Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

7 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

why aren't we Brentford though? 

Speaking of. I see on SSN that Erikson has agreed to Sign for Man U. 

Big big blow for brentford that. 

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Speaking of. I see on SSN that Erikson has agreed to Sign for Man U. 

Big big blow for brentford that. 

Looks like ten Hag is blowing Man Utd's recruiting and scouting system out the water and targeting players he has worked with before or who have played for Ajax.

I see Man City have signed Phillips for £45m!! Madness.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Looks like ten Hag is blowing Man Utd's recruiting and scouting system out the water and targeting players he has worked with before or who have played for Ajax.

Can't blame him really can you 🤣 

And yes very good move for Phillips financially (I'd have thought) whether he plays much outside of cups will remain to be seen. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

1 hour ago, Canaries north said:

I agree getting a player in to play second fiddle will be very difficult but said player will get time on the pitch this season as we have to give Pukki a rest. Also they will know they will be first choice next season and hopefully that will be in the prem. I also agree we need players from midfield to score more but can we really go into the season with only one player who can regularly put the ball in the back of the net. We have one natural finisher in the squad. Lose him to injury/fatigue and even with a midfield that adds more goals we will not be going up. As for Idah being stifled, my guess is we will have Idah and Pukki playing together. If not then it's up to him to show he is ready for the first team. Personally I really rate Idah but don't see him as a natural goalscorer. This might come but I see him now as a perfect foil for Pukki or another natural finisher. 

I don't think you will find a player who is willing to play second fiddle, in our price range and who will do better than Idah and Hugill (not including Sargent as I don't consider him a striker). 

For me, I'd rather we focus on two creative players which I believe is a far bigger priority right now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

And yes very good move for Phillips financially (I'd have thought) whether he plays much outside of cups will remain to be seen. 

Interesting comment. I can see him playing fairly regularly in a midfield full of technical ability, but maybe lacking a little in physicality with Fernando on his way out. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think it suits everyone involved, City get a decent DM for a good price, Leeds cash-in on an academy player and Philllips gets the chance to win some medals.

16 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Interesting comment. I can see him playing fairly regularly in a midfield full of technical ability, but maybe lacking a little in physicality with Fernando on his way out. 

Does he get in, in front of Rodri? They rarely play two holding players.

3 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I think it suits everyone involved, City get a decent DM for a good price, Leeds cash-in on an academy player and Philllips gets the chance to win some medals.

a 'decent DM' for 45 million shows how bonkers it is. They can afford it fair play.

29 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I wouldn't put him in a midfield ahead of De bruyne or rodri  🤷 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't think you will find a player who is willing to play second fiddle, in our price range and who will do better than Idah and Hugill (not including Sargent as I don't consider him a striker). 

For me, I'd rather we focus on two creative players which I believe is a far bigger priority right now. 

I am happy to agree to disagree. Will we ever be able to replace Pukki on our budget unless we find an absolute bargain again as we did with him. That did happen once didn't it 😃 I know it's difficult but we need someone pushing Pukki for his place and any football player should have the arrogance to believe they can take the throne. All the other strikers we have are so different to Pukki, so when we play the way to suit him , if injury happens we have to change everything to try to fit the other strikers. 

On average the teams who get promoted from the championship score 75 goals. Without Pukki god forbid and even with some midfielders picking up some goals I don't see us any way near. 

As said agree to disagree but we are banking a lot on a 32 year old Pukki staying fit all season in my opinion.

We have other options to fill in for Pukki on a short term basis, but our reliance on him is such that we probably won't get promoted if he is sidelined for any length of time. The flipside of that is how do we progress Adam Idah to the extent that he could ultimately take over from Teemu.

I wonder if Smith will revert to a style of play that suits a more conventional striker and hope that Teemu's skill and experience means he can adapt pretty quickly. At the moment we still don't have that player who will provide the service that he was used to from Buendia. I live in hope that he will score goals in the Championship for a team that creates enough chances whether that's through balls, or fox in the box type chances.

7 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

If comparing to the fee we got for Buendia, which is a maximum of £38m, then feels like we got an appropriate amount for him given Phillips is a full England International.

From @Bethnal Yellow and Green

"One for the youth team, but apparently Norwich have signed 18 year old centre-back Marcel Mcintosh from Forest Green. He played one game for them in the EFL Trophy against Brighton's U21s and was awarded the Man of the Match."

Ac Milan have just bid £20 million for Charles de Ketelaere of club Brugge. Funds for Tzolis maybe. 

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Bali Mumba to Plymouth Argyle - rumour.

Wow. Either this means Max is going nowhere or we will be in for a replacement RB as cover. 

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Bali Mumba to Plymouth Argyle - rumour.

Really is getting embarrassing. He's easily good enough for us, but nope seems we are determined to take him down the route of forever loand to lower leauge clubs until he leaves on a free trasfer

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really is getting embarrassing. He's easily good enough for us, but nope seems we are determined to take him down the route of forever loand to lower leauge clubs until he leaves on a free trasfer

Firstly, we have no idea if this is true, and secondly, he couldn't get in the Peterborough team for the final few months of last season so he might not be as good as we think.

Personally, I'd keep him here as a backup option for both fullback positions.

I mean, it's not that I'm saying Twitter accounts with 3 followers and 4 tweets definitely don't have an inside line on Championship transfers...

But...

He needs games and didn't do particularly well at Peterborough. If this means Max is staying then it makes sense with Byram (and Sorensen) as cover.

19 hours ago, Canaries north said:

As for Idah being stifled, my guess is we will have Idah and Pukki playing together. If not then it's up to him to show he is ready for the first team. Personally I really rate Idah but don't see him as a natural goalscorer.

I'm curious to know why you don't see him as a natural goal-scorer. At every other level he has played, he has proved to be precisely that. In the FA cup game against Preston his hattrick was very much a goal-scorer's performance. It is certainly true that he hasn't sustained a run of first team games (mostly because of injury, and Pukki's presence as a single striker) for us to gauge whether he can step up and repeat his previous scoring feats at senior level. However, there is surely enough evidence to think it a credible punt to rely on him as one of the back-up strikers. The alternative is to splash £15m on a back-up at Pukki's level (which ain't going to happen), on the assumption that the club stands a chance of persuading such a player to play second fiddle in the first place (can't see that happening either). I'm happy to admit that I'm not very aware of what our opponents boast in terms of a main and back-up striker, but I suspect there won't be many that are considered better than our Pukki/Idah option.

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Based on what, exactly?  One performance for us two seasons ago??  He was apparently just about ‘ok’ in a relegated side at this level last season, so I can’t really see how you leap to the conclusion that he’d be fantastic in a side looking to be at the other end of things.  I think we’re better off letting the guys at the club decide who’s good enough. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Based on what, exactly?  One performance for us two seasons ago??  He was apparently  ‘ok’ in a relegated side at this level last season, so I can’t really see how you leap to the conclusion that he’d be fantastic in a side looking to be at the other end of things.  I think we’re better off letting the guys at the club decide who’s good enough. 

Indeed! It was a route to the first team that worked rather well for Godfrey.

6 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Josh Martin on his way (according to the Pink Un).

It’s a little unfortunate for him that we have so many players in that kind of area, and a squad that needs to be trimmed.  It does seem we have several guys not quite good enough yet for Championship football. 

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Josh Martin on his way (according to the Pink Un).

Martin going, Mumba going. There seems to be a pattern here. We have a skilful young player who's a bit light-weight physically, play him for a few games and he does well, then we loan him out and he's never heard of again until he's sold for peanuts.

Physicality is the new God. Speed, strength, muscle. Pay a small fortune for someone like Sargent who can't do anything with a football while making no effort to develop technically gifted players because they're not tall/fast/muscled enough.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Martin going, Mumba going. There seems to be a pattern here. We have a skilful young player who's a bit light-weight physically, play him for a few games and he does well, then we loan him out and he's never heard of again until he's sold for peanuts.

Physicality is the new God. Speed, strength, muscle. Pay a small fortune for someone like Sargent who can't do anything with a football while making no effort to develop technically gifted players because they're not tall/fast/muscled enough.

Very harsh on Sargeant. I suspect he'll be a vital cog this season and full of potential.