Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

16 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Have just seen rumours that Manure are considering signing Aarons

Really? Where? All I've seen is a regurgitated story on SSN saying Aarons may be the answer to their RB problem. Nowhere has it said Manure considering signing him

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Scotland and Holland are miles behind. The French League is easily on par with Germany. Or did you just forget about the PSG squad? Germany is essentially a one team league with Bayern same as France is with PSG is argue the 3 under PSG in France are probably a stronger 3 than the 3 in Germany. 

Spain and Italy have quality leagues on par with England. The difference is in England we have 6-10 debatably massive clubs who with the right manager and investment could win the league in Spain you have 3 and in Italy maybe 5 

Do we?  Man City or Liverpool will win the title this year, been the same for years.  We have become a farmer 🚜 league, the same teams at the top all the time, other teams could join in, but no more than Valencia or Servilla could in Spain.

7 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Really? Where? All I've seen is a regurgitated story on SSN saying Aarons may be the answer to their RB problem. Nowhere has it said Manure considering signing him

Sorry mate - you’re right. I didn’t read it properly

I hope he doesn’t go. As it stands we’re already looking like we may need to sign a full back on loan this season 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haus said:

According to Instagram, we have another signing to be announced tomorrow 

All I can see is a third kit announcement 

13 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

All I can see is a third kit announcement 

Yeah my bad, thought it meant 3rd signing.... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Scotland and Holland are miles behind. The French League is easily on par with Germany. Or did you just forget about the PSG squad? Germany is essentially a one team league with Bayern same as France is with PSG is argue the 3 under PSG in France are probably a stronger 3 than the 3 in Germany. 

Spain and Italy have quality leagues on par with England. The difference is in England we have 6-10 debatably massive clubs who with the right manager and investment could win the league in Spain you have 3 and in Italy maybe 5 

Did you bother to read the article linked by @king canary? Internationally, those are the leagues seen as the best in the world. There aren't others seen as better outside of Europe. There have been some that "try".

The German league has more than "Bayern Munich" too. Borussia Dortmund, for example... who are clearly so awful people keep poaching their coaches and players and yet they still put out decent sides. Then you have teams like Schalke, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg and now RB Leipzig. Decent sides. 

France isn't bad either, more than just a one team league so to speak. PSG certainly don't get it their own way, and just because they have tons of cash, doesn't make them great. Marseille, Nice and others like Monaco who have been better historically. It's a weaker league in general as there is more of a drop off in quality if you ask me. I don't see their depth in quality in the league that Germany has. You can point at PSG, but they really are the only club in their league that has that sort of spending power. The rest of the teams have much less spending power.

The champions league is often a fair indicator. Fifa ranked them like this:
image.thumb.png.fe6c5ba84d3090ab26a385a6aecde3fb.png

Rinsing a desperate Man Utd for an extortionate fee for Max would be wonderful but we literally don’t have the backups to allow that right now surely? Could try Onel there. Could go 3 at back for a little bit. But would be very risky. 

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Have just seen rumours that Manure are considering signing Aarons

Wonder if we could do a px of Aarons for Williams +cash.

id definitely be up for that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rock bus said:

That would be great, but doubt Williams would want to drop down to the Championship. Wonder if he/United would consider a season-long loan with an option to buy if we're promoted, as we did with Dimi and Gibbo last time round.

Williams wages would prevent that, and his enthusiasm to forrest gumpt masked his limited defending and passing ability.  No thanks 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

Do we?  Man City or Liverpool will win the title this year, been the same for years.  We have become a farmer 🚜 league, the same teams at the top all the time, other teams could join in, but no more than Valencia or Servilla could in Spain.

There is a difference between able to win it now and having the potential to win it. By my count we hand 12 teams currently in the prem who’ve reached at least a European quarter final in the last 15 years and 7 of which have been in European finals not including Middlesbrough who aren’t in the prem but made the uefa cup final under Southgate 

43 minutes ago, chicken said:

Did you bother to read the article linked by @king canary? Internationally, those are the leagues seen as the best in the world. There aren't others seen as better outside of Europe. There have been some that "try".

The German league has more than "Bayern Munich" too. Borussia Dortmund, for example... who are clearly so awful people keep poaching their coaches and players and yet they still put out decent sides. Then you have teams like Schalke, Hoffenheim, Wolfsburg and now RB Leipzig. Decent sides. 

France isn't bad either, more than just a one team league so to speak. PSG certainly don't get it their own way, and just because they have tons of cash, doesn't make them great. Marseille, Nice and others like Monaco who have been better historically. It's a weaker league in general as there is more of a drop off in quality if you ask me. I don't see their depth in quality in the league that Germany has. You can point at PSG, but they really are the only club in their league that has that sort of spending power. The rest of the teams have much less spending power.

The champions league is often a fair indicator. Fifa ranked them like this:
image.thumb.png.fe6c5ba84d3090ab26a385a6aecde3fb.png

To be fair no I didn’t read the article as was skimming when on break at work 

41 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I'd rather keep Aarons at all costs tbh at this late stage. We saw last week how hugely important he is to us attacking wise. 

4 hours ago, rock bus said:

Wouldn’t say no to that, but would we be able to afford Williams’ wages though - apparently he’s supposed to be on £65k at Old Trafford

49 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Wouldn’t say no to that, but would we be able to afford Williams’ wages though - apparently he’s supposed to be on £65k at Old Trafford

Id bet my bullocks to a barn dance he is not on 65k a week

Edited by mastoola

3 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Id bet my bullocks to a barn dance he is not on 65k a week

Made 21 appearances for United. Imagine his wage wouldn't be far off.

9 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

What’s his contract position though?

If it’s in final year, he might be willing to accept less for a longer deal and where he will have first team football and the chance to the move back to a top premier league team. I thought it appeared he didn’t have a future at Man U so he may need to think a bit longer term

MA has arguably looked our best player so far. He is far too good for the championship, but I also dont think he is good enough even for a rubbish Man U team.

16 hours ago, rock bus said:

Why would we replace a right back with a left back?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why would we replace a right back with a left back?

I think you will find he's actually a natural right back who is capable of playing left back  (a bit like Byram).

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I think you will find he's actually a natural right back who is capable of playing left back  (a bit like Byram).

No I won't.

He's right footed sure but he's on record saying he's much more comfortable at left back.

Also transfermarkt data suggests he's played 37 of his 43 top flight appearances at left back. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

No I won't.

He's right footed sure but he's on record saying he's much more comfortable at left back.

Also transfermarkt data suggests he's played 37 of his 43 top flight appearances at left back. 

United used to list him as a right back. I suspect he filled in at left back and found himself perfectly comfortable there. Either way, as a right footer it would be bizarre if he couldn't play right back, and I would be stunned if he refused to play in that position.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

United used to list him as a right back. I suspect he filled in at left back and found himself perfectly comfortable there. Either way, as a right footer it would be bizarre if he couldn't play right back, and I would be stunned if he refused to play in that position.

Yeah I'm sure he wouldn't refuse but if I'm spending good money on replacing our first choice right back I'd want to replace him with someone who feels comfortable at right back, rather than someone who doesn't feel like they are the best fit for the position.

Here are his quotes just for the record.

On his favourite position, Williams added: "I get asked it all the time, it's so frustrating! Even the players here. I got asked yesterday. I've been here four months and you're only just asking me? Bali Mumba, we were doing crossing on the left. He was like; 'Do you prefer the left'? Yes.

"There is a massive difference. I feel comfortable on the left. On the right, I feel I'm limited in the stuff I can do. On the left, yeah, I might not have the top cross into the box that a left-footer has, but I have stuff they can't do. I like to use that, coming inside, playing one-twos. And my left foot is not bad, I can still use it."

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I'm sure he wouldn't refuse but if I'm spending good money on replacing our first choice right back I'd want to replace him with someone who feels comfortable at right back, rather than someone who doesn't feel like they are the best fit for the position.

Here are his quotes just for the record.

On his favourite position, Williams added: "I get asked it all the time, it's so frustrating! Even the players here. I got asked yesterday. I've been here four months and you're only just asking me? Bali Mumba, we were doing crossing on the left. He was like; 'Do you prefer the left'? Yes.

"There is a massive difference. I feel comfortable on the left. On the right, I feel I'm limited in the stuff I can do. On the left, yeah, I might not have the top cross into the box that a left-footer has, but I have stuff they can't do. I like to use that, coming inside, playing one-twos. And my left foot is not bad, I can still use it."

All a bit academic as the chances of him coming here anyway must approach zero. The fact he gets "frustrated" about being asked why a natural right-footer would also prefer to play left back suggests Williams is doing his best to close off his opportunities. The vast majority of teams will want their left back to be a natural left-footer for the obvious reasons (I can see why United want to get rid).

3 games in and we've already lost our 2 left backs long term

Remember saying pnly a couple of weeks ago it was madness to allow defenders to go including Mumba. The only posotion we had a surplus of playing were wingers.

Other saying that we wouldnt get an injury crises but with 2 games a week and 20 games between now and the world cup , we needed a bigger squad this season if anything.

Any chance Brandan Williams on loan??

3 hours ago, rock bus said:

What’s his contract position though?

If it’s in final year, he might be willing to accept less for a longer deal and where he will have first team football and the chance to the move back to a top premier league team. I thought it appeared he didn’t have a future at Man U so he may need to think a bit longer term

2 years left.

On 11/08/2022 at 19:07, By Hook or Ian crook said:

There is a difference between able to win it now and having the potential to win it. By my count we hand 12 teams currently in the prem who’ve reached at least a European quarter final in the last 15 years and 7 of which have been in European finals not including Middlesbrough who aren’t in the prem but made the uefa cup final under Southgate 

The EPL is great but are plenty of non English teams who have done the same, Deportivo la Corunna, Villarreal, Alaves, etc and sadly the cash in a English game has removed the genuine element of competition.  The days of any team can beat any other are well behind us.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I see Matias Normann has gone to Lecce on loan

That was some news I wasn't expecting to wake up to! 

As several on here know, I'm a former season ticket holder and regular watcher of Lecce, and was actually at the match against Inter on Saturday (one of the most gutting football matches I've ever been to, but nice to see a team with balls and fight for a change).

Lecce have a pretty short squad in central midfield right now so Normann will play: hopefully we'll see the September-November Normann and not the February-May one.

• Like 1

I see Man City have just signed Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht he has played as a LWB wonder if they would loan him for a season to get him used to English football?