Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

1950's Norwich based team photo help please ๐Ÿ™

I was wondering if any of our true spotters would be able to tell me what team, or ground this is please?ย 

My grandad is one of the players, so judging by his look, the clobber and hairstyles,ย I'mย guessing early/mid 50's.

20220509_213024.thumb.jpg.8fd03eaa7219fae7ecf1692c4bafd3dd.jpg

ย 

If you were to get a really good scan of the photo and clean it up in MS Paint and save as a JPEG you might want to do a Google Image Search. The chances that another relative of one of the players has put online somewhere are pretty small but you'll have endless hours of trawling through old football team photos....

I have been looking at this for a while this afternoon to no avail. Phoned my Dad who played for Boulton and Paul in the 1950s/60s and described the kit and stand, unfortunately it did not ring any bells with him. I do not think the picture was taken at Carrow Rd. I tried a Google image search but got loads of results. There looks to be a windsock on the right of the photo as you look at it. I will keep trying. I hope you find out who the team is and where the photo was taken and would be interested in knowing if you do find out, thanks for sharing...........

58 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I have been looking at this for a while this afternoon to no avail. Phoned my Dad who played for Boulton and Paul in the 1950s/60s and described the kit and stand, unfortunately it did not ring any bells with him. I do not think the picture was taken at Carrow Rd. I tried a Google image search but got loads of results. There looks to be a windsock on the right of the photo as you look at it. I will keep trying. I hope you find out who the team is and where the photo was taken and would be interested in knowing if you do find out, thanks for sharing...........

I noticed that, and no buildings in view behind. I wondered if it was a seaside town ground. It has that coastal look to it.

This kit seems to match, and the time frame seems to fit as well. The dark collar is on the other side, but I guess one of the images could have been reversed.ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย https://www.times-series.co.uk/news/13217399.east-barnet-old-grammarians-football-club-to-hold-grand-reunion-for-former-players/The first EBOG FC team at the end of the 1948-49 season (Dave Allen is last on the right in the back row)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You might be right but that looks small to be a windsock. Is it just a tear in the photo?ย 

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This is the Firs speedway stadium in Norwich. It seems to have similar buildings to the one in the top left of the photo

Screenshot_20220510-195806_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1dff7729fd9ec5a06bee7a2aa6ef8eeb.jpg

That's a good shout, there is a wall and fencing behind the players, the wall looks very dirty, as a speedway track would look. Did they play footie at the speedway ground back in the day?

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This is the Firs speedway stadium in Norwich. It seems to have similar buildings to the one in the top left of the photo

Screenshot_20220510-195806_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1dff7729fd9ec5a06bee7a2aa6ef8eeb.jpg

It is funny you thought of The Firs because I also thought it might be where the photo was taken. My Dad could not remember a team being based there, he has dementia but I hoped by talking to him I might trigger a memory. I did wonder if it was a military team, I will be speaking to my uncle later, he did his National Service at RAF St Faiths and see what he has to say........

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It is funny you thought of The Firs because I also thought it might be where the photo was taken. My Dad could not remember a team being based there, he has dementia but I hoped by talking to him I might trigger a memory. I did wonder if it was a military team, I will be speaking to my uncle later, he did his National Service at RAF St Faiths and see what he has to say........

A military team is a possibility especially if National Service was still going.ย 

The matching kits may be a red herring. Local kits supplies havent changed much over the years. The suppliers around the country offered the same designsย 

10 minutes ago, Miss Demeanor said:

That's a good shout, there is a wall and fencing behind the players, the wall looks very dirty, as a speedway track would look. Did they play footie at the speedway ground back in the day?

God knows if they played football there but the picture doesn't look like Carrow Road and I can't think of any other stadiums locally.ย 

Could shout on the Firs, image from 1965 when they started to pull it down and that building looks very similar, and there's the step down on the right too.

image.thumb.png.e4a407047c4cc74d9cdfec0e82237865.png

From here:

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/norwich.htm

May actually have a read of all that later, as it's fascinated me incredibly - way before my time.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Thanks 1

Definitely an interesting shout for the Firs Stadium - looks like it could be close to the first bend.ย  Went there for the last two years before it closed down for both speedway and stock car racing (I was very young!!!).ย  There was certainly a pitch in the middle at times but I can't ever remember it being the home of any specific club.ย  Vague memories that it was used as a pitch by Hellesdon Secondary Modern before itย relocated from what is nowย Firside Schoolย to the current location of Hellesdon High at the other end of Middleton's Lane.

Canโ€™t the poster at least give us a name?? And maybe a context??ย 
itโ€™s like Ancestry.com without any clues at all ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Like a complete wind upโ€ฆ a precious 3 hours youโ€™ll never get back. Like watching the last game of the season ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™„

Thanks chaps, some gems there and the Speedway track could be a massive clue to what the team could be. Top darts fellas.

My Grandad was Billy Pearce of W.E.Pearce butchers on Bishops Bridge Rd fame (if you remember that shop). He was a proper Norwich lad although was posted in Cambridge and married a Cambridge lass (Grandma) so the Fenstanton link could also be true too.

He's front row, second left.

On 10/05/2022 at 22:24, Foxy2600 said:

Like a complete wind upโ€ฆ a precious 3 hours youโ€™ll never get back. Like watching the last game of the season ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™„

Sorry to have upset you Foxy, its definately not a "wind up".ย I honestly know nothing about the team apart from its supposedly in Norwich and it was probably in the early/mid 50's. I can send you my Grandads family tree if you like, but I dont think that would help with finding out the team or ground.

ย 

A quick Google search of 'football played at the firs speedway norwich' has brought about the following links, which, suggest football was played on the ground, especially a line in one article about how the FA looked to ban football from being played on grounds which hosted Speedway or Greyhound meets....ย 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/shale-and-hearty-your-memories-of-the-stars-and-those-722426

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/book-celebrates-norwich-speedway-star-ove-fundin-1723394

https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/keithfarmanfileseasternspeedway.pdf

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Thanks 1

Dont know if this helps at all , a bit of a tidy up

ย 

NCFC2.jpg

Edited by Wibble
Better Pic
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Dont know if this helps at all , a bit of a tidy up

ย 

NCFC2.jpg

Amazing Wibble, looks so much better!ย Bigย thanks! ๐Ÿ‘

58 minutes ago, Muffles said:

A quick Google search of 'football played at the firs speedway norwich' has brought about the following links, which, suggest football was played on the ground, especially a line in one article about how the FA looked to ban football from being played on grounds which hosted Speedway or Greyhound meets....ย 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/shale-and-hearty-your-memories-of-the-stars-and-those-722426

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/book-celebrates-norwich-speedway-star-ove-fundin-1723394

https://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/keithfarmanfileseasternspeedway.pdf

ย 

ย 

ย 

Thanks Muffles. I'll take a properย peruse this evening.ย 

Definitely looks like it might be the same place in this video.

ย 

ย 

I believe its Michael Wynn Jones Celebrity XI who play most of their home matches away.

I think they are all brothers although the goalkeeper was an only twin. They used to play harmonica at the Hippodrome and Michael met them at the launderette while washing Delia's smalls.

The ground in the background is Northrepps Arena.