Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

So Chelsea have just paid £62m for Cucurella. Who is not even Brighton's best full back, let alone their best player. Leicester have rejected £60m for Fofana - that bid is almost £20m more than the Newcastle bid for Maddison. Forest have spent £93m so far but will still probably get relegated. The world has truly gone mad, and there are still 3 weeks of this ridiculous window to go.

So all in all I quite like Nunez for £3m and Hayden on a free.

29 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So Chelsea have just paid £62m for Cucurella. Who is not even Brighton's best full back, let alone their best player. Leicester have rejected £60m for Fofana - that bid is almost £20m more than the Newcastle bid for Maddison. Forest have spent £93m so far but will still probably get relegated. The world has truly gone mad, and there are still 3 weeks of this ridiculous window to go.

Hayden free? 

38 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Forest just had a bid rejected for £25m + £10m in add ons for Morgan Gibbs-White. Crazy money for a guy with less than 2 years remaining on his deal, is refusing to sign another and has only ever really impressed in the Championship (although I'd take him here in a heart beat, even if we're in the Premier League). 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Once the Americans come in Im sure we can afford to pay him the £400,000 a week wages he would want..😉

Did I see he had just signed for Nice? 

Nice to see him, to see him.... 

Sorry I'll leave. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Did I see he had just signed for Nice? 

Nice to see him, to see him.... 

Sorry I'll leave. 

Oh Good game TY, Good game! 

• Haha 1

It's a bit interesting if we are, backs up Smith's statement that there will be some ins and some outs.

We're getting into regular player territory now. We were told a wider attacking player was on the list too. Does this mean that Ramsay is seen as an option for one of the two wider AM/Wing positions?

Interesting if so. Hernandez and Sinani seem the most obvious choices to be trimmed next. Possibly Cantwell if an offer has come in and he is still not wanting to sign a new contract. 

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Hayden is a loan, mate! Probs paid a loan fee too 

Hayden isn't on a free. I'm sure the loan fee and contribution to his wages didn't take account he won't play any part whatsover until September at the earliest either.

I'm trying to make sense of why we didn't get anyone in last January transfer window bearing in mind gow much Sara us eventually going to cost us.

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"as long as the right conditons are met'

Hopefully not being injured is one of them.

32 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hayden is a loan, mate! Probs paid a loan fee too 

26 minutes ago, wr4sb said:

With an obligation to buy wasn't it?

Apologies - you're both right of course, but the point still stands alongside the stupidity of the current transfer fees. To which I will add that Wolves have rejected a £25m Forest bid for Gibbs-White,  a player with 13 EPL appearances to his name. We won't be paying a lot for Hayden even if all the stars align.

4 hours ago, Bovril said:

For a second there, I saw the tags in the URL and got very excited we were signing Jacob Ramsey on loan.

A bit like thinking you're signing Jude Bellingham and ending up with his younger brother. Not to say the younger brothers in both examples are no good. 

Please accept my apologies. You obviously know more about Aston Villa than me. 

On the plus side he played for England U19's so he must have something about him 🤞

56 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Please accept my apologies. You obviously know more about Aston Villa than me. 

On the plus side he played for England U19's so he must have something about him 🤞

No apologises needed 👍 Villa fans seem to rate him, let's hope he comes good.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

Swings and roundabouts though- pre Brexit I don't think we could have signed Sara or Nunez.

Absolutely nothing in the regulations would have stopped us buying those two pre-Brexit. Whether we would have still bought them had we been able to buy Gojak is another matter. Also worth remembering that under the Brexit regulations we would not have been able to buy Buendia.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Absolutely nothing in the regulations would have stopped us buying those two pre-Brexit. Whether we would have still bought them had we been able to buy Gojak is another matter. Also worth remembering that under the Brexit regulations we would not have been able to buy Buendia.

That is not correct.

Previously work permit rules for non-EU countries were an awful lot stricter and based much more around appearances for your country, now they are much more focused on the strength of the league you've been playing in. 

Sara certainly wouldn't have got a work permit pre Brexit, Nunez I'm less sure on as he's appeared for Chile on a few occasions.

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

Swings and roundabouts though- pre Brexit I don't think we could have signed Sara or Nunez.

Lots of things that make this far from a straight forward issue.

First of all, we could sign players from 26 countries in the EU with freedom of movement, plus a few other nations that have freedom of movement as well through a negotiated package without being a bonified EU member state.

Currently, we have absolutely no such benefit to take advantage of. Additionally, European leagues are generally considered to be of a higher standard. As we have seen with a lot of our signings in recent years, reserve teams or 2nd and even 3rd tier teams have provided us with some real gems to build a team with. Those are not pretty much untouchable due to the rules.

So we have no real choice, the club has to assess which areas are now the best to recruit from to meet the demands of the English game and to have the required level of quality to match.

In reality, as horsefly says, pre these new regulations, it was probably easier to get a player in than it is now, hence we are scouring for fringe international players, or players that have just broken into their national team squads and have played in friendlies etc to be able to get the required points.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Lots of things that make this far from a straight forward issue.

First of all, we could sign players from 26 countries in the EU with freedom of movement, plus a few other nations that have freedom of movement as well through a negotiated package without being a bonified EU member state.

Currently, we have absolutely no such benefit to take advantage of. Additionally, European leagues are generally considered to be of a higher standard. As we have seen with a lot of our signings in recent years, reserve teams or 2nd and even 3rd tier teams have provided us with some real gems to build a team with. Those are not pretty much untouchable due to the rules.

So we have no real choice, the club has to assess which areas are now the best to recruit from to meet the demands of the English game and to have the required level of quality to match.

In reality, as horsefly says, pre these new regulations, it was probably easier to get a player in than it is now, hence we are scouring for fringe international players, or players that have just broken into their national team squads and have played in friendlies etc to be able to get the required points.

It changes where you need to scout- hence the sudden focus on South America and less on Eastern Europe or Scandinavia. I think when it is considered in its entirety it is more of a negative than a positive for sure, especially when looking at players from the lower divisions of big countries. 

I disagree a bit about European leagues generally being of a higher standard though. I think you get more talent coming out of the Brazilian or Argentinian Leagues than you do Denmark or Norway for example. So it is both a challenge and an opportunity. 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is not correct.

Previously work permit rules for non-EU countries were an awful lot stricter and based much more around appearances for your country, now they are much more focused on the strength of the league you've been playing in. 

Sara certainly wouldn't have got a work permit pre Brexit, Nunez I'm less sure on as he's appeared for Chile on a few occasions.

I think they were at leased on par, but not "easier". I think there was more flexibility in appeal processes. I also think it's worth looking at whether these were genuinely EU enforced or UK. I say that because if you look at the number of players in Europe who are brought into the big teams at a young age and brought through the ranks. Buendia is a good example, but players like Neymar, Ronaldinho and others were brought over to the continent etc as youngsters if not younger players, before they were internationals too.

Reality is though, they were riskier markets for us. And still are. If we have signed two good players from South America I think a fair bit of praise is deserved. 

Just now, chicken said:

I think they were at leased on par, but not "easier". I think there was more flexibility in appeal processes. I also think it's worth looking at whether these were genuinely EU enforced or UK. I say that because if you look at the number of players in Europe who are brought into the big teams at a young age and brought through the ranks. Buendia is a good example, but players like Neymar, Ronaldinho and others were brought over to the continent etc as youngsters if not younger players, before they were internationals too.

Reality is though, they were riskier markets for us. And still are. If we have signed two good players from South America I think a fair bit of praise is deserved. 

To be clear I'm not saying it was EU enforced- it was always a UK specific rule that players from South America needed work permits for example. This isn't me claiming this is one of the mystical 'brexit benefits!' JRM and co keep banging on about. 

It is Brexit though that caused the FA to have to reconsider and reshape their rules. 

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

It changes where you need to scout- hence the sudden focus on South America and less on Eastern Europe or Scandinavia. I think when it is considered in its entirety it is more of a negative than a positive for sure, especially when looking at players from the lower divisions of big countries. 

I disagree a bit about European leagues generally being of a higher standard though. I think you get more talent coming out of the Brazilian or Argentinian Leagues than you do Denmark or Norway for example. So it is both a challenge and an opportunity. 

This is a bit of an odd position to take. You are comparing two of South America's arguably top divisions Vs two of Europe's lesser rated leagues. Honestly, that's a ridiculous statement.

The top leagues in the world are in Europe. England, Germany, Italy, Spain - the best four top flight leagues in the world. France, Scotland and Holland are not far behind. The 2nd tier in most of those nations is also of a very good standard. Then you have outlying leagues that also produce a lot of good players. There are plenty of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish players out there in the top European leagues.

I don't think it's an unfair statement at all, and probably reflective of the amount of money in football in Europe. But to try and disagree by comparing those leagues?

Edited by chicken
  • Haha 1

Just now, chicken said:

This is a bit of an odd position to take. You are comparing two of South America's arguably top divisions Vs two of Europe's lesser rated leagues. Honestly, that's a ridiculous statement.

The top leagues in the world are in Europe. England, Germany, Italy, Spain - the best for top flight leagues in the world. France, Scotland and Holland are not far behind. The 2nd tier in most of those nations is also of a very good standard. Then you have outlying leagues that also produce a lot of good players. There are plenty of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish players out there in the top European leagues.

I don't think it's an unfair statement at all, and probably reflective of the amount of money in football in Europe. But to try and disagree by comparing those leagues?

The reason I highlighted those two is that is where the new work permit rules allow us to sign players from with much greater ease.

I know what the best leagues in the world are but that isn't relevant to a conversation about the post Brexit work permit rules as those are basically unchanged.