Sign in to follow this  
Big Jim

The "silent majority", some case studies...

1) My mate. Grew up in a non-football family so only caught the bug after he left school and got his own money 15 years ago. Since then season ticket every year and NEVER misses an away game. Still going on the away trips but is no longer actually going to the matches and has given his season ticket away until Worthington goes despite the fact that he has a 3 year one!

2) My uncle. Been going home & away since the early 70''s. You know, those days when we took 50 fans to most games? He was always one of them, despite living hundreds of miles from his home city for a large portion of that time. Was still going to the majority of away fixtures up until xmas. No longer going away, not renewed his (nor his family''s) season ticket and wasn''t at the game yesterday. The bloke invented the word passion in relation to NCFC, yet he can''t bring himself to support Worthington''s team.

3) Me, myself & i. Been going to Carra Rud for a quarter of a century. With the exception of the Chase Out season have owned a season ticket every year (ie, in the days when NCFC sold hundreds rather than thousands of ''em). Organised a bus to away games throughout the 90''s, still go when work, money & kids allow. Gave the Brighton match a miss and didn''t feel one pang of guilt (this coming from someone who would go to the most meaningless away trips just so he didn''t cripple himself with guilt whilst listening to it on the radio!). Against both Derby & Stoke i haven''t even bothered getting to my feet when we scored (unheard of, i''m a pain for the snakepit stewards normally!), i am that bored and apathetic about Worthington''s side . Really don''t care whether we win or lose at the moment and the fact i feel like that about MY club should make Worthington ashamed. I don''t like or want to feel this way however his signings, tactics, style of play and abuse of our young players have slowly, surely, sadly turned me this way.

However, none of us went to the meeting on Thursday, none of us protested before the match yesterday & none of us protested afterwards either. Examples of the real "silent majority"? The club should be very worried, it''s the longest serving fans they''re alienating NOT the johnny come latelys as some have suggested.  

24,000 at the game.

400 protesters

3 people who have chosen not to go to games.

I still make the silent majority around 23,600.

If more people didn''t turn up the board might take some notice, but clearly at the present most people love following THEIR team.

1. mate has not renewed his ticket - will not do so until worthy goes even if it costs him extra. cannot watch boring, dirct dross football any longer.2. talking to chap in chip shot last night, was using his sons city stand season ticket - hasn''t been for a while, cannot stand watching the game.  he said he only goes becuase its free and wouldn''t pay given the choice.

[quote user="Foggo_on_the wing"]

24,000 at the game.

400 protesters

3 people who have chosen not to go to games.

I still make the silent majority around 23,600.

If more people didn''t turn up the board might take some notice, but clearly at the present most people love following THEIR team.

[/quote]

And out the 23600.........

Subtract the away fans and then:

Subtract the fans present simply because they''d already paid for the seat last year.

To hear this argument that because theres 20,000+ at every home match the majority are happy is nonsense, a statistical phallacy. The fact is that 20,000 people paid for yesterdays ticket last year! Of course they''re going to go, who wouldn''t? It''s the disproportionately high number of season tickets released by the club responsible for the high attendance levels, certainly not the onfield performance and I suspect if there weren''t 1500 on the waiting list people would think twice about renewing for next year.

12 mates, all season ticket holders, all renewed!

6 work collegues, all season ticket holders, all renewed!

3 family members, all season ticket holders, all renewed!

3 ex family members, all season ticket holders, all renewed!

myself, season ticket holder, of course i renewed!

The reason, we''re proper loyal supporters who will support the team, no matter who''s in charge, no matter how crap the team is playing, no matter what decisions the board make, all because we love watching and supporting the greatest team in the land. You protesters should be ashamed of yourselves, you make me sick.

[quote user="FatboySlimfast"]

The reason, we''re proper loyal supporters who will support the team, no matter who''s in charge, no matter how crap the team is playing, no matter what decisions the board make, all because we love watching and supporting the greatest team in the land. You protesters should be ashamed of yourselves, you make me sick.

[/quote]

I am a loyal supported and i have renewed my season ticket (i did put a letter to Neil Doncaster along with th erenewal).   I am not however happy with a manager whom is unsackable it would appear from the boards comments no matter how good results and performanmces are.  Unfortunatly we will not be as great as we ought to be whilst this NEGATIVE, RIGHT WINGER HATING, TACTICALLY INEPT, ZERO MOTIVATION SKILLS, DEFENSIVE, YOUTH HATING man in charge.

Worthy is no better a manager than Gary Megson and is NO MESSIAH!!  he will also NEVER manage in the premiership again.

People I work with & know have all renewed their season tickets, and although clearly disappointed with this season could all be put in the category as described above - ie will go along to the games to support their team, whatever decisions are made and whoever is in charge, and wherever we might be in the league. Yes we are forever yellow and green.

Supporting a team is not going to be watching them win/be top of the league/challenging for the play offs etc all of the time. Protests

Sometimes I wonder how we dealt with this sort of thing before the internet/email messages/mobile text messages flying around all the time. Protest if you like, Its good to exchange views but lets keep things in perspective please. 

I think a vast majority of the supporters fall into the above category as described.    

You''re right. It''s not about results. Just as well, as we''re well down on that score.

If the silent majority is happy with the dross that passes for football at Carrow Road at the moment, then I''m embarrassed to be a City supporter, as they clearly know chuff-all about the beautiful game. I should think that the Hall of Fame watched our ''performance'' yesterday and felt similarly embarrassed.  

Family of 4 - all ST''s renewed, and despite disappointment at the present standards, believe much of the problem is that our expectations as a Club are probably too high at present. Agree that we would prefer to see a new man in Charge, and rest assured that will happen - it always does! Managers come and go, just as players do. In meantime we want to see the Team do as well as possible, and this internal bickering and nastiness is not helping at all. No way will the Board be bullied into making a decision.  I was proud to see the Hall of Fame players on the Pitch on Saturday, and wondered how they must feel. And I for one, will support whoever pulls on the Green and Yellow shirts, and am appalled at the bitter remarks that are aimed at some of the new players, just because Worthington has signed them. Perhaps we should not be surprised at their underperforming, in the circumstances.

I renewed pretty much the same week I got the form, everyone who sits around me says they have renewed, as have 3 more friends.  To me it is not a matter of whether people are happy with whatever is served up, most people support the side through thick and thin, will do so whoever is manager/chairman/captain/whatever, and want to go to watch football. 

I wouldn''t think there are too many who are happy with this season, but that is football.  The majority of sides who get relegated from the Prem have struggled the next season, and you do not have to look far down the road for one prime example - on top of the Binners you have recent examples of Wolves, Leicester, Derby, Sheff Wed, Man City, Saints, Leeds, Watford - some of which tumbled even further - and many more.

I was personally amazed at the number of season tickets we sold for this season - the most we''ve ever sold, and I''d have thought it inevitable that some people would not renew following a poorer than expected season; even so, it is surely pleasing to even the most ardent Worthy Outers that most of our supporters seem to be willing stick by the side even when things aren''t so good?  This sort of loyalty is certainly missing at most other sides.

Amazing that all of you claim that you support the Team wherever they go, whatever the ko time etc.

Yesterday was an embarrassment for the LACK of Support for the team apart from the community stand.

Perhaps herein lies the answer. The enthusiasm of children who go to enjoy the occasion, dream of being out their on the pitch and playing in a great atmosphere. What example are the ''seasoned'' supporters setting for the new breed of supporters. Whinging, complaining, proetesting, booing, sidesniping, backstabbing etc.

Even the ''Archant feel free to use this photo'' photo showed young supporters 4 or 5 deep at the front. This just falls into line with modern culture - fast solutions to any problem due to impatience. No thoughts for the consequences.

For example, what if this course of action causes favourite players to leave due to a less than favourable fansupport. It cant be nice playing in front of theatre-goers. The famed ''nice place to live'' would go down the pan as players wouldnt want to stay were they get barracked on the street either!

Managers wont want to come here due to militant supporters.

Investors wont want to invest (or may withdraw their considerable investment _ u know who) for the same reasons.

The long term consequences of any action must be thought through.

[/quote]

and you''ll all also be the first fans to whinge when we''re playing Tranmere... or when Southend and Colchester and Ipswich are all higher than us in the division next season....

i have had a season ticket every year since 1992... i love the club.... i dont love whats being done the club at the moment...

the last Right Winger to play for this club was Adrian Forbes! we got rid of him nearly 6 years ago! we have had so much dam quality in this side! and leadership too with Eddy, Malky and Iwan...

the Quality of Francis, Svensson, Helveg, AShton, all gone.. replaced by Jason Bleedin Jarrett and Peter Thorne! i will go week in and week out as the club already have my money.. id probably still renew every year.. because i care about seeing a good side, a side that passes the ball, that can play football, that has the right players in the right position...

I dont pay to see an Arrogant little S**t running up the touchline putting 2 fingers up at the fans after we score, who comes out with the same crap week after week for 5 years like a stuck Record!, who doesnt use Youth.. which our teams of yesteryear have been built on, who slags off our best performers, who sells our best players and replaces them with those of feeble ability and little quality, who doesnt address the weak areas of the team, who holds grudges, who doesnt like certain players because they are too old, who only wants players HE signed at the club.... (with the exception of 3.. soon to be 2)....

and u say we make u Sick mate????? well what does Worthy make us????!!!!

jas :)

Branston - i think you and most KFTers are missing the point about the demonstrations; its not so much about results and under achievement although these are important  It''s the dire rubbish that the team is seving up on the football pitch and the manner of the pitiful defeats - i was at QPR, Wolves and Palace say no more.

Worthington''s dire,dull and unimaginative football is driving this football club into the ground.

WELL FLASH JACK, A VERY GOOD POST!   We have 4 season tickets and have renewed. Football at the moment is poor but that happens even to the best of teams. We definately need some changes at the top and if things go on as they are that will happen at the end of the season. We keep talking about the rights of the fans to make their feelings known, and that is a given, but we seem to have forgotten the way the club is being run overall at the top. We have an excellent CEO, Delia and MWN who have done a brillient job over the last few years. If it wasnt for their efforts and good judgement over the past few years our expectations would not be rightly so high. I am prepared to go with their judgement for the rest of the season and then see what happens. Worthy has a lot of faults which are regularly aired on here, but he also lead us to the Prem League.I think he has run out of ideas, but will give him till the end of the season. 

You protesters should be ashamed of yourselves, you make me sick.

[/quote]

People like you make me sick. Trying to make those people feel guilty

for having a differing opinion and outlook to you.

Why do you people on this board insist on having this stupid "I''m a

better supporter than you" argument all the time? It doesn''t happen on

any other boards to this extend. We''re all bloody supports whether we

protest or not. Whether we want Worthy in or out! We all have differing

outlooks and ambitions and expectations. Does that make people better

supporters? No it doesn''t. The people protesting have the right to do

it, if its done in the right atitude without threats and intimidation.

Likewise those who want him in are entitled to sing Worthys name and

back him to the hilt. Never in my time supporting City have I seen fans

at each others throat like I have this season. Let people do what they

want. We''re all paying customers. We all support our team in our own

individual ways. Not meaning to pick on you specifically but you and

many others need to grow up. Question peoples opnionions

yes,butquestioning their support. Surely your just trying to have a

cheap dig. I know 5 year olds who act with more maturity!

Pointless post in my view - I have renewed despiute my dissatisfaction;  opinion is polarised with supporters of both options plentiful but neither sure which has the majority. 

Both camps have the same level of dedication and loyalty to the club and the thick headed minority on both sides who chose to accuse others of  disloyalty demonstrate a lack of understanding of the real issues and a small minded approach that does their own arguments no credit at all.

[/quote]

My mate who is a used car salesman says can you send your mates round to his place cos he''s always looking for gullible punters

[quote user="sussexcanary"]

Branston - i think you and most KFTers are missing the point about the demonstrations; its not so much about results and under achievement although these are important  It''s the dire rubbish that the team is seving up on the football pitch and the manner of the pitiful defeats - i was at QPR, Wolves and Palace say no more.

Worthington''s dire,dull and unimaginative football is driving this football club into the ground.

[/quote]

Sorry, but I''m missing no point, my post was largley referring to the loyalty of Norwich supporters, which I find refreshingly good - it seems that when it comes to the crunch even many of those who are opposed to Worthy are still renewing; their ''truck'' is with him rather than the club.  It would be very easy for people to turn their backs (as they do in droves at other clubs, plenty of examples about) when things aren''t going so well, but our supporters are better than that.

Onto your point, I too have been to the majority of games this season including QPR but not Palace (thank god) and I fully understand the issues that are upsetting people - some of the football served up has been poor, to say the least, and there must be reasons for it.  For me, the meeting at St Andrew''s Hall seemed a reasonable approach to the situation. 

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

You''re right. It''s not about results. Just as well, as we''re well down on that score.

If the silent majority is happy with the dross that passes for football at Carrow Road at the moment, then I''m embarrassed to be a City supporter, as they clearly know chuff-all about the beautiful game. I should think that the Hall of Fame watched our ''performance'' yesterday and felt similarly embarrassed.  

[/quote]Fair point. Would just like to add a fair question.If we were playing good football but still loosing what would your opinion be then?I am just asking because Crewe seem to do that, they pass the ball around well for spells but don''t posses the game winning players that will get you wins week in week out.Last season we were applauded by pundits and opposition managers alike for playing good football and trying to win games in an honest fashion. We still, though very narrowly, got relegated.I hate to say it but the results MUST be one of the main reasons that people want Worthington out. Loosing by big margins to Luton, QPR and Derby away are just not acceptable. There are other points such as the treatment of youngsters that are probably a much more valid question but you can''t help but feel that most of these protesters are result based.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Pointless post in my view - I have renewed despiute my dissatisfaction;  opinion is polarised with supporters of both options plentiful but neither sure which has the majority. 

Both camps have the same level of dedication and loyalty to the club and the thick headed minority on both sides who chose to accuse others of  disloyalty demonstrate a lack of understanding of the real issues and a small minded approach that does their own arguments no credit at all.

[/quote] If that was aimed at my initial post then, if i may be so bold, what a pointless reply. Nothing there with any relevance to my original comments. The point of my post was to point out that, contrary to what some KTF''s seem to think, it''s not just those protesting at St Andrews Hall or on Carrow Road who want rid of Worthington. An argument you''d surely agree with, so maybe not so pointless?

As for all the "my 6 mates have renewed" etc posts, when did i say i hadn''t? As it happens the form went in on Friday, after having been sat, all filled in, on my mantlepiece for several weeks whilst i tried to persuade myself not to renew. Never been too good at winning arguments with myself! A letter accompanied the renewal, explaining that the main reason i''d decided to make it 23 out of 24 years as a season ticket holder was because, inspite of the drival we''ve been treated to between 3pm & 4.50pm for the past two seasons, i still enjoy the pre & post match ''socialising''. Sad that it has come to that, but it''s a fact. No deeply floored manager will ever stop me having a laugh and a drink & going to the footy with my mates, and as it happens nor will any of our equally floored ''fellow'' supporters.