Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

13 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Hugill is going out on loan by the way.

His poor effort was his swan song,  simply not up to what we need - only so far you can go as a good dressing room presence.   Good luck elsewhere JH. 

Ramsey and Elis both on loan seems a bit strange though. Suggests Rashica must be leaving. 

Doesn't sound as though Rowe and Springett will be in contention this season, which will surprise, and maybe disappoint a few. 

A €4 million profit for them for someone who has played 16 minutes since he became a permanent member of their club is pretty good going!

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

This looks like a certainty to me. Just back from a knee injury and has only played 15 minutes...🤩

He may be playing tonight and supposedly Galatasary might be interested.

To be serious, nine goals in 16 starts in Ligue 1 for a team getting relegated is pretty good going. The point about Rashica was that he had played a bit in the Bundesliga as a kind of wing-striker and so was meant to help our goal tally, but that just hasn't worked out, even so far down in the Championship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Seems there are articles in France linking us with a loan-to-buy for Honduran forward Alberth Elis.

Translate is a bit dodgy but it says Nantes are interested but would struggle to find the €10m euro asking price.

Seems a bit too random to not have some mileage, but with our striker situation you'd have to say its not a straightforward one. Sargent now pushing hard for the start, Pukki exists, Idah about to come back in (and really needing to be playing a lot more minutes at this stage in his career) and Hugill in the shape of his life but out in the cold. And that's before we even look at the attacking mids.

Blimey, South Ameica really is our hunting grround right now

And yes I know Honduras is technically Central America shh

Interesting on Elis, if true it can only mean further outgoings in my view.

Seems the right time then as we head into the last frantic week of the summer window to share the current EFL named squad position.  

image.thumb.png.e391910aec64f8fcd071e0d8b88ff686.png

Barden's position is still not formally resolved by the club, is he staying or is he out on loan, or being sold?

The speculation in the thread above implies Hugill and Rashica may well be off. If they do go, we have potentially 6 named spots available (the 3 calculated in the table above plus Barden, Hugill & Rashica). Plenty of scope I would suggest, even with budgetary constraints (salary savings from Hugill & Rashica) and despite what Smith says in his pressers, for a couple more incomings. Especially in defence given the current pressures we face, surely Omo's knock announced today must represent a wake up call?  Oh, and assuming Krul and Pukki remain of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Ramsey and Elis both on loan seems a bit strange though. Suggests Rashica must be leaving. 

Doesn't sound as though Rowe and Springett will be in contention this season, which will surprise, and maybe disappoint a few. 

If their opportunities were to be few and far between as I suspect I'd far rather they get out on loan and play regularly.

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rowe is injured so could still be needed at some point, Springett might be more likely to go out on loan.

Rashica and Hernandez aren't very good, Rowe and Springett realistically aren't near the 11 and Sinani and Cantwell aren't out and out wingers. Another winger is absolutely needed.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Rashica and Hernandez aren't very good, Rowe and Springett realistically aren't near the 11 and Sinani and Cantwell aren't out and out wingers. Another winger is absolutely needed.

Hernandez at this level, is very good. Can’t believe some fans still fail to see what he offers. 

Yes, he’s not very cultured, and won’t cut inside and smash one in the top corner from 25 yards, but the amount of chances he creates through his directness is absolutely the reason he’s seeing a lot of football at the minute, and will rightly continue to do so. 

Really pleased Smith has given him a chance. Sinani too. All too often a loan away for a senior player means the end of the road. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

Hernandez is good at some things which is why he's effective coming on against tired legs. Millwall handled him well starting from the beginning though.

We don't get close to top 2 this season if Onel is our starting winger. 

• Like 1

Elis also has a bunch of rumours circulating that Leeds and West Ham are possible destinations too. 

4 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Elis also has a bunch of rumours circulating that Leeds and West Ham are possible destinations too. 

Way to ruin the party Bonzo… 

😉

33 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Hernandez is good at some things which is why he's effective coming on against tired legs. Millwall handled him well starting from the beginning though.

We don't get close to top 2 this season if Onel is our starting winger. 

History is against you there. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

18/19 he was phenomenal, 8 goals and 10 assists. 20/21 not so much, no goals or assists in an injury affected season. I suspect his performance will be somewhere in between those 2 seasons this time around.

7 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

18/19 he was phenomenal, 8 goals and 10 assists. 20/21 not so much, no goals or assists in an injury affected season. I suspect his performance will be somewhere in between those 2 seasons this time around.

Your probably right. But if fit, no reason why 18/19 can’t be replicated. He’s showing it so far IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

We're a significantly different side to what we were during that first Farke promotion season and Hernandez is no longer in his prime.  I don't want to underrate the importance of Hernandez that year but his role was essentially to go out and cause chaos/uncertainty whereas a winger in Smith's 433 really needs to be putting out end product.

He's had a few pretty serious injuries and has failed to get close to his 18-19 numbers in any of his following seasons.

There's still a role for him to play here but that is not one of a regular starter. 

Had Pukki been fit I wonder if Onel would have started. I think we are going to see quite a lot of rotation. Keep everyone on their toes.

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Your probably right. But if fit, no reason why 18/19 can’t be replicated. He’s showing it so far IMO.

I really don't think he is. He's the definition of flatters to deceive so far this season.

His running causes chaos at times but his end product is just not there. Statistically he gives the ball away more than anyone this season and he creates less chances than most of our other attacking midfielders

We got the full Onel experience v Millwall- lots of running, lots of stepovers and then not very much. He was dispossed more than any other player and despite constantly getting into good positions only created one chance (by comparison Sinani created 6, Nunez 3 and Dowell 2). Whoscored rated him as our worst player from our starting XI, although I always take their rating with a large pinch of salt.

He has a role to play no doubt but I'm with the poster who said he's best used as a super sub to bring on v tired legs where his direct style can cause havoc. To be a starter though he needs to improve his end product drastically.

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This looks like a certainty to me. Just back from a knee injury and has only played 15 minutes...🤩

He may be playing tonight and supposedly Galatasary might be interested.

He came on tonight with 70 minutes gone, in a 0-0.

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Hernandez at this level, is very good. Can’t believe some fans still fail to see what he offers. 

Yes, he’s not very cultured, and won’t cut inside and smash one in the top corner from 25 yards, but the amount of chances he creates through his directness is absolutely the reason he’s seeing a lot of football at the minute, and will rightly continue to do so. 

Really pleased Smith has given him a chance. Sinani too. All too often a loan away for a senior player means the end of the road. 

Not just that, what he can do is carry the ball up the pitch, quickly.

Who cares if he loses the ball or puts in a poor delivery if he has got the ball 40yrd further forwards. Sometimes you have to play the percentages. He is not the sort of player you want to play against. He's robust, he turns sharply and he has a turn of pace. He'll have you running all night and every direction he can twist you in.

As others have said multiple times before. If he was any better, at delivering the ball into the box in the form of a cross or of scoring goals, he'd be at "Barcelona" as a certain Mr. Farke once said. He wasn't wrong. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, king canary said:

I really don't think he is. He's the definition of flatters to deceive so far this season.

His running causes chaos at times but his end product is just not there. Statistically he gives the ball away more than anyone this season and he creates less chances than most of our other attacking midfielders

We got the full Onel experience v Millwall- lots of running, lots of stepovers and then not very much. He was dispossed more than any other player and despite constantly getting into good positions only created one chance (by comparison Sinani created 6, Nunez 3 and Dowell 2). Whoscored rated him as our worst player from our starting XI, although I always take their rating with a large pinch of salt.

He has a role to play no doubt but I'm with the poster who said he's best used as a super sub to bring on v tired legs where his direct style can cause havoc. To be a starter though he needs to improve his end product drastically.

Chaos in the oppositions box is no bad thing. It disrupts defensive structure and makes space for others.

Agreed, his Millwall performance was average at best. But he was up against one of the most streetwise, organised and well drilled championship sides.

He’s an asset from the bench, but his attributes can also be effective from the first minute. 

17 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Chaos in the oppositions box is no bad thing. It disrupts defensive structure and makes space for others.

Agreed, his Millwall performance was average at best. But he was up against one of the most streetwise, organised and well drilled championship sides.

He’s an asset from the bench, but his attributes can also be effective from the first minute. 

I think its pretty obvious what Hernadez is good at with his directness and power. But he still has no end product either goals, crosses or assists and thats what he will be judged on ultimately. He remains a bench warmer for me and should be brought on at a later stage of a game, not a starter in my book.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chicken said:

Not just that, what he can do is carry the ball up the pitch, quickly.

Who cares if he loses the ball or puts in a poor delivery if he has got the ball 40yrd further forwards. Sometimes you have to play the percentages. He is not the sort of player you want to play against. He's robust, he turns sharply and he has a turn of pace. He'll have you running all night and every direction he can twist you in.

As others have said multiple times before. If he was any better, at delivering the ball into the box in the form of a cross or of scoring goals, he'd be at "Barcelona" as a certain Mr. Farke once said. He wasn't wrong. 

I think most people care if he loses the ball? Running 40 yards is all well and good but if you give it away every time it doesn't actually help score goals.

I think the point about if his end product was better he'd be out of our league is a bit of a fallacy. It isn't that people expect his end product to be perfect but at the moment it is pretty awful. It is interesting to me to look at the amount of chances Sinani has created for instance vs Onel- Sinani has been on the pitch for about 40 more minutes total yet has created twice as many chances as Hernandez and I don't think anyone is claiming he's off to Barca.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think most people care if he loses the ball? Running 40 yards is all well and good but if you give it away every time it doesn't actually help score goals.

I think the point about if his end product was better he'd be out of our league is a bit of a fallacy. It isn't that people expect his end product to be perfect but at the moment it is pretty awful. It is interesting to me to look at the amount of chances Sinani has created for instance vs Onel- Sinani has been on the pitch for about 40 more minutes total yet has created twice as many chances as Hernandez and I don't think anyone is claiming he's off to Barca.

I know what you mean, it is always more complex.  Ideally you do not want him to give the ball away but if he has no other options and he carries the ball 40 yards that can be useful, yet I think the real value comes from the risk of the fast breakaway.  To protect against his pace defences to take a deeper line, which then gives our neat and tidy players more space to operate in, critically higher up the pitch.

it was obvious how deep Millwall defended in the first half, I thought Onel’s threat was part of that.  Cantwell, Dowell, and Sinani are quite similiar, 

Perhaps explains why we are sniffing around for another winger.

Edited by Newtopia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

I think its pretty obvious what Hernadez is good at with his directness and power. But he still has no end product either goals, crosses or assists and thats what he will be judged on ultimately. He remains a bench warmer for me and should be brought on at a later stage of a game, not a starter in my book.

Will he? By statisticians, sure. But sometimes a players impact can’t be captured easily by stats.

The fact he gets us on the front foot, drives us into opposition territory, and constantly worries defenders which leads to mistakes, creates the foundation for opportunities and assists. 

He’s a great impact player from the bench, but there are also teams and scenarios where he can be effective from the start. That’s my view anyway.

I think Dean Smith sees it that way too, but Farke perhaps preferred a more controlled style with clear end product - which probably aligns with your view. 

In any case, I think we all agree we’re happy to  have him in the squad  this season. And that was probably not the view at the start of pre-season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Will he? By statisticians, sure. But sometimes a players impact can’t be captured easily by stats.

The fact he gets us on the front foot, drives us into opposition territory, and constantly worries defenders which leads to mistakes, creates the foundation for opportunities and assists. 

He’s a great impact player from the bench, but there are also teams and scenarios where he can be effective from the start. That’s my view anyway.

I think Dean Smith sees it that way too, but Farke perhaps preferred a more controlled style with clear end product - which probably aligns with your view. 

In any case, I think we all agree we’re happy to  have him in the squad  this season. And that was probably not the view at the start of pre-season. 

You've said it yourself. He is a good impact player from the bench. I think its pretty obvious what Hernadez offers us as you rightly point out and what he is lacking. Lets also remember he is only really playing as we have failed to recruit in that role properly, as he really still shouldnt be starting.

I dont think anyone would question his desire to play for Norwich which always make him so popular with many and when compared to Rashica who looks completely disinterested, you can understand why he is starting currently.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I've been a big critics of Onel's end product however, against Huddersfield off the bench he got to the byline on several occasions and put in good cutbacks everytime - the sort Pukki would thrive on. Of course, we had Hugill on at the time but my overall point is it was the first time i've seen him put 3 or 4 consecutively good balls in. Hopefully he can continue on that trend when he does play. I don't think he should start too many games, mind.

• Like 1