Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

1950's Norwich based team photo help please 🙏

4 hours ago, duke63 said:

Definitely looks like it might be the same place in this video.

Yes it definitely is The Firs. If you watch that film frame by frame there are 2 or 3 clips that match Spencers photo. But the trail goes cold at that point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

Sorry to have upset you Foxy, its definately not a "wind up". I honestly know nothing about the team apart from its supposedly in Norwich and it was probably in the early/mid 50's. I can send you my Grandads family tree if you like, but I dont think that would help with finding out the team or ground.

No, you’re ok! I love chasing this stuff. I’ve got nothing more to offer but if they were in quarters then the FA would only accept the dark quarter in the top left with the insignia embroidered there. Forces teams would use rugby tops to play as rugby ruled.

I only found Tilbury that met all the criteria 

A119EF23-0B1F-45A8-909E-ED59A4F78FB7.png

• Like 1

Isthmian League - being daarn Saarf, we tour some of the greatest old grounds… well those not snatched for housing. 

Tilbury 😃

9C71149D-B6C5-438F-B875-B128DEFFC4C7.png

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 19:35, Miss Demeanor said:

This kit seems to match, and the time frame seems to fit as well. The dark collar is on the other side, but I guess one of the images could have been reversed.                                                                                                                                                                               https://www.times-series.co.uk/news/13217399.east-barnet-old-grammarians-football-club-to-hold-grand-reunion-for-former-players/The first EBOG FC team at the end of the 1948-49 season (Dave Allen is last on the right in the back row)

Love the goalkeeper in glasses

Could  they make a comeback at Carrow Road

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, daly said:

Chris Reeve has aged well to be fair. 

• Haha 1

On 11/05/2022 at 11:15, spencer 1970 said:

Thanks chaps, some gems there and the Speedway track could be a massive clue to what the team could be. Top darts fellas.

My Grandad was Billy Pearce of W.E.Pearce butchers on Bishops Bridge Rd fame (if you remember that shop). He was a proper Norwich lad although was posted in Cambridge and married a Cambridge lass (Grandma) so the Fenstanton link could also be true too.

He's front row, second left.

Hi

Knew Billy Pearce for years, he was Chairman of Norwich Corinthians and when he had the butchers shop on Linacre Ave, lived on Peregrine Road. His daughter I believe worked for me for a while. Was her name Sandra

Photo of Billy is earlier than mid to late 50’s

Edited by daly
  • Thanks 1

I dont think the team is Norwich Corinthians shef, I think that was jnr football and the wrong colour kit, although daly can confirm that one. 

As for the Tilbury and East Barnet connections, he could have played for them via him being posted down there in the Services, but I cant remember this, and it draws a blank in the remaining family.  I know he played for Cambridge Town/City(?), but thats it. 

Thanks for all the help folks. I'll post back if I ever find out. 

5th from left looks a bit like Harry Procter who was a player then coach at City and next to him looks a bit like a Smith who played in mid 1950s.

17 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

5th from left looks a bit like Harry Procter who was a player then coach at City and next to him looks a bit like a Smith who played in mid 1950s.

Front row? 5th from left is my Grandad Billy Pearce, or do you mean the keeper on the back row?

On 12/05/2022 at 20:15, daly said:

Its a credit to those chaps that they could run, let alone play, in that clothing. That must have been the original PPE.

On 12/05/2022 at 15:19, duke63 said:

Definitely looks like it might be the same place in this video.

Great memories. Ove Fundin was my first sporting idol and I was devastated when they closed it down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Great memories. Ove Fundin was my first sporting idol and I was devastated when they closed it down.

Deadliest track in England I’ve read before. 

14 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Could be Boundary Park , old dog track, now B&Q, as Norwich City B used to play there. 

That was another venue that sprung to mind. My Dad had a trial for Norwich City there back in the day. They wanted to sign him but he opted for a job at Colmans instead as it was better pay and a more secure job, how times have changed. In the back of my mind I have the memory that when Boundary Park closed the floodlights were used at the Trowse training ground, but I might have got that totally wrong........

59 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

That was another venue that sprung to mind. My Dad had a trial for Norwich City there back in the day. They wanted to sign him but he opted for a job at Colmans instead as it was better pay and a more secure job, how times have changed. In the back of my mind I have the memory that when Boundary Park closed the floodlights were used at the Trowse training ground, but I might have got that totally wrong........

Boundary Park certainly had floodlights before Carrow Road did!  Not sure if they were football-style pylons or an extension of what was used for the greyhound racing.

2 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Boundary Park certainly had floodlights before Carrow Road did!  Not sure if they were football-style pylons or an extension of what was used for the greyhound racing.

I can answer my own question:  pylons for footy, street-style for dogs

NORWICH-BP-05-JJ.jpg?fit=1024%2C795&ssl=

Given the Cambridge connection I wonder if the team in the original post is Abbey United (now Cambridge United), see link, the kit looks the same. A quick piece of research showed that Cambridge City started out as Cambridge Town (as Cambridge was not a city at the time of their formation). Cambridge Town played at a dog track. Abbey United were their rivals and played at The Abbey Stadium. When Cambridge became a city both clubs applied to become Cambridge City, Cambridge Town won out because they were formed earlier, so Abbey United became Cambridge Utd. I may be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 222 but maybe the picture was taken at the Cambridge Town ground prior to a local derby with Abbey Utd?...........https://www.100yearsofcoconuts.co.uk/gallery-ndash-teams.html

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Me too - I lived 5 minutes walk away and our garden backed onto Billy Bales' garden - I was the same age as one of his sons so we knew Billy quite well.  I once had a pair of Ove Fundin's goggles which he gave to me in the pits - absolutely treasured those but they somehow got lost in my Mum's attic and I never found them again even when we cleared her bungalow when she passed away.

On 10/05/2022 at 15:31, spencer 1970 said:

I was wondering if any of our true spotters would be able to tell me what team, or ground this is please? 

My grandad is one of the players, so judging by his look, the clobber and hairstyles, I'm guessing early/mid 50's.

20220509_213024.thumb.jpg.8fd03eaa7219fae7ecf1692c4bafd3dd.jpg

Was he in the Army in the 1950s?

Because the Army football team had shirts like that, see below article (below the image of interest it states Army football team)

https://diasboro.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/in2views-doug-weatherall/

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Thanks 1