Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Stuart Webber - Stay or Go?

Webber Stay or Go? (Poll)  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Should Stuart Webber remain at the club this Summer?

• Stay
    • Go

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We will always have one of the weakest 3 squads, on paper, in this league. 

The same was true when we finished 11th under Hughton and 12th under Lambert.

I'm sorry but it definitely should be a sackable offense in this context.

Besides, I haven't "got my way" because, as I said (but you chose to ignore) it was Webber Out that I was shouting long before Farke was sacked. In fact, I didn't get much support at all when people were calling for Farke's head and I said that it should be Webber first for the chop. 

Besides, you are still stuck in this weird paradox aren't you, of supporting Webber but blaming your fellow fans for the Farke dismissal. Odd position to take, considering Webber himself has stated the point at which he realised that Farke had to go, before approaching the board for their approval to sack him, and then being the person to actually sack him... in an away dressing room.

I would completely agree that the way Farke was sacked by Webber was a disgrace, most people would. Just a bit odd that you are blaming the fans for Farke being sacked and the manner of his dismissal. For me, to let the man who got us promoted to be sacked in such an undignified way only adds to the many reasons that I'm looking forward to seeing the back of Webber! 

I recall this, and I believe my response at the time was that sacking Webber wouldn't have changed results on the pitch as that's not his department, but that if it was results on the pitch that needed to change quickly then the only real option was to sack Farke and hope that the next head coach could transform the team.

I supported it on that basis because Farke seemed lost, he was struggling to get anything out of this squad. He had a good reputation of bounce back from games lost etc (bar the last ten games of the premier league season) but largely the side tended to fall flat like a sack of spuds after conceding and he was failing to galvanise them as he had done so many times before.

If you are looking at Webber, now would be as good a time as any if it is going to happen. Whether or not popular or unpopular opinion dictates. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

It’s not the figure that matters it was the general tone that he’s only here because he’s been begged to stay and he’s not fully motivated in his role here more focused on his outside activities. And as you say nothing wrong in that, but when it starts to impact on the job you’re doing then it’s not great.

Didn’t need to say it what he did.

Football is a different animal and having worked offshore for 13 years I have the view that if you’re not focused in your work then complacency comes in.

Yeah, yeah yeah!    Heard that already. 

20 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yeah, yeah yeah!    Heard that already. 

Well good for you! 😂

He said that the previous regime ****** up the wall the proceeds of promotion. It seems to me that the proceeds of promotion were subsequently defecated down the pan. It's no wonder that those in the know in the PL are asking "who is this guy?"

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We will always have one of the weakest 3 squads, on paper, in this league. 

The same was true when we finished 11th under Hughton and 12th under Lambert.

I'm sorry but it definitely should be a sackable offense in this context.

Besides, I haven't "got my way" because, as I said (but you chose to ignore) it was Webber Out that I was shouting long before Farke was sacked. In fact, I didn't get much support at all when people were calling for Farke's head and I said that it should be Webber first for the chop. 

Besides, you are still stuck in this weird paradox aren't you, of supporting Webber but blaming your fellow fans for the Farke dismissal. Odd position to take, considering Webber himself has stated the point at which he realised that Farke had to go, before approaching the board for their approval to sack him, and then being the person to actually sack him... in an away dressing room.

I would completely agree that the way Farke was sacked by Webber was a disgrace, most people would. Just a bit odd that you are blaming the fans for Farke being sacked and the manner of his dismissal. For me, to let the man who got us promoted to be sacked in such an undignified way only adds to the many reasons that I'm looking forward to seeing the back of Webber! 

I'm not supporting him as such, I'm just recognising that the reality of the player recruitment process is collegiate and we lost key people at a bad moment in the process, added to the fact that all of the people we recruit will bea bit of a punt anyway.

The fact is that the club is generally run well, so accept there'll be mistakes and let people learn from them instead of getting in new faces to make the same mistakes all over again.

• Like 1

he will walk soon !!

Arrogant people do not like it when their actions or work are being questioned 

he said in his own works he wanted to leave a number of times now and that was when things were going well 

His signings have been terrible this season and he knows it 

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm not supporting him as such, I'm just recognising that the reality of the player recruitment process is collegiate and we lost key people at a bad moment in the process, added to the fact that all of the people we recruit will bea bit of a punt anyway.

The fact is that the club is generally run well, so accept there'll be mistakes and let people learn from them instead of getting in new faces to make the same mistakes all over again.

With team sports, I know others say it as well on here, but it isn't always as easy as just signing proven talent either.

Lukaku is a great example. Scored goals where-ever he had been before, multiple seasons in the premier league with reliably 15+ goals per season including for mid table teams when on loan earlier in his career. Scored in Serie A. And has struggled no end at Chelsea this season. Is he crap? No. So why has it not worked this season?

You also see the reverse, players who are poor, or appear to be for the vast majority of their career but they have one club and they suddenly become a different player. Holt and Pukki come to mind here.

There is a large portion of right place, right club, right team, right squad, right time to many signings. Sign too many different styles etc and you have to untangle all of that and get them playing on the same wavelength. I still feel that some of these players could well turn out to be good long term signings - however, that in itself is still a failure in terms of this season. We needed more impact now. 

• Like 1

Mr Webber has made several fundamental errors this season. But the biggest mistake is with his dealings with the Supporters. Norwich are embarked on a journey that is unique. It is attempting to be a successful soccer club but with a self funding model. This is an admirable ambition in a money drenched cynical industry. It is laudable and the simple attempt to be different should be encouraged and supported. It is a strange journey and for that journey to have a positive outcome it needs the assistance of everyone concerned with the enterprise. The back room staff, the playing staff and most of all the Supporters. Every one must be on board with the project for it to succeed. Mr Webber has alienated the Supporters by treating them with contempt. You do not blow kisses at passionate Supporters in order to inflame them even more. You do not say that you are not there to pander to the Supporters. Big mistake, HUGE; because you must be extremely naive or ignorant if you do not understand that a big part of your role is specifically to get the Supporters behind this project and to explain the direction you are taking the Club . You do not alienate the Supporters. Everyone must be onboard. I do not care a jot about WHAT Mr Webber does, but I do care WHY he does it. It appears that he is motivated not by the journey , he can only dedicate 90% of his capacity to the task and to get a real challenge for his massive talents he needs to take time out to go fell walking. It seems that Mr Webber does the job to benefit the long term good of Mr Webber, that is his “WHY”.  The Supporters give their time and hard earned for the good of the Club, simply to support it to become successful, to be entertained, nothing more.  He should jog on , with our thanks.  He has achieved all he is ever going to at this location.

19 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Mr Webber has made several fundamental errors this season. But the biggest mistake is with his dealings with the Supporters. Norwich are embarked on a journey that is unique. It is attempting to be a successful soccer club but with a self funding model. This is an admirable ambition in a money drenched cynical industry. It is laudable and the simple attempt to be different should be encouraged and supported. It is a strange journey and for that journey to have a positive outcome it needs the assistance of everyone concerned with the enterprise. The back room staff, the playing staff and most of all the Supporters. Every one must be on board with the project for it to succeed. Mr Webber has alienated the Supporters by treating them with contempt. You do not blow kisses at passionate Supporters in order to inflame them even more. You do not say that you are not there to pander to the Supporters. Big mistake, HUGE; because you must be extremely naive or ignorant if you do not understand that a big part of your role is specifically to get the Supporters behind this project and to explain the direction you are taking the Club . You do not alienate the Supporters. Everyone must be onboard. I do not care a jot about WHAT Mr Webber does, but I do care WHY he does it. It appears that he is motivated not by the journey , he can only dedicate 90% of his capacity to the task and to get a real challenge for his massive talents he needs to take time out to go fell walking. It seems that Mr Webber does the job to benefit the long term good of Mr Webber, that is his “WHY”.  The Supporters give their time and hard earned for the good of the Club, simply to support it to become successful, to be entertained, nothing more.  He should jog on , with our thanks.  He has achieved all he is ever going to at this location.

Which is exactly why I'm self employed, too many employers think they own you. They don't , but many people let them . On average they own about 1/3  of 5/7ths of a week ie 40 hours out of 168 ... less than 25% . So is Webbers 90% that unreasonable? What do you want? 100%...?. laughable.  Nearly everyone works for their own good... get real , its a football club, not a cult  ffs!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Which is exactly why I'm self employed, too many employers think they own you. They don't , but many people let them . On average they own about 1/3  of 5/7ths of a week ie 40 hours out of 168 ... less than 25% . So is Webbers 90% that unreasonable? What do you want? 100%...?. laughable.  Nearly everyone works for their own good... get real , its a football club, not a cult  ffs!

Which is why you get the disappointing, embarrassing season we have just had. A squad of self-employed players, playing for themselves, topped up with loan players. None invested in the Club or it’s future. No commitment. All driven by the example and attitude of the senior management, 90% will do. I want Webber to be a leader, leaders eat last.

45 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Which is why you get the disappointing, embarrassing season we have just had. A squad of self-employed players, playing for themselves, topped up with loan players. None invested in the Club or it’s future. No commitment. All driven by the example and attitude of the senior management, 90% will do. I want Webber to be a leader, leaders eat last.

But they're not self employed  are they? They are paid a salary.... a very good one  , so its complete tosh what you have written. They'd  be far more committed to succeed  if they were only paid if they win, or satisfactorily  complete the task in hand as self employed  people  are. 

Why some people cling to  this 90%   rubbish  as if they give 100% to their job and have no life outside of work is beyond rational comprehension.... they dont, no one does. 

Our relegation clauses are pretty good incentive to stay up. No one want their wages cut by 40%.  

Post mortems should wait until the body is actually dead, in the meantime I'd imagine the focus is on not letting the disastrous season cloud rational thinking while there are still games to be played. 

No one is happy with things at the moment but getting peed off with people for not being as upset as  others think they should be is futile.

The people that run an organisation sets the tone, the standards and the mood. I have no doubt Webber is hard working but saying he wants to leave and he gives 90% means that will give justification to others. Also, the job we really need him good at is player recruitment not project managing building construction. He has shown his limitations and we should be looking to make that change. After all, he has already stated he wants to go .. so I say give him his wish.

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The people that run an organisation sets the tone, the standards and the mood. I have no doubt Webber is hard working but saying he wants to leave and he gives 90% means that will give justification to others. Also, the job we really need him good at is player recruitment not project managing building construction. He has shown his limitations and we should be looking to make that change. After all, he has already stated he wants to go .. so I say give him his wish.

Well done for conveniently  ignoring the tosh about self employed players  you wrote earlier... how in earth can you expect to  be taken seriously when you write clap trap like  that?

I think that you are getting confused.. Easily done. Kenny or Ken. Two different posters. 

15 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Well done for conveniently  ignoring the tosh about self employed players  you wrote earlier... how in earth can you expect to  be taken seriously when you write clap trap like  that?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

I think that you are getting confused.. Easily done. Kenny or Ken. Two different posters. 

Apologies. My mistake. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 07:50, littleyellowbirdie said:

I remember some people were firmly of the opinion that sacking Daniel Farke was the answer not so long ago. Seems to me sacking  people involved in the running of the club is always the answer. Odd how it never seems to actually do the trick. It makes me wonder whether always calling to sack the latest scapegoat is a bit stupid. 

Certainly on here that was the case with some very vocal posters but there were plenty of us who were very clear that sacking Farke wasn't the answer - turns out that we were right. Webber was wrong and I rather suspect even those fans that were calling for Farke to go were naively expecting Webber to magically conjure up someone who would do a 'better' job than Fake and they were wrong about that as well.

Your scapegoat remark is also well wide of the mark - Farke was the scapegoat for Webber's mistakes in the summer, and then Webber compounded those mistakes with the bungled panic appointment of a very average coach, nice guy though he may be he was very clearly never going to be the answer for us.

This season has been an unmitigated diasaster for the club both in financial and footballing terms and the responisibility for that is 100% Webber's. As a club we have gone backwards a great deal more than simply getting relegated again, and Webber should take responsibility for that.

23 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

But they're not self employed  are they? They are paid a salary.... a very good one  , so its complete tosh what you have written. They'd  be far more committed to succeed  if they were only paid if they win, or satisfactorily  complete the task in hand as self employed  people  are. 

Why some people cling to  this 90%   rubbish  as if they give 100% to their job and have no life outside of work is beyond rational comprehension.... they dont, no one does. 

Our relegation clauses are pretty good incentive to stay up. No one want their wages cut by 40%.  

Post mortems should wait until the body is actually dead, in the meantime I'd imagine the focus is on not letting the disastrous season cloud rational thinking while there are still games to be played. 

No one is happy with things at the moment but getting peed off with people for not being as upset as  others think they should be is futile.

Everyone has a life outside of work, the argument that none of us give 100% of our life to work is a complete nonsense as that wasn’t what he was talking about.

Webber was clearly stating he was going to be giving 90% in his role. Funnily enough when anyone announces they aren’t 100% committed to something people affected tend to question it.

On 13/05/2022 at 13:56, Indy said:

It’s not the figure that matters it was the general tone that he’s only here because he’s been begged to stay and he’s not fully motivated in his role here more focused on his outside activities.

So you would rather he lied and said what?  Say that he was desperate to do this charity work and pleaded with the board to keep his job open for him?  Pretend he was forced into it?!  

I appreciate his honest, personally. If people can't deal with it upfront then more the fool them - we need more straight talkers.  At least whatever is said at the end of season there's more supporting evidence that he will be transparent with us.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

So you would rather he lied and said what?  Say that he was desperate to do this charity work and pleaded with the board to keep his job open for him?  Pretend he was forced into it?!  

I appreciate his honest, personally. If people can't deal with it upfront then more the fool them - we need more straight talkers.  At least whatever is said at the end of season there's more supporting evidence that he will be transparent with us.

I’d rather he didn’t say anything about that conversation at all, it wasn’t needed and made it sound bad that our owners are happy with a half arsed attitude and that he’s not really bothered to be here! It didn’t need to be aired! 

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Err no I didn't.

Webber set out a '4 year plan' and failed to make it work. I can't really see how it goes from here unless he has an absolutely unbelievable transfer window in the summer. I can't help but feel if we were still in this position with Farke and Webber as a team I'd be feeling a little more confidence of our chances next season, but right now it feels like we'll need a miracle to be competing near the top of the league. 

I can't shake the feeling that Webber bumped off Farke to buy himself some more time.

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’d rather he didn’t say anything about that conversation at all, it wasn’t needed and made it sound bad that our owners are happy with a half arsed attitude and that he’s not really bothered to be here! It didn’t need to be aired! 

Did you read the article, or just buy into such sensationalist reporting like the masses?:

image.png.887b7ba73b4826f00d90236017c2f7eb.png

Absolutely nowhere did he say that he's continuing at 90% effort

If you read the entire article it talks about his original contract that saw him up until June 2022 and him needing some personal time.

Read the damn thing and tell me he's half arsed and not bothered about the club:

https://archive.ph/DWXnE

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Did you read the article, or just buy into such sensationalist reporting like the masses?:

If you read the entire article it talks about his original contract that saw him up until June 2022 and him needing some personal time.

Read the damn thing and tell me he's half arsed and not bothered about the club:

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think you’re answering your own argument! If 90% of me isn’t enough! 

I don’t know why you’re getting so ansi with those of us who think it’s a stupid comment and definitely has inflamed things, his performance is dire this season, which makes comments like this utterly stupid. He should never have said it end off!

19 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t know why you’re getting so ansi with those of us who think it’s a stupid comment and definitely has inflamed things, his performance is dire this season

My point is to concentrate on his transfer policies in summer, not this stupid 90% comment, not how he reacted to people calling him an embarrassing ****.  Or else we're just taking the easy option to hit a man personally, rather than the issue at play to make us better.

Do we sit back and see if the long-term plan of these signings reap rewards or do we just break everything down using out of context headlines to batter him with? 

I can guarantee that if he goes, so does Delia & Michael.  We'll be left with nephew Tom and Neil Adams as temp.  It will be an absolute **** show. Zoe seems to have her head screwed on too, it's possible we'll lose a hell of a lot that's seen many happy years here.

So why I'm getting 'ansi' - I guess my ultimate reason is asking people to not support this direction in such a mindless fashion.

Yes there's been  too much focus on long-term improvements, but he's far from the evil that people are trying to paint, it's more that he's brought his own hype to succeed than any lack of effort.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Webber set out a '4 year plan' and failed to make it work.

It's not a binary 'success or failure' thing, though. A huge proportion (dare I say 90%!) of his time here has been successful. People talk about him as if his only job is recruitment, but the football side of the club taken as a whole has developed extremely well during his time here: we are way better off than when he arrived. 

That's not to say he should definitely stay, by the way - it might be that his time is up. But I'd say his time here so far has been a success - and a stalling of that success this season shouldn't obscure that.

24 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It's not a binary 'success or failure' thing, though. A huge proportion (dare I say 90%!) of his time here has been successful. People talk about him as if his only job is recruitment, but the football side of the club taken as a whole has developed extremely well during his time here: we are way better off than when he arrived. 

That's not to say he should definitely stay, by the way - it might be that his time is up. But I'd say his time here so far has been a success - and a stalling of that success this season shouldn't obscure that.

I'm not convinced we are. We're back in the championship again, with sellable assets, as we were when he arrived. 

Yes the training ground has been improved. But if we're being honest, isn't this one of the easiest goals to set and achieve? I really don't see that as massive legacy change, IMO. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I'm not convinced we are

Just replied to you on another thread. We'll see, I suppose. My instinct is that (a) the production line of younger players seems to be in good shape and that (b) the 'saleable assets' you mention are younger and therefore have more potential value. But perhaps I'm being over-optimistic. Would certainly be a crying shame if we were back to square one. It was/is such a laudable project and I would have loved it to have worked (which is perhaps why I'm reluctant to admit it's all over;))

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Just replied to you on another thread. We'll see, I suppose. My instinct is that (a) the production line of younger players seems to be in good shape and that (b) the 'saleable assets' you mention are younger and therefore have more potential value. But perhaps I'm being over-optimistic. Would certainly be a crying shame if we were back to square one. It was/is such a laudable project and I would have loved it to have worked (which is perhaps why I'm reluctant to admit it's all over;))

I loved the project. I loved Webbers vibe, even if a lot of what he said was hot air. He still said the right things and that's enough sometimes. Which makes his recent comments all the more concerning. He's clearly treating the fans with contempt and happy to let them know it. And that confidence in which he does so, is a result from the lack of governance or scrutiny he's subjected too. 

• Like 3