Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

5 minutes ago, TESCO said:

That Watford game showed Sargent to be an actual decent footballer. Despite my profile picture (🤭) I actually think he was one of our better players at the end of his season before he got injured and for most of the season in general. He is going to be important this season. 

He’s the new Alex Norman and nobody wanted that. 

51 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

You can put a skinny kid with a good touch in the gym you can’t put a meat head from the gym on the right wing and expect him to be ronaldo. Sadly Sargent is the latter 50p boot 

Possibly the worst analogy Ive ever heard. But I get your point (sort of)

31 minutes ago, TESCO said:

That Watford game showed Sargent to be an actual decent footballer. Despite my profile picture (🤭) I actually think he was one of our better players at the end of his season before he got injured and for most of the season in general. He is going to be important this season. 

Exactly this.Poor as Watford were last season even with the squad they played against us that team would be good enough for top six in the championship and sargent tore them apart. If he can keep fit and plays his best I have no doubt he's going to prove a lot of people wrong

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Exactly this.Poor as Watford were last season even with the squad they played against us that team would be good enough for top six in the championship and sargent tore them apart. If he can keep fit and plays his best I have no doubt he's going to prove a lot of people wrong

You have to remember why - officially at least - he was bought and that was to perform in the EPL. Therefore it is not about proving people wrong as they have already been proved right. 

The EPL was clearly beyond him and has left Webber with egg on his face because if he was good enough for The Championship he should have been bought now and not 12 months ago. 

I wish for all concerned he performs - not least because he may rise in value from what now is a token amount. 

Edited by komakino
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

For me it was the Southampton game where he came on at half time and locked the right side of the pitch down. Carried the ball up the field constantly whilst providing an outlet with his physicality.

He obviously needs to work on being more composed in the final third but he is still young enough. He'll be playing in a team (hopefully) on the front foot in a non top 5 league for the first time so he should have plenty of time to work on it.

The header at Watford of course is something I think we should be looking to make a weapon of ours. With Gianoullis and Rashica on the wing we can certainly stick a nice ball in to that far post header.

For me Sargent arguably isn't a natural goal scorer, but he's only 22 and he's big and strong.

I think you've highlighted the key point, which is that he's looked best playing wide right in a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, which are the formations Dean Smith is looking to going forward.

Whilst I doubt we're going to start playing Pulis-ball, I think we're going to copy a trick of having big strong strikers run the channels in a 4-5-1 instead of conventional wingers, especially if we get back to the Premiership.

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

You have to remember why - officially at least - he was bought and that was to perform in the EPL. Therefore it is not about proving people wrong as they have already been proved right. 

The EPL was clearly beyond him and has left Webber with egg on his face because if he was good enough for The Championship he should have been bought now and not 12 months ago. 

I wish for all concerned he performs - not least because he may rise in value from what now is a token amount. 

The EPL survival was clearly beyond the squad that was assembled whoever was responsible. A total shambles and embarrassing attempt 🤦 last season. 

Just now, Mengo said:

The EPL survival was clearly beyond the squad that was assembled whoever was responsible. A total shambles and embarrassing attempt 🤦 last season. 

We move on or clearly not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't think he's very good, but to call him a "meat head from the gym" is a very strange thing to say. 

I don’t mean sarg is a meat head i was just making an example of people turning athletes into footballers rather than the other way around. We will never produce another Gaza while football recruiting is purely based around physical traits 

Going back to Josh Martin, he might be one we shouldnt overlook. His stats for a poor Doncaster team arent dissimilar to that of Twine who recently signed for Burnley. This is of course is quite impressive given how poor Doncaster were last season.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2022 at 09:28, horsefly said:

Nope! I'm reflecting the obvious fact that, sans the appearance of a beneficent billionaire, the current club policy remains our best option. I object to your idea because it involves us promoting players to the first team that the manager and coaching staff don't consider to be ready to occupy those places. That in turn would likely lead to more years spent in the Championship (something you yourself said you are happy with), which in turn means a dramatic decrease in finances, which in turn means a dramatic decrease in our transfer budget, which in turn means that any players we did develop to potential PL level would have to be sold off to keep the club financially viable. How that plan is supposed to increase the likelihood of us producing a competitive PL squad God only knows. I want NCFC to be as successful as possible, thus I prefer realism to pure fantasy, that's why I have an opinion.

You should calm yourself down a little, no need for all this vitriol.   I come on here to voice an opinion about my club which I am entitled to do.   Whether you agree or not, no need for these responses.   How well I explain that is one thing, don’t think I am too inarticulate and usually try to explain my points with good reasoning and in the main most people have ‘liked’ what I have to say over many years now.  I am an experienced and qualified coach and played to a reasonable level so have a fair understanding of the game and its intricacies.       

I have already explained with evidence you taking my statements out of context.    So last week in response to your interpretation of my point about bringing new players through, I said ‘I'm not and never advocated removing every single first team player or putting ones in that can't cope but you also don't know until they get a chance.  We have Clarke, Gibbs and Sorensen and a chance to bring others in’  yet as recent as Sunday you continue to fundamentally argue against my point saying  .... I object to your idea because it involves us promoting players to the first team that the manager and coaching staff don't consider to be ready to occupy those places. NO IT DOESN’T!    That in turn would likely lead to….. etc… which is clearly not what I am suggesting.    It doesn’t matter what you say from there as its flawed…. You’re arguing and trying to ridicule my point (pure fantasy!!!) based on the fact you continue to embellish what I’ve written in the first place… and you’ve clearly got the hump with me!       The only thing it seems we are clear on is we want NCFC to be successful. 

I believe based on what we have right now, my approach would likely reap long-term rewards much sooner than an immediate promotion where I can only see that going one way; that is another abject failing, embarrassment, fan disaffection with the club and at that point I expect things to get very messy. 

So just to be clear, I would use the quality in our squad, those that can cope with a promotion which is about 10 / 11 players max., get rid of what we can this window which is not likely to be much but at best have them as backup subs, ideally bring in two or three new players and bring through the lads that are ready for an opportunity in favour of McLean, Dowell, Zimmermann, Platcheta, Gibson, Sargent etc.. and that should have us reasonably competitive enabling the young players / new lads the best framework to take their chance.   If we don’t have any ready to go (I expect we have a few incl. Rowe, Springett) then we need to start bringing in some players that can take over from those mentioned.    If we can’t do that, how on earth are we going to develop a team to cope in the EPL in any event?    On a promotion (and I don’t think we have the team for that this time) we would need to replace about 15 players to be competitive….. and no one, not even you can explain how we do that.    Our scouting of recent times hardly suggests recruitment will be perfect even if we did have the likely £200m we would need to bridge the gap.     My suggestion isn’t fantasy, its patience, its consolidation, its speculating to accumulate.   You crave the EPL millions to build the team.   We didn't build anything last year and we have no money to show for it now, where is your evidence that we'll do any better next year.

You are entitled to your own opinion and time will tell.

I object to you, for objecting to him, for objecting to your view point.

There I have said it.

36 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

We will never produce another Gaza while football recruiting is purely based around physical traits 

You need to get up to date, I am afraid. The whole academy system in England is based on recruiting kids who are likely to develop the physical traits and then teaching them how to play. The game has changed, that is just the way it is now.

31 minutes ago, BigFish said:

You need to get up to date, I am afraid. The whole academy system in England is based on recruiting kids who are likely to develop the physical traits and then teaching them how to play. The game has changed, that is just the way it is now.

If you're right, I find this very depressing. It means there will never be an English Xavi or Iniesta or Messi because we're weeding out kids based on criteria such as height and muscle rather than ball skills.

Since the PL has tended to be dominant in Europe for the last 5-10 years, it may seem that this tactic is working, but the dominance of the PL is largely based on importing foreign players who grew up in different regimes from the English one, basically because of all the money in the PL.

And things will probably get worse, since Brexit will make it even harder for exchange of styles and ideas and personnel other than at the elite level.

37 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I didn't know that. There was a story a few weeks back about how Man City missed out on Haaland when he was 15 or 16, turning down the chance to sign him, because they thought he was only standing out at that age because of his physical power and that in a few years' time that advantage would fall away.

I think that most academies pick up kids by at least when they are 9 or 10.  At that point who knows how they will continue to develop physically? It is not like the old days when there might be a streaming of players, and those deemed too small were eased out of the system.  I think all are retained until at least 16 or 17, its just at that point they may be eased out based on physicality.  And if we seriously looked at what Norwich have done in bringing in kids from other academies Norwich have been guilty of bringing a lot of kids in who were let go from Arsenal etc. because they were of this nature. 

We were on the ball enough to bring in Godfrey, more recently Idah, Omo and Tomkinson, but I still think it fair to argue we have brought in too many youngsters disposed of by their host clubs for being too slight no matter their technical ability. The CDM position in particular has been a difficult one to fill. So I can see why Big Fish states what he does, but I don't think at under 16 level there has been a significant shift - I think at 16 plus however there certainly has.

3 hours ago, komakino said:

He’s the new Alex Norman and nobody wanted that. 

Alex Notman? If so I don't your point.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I didn't know that. There was a story a few weeks back about how Man City missed out on Haaland when he was 15 or 16, turning down the chance to sign him, because they thought he was only standing out at that age because of his physical power and that in a few years' time that advantage would fall away.

I Do know Norwich signed a 13/14 year old CB once and when he was scouted he was Tall ,strong fast and very good footballer  they asked who is dad was and were very happy when behind the goal stood my mate  a massive strong muscular athlete standing at around 6ft1 not a bit of fat on him anywhere !!! 

city thought if this boy turns into his dad and can play as well he would be a perfect CB

that boy got one of the highest rated scouting reports from Watts higher than Craig Bellamy ,

Lasted two years at city no longer plays the game 

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

You should calm yourself down a little, no need for all this vitriol.   I come on here to voice an opinion about my club which I am entitled to do.   Whether you agree or not, no need for these responses.   How well I explain that is one thing, don’t think I am too inarticulate and usually try to explain my points with good reasoning and in the main most people have ‘liked’ what I have to say over many years now.  I am an experienced and qualified coach and played to a reasonable level so have a fair understanding of the game and its intricacies.       

I have already explained with evidence you taking my statements out of context.    So last week in response to your interpretation of my point about bringing new players through, I said ‘I'm not and never advocated removing every single first team player or putting ones in that can't cope but you also don't know until they get a chance.  We have Clarke, Gibbs and Sorensen and a chance to bring others in’  yet as recent as Sunday you continue to fundamentally argue against my point saying  .... I object to your idea because it involves us promoting players to the first team that the manager and coaching staff don't consider to be ready to occupy those places. NO IT DOESN’T!    That in turn would likely lead to….. etc… which is clearly not what I am suggesting.    It doesn’t matter what you say from there as its flawed…. You’re arguing and trying to ridicule my point (pure fantasy!!!) based on the fact you continue to embellish what I’ve written in the first place… and you’ve clearly got the hump with me!       The only thing it seems we are clear on is we want NCFC to be successful. 

I believe based on what we have right now, my approach would likely reap long-term rewards much sooner than an immediate promotion where I can only see that going one way; that is another abject failing, embarrassment, fan disaffection with the club and at that point I expect things to get very messy. 

So just to be clear, I would use the quality in our squad, those that can cope with a promotion which is about 10 / 11 players max., get rid of what we can this window which is not likely to be much but at best have them as backup subs, ideally bring in two or three new players and bring through the lads that are ready for an opportunity in favour of McLean, Dowell, Zimmermann, Platcheta, Gibson, Sargent etc.. and that should have us reasonably competitive enabling the young players / new lads the best framework to take their chance.   If we don’t have any ready to go (I expect we have a few incl. Rowe, Springett) then we need to start bringing in some players that can take over from those mentioned.    If we can’t do that, how on earth are we going to develop a team to cope in the EPL in any event?    On a promotion (and I don’t think we have the team for that this time) we would need to replace about 15 players to be competitive….. and no one, not even you can explain how we do that.    Our scouting of recent times hardly suggests recruitment will be perfect even if we did have the likely £200m we would need to bridge the gap.     My suggestion isn’t fantasy, its patience, its consolidation, its speculating to accumulate.   You crave the EPL millions to build the team.   We didn't build anything last year and we have no money to show for it now, where is your evidence that we'll do any better next year.

You are entitled to your own opinion and time will tell.

So  nothing in your answer that explains why we should think it wise to bring players into the team that the manager doesn't consider good enough to earn a place on merit. Nothing in your answer to explain why it would make sense to risk a radical reduction in our income while we languish in the Championship. No mention of how we could then consolidate such a team of developed talent when we would be forced  to sell off any genuine PL quality player to compensate for our declining budget. No mention of how your speculative team of developed talent would be more likely to be competitive in the PL despite none of the players having any PL experience. No mention of how we might bolster such a team with PL proven players given that we would have declined to a far more parlous financial situation because of extra time spent "consolidating" in the Championship.

I don't need to provide evidence that we will do any better next year because I wasn't foolish enough to make such a claim. All I have said is that I believe the club are right to pursue their current well thought out approach because it represents our best chance of success (as small as that chance might be) given our financial reality. My objection to your suggestion is that it represents an extremely dangerous speculation that we could improve our chances by languishing in the Championship, and somehow magic a team a team out of our development squads that would be more PL capable despite the players having no experience of that league. 

It's fine for you to express your opinion, but it is equally fine for me to express my opinion of your opinion. Neither of us are responsible for the real reason why NCFC finds itself caught in a limbo between the Championship and PL. That reason is the rotten financial sewer that represents the current structure of the PL. It is extraordinarily difficult for any club working on a self-funding model to compete against those that have massive budgets provided by various dodgy financiers.

So in a spirit of comradeship let me apologise for any terse terminology I might have used. I do accept that you are genuinely trying to think out of the box about how we might address our current designation as a "yo-yo" club. However I do maintain that such a plan would more likely see us become the next Ipswich rather than move us forward, for the reasons I have stated. For me, the reality is that, until we find ourselves a genuine source of big money that doesn't threaten the security of the club, the current model represents our best chance of success. That might not represent the sort of slim chance that many of us are happy with, however, I suggest we all look at the other EFL clubs in the country and consider how many of those would gladly swap places.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

You can put a skinny kid with a good touch in the gym you can’t put a meat head from the gym on the right wing and expect him to be ronaldo. Sadly Sargent is the latter 50p boot 

Met him. Not a neat head on the slightest. Very affable and switched on chap. Has room to improve for sure but I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of physicality in top flight football as an attribute in its own right. Sargeant chases and harries very well and could add more to his game with training for sure 

On 02/07/2022 at 10:24, Monty13 said:

Pinkun reporting he’s an AM?

At 20 and with nothing but Icelandic Football experience can’t necessarily see him being a target for a first team starter.

Final 1st leg score.

boa9ERmC-nHeAfgfM.png
Malmo FF (Swe)
QsV2lrBN-zeVnAOaf.png
Vikingur Reykjavik (Ice)

Just scored and then got sent off.

Matches

EUROPEChampions League - Qualification

boa9ERmC-nHeAfgfM.png
Malmo FF (Swe)
QsV2lrBN-zeVnAOaf.png
Vikingur Reykjavik (Ice)

39'

The rules are clear, two yellow cards are followed by a red. Kristall Mani Ingason (Vikingur Reykjavik) must hit the showers early today.
38'
1 - 1
Kristall Mani Ingason (Vikingur Reykjavik) receives a killer pass, finds himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper and drills the ball into the bottom right corner. Magnificent finish!
Edited by Mengo

10 hours ago, horsefly said:

I'm curious to know why you don't see him as a natural goal-scorer. At every other level he has played, he has proved to be precisely that. In the FA cup game against Preston his hattrick was very much a goal-scorer's performance. It is certainly true that he hasn't sustained a run of first team games (mostly because of injury, and Pukki's presence as a single striker) for us to gauge whether he can step up and repeat his previous scoring feats at senior level. However, there is surely enough evidence to think it a credible punt to rely on him as one of the back-up strikers. The alternative is to splash £15m on a back-up at Pukki's level (which ain't going to happen), on the assumption that the club stands a chance of persuading such a player to play second fiddle in the first place (can't see that happening either). I'm happy to admit that I'm not very aware of what our opponents boast in terms of a main and back-up striker, but I suspect there won't be many that are considered better than our Pukki/Idah option.

Looking at stats can always be miss leading. 13 games for Ireland with 0 goals and 46  for us with 4 goals makes him look like a poor player but he does offer so much more. The thing is as a player I really rate him and think he will have a big future. The stats do not show his all round play that I feel is strong, also a lot in his defence were as a sub.  Here comes the but 🙂. You see the players who have a natural goalscoring ability. They might not offer a lot to the rest of the game but they just know where that net is. Pukki has that ability. Are they different players,yes. Is that Idahs fault, no. With a fit Pukki you are looking 20 plus goals minimum. I just can't see anyone else coming close. With no Pukki we will be many goals short in my opinion. We are at a point where we all know Pukki is with us for one more season, hopefully. We need to have a replacement in the building for me and I just don't see idah despite his good stuff being that. He reminds me of Heskey and that is a compliment. Great player to play with but I just don't see us hitting the number of goals needed without a natural goal scoring partner. Idah for me is a very good player in a front pair but will need someone around him to feed off him. If Pukki gets injuries who can take on that role? I hope Pukki doesn't have any injuries, I hope Idah gets 20 goals I really do but from what i have seen he is not that player. He does offer a lot more. 

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Looking at stats can always be miss leading. 13 games for Ireland with 0 goals and 46  for us with 4 goals makes him look like a poor player but he does offer so much more. The thing is as a player I really rate him and think he will have a big future. The stats do not show his all round play that I feel is strong, also a lot in his defence were as a sub.  Here comes the but 🙂. You see the players who have a natural goalscoring ability. They might not offer a lot to the rest of the game but they just know where that net is. Pukki has that ability. Are they different players,yes. Is that Idahs fault, no. With a fit Pukki you are looking 20 plus goals minimum. I just can't see anyone else coming close. With no Pukki we will be many goals short in my opinion. We are at a point where we all know Pukki is with us for one more season, hopefully. We need to have a replacement in the building for me and I just don't see idah despite his good stuff being that. He reminds me of Heskey and that is a compliment. Great player to play with but I just don't see us hitting the number of goals needed without a natural goal scoring partner. Idah for me is a very good player in a front pair but will need someone around him to feed off him. If Pukki gets injuries who can take on that role? I hope Pukki doesn't have any injuries, I hope Idah gets 20 goals I really do but from what i have seen he is not that player. He does offer a lot more. 

You raise a number of very relevant points, and are certainly right that stats can be misleading. For example, the current ROI team is not a patch on more recent squads, so not necessarily a surprise that Idah has not made much of such poor service. 

All I wish to add is that Idah is still only 21 years-old, so there is plenty of development potential that might be realised. If we don't give someone of his genuine promise the chance to be the main back-up to Pukki then I begin to wonder what the point is of having a category 1 academy. There is always a risk a player may become injured, but I doubt there is a single club in the Championship that has a striker of Pukki's quality backed up by a substitute striker of near identical quality.

I can't see a genuine Pukki replacement costing less than £15m+, and I can't see a genuine Pukki replacement being willing to come to NCFC while we're in the Championship anyway. Get promoted and the chances of getting such a replacement increase massively. So rather than take a punt on a much cheaper back-up I would rather spend what money we have improving the first 11.

3 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Met him. Not a neat head on the slightest. Very affable and switched on chap. Has room to improve for sure but I wouldn’t underestimate the importance of physicality in top flight football as an attribute in its own right. Sargeant chases and harries very well and could add more to his game with training for sure 

I did not mean Sargent was a meat head just used a poor analogy. If the only criteria we are looking for is someone to run about a bit we could of got that for a lot less than 8 million! I do wonder what the scouting department saw in him he’s very one footed, has very poor close control and can’t even score in an open goal. 

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I did not mean Sargent was a meat head just used a poor analogy. If the only criteria we are looking for is someone to run about a bit we could of got that for a lot less than 8 million! I do wonder what the scouting department saw in him he’s very one footed, has very poor close control and can’t even score in an open goal. 

Yes, that Brighton howler was genuinely a big moment last season in my opinion. Came at a time when we were not being rewarded for some promise shown and a draw would’ve been a win and who knows what that may have led to. Brighton at the time we’re flying pretty high too, so would’ve been a good boost. That said, the season overall didn’t lie. I still have hopes for Josh. Price tags are strange things for me, the £8 million in hindsight does feel poor value for money, but a good championship season could easily shift this up. I think partly being a club in and around the premier league means that whilst wr can’t afford the £15-20 million outlay in one player, if one of our £8-10 million players comes good even at championship level they’ll get their money back. That’s why I feel the club seem keen to offload Tzolis early as I don’t think they see this being his year again so would rather limit losses and get rid now as presumably they don’t see him gaining value even in tier 2. 

7 hours ago, Mengo said:

foi uma merda. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

You raise a number of very relevant points, and are certainly right that stats can be misleading. For example, the current ROI team is not a patch on more recent squads, so not necessarily a surprise that Idah has not made much of such poor service. 

All I wish to add is that Idah is still only 21 years-old, so there is plenty of development potential that might be realised. If we don't give someone of his genuine promise the chance to be the main back-up to Pukki then I begin to wonder what the point is of having a category 1 academy. There is always a risk a player may become injured, but I doubt there is a single club in the Championship that has a striker of Pukki's quality backed up by a substitute striker of near identical quality.

I can't see a genuine Pukki replacement costing less than £15m+, and I can't see a genuine Pukki replacement being willing to come to NCFC while we're in the Championship anyway. Get promoted and the chances of getting such a replacement increase massively. So rather than take a punt on a much cheaper back-up I would rather spend what money we have improving the first 11.

I think we agree on more than we both realise 🙂 

I want to see Pukki and Idah starting together as I really think that could work. It looked like Smith agreed from West ham up to Idah getting injured. 

We can all have different views of a player and I am happy if I have this one wrong but from what I have seen with my eyes I don't see Idah getting enough goals to be a back up to Pukki. In an ideal world you have 2 players for every position. Sergeant and Huggil could cover for Idah up front being the big man menace but obviously no where near as good. Given this one of them could move to the right wing as it looks like that's where sergeant will be. By the way he is a player I do not think should be playing anywhere near this level but that's another story. For Pukki we have no one. I know we can't get anyone ready to take Pukki's place but we must be able to get a more fox in the box, of the shoulder player as understudy. Someone more in the style of. That way if Pukki gets injured we don't have to change the whole way we play. Also if they did come good then we are ready for life without one of the best strikers to wear the shirt. If we go up Pukki could well stay, but he will be 33. Either we start playing a style that doesn't need a Pukki or we start planning for a future with a player who could or could not be as good but plays in the same style. 

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

foi uma merda. 

Obrigado, você dá uma resposta impecável👌👏

11 hours ago, Mengo said:
Final 1st leg score.

boa9ERmC-nHeAfgfM.png
Malmo FF (Swe)
QsV2lrBN-zeVnAOaf.png
Vikingur Reykjavik (Ice)

Just scored and then got sent off.

Matches

EUROPEChampions League - Qualification

boa9ERmC-nHeAfgfM.png
Malmo FF (Swe)
QsV2lrBN-zeVnAOaf.png
Vikingur Reykjavik (Ice)

39'

The rules are clear, two yellow cards are followed by a red. Kristall Mani Ingason (Vikingur Reykjavik) must hit the showers early today.
38'
1 - 1
Kristall Mani Ingason (Vikingur Reykjavik) receives a killer pass, finds himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper and drills the ball into the bottom right corner. Magnificent finish!

Just noticed Olsonn scoring for Malmo and Toivonen who always seemed to be linked to us 😂

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Just noticed Olsonn scoring for Malmo and Toivonen who always seemed to be linked to us 😂

It's written in the 🌟 🌟🌟🌟🌟🤫