Sign in to follow this  

It wont matter by then as half of them will be closed for business due to the lack of financial support anyway.

The really worrying aspect of this is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. If the UK became carbon neutral overnight it would reduce the world's carbon emissions by 1%.

Half of the world's carbon emissions come from 5 countries who nod their heads politely every time there is an international conference then go home and ignore it. 

On the plus side there will be a beach at Acle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pretty sure they've been saying that since the 80's and I'm still waiting for my garden to become a beach.. Any excuse to get the BBQ out I suppose

Oh dear. It was hardly mentioned at all in the 80's. I bought a house in Surlingham in the 90's and sold it around 2005 and on neither occasion was it mentioned by solicitors. Now the house is uninsurable and virtually unsaleable. By 2050 (if nothing changes) it will be gone. 

Yep, I remember attending school in the 80's early 90's and being informed that the south Coast will all be under water in 30 years! 

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we just got rid of all the whales in the oceans and seas the water level would drop and make Carrow Road safe.

The Japanese are trying their best.....

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The really worrying aspect of this is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. If the UK became carbon neutral overnight it would reduce the world's carbon emissions by 1%.

Half of the world's carbon emissions come from 5 countries who nod their heads politely every time there is an international conference then go home and ignore it. 

Humour is an understandable response to something this mind-blowingly big…

As is fatalism…

And what we can ‘do about it’ does depend on which ‘we’ we are talking about …

But the science shows that decarbonising IS do-able, and whilst getting a bigger price tag the longer we leave it - on any analysis is way cheaper than the subsequent costs of not doing it …

it’s in every country’s interests to do it …

What can ‘we’ do ? Well as a country we could take the current invasion of the Ukraine by Russia as a further invitation to move to a future energy system based on renewables and hydrogen rather than Russian gas, and as a club we could sign up to the ‘UN Sport for Climate Action Framework’

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we just got rid of all the whales in the oceans and seas the water level would drop and make Carrow Road safe.

Or maybe we could just get rid of Wales?? Might have the same effect....😉

(Only kidding, to those of a sensitive nature.....)

4 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Humour is an understandable response to something this mind-blowingly big…

As is fatalism…

And what we can ‘do about it’ does depend on which ‘we’ we are talking about …

But the science shows that decarbonising IS do-able, and whilst getting a bigger price tag the longer we leave it - on any analysis is way cheaper than the subsequent costs of not doing it …

it’s in every country’s interests to do it …

What can ‘we’ do ? Well as a country we could take the current invasion of the Ukraine by Russia as a further invitation to move to a future energy system based on renewables and hydrogen rather than Russian gas, and as a club we could sign up to the ‘UN Sport for Climate Action Framework’

There is a very funny film at the moment called Don't Look Up. It's about a group of scientists telling the world that a meteorite is going to hit Earth and destroy it. Everyone laughs, makes jokes and ignores them. Then they die. 

The End. 

I'd highly recommend it because it is a brilliant film. 

But sorry @Deptford Yellow I'm not being fatalistic, I'm being realistic. It's going to happen. The only thing that can possibly stop it is a huge scientific advance in carbon capture. 

The reason it's going to happen is that people  don't care because either they're old or stupid or both. In order to solve the problem we need a world organisation with ultimate power to change behaviour. This country couldn't even cope with being in the EU and the top 5 polluters are not the easiest people to deal with. 

What politics should have taught us in the last 10 years is that the population of the UK likes to be told what it wants to hear, not what it needs to be told. And preferably with a nice short slogan that they can remember. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan Edwards said:

So THAT is what the Everest thing is all about. Won’t get flooded if we play up there. 

Less the nest more the Eagle's Nest then?

It'll be fine with a bit of climate adaptation...build a permanent barrier at the mouth of the Wensum and let the Broads take the flooding...turn the drained riverbed into a low-level full pedestrian access through the city with plenty of greenspaces, bars and cafes and Bob's yer uncle football is safe and win-win-win. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Apples

2 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

It'll be fine with a bit of climate adaptation...build a permanent barrier at the mouth of the Wensum and let the Broads take the flooding...turn the drained riverbed into a low-level full pedestrian access through the city with plenty of greenspaces, bars and cafes and Bob's yer uncle football is safe and win-win-win. 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Apples

As the Broads are man made (created by a bloke called Pete Digging) the simple answer is to dig more Broads.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is a very funny film at the moment called Don't Look Up. It's about a group of scientists telling the world that a meteorite is going to hit Earth and destroy it. Everyone laughs, makes jokes and ignores them. Then they die. 

The End. 

I'd highly recommend it because it is a brilliant film. 

But sorry @Deptford Yellow I'm not being fatalistic, I'm being realistic. It's going to happen. The only thing that can possibly stop it is a huge scientific advance in carbon capture. 

The reason it's going to happen is that people  don't care because either they're old or stupid or both. In order to solve the problem we need a world organisation with ultimate power to change behaviour. This country couldn't even cope with being in the EU and the top 5 polluters are not the easiest people to deal with. 

What politics should have taught us in the last 10 years is that the population of the UK likes to be told what it wants to hear, not what it needs to be told. And preferably with a nice short slogan that they can remember. 

Yes, brilliant film.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Just like the old days 👍

6 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Enough drips in our midfield this Season, perhaps it’s started slowly.

And all them drinks bottles and spit

I'm safe on my hill in Sheff, but think even Bramall Lane would be under water.  Hillsborough already is most weeks.