Bradwell canary

Why has no Championship club hired Farke?

It has amazed me that no Championship Club has come after Farke. Given his fantastic record of two promotions on a shoestring budget.

After the Russian situation, I not sure where he is now, guess someone will know.

For sure Lambert and Farke teams have given us some fantastic memories.

• Like 1

Farke will only choose a club that gives him the right vibes. Not many will be able to match what Norwich offered him in that sense.  He's not motivated just  by money or he would never have come to us in the first place, so he could go anywhere - even to a League 1 club if it looks like a good project...but I'd expect him to find a very good club, which after his Russian escapade, could be anywhere.  

I think we might see it, but his two disastrous PL campaigns will definitely have damaged his reputation. Also remember his first season was fairly lacklustre to say the least so he does not have any history of making an instant impact.

The 2 things going against Farke are he took a very long time to get his brand to work and I couldn’t see any club giving him that and secondly, he was awful in the EPL.

If you have him time AND money, then that’s a different story. In retrospect, he should have been a bit selfish, by putting himself about a bit at the end last season after wining the Championship, rather than staying at Norwich - which arguably ruined his career. 

This makes a wider point of any manager that gets Norwich promoted may be better off leaving, as they know the will and the money will not be there and have a lot to lose and very little to gain by sticking around. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, komakino said:

The 2 things going against Farke are he took a very long time to get his brand to work and I couldn’t see any club giving him that and secondly, he was awful in the EPL.

If you have him time AND money, then that’s a different story. In retrospect, he should have been a bit selfish, by putting himself about a bit at the end last season after wining the Championship, rather than staying at Norwich - which arguably ruined his career. 

This makes a wider point of any manager that gets Norwich promoted may be better off leaving, as they know the will and the money will not be there and have a lot to lose and very little to gain by sticking around. 

I would disagree with it takes a long time I am sure if you offered any championship club you will have one sterile season then next season you would win the championship I think the majority would take that.

I think Farke suffers from a lack of ego and profile outside of the club and lacks  media cheerleaders. 

Perhaps, just perhaps, after 4 l+ years away from his family and with what has been happening in the world, he just fancies spending a bit of time at home. It's not as though he will be short of a few Bob anytime soon with what we (and no doubt the Russians) were paying him...

Bundesliga finished yesterday, there's always some coaching positions change at this time of the year, Monchengladbach parted with their coach by mutual consent & they've got a relatively new SD. I wouldn't be surprised if his next job is in Germany.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farke will only choose a club that gives him the right vibes. Not many will be able to match what Norwich offered him in that sense.  He's not motivated just  by money or he would never have come to us in the first place, so he could go anywhere - even to a League 1 club if it looks like a good project...but I'd expect him to find a very good club, which after his Russian escapade, could be anywhere.  

He'll go to whatever club pays him the right money just like any other manager. I mean he went to Russia FFS 

• Like 2

I imagine if you're hiring Farke you need to be working to a similar model to ours too. His strengths are in tactics and coaching but not transfers etc.

Most of the Russian people.

The club Farke took in Russia were a far better 'project' than a majority of clubs in the Championship. Upwardly mobile and a chance to get his name out in European competions.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I imagine if you're hiring Farke you need to be working to a similar model to ours too. His strengths are in tactics and coaching but not transfers etc.

Not sure we know how good Farke is when it comes to transfers as it's safe to assume that Farke has rarely gotten his wish with players brought in here.

• Like 1

His complete failure in the premier league will have made some people wonder how good he really is. The 2nd promotion wouldn't have earmarked him out either, we had a squad far too good for that level last season.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I would have Farke in now and Webber out in a heartbeat. 

• Like 4

I think the main thing is that his style of football just doesn’t work well in the pL and that’s a big problem.

What we’ve done is embedded his philosophy and then see it simply not work or need changed once we went up. This isn’t any use because players are in used to playing that style and are bought for that purpose. 

You need someone who can be pragmatic and win the Championship playing football that has some chance of working in the PL, not necessarily brilliant but effective enough that you can keep the continuity between Championship football and Premier League.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not everything about Russia is bad. 

Really? Such as?

What @KeiranShikari said - plenty of Russians live in the real world nowadays. The more Putin clamps down on them, the more tension that will build up as enlightened Russians find themselves squeezed - and that means it will end badly for Putin, sooner or later.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think the main thing is that his style of football just doesn’t work well in the pL and that’s a big problem.

What we’ve done is embedded his philosophy and then see it simply not work or need changed once we went up. This isn’t any use because players are in used to playing that style and are bought for that purpose. 

You need someone who can be pragmatic and win the Championship playing football that has some chance of working in the PL, not necessarily brilliant but effective enough that you can keep the continuity between Championship football and Premier League.

I think the style of football is true, but it covers for the fact he simply can't coach a defence very well. In the championship that's fine but in the prem you get found out. A good coach should be able to adapt and do both sides of the game well. Brentford have been successful going from a possession heavy team in the championship to a more counter attacking side this season, it's certainly possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not sure we know how good Farke is when it comes to transfers as it's safe to assume that Farke has rarely gotten his wish with players brought in here.

That's a fair point, but where do you proportion the blame? 

His stock was high (ish) at the end of last season and could have said along the lines of 'If you don't get enough of the players I want, then I'm off'. Any coach being saddled with Webber's magic beans would find the job very unattractive. 

In a way, Farke was a stooge. He kept quiet, when increasingly he should have spoken out. He had the fans on his side, but never used that against the club, whether that meant Webber, The Board etc. Maybe some clubs saw that as a sign of weakness?

1 minute ago, komakino said:

That's a fair point, but where do you proportion the blame? 

His stock was high (ish) at the end of last season and could have said along the lines of 'If you don't get enough of the players I want, then I'm off'. Any coach being saddled with Webber's magic beans would find the job very unattractive. 

In a way, Farke was a stooge. He kept quiet, when increasingly he should have spoken out. He had the fans on his side, but never used that against the club, whether that meant Webber, The Board etc. Maybe some clubs saw that as a sign of weakness?

He supposedly wanted both Rashica and Normann, and there were a few others but I can't remember off the top of my head. He had a reasonable influence on transfers while he was here, but in general its better to leave the coach to do just that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sgncfc said:

He's hanging on to be Webber's replacement.

AE3 e

11 minutes ago, repman said:

He supposedly wanted both Rashica and Normann, and there were a few others but I can't remember off the top of my head. He had a reasonable influence on transfers while he was here, but in general its better to leave the coach to do just that. 

From hearing him speak after last season he wanted 2 or 3 high quality signings to replace the 2 that left. I highly doubt Normann and Rashica were anywhere near top of his list.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

From hearing him speak after last season he wanted 2 or 3 high quality signings to replace the 2 that left. I highly doubt Normann and Rashica were anywhere near top of his list.

2 or 3 additions only would've been ludicrous also, we needed more players across the squad.

10 minutes ago, repman said:

2 or 3 additions only would've been ludicrous also, we needed more players across the squad.

To be honest our Championship team from last season probably picks up more points than the squad we ended up with. Farke wanted real replacements for Skipp and Bunedia (and presumably a new striker) and got smaller upgrades throughtout the squad. I think we gambled on replacing Buendia's creativity with 2 of the youngest signings in Gilmour and Tzolis.

The fact that the squad players were upgraded somewhat at least puts us in a good place for next season. Still need the same 2 or 3 player archetypes most though.

5 hours ago, komakino said:

This is a sad post, but probably true. Perhaps Aarons would have been better to leave after the second Championship victory, too.

• Like 1