Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

The Book of Dean Smith

“We haven’t been up to the level of some teams in this league. I don’t believe we are the worst team in the league but we haven’t proved that.”

-------

"Smith says despite the focus being on ‘50-100’ people protesting outside the directors entrance, there were ‘100’ outside the South Stand waiting for autographs."

-------

"I keep seeing this word apathy. I've got an English 'O' level but had to look up the word. It said disinterest. I don't see it. We have 27k here every other week. I know fans or any of us like getting beat every week."

-------

DS on the Villa game: "Very happy with that performance."

-------

"I didn't see that coming" - after a 5-0 defeat to Arsenal

-------

On the ability of the squad - "I think there's enough quality, that's the biggest thing"

Deary me.

Edited by Captain Holt

P45, does his O Level cover what that is?

(For many and the younguns thats like saying I have a C  or a  4 in GCSE English. ) 

Deano has been here for what 6 months or so now, in that time I’m none the wiser as to his footballing philosophy or the style he wants his teams to play. I feel for him with the lack of backing in the transfer window but at the same time we have regressed as a group under his stewardship so has to take a fair share of the blame for poor team selection, poor coaching and poor styles of football 

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Didn’t he also suggest this lot are capable of getting promoted!     Then what?

I assume that it’s reasonable to suggest that another year of development under a different system may mean those players improve sufficiently to compete at a higher level. I’m being devils advocate here but Phil Foden spent a long time on the fringes, sub appearances here and there, the odd cup game before he got regular first team football. In much the same way, players can improve their level under different coaching. Many won’t but some will. Add to that recruitment in key areas then that’s where we go after if DS is right. Skipp another prime example, develop in the championship now offered big place as regular in spurs team under conte (when not injured 😂

Like I say, not hugely confident many will kick on but don’t like the immediate assumption that the fairly young players we have will never get better. 

Except Cantwell. He is utter dross and falling 😂😂😂

Edited by SwearyCanary

Oh dear! I have just watched Dean Smith’s presser ahead of the Leicester game. I felt so sorry for him. He is so obviously devoid of ideas . No plan of how to play, no idea of how to motivate a squad and absolutely no grasp of the feelings of the Supporters. He came across as a very weak character trapped in a dilemma with no plan for escape. Poor Dean Smith, he really deserves our sympathy he is so far out of his depth.

So we've gone from a Head Coach intelligent enough to know the word apathy in his second language to one who doesn't know it in his own.....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

I assume that it’s reasonable to suggest that another year of development under a different system may mean those players improve sufficiently to compete at a higher level. I’m being devils advocate here but Phil Foden spent a long time on the fringes, sub appearances here and there, the odd cup game before he got regular first team football. In much the same way, players can improve their level under different coaching. Many won’t but some will. Add to that recruitment in key areas then that’s where we go after if DS is right. Skipp another prime example, develop in the championship now offered big place as regular in spurs team under conte (when not injured 😂

Like I say, not hugely confident many will kick on but don’t like the immediate assumption that the fairly young players we have will never get better. 

Except Cantwell. He is utter dross and falling 😂😂😂

As someone who is on board with our model, happy with development and happy to be patient with that process, if it takes us 3 or so years, I'm OK.    I don't think it is reasonable to suggest one year will do it though, especially perservering with McLean, Sargent, Platcheta, Dowell etc...  and unless we take stock, sort this out and go again developing good enough players, we will be stuck on this roundabout of suffering until the fans can't take it anymore.    If we go up next year, there are massive odds we will continue to chase our tail!    This model certainly couldn't stand another failure and I can't see Smith sorting this out and developing enough players.   I like Smith, he's a good bloke but I am losing any faith each time he speaks.... there is no plan apparent except for more of the same.  

I'm confident, massively confident, that Platcheta and Sargent will not 'kick on'.   They struggle to just kick!   As for our young players, I have faith they will kick on given the opportunity.   Smith will not give them that opportunity as he will be too desperate for promotion.  

• Like 1