Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

Hopefully can get a few more signings in before the month end, another couple of good players could transform our team with Sara and Hayden yet to come in

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Hopefully can get a few more signings in before the month end, another couple of good players could transform our team with Sara and Hayden yet to come in

Still praying we get a new centreback in even if it's a loan we are another red card or injury away from serious defesive issues

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still praying we get a new centreback in even if it's a loan we are another red card or injury away from serious defesive issues

Depends how highly we rate Tomkinson and how happy we are to have Sorensen as a backup CB I presume.

• Like 1

If there’s anything in the Akouokou rumour then that could make Sorenson more likely to drop back into the back 4 (or3 on occasion). Otherwise, with injuries etc,  there’s always a danger that you end up with a utility player like Sorenson suddenly being needed in 2 or 3 positions for the same game. 
Somehow the Akouokou rumour doesn’t ring very likely, but it would be reassuring to start hearing some rumours on other targets - the squad definitely needs a bit of reinforcing, and equally important, some refreshing.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It is an area we have become worrying light on again, unless they think Tomkinson is good enough

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think Lungi may be kept around regardless as a utility player across multiple positions. He doesn't seem massively fussed about if he's a regular starter or not.

when did he gain this little nickname the legend grows when he doesnt play

you are right he is good cover

At centre-half it's Gibson, Hanley, Omobamidele and Tomkinson, with presumably Byram and Sörensen earmarked as "can do a job" if needed. At the time of typing Hanley's suspended, Gibson and Byram are injured. In other words, the three most experienced - but three out is pretty unlucky. 

I'd only consider a new centre-half if he's an improvement on Hanley tbh and ideally is comfortable with their left foot. Omo needs games, and moreover, looks like he's going to be good enough to be our main one very quickly. We know Gibson lacks a bit of pace here and there but is a left-pegger.

Another defensive midfielder makes more sense as then Sörensen becomes an excellent utility option on the bench, or may even change position in the future.

• Like 1

Nunez confirmed. I’m trying to post it on as many threads as possible to frustrate Cambridge. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

At centre-half it's Gibson, Hanley, Omobamidele and Tomkinson, with presumably Byram and Sörensen earmarked as "can do a job" if needed. At the time of typing Hanley's suspended, Gibson and Byram are injured. In other words, the three most experienced - but three out is pretty unlucky. 

I'd only consider a new centre-half if he's an improvement on Hanley tbh and ideally is comfortable with their left foot. Omo needs games, and moreover, looks like he's going to be good enough to be our main one very quickly. We know Gibson lacks a bit of pace here and there but is a left-pegger.

Another defensive midfielder makes more sense as then Sörensen becomes an excellent utility option on the bench, or may even change position in the future.

The bench selection has even greater importance now you can pick 5 from 7, or more realistically 5 from 6 outfield players. Sorensen can cover the entire back 4 as well as midfield so you could do GK, Sorensen, MID, Winger x 2, FW x 2 for when we want to ultra attacking.

Any more news on the Brazilian trail players?? I know its more of a long term option but i havent read anymore about it...

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Annnnd another one of Burnleys bites the dust and this time one of the biggest ones, phew

He’ll only need to change the sponsor’s name on his shirt.

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2022 at 21:02, Pegz said:

Any more news on the Brazilian trail players?? I know its more of a long term option but i havent read anymore about it...

Is the Brazilian trail anywhere near a mountain?

On 02/08/2022 at 18:25, TheGunnShow said:

Correction to Gibson and Byram - at time of writing both were said to be back in training from Monday, so they were on the comeback trail. We don't know how far away from playing they are in terms of fitness, though we know Byram has been out for longer. Hopefully we'll find out more tomorrow. 

Must say, with our refusal to enter the market in January, I expected 3 or 4 early additions in the summer window to gel through preseason and be ready for the first game. 

I wonder if Sara or Nunez were primary targets. Hayden clearly was, but of little use untill mid sept at the earliest. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

38 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Must say, with our refusal to enter the market in January, I expected 3 or 4 early additions in the summer window to gel through preseason and be ready for the first game. 

I wonder if Sara or Nunez were primary targets. Hayden clearly was, but of little use untill mid sept at the earliest. 

I think there is a good chance that we anticipated being able to do more business, but with none of Aarons/Cantwell/Tzolis/Rashica leaving we found ourselves having to focus on the key areas.

It's ominously quiet on the transfer front (unless you are Notts Forest, are there no players there we could nab, considering they're traying to sign player No.13), and imo I's be surprised if any of our "asset" players go.

Partly because none of them have really put themselves in the shop window, and partly because few would be willing to fork out probably what we're asking  

Hopefully we might see one or two new additions before window closes. Didn't they say when PLM went we were after a central midfielder and attacking one, and we've since got Nunez? 

On 02/08/2022 at 10:03, TheGunnShow said:

Think you're right though. Lungi must be a manager's dream in many ways, he's just the perfect quiet team player who doesn't kick up a fuss and tries his best where he's told to play.

Though I agree with you Gunnso, what a sad indictment of what we subconsciously think of other players, if Lungi is an exception.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Though I agree with you Gunnso, what a sad indictment of what we subconsciously think of other players, if Lungi is an exception.

To be fair, Corky, there's room for many different kinds of players and I wouldn't necessarily say Lungi's an exception. There are probably a few "Lungis" in every team, it's just ultra-clear with our Lungi as he stepped in for so long out of position and did a very decent job indeed of it. But a team of them, at least in terms of temperament, is far too quiet.

When I ran a five-a-side team with my friends, we were called Pathetico Madrid (my team-name suggestions were panned for being too politically incorrect, such as Spasstik Moscow or HIV Eindhoven) and if we had a weakness, we were probably a bit too quiet and nice. It was somewhat resolved when I brought another mate in, who was a black belt in karate. Throw in our main defender, who never said a word but if there was a hard tackle to be made, was excellent at timing them and we had enough physicality in our ranks, but there wasn't remotely a player in our ranks who was "dirty" (unless I came outfield as I was very much a fighter and kicker). And as for me, in goal, there was DEFINITELY enough gob - if anyone was arguing with the referee then it was me or our striker.

You need a few quiet ones, just make sure you don't take them for granted.

Edited by TheGunnShow

22 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, Corky, there's room for many different kinds of players and I wouldn't necessarily say Lungi's an exception. There are probably a few "Lungis" in every team, it's just ultra-clear with our Lungi as he stepped in for so long out of position and did a very decent job indeed of it. But a team of them, at least in terms of temperament, is far too quiet.

When I ran a five-a-side team with my friends, we were called Pathetico Madrid (my team-name suggestions were panned for being too politically incorrect, such as Spasstik Moscow or HIV Eindhoven) and if we had a weakness, we were probably a bit too quiet and nice. It was somewhat resolved when I brought another mate in, who was a black belt in karate. Throw in our main defender, who never said a word but if there was a hard tackle to be made, was excellent at timing them and we had enough physicality in our ranks, but there wasn't remotely a player in our ranks who was "dirty" (unless I came outfield as I was very much a fighter and kicker). And as for me, in goal, there was DEFINITELY enough gob - if anyone was arguing with the referee then it was me or our striker.

You need a few quiet ones, just make sure you don't take them for granted.

I admire his quiet professionalism. My comment didn't so much refer to how boisterous or not he is, more that if the fact he does his job , out of position, without issues is worthy of commendation ( which it is a bit) ... It just reflects badly on how we must regard other players attitudes to doing their job.,...just a thought.

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For a second there, I saw the tags in the URL and got very excited we were signing Jacob Ramsey on loan.

A bit like thinking you're signing Jude Bellingham and ending up with his younger brother. Not to say the younger brothers in both examples are no good. 

9 minutes ago, Bovril said:

For a second there, I saw the tags in the URL and got very excited we were signing Jacob Ramsey on loan.

A bit like thinking you're signing Jude Bellingham and ending up with his younger brother. Not to say the younger brothers in both examples are no good. 

An ex colleague of mine taught both Jude and Job at school. Both excellent geographers in case you were wondering.

Job was always regarded as the higher potential of the two in terms of footballing ability at youth level by the way. No idea how he's developing now, but obviously has a long way to catch up to Jude

Edited by kick it off

1 minute ago, Bovril said:

I did exactly the same 😂

Heard good things about Aaron, but it's a big step up to go from mid table L1 to top of Champ.