what you're doing to me
I'll keep on and say to you
Again again again again
Again-gain-gain-gain deeper and down
Get down
Edited by Mengo

Being chair is not a promotion. It is a prestigious role only remunerated by expenses and token shares.Nobody from inside could bring the detachment needed for the role.

• Like 2

The CEO model didn't work because there was a tension between football matters and fan engagement. Via the expensive Moxey mistake, Ed Balls got there. The DOF / COO idea seemed like the answer but Ed didn't stick around long enough to nurtur it. Not his style. Then this ridiculous experiment. A safe pair of hands Chairman can't be that impossible as long as the majority owners could look beyond the ranks of their mates which they need to do in response to the Fan Led review.

Ed Balls was certainly a useful person to have on board and it was a shame he decided to leave and there is no point in having just anybody as chairman - perhaps Ed will come back in at some point.

The simple reason why there is no Chairman or CEO is that Delia runs the show. Would they like somebody to keep pointing out the clubs deficiencies? The Chairman and/or CEO would get fed up of not having any input or influence. 

Is this a healthy way to run a Football Club? No. But the club on a day to day basis is not well run, despite the myth to the contrary. 

It begs the question, is Norwich City a Football Club or a Social Club for its owners? 

16 minutes ago, komakino said:

The simple reason why there is no Chairman or CEO is that Delia runs the show. Would they like somebody to keep pointing out the clubs deficiencies? The Chairman and/or CEO would get fed up of not having any input or influence. 

Is this a healthy way to run a Football Club? No. But the club on a day to day basis is not well run, despite the myth to the contrary. 

It begs the question, is Norwich City a Football Club or a Social Club for its owners? 

Very true, it's "their toy and no one else is allowed to play with it", yet they still seem to be above any critism with some of the Local Media, Journos and Commentators of the club on Twitter.

It sounds somewhat like the early Acts of Shakespeare's Julius Caeser. 😂

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Maybe Tom could be the next Chairman? 

I haven't decided that yet. The thing is he is showing disturbing signs of having a bit of a mind of his own, and that obviously needs to be stamped on.

• Haha 2

Get Bowkett back and give him authority over those that should have authority over them....We need a rod of iron to grab the hopeless hierarchy by their opulent untouchable necks before we spiral uncontrollably and thus join the discarded shopping trolleys, traffic cones and rusty bicycle frames in the River Wensum....

(There's probably lots o' other stuff thrown in the Wensum, like beer glasses, bottles and knives etc....but where do you stop?)....

On 15/05/2022 at 18:29, A Load of Squit said:

What a banner that would be. 😀

Not at 50p a letter. Prudence with ambition, young man!

Remember when the Turners came on board and left pretty sharpish afterwards. They carried out a rank and file review of the internal mechanisms at Carrow road and what they reported did not sit comfortably with the majority shareholders.