Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

37 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I think losing Pukki could actually help Dean Smith. First, if Pukki's departure was announced just before the season started, it would take a lot of the pressure off Smith to deliver immediately. People would probably forgive a poor first half of the season in such a circumstance. Second, it would make it much easier for Smith to change the entire style of the team. Everything I saw last season suggested to me that Smith did not like the style he inherited from Farke and he would love to change to a more direct and muscular one. But as long as Pukki is there and we build our play around him, it's very difficult to do that. We have to play on the floor.

Let me make clear that I'm not advocating selling Pukki. Far from it. I've made it crystal clear elsewhere that I want Pukki to stay and I personally want Smith to go. I just see a clash between what Smith seems to want to do and what Pukki offers.

I understand what you're saying but if you read what Smith said in the latest article "don't judge us on pre season" on this very website, you'll read that he isn't wanting to play a long ball game. Wants to retain position, do better in transitions etc. I mean, watching the games last season you could have fooled me! But that style of play always suits Pukki. 

Unfortunately what we saw a lot of last season and so far in pre season doesn't fill me with a huge amount of faith that we have the players to do that. So hopefully the new signing will help, when they are back from injuries! 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

I think losing Pukki could actually help Dean Smith. First, if Pukki's departure was announced just before the season started, it would take a lot of the pressure off Smith to deliver immediately. People would probably forgive a poor first half of the season in such a circumstance. Second, it would make it much easier for Smith to change the entire style of the team. Everything I saw last season suggested to me that Smith did not like the style he inherited from Farke and he would love to change to a more direct and muscular one. But as long as Pukki is there and we build our play around him, it's very difficult to do that. We have to play on the floor.

Let me make clear that I'm not advocating selling Pukki. Far from it. I've made it crystal clear elsewhere that I want Pukki to stay and I personally want Smith to go. I just see a clash between what Smith seems to want to do and what Pukki offers.

I don't know how many times you need to be told but look at the history of strikers Dean Smith has been successful with. They're all small, quick strikers. Having a more physical midfield doesn't stop us playing Pukki, Pukki is a perfect Dean Smith player going by his ENTIRE MANAGEMENT HISTORY.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't know how many times you need to be told but look at the history of strikers Dean Smith has been successful with. They're all small, quick strikers. Having a more physical midfield doesn't stop us playing Pukki, Pukki is a perfect Dean Smith player going by his ENTIRE MANAGEMENT HISTORY.

How could anyone want Pukki to leave? 

Abraham wasn’t a small quick striker though 😂

Well if he was going to leave, I’d hope we could swoop in for Adam Armstrong as that’s probably as close a replacement as we could get

14 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He is a midget, 6ft 3”

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hopefully this means we'll get to see him when we play Brum in the League Cup next month. Does he still live Mulbarton way? I know he carried on living there for a while after he left Norwich.

2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Believe he still lives in Norfolk, @dylanisabaddog may know if he is still a resident of Mulbarton

Pretty sure he used to live in or near Mulbarton, as we played a Sunday League game on Mulbarton Green once, and he was there doing goalkeeping drills with his son. Must have inspired us, as we won 4-0 that day away to a Mulbarton team (The Middle Green) who were top of the league and had beaten us 10-0 earlier that season! 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Don’t give us that rubbish, we all know Dean Smith is Tony Pullis and Sam Allardyce’s love child and wants to resurrect the Wimbledon of the late eighties/early nineties as he believes there is nothing finer than a huge punt upfield to a big un who pushes four defenders out of the way before heading it in.

Boo!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Pretty sure he used to live in or near Mulbarton, as we played a Sunday League game on Mulbarton Green once, and he was there doing goalkeeping drills with his son. Must have inspired us, as we won 4-0 that day away to a Mulbarton team (The Middle Green) who were top of the league and had beaten us 10-0 earlier that season! 

Jake Humphries wished Ruddy well on Twitter this morning whilst marvelling that "his neighbour" seems to enjoy the commute from Norfolk to Birmingham!

Updated table on EFL named squad basis with added squad numbers.  The fact they have not got a number suggests Barden, McCracken and Soto destinies lie elsewhere this season, which even with Sara's signing being confirmed leaves 3 spaces for incoming players should budget be available.  At least five of the U21's look destined for loans out as well.

image.thumb.png.a41b3986cebf67d6f59bfbc1368d821a.png

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

No, Abraham wasn't. However, even as a big player he wasn't a target man CF, he was a loan signing who offered a bit of versatility. He still played on the shoulder when required and also scored a lot of tap-ins.

At Brentford in the championship he has Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Canos in the same team, all who scored goals. I wouldn't say thats a hugely physical, long-ball merchant front-line like some posters on here seem determined to make Dean Smith out to be.

If he ends up being a good manager for us is completely up in the air, it's just weird that people need to make up some narrative about him being a Tony Pulis Sam Allardyce lovechild (thanks @Nuff Said)

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Believe he still lives in Norfolk, @dylanisabaddog may know if he is still a resident of Mulbarton

He moved out of Mulbarton to a small village nearby about 4 years ago. His wife and family still live here and he commutes. 

His wife was very nice when one of my dogs got out and dug a hole in her lawn. Lovely lady.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He moved out of Mulbarton to a small village nearby about 4 years ago. His wife and family still live here and he commutes. 

His wife was very nice when one of my dogs got out and dug a hole in her lawn. Lovely lady.

Trying to decide if this is a euphemism. 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Couldn't stand the life of pace in a big village? 😃

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Trying to decide if this is a euphemism. 🤔

It did sound sexy

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Couldn't stand the life of pace in a big village? 😃

Think he saw Tom Wright play for Mulbarton and couldn't cope with being the second best goalkeeper in the village 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, Abraham wasn't. However, even as a big player he wasn't a target man CF, he was a loan signing who offered a bit of versatility. He still played on the shoulder when required and also scored a lot of tap-ins.

At Brentford in the championship he has Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Canos in the same team, all who scored goals. I wouldn't say thats a hugely physical, long-ball merchant front-line like some posters on here seem determined to make Dean Smith out to be.

If he ends up being a good manager for us is completely up in the air, it's just weird that people need to make up some narrative about him being a Tony Pulis Sam Allardyce lovechild (thanks @Nuff Said)

So what your saying is, Smith had Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Canos in the same team and still didn't even make the play-offs let alone promotion....

Fantastic, what a manager!!

9 minutes ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

So what your saying is, Smith had Maupay, Watkins, Benrahma and Canos in the same team and still didn't even make the play-offs let alone promotion....

Fantastic, what a manager!!

Thomas Frank finished 11th with those players too, despite Smith leaving them in and around the playoffs when he moved to Villa. no one is criticising him..

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I’m on your side and I’m also behind Dean Smith. He’s not a long ball merchant. I live in the midlands and the main team is Villa round here. He certainly isn’t referred to as that. No one can judge him on that dross last season and a pre season game.

Just wanted to point out that not all of his successful strikers were small pacy ones, that’s it! Not a bad thing, hopefully he gets a tune out of hugill. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Smith didn't sign Abraham though, he was already there when he arrived. 

Brentford's main centre forwards during Smith's reign were Vibe, Maupay and Watkins, who are all under six-foot. And aside from the rather useless lump Wesley, the strikers Villa signed under Smith were all under six foot as well: Samatta, Watkins and Ings.

It baffles me that people just seem to look at Smith's passport rather than his CV and automatically assume he likes to play long ball football to a big targetman. British-born coaches like Pulis, Warnock and McCarthy are on the way out, bring replaced by coaches like Potter, Howe, and even dropping down the leagues, Martin, Manning and Evatt.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Thomas Frank finished 11th with those players too, despite Smith leaving them in and around the playoffs when he moved to Villa. no one is criticising him..

Then 3rd with a play-off final loss and 3rd with promotion! compared to 9th, 10th (despite signing 18 players!!!) & 9th, I know who I would rather have out the 2.

Just now, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Then 3rd with a play-off final loss and 3rd with promotion! compared to 9th, 10th (despite signing 18 players!!!) & 9th, I know who I would rather have out the 2.

Then **** off to Brentford then, mate. 

• Like 2

I wonder with Spence going for a bit of money from Boro and their reported interest in Gibson, if something might happen there. Different positions, I know, but transfer windows are always about dominoes falling 🍕