Looking ahead to to next season and our attempt at the Threepeat. Let’s say you’re smith / Webber, 

who you keeping?

who’s out? 

who do you want us to try and sign in the summer? 

Obs let the loanees go quietly.

Max will probably leave.

Keep both keepers and the rest of the back line. 

Current midfield is beige. Definitely spend on a cdm and more physicality.

Similarly our attack has been blunt but should look much better a level below. We must find a way to link up front. Having Idah back will be like a new signing. I think that we have a number ten amongst our squad. Not sure who will make it theirs.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

Any players that have now been relegated twice.. Much as I love many of them they go can go. Proven not good enough, don't need the depressing 'relegated twice whats the point..' attitude.

Except Pukki, he can stay

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Any players that have now been relegated twice.. Much as I love many of them they go can go. Proven not good enough, don't need the depressing 'relegated twice whats the point..' attitude.

Yep. Agreed. Serial losers. Major overhaul required,with some real athletes and physicality incoming.

I don’t see the 3 goalkeepers changing in the summer. 

I think Max and Rashica will move on. Wouldn’t be surprised if Gibson or Hanley also move on. Getting big Andy back fit for me is the most important one of the injured players he’s a cut above for his age and potential improvement. 

I would love for us to try and sign Elijah Adebayo if Luton don’t go up, he looks a real talent. The other who has stood out to me in the championship this year is Antoine Semenyo, I think both of those players are young and hungry enough to also make the step up the following year. Both possess all the qualities to make it at the top level. Lee Buchanan from Derby we may be able to get on the cheap to add to our defence following their relegation to league 1. 

I wouldn't be disappointed to lose any player except the youngsters coming through (including Idah and Omobamidele), both keepers, Handley and Pukki. All of the recent players bought can leave.

Hopefully we would pick up enough cash so that Smith can buy players to suit his team instead of trying to change somebody else's.

Any player who has embraced the losing mentality that has been wholeheartedly adopted by the squad. Which pretty much means all of them as witnessed by their last few outings. They all seem so devoid of character that they will not perform even for their own professional pride. Root and branch savaging of the squad.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly this.

No supporter from any other club will want us promoted next season.

Next season is a free hit for Smith and a requirement to ditch as many of the current squad as possible.

Pukki will unfortunately never play for Norwich in the PL ever again, and I would like to think the same for 90% of the current squad…and that includes Krul, Gunn, Hanley , McLean etc……

We need to get back to playing a brand of football that entertains the neutral, as well as NCFC supporters.

• Like 1

I don't think there'll be as much of an overhaul as some are expecting. I can see a handul of squad players leaving as well as the loans and Aarons but I'd be surprised if any of the older core go.

GK - Doubt we change any of the 3 we have

RB - I think we all expect Aarons to move leaving us with Byram and Mumba. With Byram's body being unreliable and Mumba potentially not even being a right back long term I would think this is a position we will need to sign one in.

LB - Giannoulis and McCallum seems like a good pair of options to me although if we're looking to extract some extra money for other signings then Giannoulis probably has value.

CB- I'd be building around Hanley and Omobamidele next season. Gibson is a good player at this level (and expensive to move) so I'm sure he stays. I could certainly see Zimmermann moving on though, ideally being replaced with a quick, athletic CB.

LW/RW - Rashica, Tzolis, Dowell,  Sargent(winger or striker at Championship level?), Placheta, Rowe, Springett, Hernandez, Cantwell, Martin...Okay this is hard to predict so I'm not even going to attempt. I hope Rashica stays and Tzolis steps up though.

CM - This part of the squad is one I think we will overhaul. I don't think we'll renew Rupp's deal and I can see us selling Sorensen leaving us with just McLean and PLM. Physicality, running power and defensive quality needed.  Probably another #10 too if we're going 4231.

ST - Probably a difficult position to plan for but I doubt we add anything major here especially if Rashica stays as he can provide cover up top. I'd assume Smith's mission is to develop Idah in hope that we don't have to sign a superstar when Pukki leaves.

Smith has already said there won't be a major overhaul this summer.

So personally I'd like to see two defensive midfielders come in. Plus two creative midfielders capable of creating goalscoring chances for Pukki.

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Obs let the loanees go quietly.

Max will probably leave.

Keep both keepers and the rest of the back line. 

Current midfield is beige. Definitely spend on a cdm and more physicality.

Similarly our attack has been blunt but should look much better a level below. We must find a way to link up front. Having Idah back will be like a new signing. I think that we have a number ten amongst our squad. Not sure who will make it theirs.

I think Dowell will do a good job at no10 in the Championship

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I broadly agree, but there's no reason they can't help out next season. The big problem is if we go up with them as mainstays and choose to put faith in them.

2 hours ago, unique said:

Exactly this.

Next season is a free hit for Smith and a requirement to ditch as many of the current squad as possible.

Pukki will unfortunately never play for Norwich in the PL ever again, and I would like to think the same for 90% of the current squad…and that includes Krul, Gunn, Hanley , McLean etc……

We need to get back to playing a brand of football that entertains the neutral, as well as NCFC supporters.

Hopefully Krul never sets foot for us in goal in the premiership either. But we knew many of these plyers could not make the step up but went with them anyway.

19 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Hopefully Krul never sets foot for us in goal in the premiership either. But we knew many of these plyers could not make the step up but went with them anyway.

That’s very Harsh I think Krul has been a fantastic servant to the club. 

• Like 1

I'd keep Rupp for another year personally, we'll need an experienced head who knows the Champs in the middle of the park, is well integrated in the team itself, and he was excellent there last season. Not to mention he gives us a bit of pace in the middle. Even if he's not quite as durable, that kind of top-flight experience he has is ultra-useful for the youngsters coming up. The problem with Rupp is a two-year deal would be too much with his age and another potential promotion, so if that's where negotiations are sticking, that's where the club has to hold firm. As a squad player, I'd be more than happy with him still around.

If we let him go, then Normann and Gilmour going, we're going to look very light in the middle of the park and worse still, not really gelled as a team in there. Wouldn't be surprised if McLean became subject of a bid from Rangers, and if he does, I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to go. I'd be wondering if Adshead is showing signs of being the number 10 we need - or fight Dowell for it - and PLM can go box-to-box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Looking ahead to to next season and our attempt at the Threepeat. Let’s say you’re smith / Webber, 

who you keeping?

who’s out? 

who do you want us to try and sign in the summer? 

He’s already said there won’t be a big overhaul.

I think loanees will obviously go, 2-4 players will leave from senior players, probably Max and/or Rashica, maybe Tzolis and maybe a few others, one or two surprise I suspect, maybe Krul.

Rest will still be here, few promotions from loanees and U23s I suspect.

4-5 new senior players max I suspect and actually hope.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He’s already said there won’t be a big overhaul.

I think loanees will obviously go, 2-4 players will leave from senior players, probably Max and/or Rashica, maybe Tzolis and maybe a few others, one or two surprise I suspect, maybe Krul.

Rest will still be here, few promotions from loanees and U23s I suspect.

4-5 new senior players max I suspect and actually hope.

To be fair if it is 4 or 5 new starters that is a big overhaul as will be half the starting team. That's actually what I would like to see - the buying of players who go straight into the first team AND have at least the potential to do ok in Premier league. I'm then happy to retain a few of the old guard - McLean or Rupp, Dowell, etc as back ups if needed.

9 minutes ago, rock bus said:

To be fair if it is 4 or 5 new starters that is a big overhaul as will be half the starting team. That's actually what I would like to see - the buying of players who go straight into the first team AND have at least the potential to do ok in Premier league. I'm then happy to retain a few of the old guard - McLean or Rupp, Dowell, etc as back ups if needed.

I’m not sure they’d all be nailed on starters but you’d expect that they’d be regulars and squad constants to replace the regulars who will be gone.

I think the focus will be on offloading the overpriced underachievers that don't seem to want to be here anyway. 

Tzolis and Rashica I expect to leave. 

34 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

No room for any sentiment…….or if so, bring back Kevin Keelan.

Krul has been between the sticks for two catastrophic  defensive PL seasons. The only reason to be playing him is to prevent Gunn from making a pig’s ear of things.

Krul has been a good servant but he is past his best. Perhaps his frailties wouldn’t be so evident if he had a better defence in front of him. Goalkeeper coach would now suit him best.

Taking into account the loanees I think we're in danger of losing up to 11:

Krul - still a top keeper, wouldn't be surprised to see him take one final payday

Aarons - say no more

Hanley - good enough for a mid-low PL team and DS came out the other day and lauded Byram as a future captain

Gibson - sure I read somewhere there was interest, be surprised though 

Giannoulis - isn't he supposed to be homesick? If he leaves where does that see Tzolis?

Rashica - sure he'll not want to play Chumps next season

Pukki - the GOAT deserves a final payday if he doesn't want to hang around and would certainly go with some gratitude for what he has done for NCFC

Tzolis - see above

We have a number of loanees to come back, Hugill, Hernandez, Martin most notably none of which (Mr Argos excepted) are good enough IMO

On 11/05/2022 at 16:54, By Hook or Ian crook said:

A good servant yes, I agree on that point. But he isnt good enough to play in the Premiership IMO, just like many other of our players. 

Edited by jaberry2

On 11/05/2022 at 14:09, unique said:

Exactly this.

A cynical, but pretty accurate assessment. 

We have no goodwill at the moment with the wider public. Until we show that we mean business, then we will be a club that all will try to avoid. That will not make Smith's job any easier to recruit players, though as ever, all these problems start and end with the owners. 

Settle the webber situation at least for another season. Buy players Smith can use, but also ones who'd suit coaches we'd have on a shortlist could use.

I think a few of the fringe players will move on - Hugill, Hernandez, possibly Martin. I'm assuming McClear, Sinani, Soto etc are already gone as well as the loanees.

Krul might go. Can't see why we'd have spent so much on Gunn to sit on a bench. Aarons might go if we get a decent offer. Don't see any more changes to the defence; don't think anyone will offer us what we'd want for either Gibson or Hanley.

I think Rupp will probably stay, although personally I'd let him go as he's too injury prone. I can see a couple of the younger players stepping up in pre-season. We might get a creative and a CDM, but I'm not expecting names I recognise.

Don't think there'll be any changes up front. Rashica maybe will go, but again I can't see anyone paying us what we'd want.

Overall, I think this squad is good enough to challenge in the Championship.

On 11/05/2022 at 16:58, TheGunnShow said:

I'd keep Rupp for another year personally, we'll need an experienced head who knows the Champs in the middle of the park, is well integrated in the team itself, and he was excellent there last season. Not to mention he gives us a bit of pace in the middle. Even if he's not quite as durable, that kind of top-flight experience he has is ultra-useful for the youngsters coming up. The problem with Rupp is a two-year deal would be too much with his age and another potential promotion, so if that's where negotiations are sticking, that's where the club has to hold firm. As a squad player, I'd be more than happy with him still around.

If we let him go, then Normann and Gilmour going, we're going to look very light in the middle of the park and worse still, not really gelled as a team in there. Wouldn't be surprised if McLean became subject of a bid from Rangers, and if he does, I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to go. I'd be wondering if Adshead is showing signs of being the number 10 we need - or fight Dowell for it - and PLM can go box-to-box.

If Kenny fancies a return to Scotland surely it would be a return to Aberdeen or similar type team. He wouldn’t get many starts at Rangers, they have far better players. 

Rupp is a tricky one based on his fitness levels. If he was fit say 80% of the time then it’s a good deal but you see him signing a new deal and then never playing for the club again due to fitness concerns.

The one thing I would say is there are a handful of players Krul, Aarons, Hanley, Kenny and Pukki who have served the club with distinction I would hope the club are not difficult if they have an opportunity to move on which they want to pursue. If they stay great all of them are top players and professional particularly at championship level.

The interesting part might be what formation is going to be the go to. We have a lot of wide players on the books who might struggle for game time is we start playing wing backs.

Smith and Webbers (as things stand) job at the moment is to recruit for next season in Championship.

Again, as things stand we are one of the favourites, and that should bode well for recruiting, as players coming in will see us as a step up and a good chance at a return to Premiership, more than most other EFL clubs.

So we should be an attractive proposition  

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Smith and Webbers (as things stand) job at the moment is to recruit for next season in Championship.

Again, as things stand we are one of the favourites, and that should bode well for recruiting, as players coming in will see us as a step up and a good chance at a return to Premiership, more than most other EFL clubs.

So we should be an attractive proposition  

Any player we sign needs to be done with an eye on the PL though, no point signing someone like Hugill again if we then need to sign a replacement a year later.