BroadstairsR

Best Individual Performance

Might as well have a topic dealing with this rather than that other one concerned with 'the worst' and which serves only to emphasise the general dejectedness that us Canaries might be subject to at this particular moment in time.

Mine is off centre.

Many years ago now (cannot remember the date or even the year) we played WBA at the Hawthorns. Martin O'Neill was there, so was I. O'Neill was the outstanding figure on the field of play. He ran the game. I had never appreciated just how good a player he was until then. 

City lost that game, so maybe I'm wrong here, but I'll never forget O'Neill's performance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Big Vince.

Every post is comedy gold.

Who is Big Vince? Some figure of ridicule?

What exactly is 'comedy gold?'

Is this concerned with matters NCFC, or is it just trite in-fighting?

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Might as well have a topic dealing with this rather than that other one concerned with 'the worst' and which serves only to emphasise the general dejectedness that us Canaries might be subject to at this particular moment in time.

Mine is off centre.

Many years ago now (cannot remember the date or even the year) we played WBA at the Hawthorns. Martin O'Neill was there, so was I. O'Neill was the outstanding figure on the field of play. He ran the game. I had never appreciated just how good a player he was until then. 

City lost that game, so maybe I'm wrong here, but I'll never forget O'Neill's performance.

I was at that game and remember exactly the same thing. He was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch that day.

I think it was an FA Cup game and Cyrille Regis scored an abolsute screamer to win the game. It may well have ended up as goal of the season as its often replayed.

Chris Sutton hat trick against Leeds and then clubbing in Peppermint Park nightclub (was that the name of it?)afterwards

32 minutes ago, duke63 said:

I think it was an FA Cup game and Cyrille Regis scored an abolsute screamer to win the game. It may well have ended up as goal of the season as its often replayed.

Ah, that game 

13 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Obvious answer but 13 year old me stood mouth agape in awe of Darren Huckerby tearing Cardiff to pieces.

That's exactly the one I was thinking of as I read the thread title. Especially as we all thought it may well be the last time we saw him in a Norwich shirt.

30 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Josh scoring against Watford (this season)…

B3A5CB72-CE3E-42DC-828A-BEAE0AAE7A7E.jpeg

“Bring me sunshine”

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Who is Big Vince? Some figure of ridicule?

What exactly is 'comedy gold?'

Is this concerned with matters NCFC, or is it just trite in-fighting?

My theory is that Delia Smith is BV.

Yes.

Your response.

Yes

Yes

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

My theory is that Delia Smith is BV.

Yes.

Your response.

Yes

Yes

God, you're thick.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Mine is off centre.

Thanks for provoking a happy memory Broadstairs!  I wasn't at that match but your post reminded me of a league match at Cambridge United when Martin O'Neill was outstanding.  I didn't remember him being that outstanding when he was at Forest (although he was a part of an outstanding team) but in my hazy memory he made the world of difference when he returned for his second stint with us.

Edited by Rottingdean canary

21 minutes ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Thanks for provoking a happy memory Broadstairs!  I wasn't at that match but your post reminded me of a league match at Cambridge United when Martin O'Neill was outstanding.  I didn't remember him being that outstanding when he was at Forest (although he was a part of an outstanding team) but in my hazy memory he made the world of difference when he returned for his second stint with us.

A league match at Cambridge? When would that of been 

Huckerby used to control most of the games he was involved in.. Wes was very similar.

One I remember was martin oniell 82/83 boxing day at Portman road . Him and Peter mendham controlled the game and was capped with a last minute winner from a 25 yard free kick.

Holt vs Ipswich. What a Hattrick that was.

Non Norwich - last season Jack Greaslish, finally realised what the hype was about. Jesus he can turn a game when he wants to. 

• Haha 1

Andy Marshall against Newcastle, 31st December 1994. Won 2-1. He saved everything except Ruel Fox's penalty. After that game we had 33 points from 22 games and were 7th, behind Spurs on goal difference., well above Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. And we still went down, getting only a further 10 points from 20 games, and beginning the wilderness years.

Just shows how brittle we have often been - our two recent PL outings are nothing new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raunds canary said:

A league match at Cambridge? When would that of been 

Just looked it up .  3rd April 1982 in the old Division 2 (second tier).  We won 2-1.  O'Neill had returned for his second stint with us In Feb 1982.  Just looked at our results for that season and there was a pretty remarkable about turn in our results from when he joined.

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Andy Marshall against Newcastle, 31st December 1994. Won 2-1. He saved everything except Ruel Fox's penalty. After that game we had 33 points from 22 games and were 7th, behind Spurs on goal difference., well above Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. And we still went down, getting only a further 10 points from 20 games, and beginning the wilderness years.

Just shows how brittle we have often been - our two recent PL outings are nothing new.

Marsh was superb that day but soon looked liked a rabbit in the headlines and Tracey was even worse. 

Memories if that season still make me shudder, we looked so poor towards the end but still went down on 43 points.

If only Gunny had stayed fit

Wes  at Wembley . 100 %  pass completion rate. Job done , subbed off ,G ONeill on to close the game out. Almost perfect performances by player and team.  Big game , small player, massive performance.  

• Like 1

I remember a game from 2006/07 at home to Sunderland where Dion Dublin played centre back and put in one of the best performances you'll see from a defender. Sunderland were one of the strongest sides in the league that season and I think they went up, but we won 1-0 despite a second half onslaught.

Also, from a similar era, Dean Ashton's hat trick against Southampton just before he left us was a phenomenal performance.

I wouldn’t say it was his best performance because he had so many, but Holt coming on at Anfield sticks in my memory for some reason. Came on changed the game, brilliant header for the goal, could have had another and ran round like a lunatic to see out the match. I think I just dream of such performances when watching us now which is why it came to me.

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

Just looked it up .  3rd April 1982 in the old Division 2 (second tier).  We won 2-1.  O'Neill had returned for his second stint with us In Feb 1982.  Just looked at our results for that season and there was a pretty remarkable about turn in our results from when he joined.

Oh yes I remember now . We went up on the last day of the season after losing at Sheffield Wednesday. Keith bertschin had scored to put us ahead . If I remember Gary bannister got the winner when a supporter was on the pitch in the penalty area..

• Like 2

Hux in his last game on loan before we signed him permanently. Clearly put a lot of heart into that performance and it forced the club to go and sign him

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

That really did show the difference one player could make. Bryan Gunn broke his leg on Dec 27th at forest . Andy Marshall came on and was at fault for thier winner direct from a corner. Then as you say Marshall had the game of his life against Newcastle but was probably too young for the pressure the rest of the season brought. Had we bought a decent experienced keeper in we would probably have stayed up.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Was behind the goal in the Barclay that day. All keepers have that game once in a lifetime, that was his, stunning performance.