Bradwell canary

Is the Championship our natural home?

22 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

At least their owners have accepted they could do no more and tried something different, it may work this time it may not but they at least deserve some credit for having the balls to try.

So if they manage to emulate us will the changes be deemed successful?

Stagnation in league one isn't so attractive to me.

Edited by nutty nigel
Typo

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Stagnation in league in isn't so attractive to me.

Surely as we cannot climb above 20th in the top flight we are stagnating to a degree?

Our owners are some of the leasy wealthy in the championship let alone premier league...we've been able to bpunce betweeb the 2 leagues in the last decade because we've managed to get promoted after relegation before the parachute payment has run out.

If we dont bounce back within the first 2 or 3 seasons of relegation I fear we might find our natural home to be mid lower championship

5 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Surely as we cannot climb above 20th in the top flight we are stagnating to a degree?

Yes. By that token Liverpool and Man City are stagnating.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

In answer to the OP, our average finishing league position since I was born is a smidgen below 22nd. 

Lower for me no doubt...

It’s complex, but basically the naturally home of everyone bar a select few is the “championship”

Next season the big clubs will have 5 subs.

what, I ask you, is the actual point in playing them anymore?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Stagnation in league in isn't so attractive to me.

Stagnation in which league?

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes. By that token Liverpool and Man City are stagnating.

I'd take stagnation if we were in their position.

Just now, kdncfc said:

I'd take stagnation if we were in their position.

Of course.

But I'm still trying to work out how Ipswich changing owners twice to stagnate in league one is showing more balls than us consistently making changes throughout the club to try and compete at the highest level.

• Like 1

League one.

To be fair they have stagnated there for a while and next year is big for them but as I said they are at least trying something. If they manage to go up next year it will be interesting to see how much money the owners are prepared to put in to get to the prem.

1 minute ago, kdncfc said:

To be fair they have stagnated there for a while and next year is big for them but as I said they are at least trying something. If they manage to go up next year it will be interesting to see how much money the owners are prepared to put in to get to the prem.

See my post above

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

League one.

In the same period, their average finishing league position is a tiny bit below 26th. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdncfc said:

Yes to a degree but it feels as though we've stagnated in the last couple of years in that we are no closer to being competetive in the prem than we were 5 years ago.

They're in their 80's now and surely even you must see that it's time for a change.

There is going to be a change - Tom is going to take over, and since you seem to think  that the age of the owners is such a big issue then I presume you will view that change as a big improvement.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

At least their owners have accepted they could do no more and tried something different, it may work this time it may not but they at least deserve some credit for having the balls to try.

It sounds like you're giving Ipswich past owner more credit for letting the club stagnate in the championship and then further stagnate in league one whilst the ground falls apart, the training complex disappears, their young prospects leave and they sit midtable in the third tier - than you're giving our owners for having the audacity to get promoted and relegated from the top tier of English football whilst improving training facilities / academy etc - simply because Evans ran out of money and decided to sell?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Of course.

But I'm still trying to work out how Ipswich changing owners twice to stagnate in league one is showing more balls than us consistently making changes throughout the club to try and compete at the highest level.

Ah you kinda beat me to it..

Stagnating when we completely overhauled the team to be younger and refocus on youth development with a DoF model all implemented from 2017 onwards? Whilst also remedying our finances at the same time?

Really???

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

There are 14 teams in the EPL who are one bad season from the Championship.

Villa have spent a fortune this season but won nothing and are still lower half of the League standard.

Burnley have new owners who not onlybare not as wealthy as were first thought, but have actually borrowed the money the Club had accumulated for themselves and put the club in a very difficult financial position were they to be relegated.

Of course.

In reality you never know how things are going to pan out unless you try, my point is they might have failed up to now but at least they've tried something different.

Just now, kdncfc said:

In reality you never know how things are going to pan out unless you try, my point is they might have failed up to now but at least they've tried something different.

And failed miserably.

Just now, kdncfc said:

But we have constantly tried and made changes, throughout the club, and even around the club.

The only change you want, for whatever reason, is the owners who guided us through those changes. But then you always have...

Norwich City - I expect nothing more. 
I could take another 3rd place playoff final at Wembley, or a run in Europe that we miss the quarter final or a decent run in the Carabao. 10 decent results in 17 years. Imagine being Mugglesboro

1 minute ago, duke63 said:

And failed miserably.

So if we tried something different does it mean we'll also fail?

If we go up next year what do you think will be different to this season with limited finance?

If we don't get promoted within 2 seasons where do you think we'll be then if we are still under the same ownership?

It doesn't sound like we'll have much to spend this summer with parachute payments so god help us if we're still in the championship when they run out.

We do continually try different and with success. That's the point. It's just that for some reason what we do doesn't count because the only change you want is changing maj shareholders. And it seems you'd happily take stagnating in league one in return.

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But we have constantly tried and made changes, throughout the club, and even around the club.

The only change you want, for whatever reason, is the owners who guided us through those changes. But then you always have...

At least I'm consistent, however much some don't like to accept change the time is getting close where a change in ownership will happen.

Edited by kdncfc

Just now, kdncfc said:

At least I'm consistent, however much some don't like to accept change the time is getting close where change a change in ownership will happen.

See post above

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We do continually try different and with success. That's the point. It's just that for some reason what we do doesn't count because the only change you want is changing maj shareholders. And it seems you'd happily take stagnating in league one in return.

Just because Ipswich are in League 1 what makes you think we'd end up there with new owners? it's just as likely to happen under the current ownership.

Edited by kdncfc

After so many visits to the prem we should have a ground with at least 35,000 capacity so we can grow the fanbase and revenues accordingly. Similar sized clubs like Wolves, Palace, Southampton and maybe even Fulham growing their fan bases. Ours will start to shrink because of our restricted capacity. 

• Like 1