Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

6 minutes ago, JPukks said:

I see Man City have just signed Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht he has played as a LWB wonder if they would loan him for a season to get him used to English football?

If that's their plan, he'll go to Kompany's Burnley 

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yep quasi feeder club how many Man City players do they have on loan already?

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

One Advantage of having a Big named ex player as Manager 

38 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The initial plan was actually to buy him and send to him to Girona on loan for the season, before changing their mind and deciding to keep him. If they decide to loan him out, they'll likely send to him Girona; it would make little sense for him to go to Burnley because they already have Maatsen on loan from Chelsea at left back.

41 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

One.

10 hours ago, Newtopia said:

The EPL is great but are plenty of non English teams who have done the same, Deportivo la Corunna, Villarreal, Alaves, etc and sadly the cash in a English game has removed the genuine element of competition.  The days of any team can beat any other are well behind us.

At least the cash in the English game is relatively more spread out than La Liga where it’s basically the top 2 who get all the money. 

The Financial fair play rules are a joke as it basically keeps the poor poor and the rich rich. 

5 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

At least the cash in the English game is relatively more spread out than La Liga where it’s basically the top 2 who get all the money. 

The Financial fair play rules are a joke as it basically keeps the poor poor and the rich rich. 

Is this the same La Liga where Barcelona and Madrid are heavily in debt and have struggled to make the same sort of signings they have in the past? Barcelona finishing 2nd and 4pts from finishing 4th?

There are maybe 2-3 teams with genuine aspirations to win the premier league, as in, who would see themselves as evens to challenge for it. Man City, Liverpool and one other. The one other depends upon the season as it isn't constant, usually it is Chelsea or Spurs though that could be scuppered by an Arsenal resurgence, or an amazing slum reversal by Man Utd.

In fairness though, how many of those have genuinely been close to winning a title in recent seasons? 

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Is this the same La Liga where Barcelona and Madrid are heavily in debt and have struggled to make the same sort of signings they have in the past? Barcelona finishing 2nd and 4pts from finishing 4th?

There are maybe 2-3 teams with genuine aspirations to win the premier league, as in, who would see themselves as evens to challenge for it. Man City, Liverpool and one other. The one other depends upon the season as it isn't constant, usually it is Chelsea or Spurs though that could be scuppered by an Arsenal resurgence, or an amazing slum reversal by Man Utd.

In fairness though, how many of those have genuinely been close to winning a title in recent seasons? 

I think the teams you mentioned are capable of winning the league they’ve just suffered with years of miss management. There are probably 8 teams or more who have the wealth to be able to win the league with the right investment and management for example Newcastle now they are backed by Saudi. 

la liga allow clubs to negation their tv rights individually so effectively Barca and Real take 90% of the tv income where ours is spread through the league also making it a more attractive opportunity for investors. The reason they are in trouble financially is simply miss management again. Barca sold a portion of their tv rights to a company they part owned and claimed it to be income when it was really just them giving themselves their own money which is one of the reasons they are in trouble 

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Daniel Farke after Max Aarons 👀

I'd be shocked if they have the money.

I see the pinkun has said we've rejected loan bids which makes sense. There is no benefit to us in loaning him out.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be shocked if they have the money.

I see the pinkun has said we've rejected loan bids which makes sense. There is no benefit to us in loaning him out.

I think even if we were tempted with a big obligation to buy, that chance has now gone with Byram still not being fully ready, and 3 left backs being out injured.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think even if we were tempted with a big obligation to buy, that chance has now gone with Byram still not being fully ready, and 3 left backs being out injured.

I'm just not sure I see any of the clubs linked having the money to guarantee us the kind of fee we'd want, especially for a right back. Monza for example have never spent more than £5m on a player.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'm just not sure I see any of the clubs linked having the money to guarantee us the kind of fee we'd want, especially for a right back. Monza for example have never spent more than £5m on a player.

Monza are being bankrolled by Silvio Berlusconi; they're one of the richest sides in Italy at the moment. They've signed Pessina, Caprari and Petagna on loan with obligations to buy if they survive this season (which they surely will), and those deals will all cost €10-15m.

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Monza are being bankrolled by Silvio Berlusconi; they're one of the richest sides in Italy at the moment. They've signed Pessina, Caprari and Petagna on loan with obligations to buy if they survive this season (which they surely will), and those deals will all cost €10-15m.

Ah interesting, didn't know that.

Inclined to agree with King C, this season Aarons is statistically one of our most influential players and we've 2 weeks of transfer window left, with a fullback crisis to boot. 

I imagine we would want at least a Godfrey level fee, and probably the majority up front. Can't see anyone coming to play at those levels.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Inclined to agree with King C, this season Aarons is statistically one of our most influential players and we've 2 weeks of transfer window left, with a fullback crisis to boot. 

I imagine we would want at least a Godfrey level fee, and probably the majority up front. Can't see anyone coming to play at those levels.

I have only watched the Huddersfield game, but based on that alone he is crucial to the way we want to play, and could not just be replaced with any competent right-back. He also seemed to have a good understanding developing with Sinani.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I have only watched the Huddersfield game, but based on that alone he is crucial to the way we want to play, and could not just be replaced with any competent right-back. He also seemed to have a good understanding developing with Sinani.

As well as the good ol' eye test, I was scrolling through the stats for the thread on passing and iirc Max was-

Most passes, most accurate passes, 3rd for key passes, most tackles attempted + successful (6/6) and most dribbles attempted + completed 

Nothing groundbreaking but demonstrates how much of our play goes through him.

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I posted after the match that he was excellent. Back to his best. I did wonder cynically whether he was playing out of his skin because of potential suitors watching. Though I  accepted too that if those thoughts had any particular prescience, that if anyone deserved a great move then Max did. He has been very loyal. And he is the best RB I believe I've seen at the club. 

Daniel Farke I recall stated Max was a "proper footballer". A rare kind of statement from him when giving Max his debut but he has been an ever-present. 

Unreplaceable? Definitely. Not many players of his ability and attitude come along very regularly. But we would have to find someone competent. Full backs have become so important in the modern game (showing my age now).

48 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I posted after the match that he was excellent. Back to his best. I did wonder cynically whether he was playing out of his skin because of potential suitors watching. Though I  accepted too that if those thoughts had any particular prescience, that if anyone deserved a great move then Max did. He has been very loyal. And he is the best RB I believe I've seen at the club. 

Daniel Farke I recall stated Max was a "proper footballer". A rare kind of statement from him when giving Max his debut but he has been an ever-present. 

Unreplaceable? Definitely. Not many players of his ability and attitude come along very regularly. But we would have to find someone competent. Full backs have become so important in the modern game (showing my age now).

Don’t disagree per se, he’s definitely been good for us, but this is still the same Max Aarons who has been replaced by Byram as first choice at various points.

We’ve thought Max will leave quite a number of windows running and it will happen at some point - you’d have to expect that a) it’s on our terms at least to a fair extent (ie not just a season loan without an agreed fee) and b) we have a plan in place.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Don’t disagree per se, he’s definitely been good for us, but this is still the same Max Aarons who has been replaced by Byram as first choice at various points.

We’ve thought Max will leave quite a number of windows running and it will happen at some point - you’d have to expect that a) it’s on our terms at least to a fair extent (ie not just a season loan without an agreed fee) and b) we have a plan in place.  

Was he? I can remember Byram ousting Lewis on the left but not so much Aarons (unless he was injured which he very rarely is).

Byram is a great player but doesn't have the same attacking instincts as Aarons imo. Max has been our best player so far this season. I would be gutted to see him leave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That just shows it is perfectly possible for a medium-sized club to find an investor about whom there are absolutely no financial, ethical or moral qualms...😎

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think allowing Bali to go on loan effectively confirmed we were intending on keeping Aarons. Would be mad to let him go now unless it was for an astronomical fee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I think allowing Bali to go on loan effectively confirmed we were intending on keeping Aarons. Would be mad to let him go now unless it was for an astronomical fee

And even if it was, I almost certainly rule out automatic promotion. It's really a no brainer unless money in the bank is the priority, which it shouldn't be.

I'd be less gutted we sold Todd as this very late stage tbh.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 11:53, AJ said:

Unless we had a replacement already identified - which was said at one point. Whether it is too late on now for us to allow that to happen is another question.

Seems there are articles in France linking us with a loan-to-buy for Honduran forward Alberth Elis.

Translate is a bit dodgy but it says Nantes are interested but would struggle to find the €10m euro asking price.

Seems a bit too random to not have some mileage, but with our striker situation you'd have to say its not a straightforward one. Sargent now pushing hard for the start, Pukki exists, Idah about to come back in (and really needing to be playing a lot more minutes at this stage in his career) and Hugill in the shape of his life but out in the cold. And that's before we even look at the attacking mids.

Edited by Mason 47

11 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Seems there are articles in France linking us with a loan-to-buy for Honduran forward Alberth Elis.

Translate is a bit dodgy but it says Nantes are interested but would struggle to find the €10m euro asking price.

Seems a bit too random to not have some mileage, but with our striker situation you'd have to say its not a straightforward one. Sargent now pushing hard for the start, Pukki exists, Idah about to come back in (and really needing to be playing a lot more minutes at this stage in his career) and Hugill in the shape of his life but out in the cold. And that's before we even look at the attacking mids.

This looks like a certainty to me. Just back from a knee injury and has only played 15 minutes...🤩

He may be playing tonight and supposedly Galatasary might be interested.

• Haha 3