Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Here's a player I'd sign if I were Dean Smith. 

My first instinct when I saw the news was that he could be a good signing, but then I read a few comments from Forest fans online.

The general feeling seems to be that he was excellent two or three years ago but has lost his way considerably over the past couple of years, and even though he's a fan favourite and they're sad to see him go, they recognise that it's the right decision. 

Given his age (29) and the reviews I've seen, I'd say we're probably better off looking elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Could be interesting regarding Gibsons future... 

Or we're planning for a 3 at the back 

Omo Hanley Gibson 

With colwill and zimbo as bench backup.  

Who knows 🤷

What will or midfield shape be I wonder?

Will it be two midfielders with a no.10 in front , as surely it should be if we're imposing ourselves on this league?

Hayden    Sara

Cantwell/Dowell

Or will it be the more safety first option of a holding midfielder with two "no.8s" in front?

Hayden

Sara            Mclean/Lees Melou

...once we get Hayden and Sara uo and running, hopefully McLean will no longer be a permenant fixture    

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Could be interesting regarding Gibsons future... 

Or we're planning for a 3 at the back 

Omo Hanley Gibson 

With colwill and zimbo as bench backup.  

Who knows 🤷

I know the three at the back thing is something they have said they have looked at, but it concerns me a bit that it is pretty reliant on wing backs. All of our full backs can do that, but if we subscribe to losing Aarons still that could leave us a little short in terms of quality in that wing back position as he's arguably the most natural we have at it.

It also tends to mean we lose width elsewhere which is why I have never been a huge fan of it unless you have someone like Robertson who will run up and down the length of the pitch for fun.

3-4-3 or 3-5-1?

The other issue I have is our history with Chelsea... will we have to play a 19yr old or pay more in loan fees? Is that risky for the development of Omobamidele and/or Tomkinson? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite ridiculous, isn’t it.

I know quite a bit about the goings on at Brentford via friends, and Smith was liked by their supporters - he left largely because it was to go to his boyhood club, not because they were doing badly or anything.

I didn’t say they were doing badly, just that Frank has done a far better job! 

Just now, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Who’s record? TY’s I agree doesn’t seem like a nice bloke at all….

If you mean Smith then he really hasn’t got a great record in the Championship!

Good to see you ignored the fact he kept Villa up…twice 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well, Smith had already left to a bigger club so what Frank achieved afterwards isnt really comparable. In fact, whilst Frank was finishing 3rd in the Championship, Smith was finishing 11th in the Premier League.

Again I have no axe to grind either way, no idea how Smith will be for us long-term but some of you are determined to make things up about the bloke.

What? I was comparing 3 seasons Smith had with the first 3 frank had, so because Frank did far better it doesn’t count as Smith wasn’t there anymore! Great logic!!👍

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Good to see you ignored the fact he kept Villa up…twice 

With how much money????? 

They also would of been relegated if Goal line technology had worked!

Oh and we are not in the Premier league now in case you missed it!

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?

8 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

With how much money????? 

They also would of been relegated if Goal line technology had worked!

Oh and we are not in the Premier league now in case you missed it!

That 'goal' was the first game back after the restart, there were still 10 games left including that one..a quarter of the season left!.

If that goal had happened with one or two games left then maybe ..but not 10. Anything could/may not have happened after that

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

That 'goal' was the first game back after the restart, there were still 10 games left including that one..a quarter of the season left!.

If that goal had happened with one or two games left then maybe ..but not 10. Anything could/may not have happened after that

So if that goal was given, Villa would of suddenly been better for the rest of the season? Fair point!!!

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The butterfly effect...

The most likely outcome would of been the heads dropping and not getting many more points, however we will never know.

what we do know is the astronomical amounts of money Smith spent at villa to be 5 points ahead of us when he was sacked won’t be given to him at Carrow Road

Looking at his…….I was going to write tactics but not sure what they were last season, doesn’t fill me with great hope!

1 hour ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

The most likely outcome would of been the heads dropping and not getting many more points, however we will never know.

what we do know is the astronomical amounts of money Smith spent at villa to be 5 points ahead of us when he was sacked won’t be given to him at Carrow Road

Looking at his…….I was going to write tactics but not sure what they were last season, doesn’t fill me with great hope!

Yawn. You don’t like Smith. We get it. 

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yawn. You don’t like Smith. We get it. 

Thank you for such a reasoned debate!!!🙄 

I’m trying to understand what people see in him as a manager and giving my reasons why I think it was a very poor appointment as he really isn’t a good manager, last season was the first in 30 years of being a season ticket holder that I couldn’t be bothered to go to games and left at half time (Newcastle) as it was so poor to watch, he also has no connection to the fans in my opinion!

7 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

last season was the first in 30 years of being a season ticket holder that I couldn’t be bothered to go to games and left at half time

Then you were a real trooper in the 08/09 season when we went down to L1. That season is the only one I've left games early. 

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Then you were a real trooper in the 08/09 season when we went down to L1. That season is the only one I've left games early. 

In a strange way I quite enjoyed L1 (Colchester game aside), at least you could see what we were trying to do and the games were enjoyable, under Smith, awful games to watch and god knows what the tactics were supposed to be!

1 minute ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

In a strange way I quite enjoyed L1 (Colchester game aside), at least you could see what we were trying to do and the games were enjoyable, under Smith, awful games to watch and god knows what the tactics were supposed to be!

I enjoyed the L1 season too, it was the one before when we went down I was referring to though 🤣 it was the worst I've ever seen us. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Kalidou Koulibaly has joined Chelsea-he mentions that he nearly joined them in 2016 but doesn’t say anything about nearly joining us in 2015 🤬

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62168549

Why didnt Webber go after him this season?!! Webber out😡

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

38 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I enjoyed the L1 season too, it was the one before when we went down I was referring to though 🤣 it was the worst I've ever seen us. 

😂, sorry, well I actually never walked out and went to every game that season, so I must have enjoyed it more than last season I suppose! 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chicken said:

I know the three at the back thing is something they have said they have looked at, but it concerns me a bit that it is pretty reliant on wing backs. All of our full backs can do that, but if we subscribe to losing Aarons still that could leave us a little short in terms of quality in that wing back position as he's arguably the most natural we have at it.

It also tends to mean we lose width elsewhere which is why I have never been a huge fan of it unless you have someone like Robertson who will run up and down the length of the pitch for fun.

3-4-3 or 3-5-1?

The other issue I have is our history with Chelsea... will we have to play a 19yr old or pay more in loan fees? Is that risky for the development of Omobamidele and/or Tomkinson? 

This Colwill rumour doesn’t make sense to me unless another CB is moving on. 

Chelsea will expect him to be playing in the first 11 to make it worthwhile him coming on loan so in that sense someone will have to make way. 

Even if there’s this move towards 352 you’re benching one of Gibson or Zimbo, with both being a tidy operators at this level. 

Very head scratching when, as you say, that then blocks the route to developing our own.

In MBs article on Sara, he states that the initial cost burns up pretty much our whole cash budget for this summer. And that the plan was to fill the #6 and #8 positions, now switching focus to replacing players who want out/ have sufficient interest 

(Also I'm pretty sure Colwill is going to a PL side on a permanent)

Just watched a Levi Colwill highlight reel. He looks incredibly sharp & extremely effective at picking out an accurate forward pass. He's likely to be in high demand...

28 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In MBs article on Sara, he states that the initial cost burns up pretty much our whole cash budget for this summer. And that the plan was to fill the #6 and #8 positions, now switching focus to replacing players who want out/ have sufficient interest 

(Also I'm pretty sure Colwill is going to a PL side on a permanent)

I would think we need another DM in view of Hayden’s delayed return to fitness. Can’t go into this season with just Sorenson in a role we’ve desperately needed a full time answer for 4 seasons 

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I would think we need another DM in view of Hayden’s delayed return to fitness. Can’t go into this season with just Sorenson in a role we’ve desperately needed a full time answer for 4 seasons 

Always said we need 2 DM, because with if one is injured then we have proven the players we have cannot fulfil that role.

I like this 4-3-3 system we are looking at though and with Sara, Hayden and one other spot that is a shake up to the midfield.

Tzolis, pukki, rashica could form quite an attacking three. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smooth said:

Always said we need 2 DM, because with if one is injured then we have proven the players we have cannot fulfil that role.

Absolutely this. Either Sorenson is good enough to fill that role or he isn’t, in which case we need another DM.