Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Very harsh on Sargeant. I suspect he'll be a vital cog this season and full of potential.

Sargeant has done nothing to suggest he’ll be a force this season. However that doesn’t mean he won’t come good and in the world of the spend adverse Norwich City, he needs to for all concerned, but to use an old phrase ‘he’s all p*** and wind’ 

You get no marks for trying in football. 

• Like 1

Good decisions regarding both Mumba and Martin but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if Sargent left as well as long as we recovered a reasonable amount of what we paid. 

We have too many average players who are not going to improve. The squad needs thinning to make way for youngsters coming through.

• Like 1

Martin who hasn't set the world alight in League 1 and Mumba who couldn't get in the Posh team that got relegated. Honestly a bit surprised about Mumba but we obviously need to clear the decks.

I don't think this is a sign of us getting rid of small, skillful players. I think it's a sign of us getting rid of players that aren't Premier League/top end Championship standard. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Martin who hasn't set the world alight in League 1 and Mumba who couldn't get in the Posh team that got relegated. Honestly a bit surprised about Mumba but we obviously need to clear the decks.

I don't think this is a sign of us getting rid of small, skillful players. I think it's a sign of us getting rid of players that aren't Premier League/top end Championship standard. 

Sargent and Placheta obviously are PL/top end Champ, of course.

It's amazing how, after the Watford game, Sargent has gone from incompetent clown to potential superhero in so many fans' eyes. He had about 20 games to prove himself last season and, as an attacker, he was almost unceasingly, embarrassingly bad. I'll admit he does a lot of good harassing and pressing, but that should be a bonus in an attacker, not his one and only virtue.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

It's amazing how, after the Watford game, Sargent has gone from incompetent clown to potential superhero in so many fans' eyes. He had about 20 games to prove himself last season and, as an attacker, he was almost unceasingly, embarrassingly bad. I'll admit he does a lot of good harassing and pressing, but that should be a bonus in an attacker, not his one and only virtue.

I watched the same games you most likely did. I wouldnt go as far as painting him as a superhero but he does have qualities in which he should excel at championship level, if integrated within the right role within a team.

For me it was the Southampton game where he came on at half time and locked the right side of the pitch down. Carried the ball up the field constantly whilst providing an outlet with his physicality.

He obviously needs to work on being more composed in the final third but he is still young enough. He'll be playing in a team (hopefully) on the front foot in a non top 5 league for the first time so he should have plenty of time to work on it.

The header at Watford of course is something I think we should be looking to make a weapon of ours. With Gianoullis and Rashica on the wing we can certainly stick a nice ball in to that far post header.

16 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Reckon Sargent could be. Placheta probably not but we're clearly trying to shift him too.

I think Sargent will surprise a few this season for sure. Yes he had a miserable time last year but who didn't in our squad, a season(or more) in a lower division, i think, will do the lad good and he'll find his feet. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I think Sargent will surprise a few this season for sure. Yes he had a miserable time last year but who didn't in our squad, a season(or more) in a lower division, i think, will do the lad good and he'll find his feet. 

A sensible post for once. And inexactly this.

50 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Martin going, Mumba going. There seems to be a pattern here. We have a skilful young player who's a bit light-weight physically, play him for a few games and he does well, then we loan him out and he's never heard of again until he's sold for peanuts.

Physicality is the new God. Speed, strength, muscle. Pay a small fortune for someone like Sargent who can't do anything with a football while making no effort to develop technically gifted players because they're not tall/fast/muscled enough.

Where does it say that Mumba is going? Had a quick scan of Pinkun and done a Google search but couldn't see anything...

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Where does it say that Mumba is going? Had a quick scan of Pinkun and done a Google search but couldn't see anything...

A questionable twitter rumour only as far as I can make out.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, komakino said:

Sargeant has done nothing to suggest he’ll be a force this season. However that doesn’t mean he won’t come good and in the world of the spend adverse Norwich City, he needs to for all concerned, but to use an old phrase ‘he’s all p*** and wind’ 

You get no marks for trying in football. 

You've got one person complaining that we spent too much on Josh Sargent and then you're saying we're "spend adverse"

What a world!

Can see why Martin's off. He was basically a punt as a player released by Arsenal in the hope Farke could work some magic on him, and he did have his moments.

Should do alright a bit lower down the pyramid.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Martin going, Mumba going. There seems to be a pattern here. We have a skilful young player who's a bit light-weight physically, play him for a few games and he does well, then we loan him out and he's never heard of again until he's sold for peanuts.

Physicality is the new God. Speed, strength, muscle. Pay a small fortune for someone like Sargent who can't do anything with a football while making no effort to develop technically gifted players because they're not tall/fast/muscled enough.

Sargent being shoved out right was never going to work and he was never going to create the chances Buendia did, but one thing he did do from that position was score more goals in the premier league for us than Buendia did (scant consolation I’m aware). But it shows there could be a player there and we need to unlock it 

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Sargent being shoved out right was never going to work and he was never going to create the chances Buendia did, but one thing he did do from that position was score more goals in the premier league for us than Buendia did (scant consolation I’m aware). But it shows there could be a player there and we need to unlock it 

Sargent suffers from perpetrating that awful miss when his "shot" didn't even reach the open goal. That moment tainted his season (unsurprisingly) & has led to a lot of unwarranted criticism of his overall game.

27 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Sargent suffers from perpetrating that awful miss when his "shot" didn't even reach the open goal. That moment tainted his season (unsurprisingly) & has led to a lot of unwarranted criticism of his overall game.

He has been goods in fits. A season in the championship won’t do him no harm. Just hope it isn’t out on the right!

No surprise that Martin’s off. Out of contract next summer and didn’t really have an outstanding loan spell in League One. We also currently have loads of wingers in our squad, and need to get rid of some of them so we can make way for new signings 

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I think you have cracked it here Bubbs, definitely a sense that the strategy has moved away from slight and skilful to more physicality.  You just have to hope the new players come with a modicum of more technique than Sargent has shown so far!

13 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

No surprise that Martin’s off. Out of contract next summer and didn’t really have an outstanding loan spell in League One. We also currently have loads of wingers in our squad, and need to get rid of some of them so we can make way for new signings 

I agree that its no surprise he is off but your view on his loans spells is wrong. 

Martin didn't have a wholly positive time at MK Dons because Russel Martin left and the new manager changed the system which meant Josh didn't figure in the new guys' plans.  However at Donny Rovers Martin was their star player over the last 10 matches of the season.  Given a run in a lower league team, I think there will be another Toffolo rise through the leagues and he will still end up being an EPL player.  Agreed he is not what we want now and we can't afford to carry him so he is better off elsewhere.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I agree that its no surprise he is off but your view on his loans spells is wrong. 

Martin didn't have a wholly positive time at MK Dons because Russel Martin left and the new manager changed the system which meant Josh didn't figure in the new guys' plans.  However at Donny Rovers Martin was their star player over the last 10 matches of the season.  Given a run in a lower league team, I think there will be another Toffolo rise through the leagues and he will still end up being an EPL player.  Agreed he is not what we want now and we can't afford to carry him so he is better off elsewhere.

I dunno… I feel like he could still stake a claim on the left hand side. We’re hardly set there. Perhaps indicates Rashica is staying?

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

But that's not quite true is it! Both Rowe and Springett are "light-weight" wingers, and both were brought into the first team based on merit.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

But that's not quite true is it! Both Rowe and Springett are "light-weight" wingers, and both were brought into the first team based on merit.

It's got to be feast or famine with our fans.

The thought that signing Hayden meant we're going to be a hoofball team is comical.

• Like 1

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

The thought that signing Hayden meant we're going to be a hoofball team is comical.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Very harsh on Sargeant. I suspect he'll be a vital cog this season and full of potential.

You can put a skinny kid with a good touch in the gym you can’t put a meat head from the gym on the right wing and expect him to be ronaldo. Sadly Sargent is the latter 50p boot 

5 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

You can put a skinny kid with a good touch in the gym you can’t put a meat head from the gym on the right wing and expect him to be ronaldo. Sadly Sargent is the latter 50p boot 

I don't think he's very good, but to call him a "meat head from the gym" is a very strange thing to say. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Yep. 

This offseason honestly feels like the dumbest one yet. Their is a concerted effort on here by some to make out that Dean Smith, and a desire to get more physical means we're basically going to be Pulis and Stoke.

The team needs more physicality and strength. It could hardly have less. Trying to address this weakness doesn't mean we're suddenly going full Mike Bassett.

• Like 1

That Watford game showed Sargent to be an actual decent footballer. Despite my profile picture (🤭) I actually think he was one of our better players at the end of his season before he got injured and for most of the season in general. He is going to be important this season. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1