chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Wolves (PL/A) *****

Usual comments from some 'supporters'.

If we lose Norwich are terrible.

If we win or draw the opposition were terrible.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Happy to oblige Billy boy, one dull display, which was criticised by Birtles virtually all match won't sway my opinion that these players are not good enough and won't be next season. 

Big changes needed still. 

Won't go that far about next season but if someone had said that was two Championship clubs playing, I wouldn't have been shocked.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Happy to oblige Billy boy, one dull display, which was criticised by Birtles virtually all match won't sway my opinion that these players are not good enough and won't be next season. 

Big changes needed still. 

Oh dear! same old tosh.

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

Usual comments from some 'supporters'.

If we lose Norwich are terrible.

If we win or draw the opposition were terrible.

So that is five times the opposition were terrible this season.

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

So predictions? Based on this line up, 6-0 to Wolves, they go 1 up within 5 minutes we utterly capitulate

Well done mystic smeg!

Don’t understand some of these comments.

Other than the comical defending fir the goal that was easily one of our best away performances against a very good side.

If we’d had a few more of these maybe the Spurs game would matter.

Pleased those lads finally showed some grit and determination. Nice to see tactical fouls and tackles flying in, just all a bit late.

• Like 4

I'm no fan of Smith at all, but the 5-3-2 worked today and we could have been out of sight by half-time. Not sure how much of that was an under-par Wolves. For some reason they seem to be a team we can play against: three games this season and no defeats. It's the ones with bruising midfielders we can't cope with. Wolves try to pass the ball in an open game, and I think that suits us.

Still no fan of Smith, though, and since this result and performance make it even more likely we keep him next season, my feelings are mixed if I'm honest. And those of you who are pro-Smith, you can't give him credit for this without also giving him the blame for other unexpected teamsheets that resulted in woeful performances. It works both ways.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Don’t understand some of these comments.

Other than the comical defending fir the goal that was easily one of our best away performances against a very good side.

If we’d had a few more of these maybe the Spurs game would matter.

Pleased those lads finally showed some grit and determination. Nice to see tactical fouls and tackles flying in, just all a bit late.

Its balls and auntie time

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Love a Smeg, cool retro look. 👍FAB50RCRB.thumb.jpg.fd0ff074fa4edec137ee09ee449b507b.jpg

Perhaps you should join Boris Johnson inside there, he likes to hide from his failures too.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh, so the manager doesn't get it right unless we win? What a bizarre understanding of football.

A point at Wolves is excellent, credit to Smith for not listening to the noise

Just now, horsefly said:

Perhaps you should join Boris Johnson inside there, he likes to hide from his failures too.

I'll be busy joining Keir on his next curry and beer night 

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fair play to us for not bottling it in the end, but really did show what changing things up can do. Was a bit of a lucky goal from Wolves and any other day Pukki would have had a hatrick but hey we didnt lose!  

See, here’s the thing - love Pukki as I do, he has missed a number of excellent chances this season - for example two last week and two this week.  He’ll be great in the Champs but it doesn’t help in the PL when you have a leaky defence if your main guy needs five excellent chances to score once.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh, so the manager doesn't get it right unless we win? What a bizarre understanding of football.

Well well. Mr Hate.

Haven't followed the today's game at all. Unless we had to win we would have accepted a point all day long. Not losing away to the team laying in 8th stops the rot and is something to build on.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

See, here’s the thing - love Pukki as I do, he has missed a number of excellent chances this season - for example two last week and two this week.  He’ll be great in the Champs but it doesn’t help in the PL when you have a leaky defence if your main guy needs five excellent chances to score once.

All strikers - even the very best - miss chances.

He's scored more than 50% of our goals this season (if you discount OG).

He's not ballooning it over from five yards out. He's failing to take clear-cut opportunities which still need to be perfectly executed.

Pukki is the least of our worries. We need to sort out the other ten first. 

24 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its balls and auntie time

Always nice when the family pops over on a Sunday evening! 

Enjoy KG! 😉

19 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

All strikers - even the very best - miss chances.

He's scored more than 50% of our goals this season (if you discount OG).

He's not ballooning it over from five yards out. He's failing to take clear-cut opportunities which still need to be perfectly executed.

Pukki is the least of our worries. We need to sort out the other ten first. 

I certainly don’t disagree about other roles - our defence has been too leaky for many a year, and perhaps DF’s biggest flaw - but when you’re creating relatively few chances you need a better than 20% conversion rate, surely?  

I have some sympathy with Pukki because he has little or no quality alongside him, and he generally creates all his own chances with his movement but Branston is right - good strikers at this level convert more chances. It's not like the ones he misses are even half chances. Vardy, for instance, would have scored 4 today. We should have won comfortably.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I certainly don’t disagree about defence - it has been too leaky for many a year, and perhaps DF’s biggest flaw - but when you’re creating relatively few chances you need a better than 20% conversion rate, surely?  

First, it's difficult to come up with a figure for conversion rate without some kind of complex formula. Not all chances are equal. Sargent's against Brighton was something like 99%; Pukki's chance that hit the inside of the post last week was probably less than 50%, given that there was a defender close so it would have hit the defender or gone wide if anything except a perfect contact with the ball was made.

Second, where have you got your 20% conversion rate from? Did you just decide it from watching the games? If so, other people might decide on a different figure arrived at intuitively.

41 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well well. Mr Hate.

No hate. Just confusion.

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Second, where have you got your 20% conversion rate from? Did you just decide it from watching the games? If so, other people might decide on a different figure arrived at intuitively.

He had two fantastic opportunities missed today, two last week, scored one = 20% over the last two games.

Whatever, it’s splitting hairs - you simply can’t miss great chances regularly at this level.  But clearly our issues are more in m/f and defence.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I have some sympathy with Pukki because he has little or no quality alongside him, and he generally creates all his own chances with his movement but Branston is right - good strikers at this level convert more chances. It's not like the ones he misses are even half chances. Vardy, for instance, would have scored 4 today. We should have won comfortably.

Why are people focusing on Pukki tonight? Yes, he missed a couple of chances, neither of which were remotely 'sitters'.

We have a sh*t midfield which neither protects the defence nor creates/scores chances, a shaky defence which always has a howler in it, limited wing players whose all-round game is poor, and yet people are attacking perhaps the only player we have who is 'Premier League class', even if it is only lower PL.

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Why are people focusing on Pukki tonight? Yes, he missed a couple of chances, neither of which were remotely 'sitters'.

We have a sh*t midfield which neither protects the defence nor creates/scores chances, a shaky defence which always has a howler in it, limited wing players whose all-round game is poor, and yet people are attacking perhaps the only player we have who is 'Premier League class', even if it is only lower PL.

Don’t think they are - I merely replied to one of Cambs millions of comments suggesting that Pukki ought to have had a hat trick today. 
He’s been great for us, just that imo needs a better chance:goals ratio in the PL.

52 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Sadly you need to work for 10 hours beforehand and a couple after so probably rules you out🙄

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I certainly don’t disagree about other roles - our defence has been too leaky for many a year, and perhaps DF’s biggest flaw - but when you’re creating relatively few chances you need a better than 20% conversion rate, surely?  

20% isn't actually bad by most standards.

Pukki this season has an xg of 11.33 and has scored 11 goals suggesting he's basically performing where he should be with regards to finishing. 

58 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You’ll be out of luck then since he only had one. Unlike the seemingly endless stream of parties, birthday cake ambushes and suitcases full of wine at Downing Street.