Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The biggest issue for me that while yes a lot of our players are championship proven a lot of them have also got us relegated from the prem twice. We really gonna trust them to get us up and keep us up for a third time?

Beacause that sounds silly to me. There is a lot of deadwood in this squad that needs moving on

So where do we get the money from to buy an EPL quality player?

We need to get promoted first and then hope the US investment has gained traction.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The biggest issue for me that while yes a lot of our players are championship proven a lot of them have also got us relegated from the prem twice. We really gonna trust them to get us up and keep us up for a third time?

Beacause that sounds silly to me. There is a lot of deadwood in this squad that needs moving on

That's a fair point, though keeping up is not a priority with the current board. 

Promotion is also far from certain and as last season, I can't see where the goals are coming from - Pukki aside - if he's still here. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So who do you suggest we can buy who would get us up and keep us up?

58 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If we do go up there will be a whole other transfer window to add players to try and keep us up.

I agree it would be good to move a few more on but as people keep saying, you can't sell what nobody wants to buy. The **** falling out of the transfer market outside of the top flight hinders us as convincing teams to give us money for players like Onel, Placheta, Cantwell etc is tough. 

I wonder how badly Covid / the pandemic whacked the hell out of the transfer market for Championship clubs or lower? 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

If the window were to slam shut today and we go with what we have including Krul, Hanley, Aarons, Rashica, Giannoulis and Pukki, who have all been rumoured as leaving, I'd be quite relieved.

If we don't have money to spend and no one wants to buy our players, there isn't an awful lot we can do tbh.

Completely agree keeping players at this stage is just as important.

Signing Hayden should plug the hole left by Normann leaving.
Let's face it, we don't need to replace Gilmour... 
Kabak didn't really show enough to warrant replacing anyway, and with Omobomadiele coming back we have 4 decent Championship CBs in Gibson, Hanley, Omobomadiele and Zimmerman, plus Byram looked decent there as well, and we have Lungi Sorensen.

The only position I would say we could do with making progress with is a RM/RW as we've not replaced Emi on that side and all our other wingers are predominantly left sided (Rashica, Cantwell, Hernandez, Rashica, Placheta, Tzolis), although having said that we have Sinani who looked decent coming back from Huddersfield, plus Springett and Rowe to potentially blood next season if we feel they are up to it

1 hour ago, komakino said:

That's a fair point, though keeping up is not a priority with the current board. 

You would imagine that's the whole point of the potential American investment, to try and keep up next time. 

Not us but I see Forest have signed dean Henderson on loan from man united, very good signing in my opinion, was a big reason Sheffield united stayed up and will probably keep Forest up this year too.

Henderson has poor distribution and was the reason ManUre have let him go again.  If Florist don't play out from the back then he'll be okay.

On 01/07/2022 at 10:39, king canary said:

If we do go up there will be a whole other transfer window to add players to try and keep us up.

I agree it would be good to move a few more on but as people keep saying, you can't sell what nobody wants to buy. The **** falling out of the transfer market outside of the top flight hinders us as convincing teams to give us money for players like Onel, Placheta, Cantwell etc is tough. 

With our funds, even if we were very lucky with the signings, it still wouldn't be enough to make this group competitive, the gap being so wide at the minute, what really is the point of promotion unless we develop some better players.... for starters, those we can't get rid of and not good enough should be used sparingly as back up and give the younger lads and Sorensen a chance alongside the few capable players we already have... e.g. Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Omo, Aarons, Lees-Melou, Hayden, Rashica, Pukki, Idah, hopefully Cantwell

Our squad is incredibly strong for the Championship, even if we lose a couple. I very much hope that any further incomings will be of the Hayden type i.e. PL experienced. We have freed up enough wages to afford a couple and I would expect at least another half a dozen to go out on loan.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No thanks, BTEC Pukki and Idah is better anyways. Sounds like nonsense.

He's 20. I suspect it would be a signing for the youth team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Our squad is incredibly strong for the Championship, even if we lose a couple. I very much hope that any further incomings will be of the Hayden type i.e. PL experienced. We have freed up enough wages to afford a couple and I would expect at least another half a dozen to go out on loan.

I think that's a bit premature to say we have an 'incredibly' strong squad. That is a big assumption relying on 2 main factors:

1. Webber's Magic Beans are very good in the second tier. 

2. Players that have performed before are motivated and/or still good enough to get promoted again. 

If both of the above are true then we have a very good chance, if not, who knows where we will end up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Found by Bethnal Yellow and Green - once of this parish - is a rumour linking us to an Icelandic striker

https://fotbolti.net/news/01-07-2022/norwich-hefur-ahuga-a-kristal-mana

Pinkun reporting he’s an AM?

At 20 and with nothing but Icelandic Football experience can’t necessarily see him being a target for a first team starter.

The Icelandic League isn't even professional, so as others have said, a 20-year-old from there wouldn't be with the first team in mind. I'd imagine it would be a Sinani-esque punt: loan him to the Netherlands or Belgium for a year in the hope he develops and gets a work permit in the future.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

With our funds, even if we were very lucky with the signings, it still wouldn't be enough to make this group competitive, the gap being so wide at the minute, what really is the point of promotion unless we develop some better players.... for starters, those we can't get rid of and not good enough should be used sparingly as back up and give the younger lads and Sorensen a chance alongside the few capable players we already have... e.g. Krul, Gunn, Hanley, Omo, Aarons, Lees-Melou, Hayden, Rashica, Pukki, Idah, hopefully Cantwell

Ged, I may have misunderstood, but that’s *11* “capable” players you’ve listed there? That’s a whole first team. Ok, two keepers, but hardly a “few”.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You'd literally never heard of him until this post, be honest.... 😜

• Haha 1

On 01/07/2022 at 09:39, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would say the "dead wood" are those players that are not championship proven, or who are approaching/past 30 and perhaps suited the older Farke approach a bit better.

Rupp going probably fits that sort of thing. Certainly a decent player, especially at championship level, injuries aside. Wrong side of 30, need to reduce our numbers, not just so we can add players, but also so the coaching can be focused on the players we want.

Again, highlight the most obvious outs:
- Zimmermann; I am a great fan of Zimmermann. He might not be our best defender anymore, but he certainly gives everything and is certainly decent at Championship level. If you needed to make space at the back for a new CB and you had to lose a player on paper, he would be the one I think most people would suggest. I wouldn't call him "dead wood" as such, as like Klose, I think he could go to another Championship club and deliver.
- Placheta: Left footed left winger last seen operating on the right wing... Still a fair bit of a debate about exactly how good he is, or could be. And that, for the majority, is enough of a reason to suggest he is back of the queue and perhaps shouldn't stand in the way of a Springett or a Rowe. Hard to disagree with that.
- Hernandez: at 29/30, is a very capable championship player, no doubt of that. But again, his age means he probably needs to be one of our top three wingers or he's a bit of squad bloat we can probably not afford to have around just in case. In fairness, both he and Placheta were to be loaned out last season, Placheta caught covid and so couldn't be.
- Hugill: Again, 30, which means he is in his peak but coming towards the end of it (if subscribing to the 26/27-30/31 peak age range). Again, capable championship operator even if his goals tally says solid but unspectacular. If we were to bring in another striker, you would think that Idah and Sargent would fill the void left by Hugill in terms of height and both are much quicker on their feet. A new striker could better those two and Hugill. I just don't see him as head and shoulders above either, though I have been made to eat my words before now.

I guess squad "bloat" is probably more accurate a term. There are a lot of decisions to be made about fringe players. Some who have been involved in the squad, like Onel, and some who haven't before like Sinani. 

I can only see one position we really need to strengthen. Striker. Even if Pukki stays we are then only one injury away from being toothless. He is the only finisher we have. Getting an understudy will be hard as who wants to be second choice but essential. 

On 01/07/2022 at 09:37, Ulfotto said:

For make it’s worth a Leeds fan told me we were in for Helder Costa. Haven’t see it on the internet anywhere……..

Would seem the sort of player we might go for if we ship out a few of our current wide players.

I heard the same

17 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I can only see one position we really need to strengthen. Striker. Even if Pukki stays we are then only one injury away from being toothless. He is the only finisher we have. Getting an understudy will be hard as who wants to be second choice but essential. 

You've summed up the difficulty there: someone good enough to fill in for Pukki will be far too good to accept sitting on the bench most of the time. Unless we plan on going with two up top, which I doubt, it's an impossible job. 

For this reason, the two positions I'd try to fill are right winger and the central/attacking midfielder, which we know is the priority target. Hopefully between Rashica and these two players, we'd have enough goals to cover a short Pukki absence anyway, if we sign the right players.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On the contrary it sounds like a very 'us' kind of signing, but as others have said it is hard to see us getting a work permit for him.

I see Birmingham have just sacked Bowyer. Does that likely derail Placheta going there on loan?