chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Wolves (PL/A) *****

With one game to go for most teams, Pukki is joint 13th in the scoring table. As the team he plays for is one of two stranded at the bottom of the league, I think this proves him good enough at this level.

28 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

With one game to go for most teams, Pukki is joint 13th in the scoring table. As the team he plays for is one of two stranded at the bottom of the league, I think this proves him good enough at this level.

Retaining Pukki is the most important requirement for next season, imo. Should we succeed again, though, I would doubt his continued goal-scoring effectiveness on the Premier League stage. Even now, he is  probably not quite as "sharp" as he was last time around, with slightly less pace and slightly more hesitation. 

It may not be inconceivable that he could, perhaps, drop back into the role of being more a midfield general where his work rate, brain and general awareness become as valuable as his goal-getting, if they are not already. A slight shift in the balance of his role, with the goal scoring burden on the shoulders of others. 

Either way, I would  have hopes of him being a vital element of the team for  another couple of seasons at least.

Worth every penny.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Pukki could and undoubtedly should have had a lot more goals this season tbh. Yesterday was a prime example in that the goal he scored should have been his hat trick! 

I think his failure to actually score more is why other EPL clubs won’t take a chance on signing him, which unless an offer from abroad comes in, is good news for us next season!

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

For clarification, is that table a "cost effectiveness" one @horsefly?

I think it's just based on goals scored (and assists) as a proportion of the teams overall figure. It's from Transfermarkt. What one concludes from such stats is another question of course.

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think it's just based on goals scored (and assists) as a proportion of the teams overall figure. It's from Transfermarkt. What one concludes from such stats is another question of course.

Thanks - so its overall attacking effectiveness - number 1 hey?  Well done Teemu ..... not finished yet.

I don't think anyone is questioning Pukki. His contribution over the last four seasons has been incredible and he is clearly one of our all time great players. He is POTS by a country mile and it is critical he stays for another tilt at the Champs. But it's still OK to possibly, perhaps suggest that although 11 goals out of 23 is pretty damn impressive, he really should have scored more yesterday and had even more impressive stats.

As for that midfield that never creates anything, well they did yesterday. Or are we ignoring that because it doesn't fit the current argument?

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Yeah its not a positive stat really…shows the teams dependence on individual players. Stop Pukki, stop Norwich. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Yeah its not a positive stat really…shows the teams dependence on individual players. Stop Pukki, stop Norwich. 

Indeed! I intentionally made no comment on how one should interpret the stat.

46 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think anyone is questioning Pukki. His contribution over the last four seasons has been incredible and he is clearly one of our all time great players. He is POTS by a country mile and it is critical he stays for another tilt at the Champs. But it's still OK to possibly, perhaps suggest that although 11 goals out of 23 is pretty damn impressive, he really should have scored more yesterday and had even more impressive stats.

As for that midfield that never creates anything, well they did yesterday. Or are we ignoring that because it doesn't fit the current argument?

Precisely - that is all I was saying yesterday, but it seems Pukki is beyond any reproach despite, as I’m sure he would agree, missing several good chances this season.  Of course we are all glad he’s ours, but his form has not been  as good as it was last PL season, up to his injury.

And as for someone scoring a large proportion of a team’s goals there’s two things to mention: one that a lone striker would expect to score a high proportion and two that it’s somewhat easier to score a high proportion of a low figure. As someone who deals with figures for a living it is a pretty iffy metric on its own.

Edited by Branston Pickle