Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Stuart Webber - Stay or Go?

Webber Stay or Go? (Poll)  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Should Stuart Webber remain at the club this Summer?

• Stay
    • Go

1 hour ago, Mengo said:

πŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈπŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈ Norwich City football club is the priority always has been and always will be.

Just go please. We'll manage. Egos are easily replaced.

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on."Β 

Β 

Oh dear. Really?Β 

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

24 stays.... Wow didn't see that if I'm honest, 4 or 5 tops but each to their ownΒ 

You can make that 25.

He should have been sacked after the 2019-20 season - out of his depth !

Yes he was involved with developing Colney,Β  youth development & the new loans system but at the end of the day he's the Director of football and that's what he should be judged on - the performance of the team on the football pitch. For those 25 people who think he shouldn't be accountable for his job ??!! You think it's ok forΒ senior managers to fail miserably and blame other people ? So you think he's been made a scapegoat ??!! I haven't seen that - what I've seen is worm being as evasive as possible and placing the blame on others - Farke is the scapegoat -Β  Know the difference !

Don't talk to me about the lack of money - the likes of John Bond, Ken Brown, David Stringer & Mike Walker didn't have any money. It didn't stop them from beating the likes of Liverpool and Manure day in, day out. In 1974 Bond got 8 players from 4th Division Bournemouth and made usΒ competitive. Why didn't they struggle to stay in the top division ? And yes the gap between us and the big boys were just as big back then. For goodness sake Hughton beat Arsenal, Manure & Citeh in the same season - he didn't have the resources of this clown !Β 

The poorest performing manager in the premier league by a country mile ! If you thinkΒ Xisco MuΓ±oz got sacked for being in mid-table - this guy is hiding in the toilets ! I just want our club to return to it's former glory - we don't have money so we need a smart operator - I've mentioned a few - it can be done. Those former managers also operated with "tight" owners as well.

Pathetic - he was swimming in the glory on the back of Farke and now when things go wrong - he disassociates himself from him !.

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Obviously one springs to mind but we're all human. I recently went to Delia's Restaurant and she was sharing a table with Webber and wife. Sorry, but that just doesn't workΒ 

Webber & his wife remind me of people who befriend elderly people to take advantage of them.Β 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Danbury Yellow said:

He’s got to stay. Β In fairness, the club being top half of the championship is punching above its weight. Β You have to go down as far asΒ Shrewsbury to find a club with a similar sized net worth owner. Β So in my opinion, he’s doing an incredible job,Β if you consider the reality of the mental state of financials within the top flight, we need more cash. Simple, but not simple!Β 

You Webber's wife or mother ?

18 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

People are increasingly considering this to be worth a punt.

I remember some people were firmly of the opinion that sacking Daniel Farke was the answer not so long ago. Seems to me sackingΒ  people involved in the running of the club is always the answer. Odd how it never seems to actually do the trick. It makes me wonder whether always calling to sack the latest scapegoat is a bit stupid.Β 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

He should have been sacked after the 2019-20 season - out of his depth !

Yes he was involved with developing Colney,Β  youth development & the new loans system but at the end of the day he's the Director of football and that's what he should be judged on - the performance of the team on the football pitch. For those 25 people who think he shouldn't be accountable for his job ??!! You think it's ok forΒ senior managers to fail miserably and blame other people ? So you think he's been made a scapegoat ??!! I haven't seen that - what I've seen is worm being as evasive as possible and placing the blame on others - Farke is the scapegoat -Β  Know the difference !

Don't talk to me about the lack of money - the likes of John Bond, Ken Brown, David Stringer & Mike Walker didn't have any money. It didn't stop them from beating the likes of Liverpool and Manure day in, day out. In 1974 Bond got 8 players from 4th Division Bournemouth and made usΒ competitive. Why didn't they struggle to stay in the top division ? And yes the gap between us and the big boys were just as big back then. For goodness sake Hughton beat Arsenal, Manure & Citeh in the same season - he didn't have the resources of this clown !Β 

The poorest performing manager in the premier league by a country mile ! If you thinkΒ Xisco MuΓ±oz got sacked for being in mid-table - this guy is hiding in the toilets ! I just want our club to return to it's former glory - we don't have money so we need a smart operator - I've mentioned a few - it can be done. Those former managers also operated with "tight" owners as well.

Pathetic - he was swimming in the glory on the back of Farke and now when things go wrong - he disassociates himself from him !.

Β 

Β 

Poor analogy.

Very, very different times between now and the Bond years.

• Thanks 1

When nearly 70% want you gone it's not a great place to be.

He's done a lot of great things for the club but the growing animosity towards the players, owners and manager stems from the increasingΒ Β lack of respectΒ for Webber.

All good things come to and end and it's time for him to move on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's done a lot of great things for the club but the growing animosity towards the players, owners and manager stems from the increasingΒ Β lack of respectΒ for Webber.

To be fair he’s generated that lack of respect. I agree that overall he’s done great things but his Premier League recruitment has been abysmal. But it’s attitudeΒ on top of that’s upset people, his commentsΒ in the article and then his complete lack of communication and refusal to do so, he’s made his bed.
Β 

Even with everything that’s happened on the football side if he had showed some humility,Β owned his mistakes and communicated his commitment I think most people would still be behind him.

50 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I remember some people were firmly of the opinion that sacking Daniel Farke was the answer not so long ago. Seems to me sackingΒ  people involved in the running of the club is always the answer. Odd how it never seems to actually do the trick. It makes me wonder whether always calling to sack the latest scapegoat is a bit stupid.Β 

I was calling for Webber to be sacked before I'd reached that point with Farke.Β 

I did also see a few suggest that Webber should have walked at the same time as Farke.

Farke had to go because of the way he was essentially predicting our defeat in pre match press conferences. He didn't have any belief.

Furthermore, Michael Bailey has suggested that the recruitment team wouldn't even try and recommend certain types of players as they knew Farke wouldn't rubberstamp them. Webber and Farke built this inadequate squad full of half hearted mercenaries together, who else could we possibly consider culpable?

Sorry state of affairs where this time last year the Farke/Webber team were being applauded as the best thing to happen to the Club. How much has changed in 12 months. Most embarrassing season ever for NCFC with a totally inadequate squad not fit for purpose and a change of head coach to one who cannot motivate his players to play like professionals with pride and effort. Unfortunately there is only one individual who owns this problem.The person who sold our best players and recruited a bunch of mediocrities and created a losing culture at the Club. A man who has so much talent (in his own estimation) that he only needs to apply 90% of his genius to creating the most embarrassing season for the Supporters. I firmly believe that he will leave of his own accord this summer having realised he has achieved all that he ever will at this Club and he will move on to some other unsuspecting Club for another couple of years until once again he is found out.Β 

The main problem with Webber is no-one is really managing him, he thinks he can do and behave how he wants and is accountable to no-one, even dare I say it his wife (although evidence from the infamous video would say not).Β  Get a strong CEO and see if that changes his view of life at Norwich - he may well walk and save a pay-off, good value for the cost of a CEO.

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

We don't know if this was something he wanted to do, let alone an attempt to disassociate himself. You're just writing your own narrative there.

I always felt that Farke had lost the fans, we were in a rut and as a result Webber was put in the position where had to act against his own ideals.

The whole thing felt very reactive following the Chelsea 7-0 and home loss to Leeds, a somewhat rushed decision made before Brentford knowing that the international window would provide us time to source a replacement.

Given a day more and that Brentford result to have filtered through I think he would've had more support to hold on to his man.

People acting like he got rid of Farke to save himself, is absolute **** because we all know that Webber was planning to leave end of season anyway.Β  There's absolutely no logic to that argument (imo).

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Farke had to go because of the way he was essentially predicting our defeat in pre match press conferences. He didn't have any belief.

Yeah. He knew what he had at his disposal. He was still doing his best with it and was starting to turn it positive at the point when you got your way. Realism and honesty shouldn't be a sackable offense.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

36 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We don't know if this was something he wanted to do, let alone an attempt to disassociate himself. You're just writing your own narrative there.

I always felt that Farke had lost the fans, we were in a rut and as a result Webber was put in the position where had to act against his own ideals.

The whole thing felt very reactive following the Chelsea 7-0 and home loss to Leeds, a somewhat rushed decision made before Brentford knowing that the international window would provide us time to source a replacement.

Given a day more and that Brentford result to have filtered through I think he would've had more support to hold on to his man.

People acting like he got rid of Farke to save himself, is absolute **** because we all know that Webber was planning to leave end of season anyway.Β  There's absolutely no logic to that argument (imo).

Agree with most of that, but Farke had lost a gobby minority in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Mengo said:

I think what I say is all about the man WEBBERΒ  YB.

He's the ego. He's the one who should walk.

WhenΒ you reach the end of your rope, tie a knotΒ in it andΒ hangΒ on."Β 

And he has in my opinion ok. Hope that has clarified my position to regards the man. The myth. The genius.

Β 

Β 

Sorry. Makes sense and thanks for clarifying.

Agreed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

πŸ‘Β 

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

70% of 100 people who could be ar5ed to vote on a forum of how many...

Β 

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

Everything upto this season looked organised, structured and logical. Yes we went down last time but people understood it and it seemed to be part of the plan, especially when we bounced back.

This season in contrast has been a disaster from start to finish. I don’t view not keeping us up as a disaster, history has proven how hard it is even if you got everything perfect but…

1. Why give Farke a 4 year contract and then sack him within 4 months?

2. Why give him a 4 year contract and then seemingly go against his transfer ambitions?

3. what has happened with Cantwell?

4. Why buy a player for the future for Β£10m Β (Tzolis) *im hoping I eat my words on this in the future!

5. why did we have such a big turnover of staff? Especially concerning was the head of recruitment so close to the season? Was this known and did we have contingency plans in place?

6. Why take so long to get a defensive midfielder in when it was obvious we needed atleast one!

7. Why let this resentment build up with the local press by creating a wall of silence when previously he had fronted up without question..

all very odd. I would give him next year as I am hoping he is hurting and wants to prove people wrong, that motivation could be great for usΒ 

• Like 1

The problem with these sort of polls is football fans are probably the worst people to ask. We're overly emotionally-attached to the decision, we have absolutely no responsibility to find a 'better' replacement, and even if everything goes t*ts up afterwards as fans we can say "Well it's not our fault we got the wrong person in" and make out like it's then a different persons fault, and hopefully sack them.

I wouldn't sack Webber and I don't think we'd easily find a better Sporting Director - is there one with a better Championship record than Webber in terms of both signings and results?Β 

Regardless, I do think he's said some silly things recently which has soured more fans than he needed to.

20 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Obviously one springs to mind but we're all human. I recently went to Delia's Restaurant and she was sharing a table with Webber and wife. Sorry, but that just doesn't workΒ 

You must have got lucky then! At least you didn't see the spiced up version at the Merchants.

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Agree with most of that, but Farke had lost a gobby minority in my opinion.

Small numbers I know, but this was end of October.

image.png.765a2b1feae6113b668214f0ce455b66.png

Sat in the Barclay I don't think many people 'wanted' him to go around me, but had fell into the 'had' to go bracket.  I Say this as there was never weeks of vocal out-pouring directed towards him on the touchline.  Was just a feel of hopelessness really. 😞

So I can sympathise with what you say, those that actively wanted him out was a minority despite many calling for it.Β  I think they were the ones amplifying and swaying others who were in a low place.Β  Rumours that he was responsible for a fall-out withΒ Cantwell didn't help either.

This is why I'm careful jumping on the "Webber Out" wagon.Β  The 90% remark was relative to the portion of life that he dedicates to the club, not effort or work.Β  There's talk that he somehow attacked/provoked fans protesting - which we've no proof of - only footage of fans cursing at him as he's walked back indoors.Β  And when I read that he threw Farke under a bus to save himself, that makes no logical sense as he was planning on leaving anyway - and will always be ultimately responsible.

Much like we should've given Farke the Brentford match in hindsight, we should learn from that and allow the dust to settle on this season - Webber, Delia whoever to come out and speak to the media so we can hear their thoughts and next step.Β 

Verballing attacking people using misrepresentations and hearsay as the fuel is heading us into a scenario where Webber goes, Delia steps down, and we hit a period of instability.Β  Webber failed in the transfer window, we need to stay concentrated on that if we're to learn and improve as a club.

• Like 1

Webber won’t go unless he wants, he’s got into a position where he and his partner dictate what goes on, gets paid a good wage and free to focus outside the club with little pressure on his performance!

Delia can’t be arsed to go through another process as she did 5 years ago. He’s here for the near future!

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Small numbers I know, but this was end of October.

image.png.765a2b1feae6113b668214f0ce455b66.png

Sat in the Barclay I don't think many people 'wanted' him to go around me, but had fell into the 'had' to go bracket.  I Say this as there was never weeks of vocal out-pouring directed towards him on the touchline.  Was just a feel of hopelessness really. 😞

So I can sympathise with what you say, those that actively wanted him out was a minority despite many calling for it.Β  I think they were the ones amplifying and swaying others who were in a low place.Β  Rumours that he was responsible for a fall-out withΒ Cantwell didn't help either.

This is why I'm careful jumping on the "Webber Out" wagon.Β  The 90% remark was relative to the portion of life that he dedicates to the club, not effort or work.Β  There's talk that he somehow attacked/provoked fans protesting - which we've no proof of - only footage of fans cursing at him as he's walked back indoors.Β  And when I read that he threw Farke under a bus to save himself, that makes no logical sense as he was planning on leaving anyway - and will always be ultimately responsible.

Much like we should've given Farke the Brentford match in hindsight, we should learn from that and allow the dust to settle on this season - Webber, Delia whoever to come out and speak to the media so we can hear their thoughts and next step.Β 

Verballing attacking people using misrepresentations and hearsay as the fuel is heading us into a scenario where Webber goes, Delia steps down, and we hit a period of instability.Β  Webber failed in the transfer window, we need to stay concentrated on that if we're to learn and improve as a club.

Webber failed re signings. Players failed on the pitch. Farke failed with what he had and so has Smith. Everybody fails in some way during life.Β  Its the way you learn and recover that counts. Webber has done wonders for this club off the pitch and he will build it our stock again on it. Being a realistic city fan I know how difficult it will always be to compete in the EPL. We often go from joy to despair and then back to joy again. We need new owners with money for sure but let us all continue to enjoy the ride. We will always be Norwich.....a fine city.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Webber won’t go unless he wants, he’s got into a position where he and his partner dictate what goes on, gets paid a good wage and free to focus outside the club with little pressure on his performance!

Delia can’t be arsed to go through another process as she did 5 years ago. He’s here for the near future!

Exactly , you don’t fire somebody you have been begging to stay , only way Webber goes is if he chooses to go .

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I was calling for Webber to be sacked before I'd reached that point with Farke.Β 

I did also see a few suggest that Webber should have walked at the same time as Farke.

Furthermore, Michael Bailey has suggested that the recruitment team wouldn't even try and recommend certain types of players as they knew Farke wouldn't rubberstamp them. Webber and Farke built this inadequate squad full of half hearted mercenaries together, who else could we possibly consider culpable?

What MB said was near correct. Farke very quick to make snap, dismissingΒ decisions on players that hadΒ a lot of work done on them before they whereΒ presented to him.Β 

Ultimately the recruitment team put options forwards and Farke would have the final say. I was told the scouts where ambitious last season, putting more athletic and physical profilesΒ forwards that suited the PL (and wanted to come) whichΒ he dismissed because he wanted technical players to fit in with his style of play.Β 

He also chose players to work with that where not recommended by the scouts, wanting to bring in players recommended to him and his staff by external people. ThisΒ lead to a portion of the recruitment team moving on.Β 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 12:28, Google Bot said:

You can't dedicate 100% of your life to work, it's immoral to expect that from someone and would only leaveΒ you exhausted and incapable anyway.

i.e. Work smarter, not harder.

Agreed.

Can guarantee 100% thatΒ I commit 100%Β effort to the 35% of my lifeΒ I spend working!Β  Expect Webber spends more than 35% of his on NCFC matters.Β  Β Β This 90% argument, embarrasing rubbish from far too many fans!Β Β 

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Agreed.

Can guarantee 100% thatΒ I commit 100%Β effort to the 35% of my lifeΒ I spend working!Β  Expect Webber spends more than 35% of his on NCFC matters.Β  Β Β This 90% argument, embarrasing rubbish from far too many fans!Β Β 

It’s not the figure that matters it was the general tone that he’s only here because he’s been begged to stay and he’s not fully motivated in his role here more focused on his outside activities. And as you say nothing wrong in that, but when it starts to impact on the jobΒ you’re doing then it’s not great.

Didn’t need to say it what he did.

Football is a different animal and having worked offshore for 13 years I have the view that if you’re not focused in your work then complacency comes in.

Edited by Indy

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeah. He knew what he had at his disposal. He was still doing his best with it and was starting to turn it positive at the point when you got your way. Realism and honesty shouldn't be a sackable offense.

We will always have one of the weakest 3 squads, on paper, in this league.Β 

The same was true when we finished 11th under Hughton and 12th under Lambert.

I'm sorry but it definitely should be a sackable offense in this context.

Besides, I haven't "got my way" because, as I said (but you chose to ignore) it was Webber Out that I was shouting long before Farke was sacked. In fact, I didn't get much support at all when people were calling for Farke's head and I said that it should be Webber first for the chop.Β 

Besides, you are still stuck in this weird paradox aren't you, of supporting Webber but blaming your fellow fans for the Farke dismissal. Odd position to take, considering Webber himself has stated the point at which he realised that Farke had to go, before approaching the board for their approval to sack him, and then being the person to actually sack him... in an away dressing room.

I would completely agree that the way Farke was sacked by Webber was a disgrace, most people would. Just a bit odd that you are blaming the fans for Farke being sacked and the manner of his dismissal. For me, to let the man who got us promoted to be sacked in such an undignified way only adds to the many reasons that I'm looking forward to seeing the back of Webber!Β 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten