Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

23 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So compared with 20/21, we will have no Buendia, no Skipp, and now it looks like probably no Pukki. But we will have Sargent and Placheta.

I don't think we'll be bothering the top half of the table.

Goodness... and you are usually so positive! 😀

2 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I heard a rumour we are looking at Pukki’s replacement 😉

Pouring petrol on the flames lol

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

Goodness... and you are usually so positive! 😀

😀

Actually, I am positive sometimes. For example, I fully expected to stay up in 19/20 because I thought we had something special going, or special enough to keep us up on momentum. I also expected to stay up in 21/22. Like almost everyone else, I thought the recruitment was really good until it all started to unravel.

So, as I am so consistently wrong, maybe Dean Smith will be a maestro who leads us back to the Promised Land and keeps us there. I'd feel a total fool, but I'd take the hit for the club.

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Is there actually any rumours going around at the moment? 

There is on the umbrella academy season 3..... That's about it 🤷🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I have no idea why you bother with a forum when your ability to comprehend what others say and point out how thick you're being is painfully bad. But I'll try to help.

Birmingham, Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, Coventry, Huddersfield, Hull, Millwall, Preston, Sheffield United, Sunderland, Watford, and Wigan have all signed the same or less amount of players than us.

The difference being compared to most of them, we already have a deep, championship quality squad.

The other one's that do are Watford and to a lesser degree Burnley and guess what, their transfer activity matches ours! Oh, apart from Burnley have lost their Number One goalkeeper and their two best CB's.

So it's not "Dear oh dear" at all.

Why aren't we Cardiff??...... 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just rearranging words to sort you own agenda.   That's impossible to argue with when the points made get jumbled around in your head and come out all over the shop.    My comment which you highlight above (as I made clear) does not say I said it would do us no harm as you alleged and you should know if you are going to argue a case fairly.   

I also did not say 'Farke gambled' that too is fabricated in your head and you can search all you like.   I said 'What’s the difference between my suggestion and where we were when Webber brought Farke in?   We never expected promotion that second season we we’re still developing a team?   Even the club used that line when justifying the lack of spend.    Where does that statement say 'Farke gambled'?  Immediately your point is flawed if its based on misunderstanding.   Farke had nothing to do with that and its simply a question anyway, not even a statement.    You still failed to offer any rational solution to our current predicament that the gap between the quality of this team and the EPL is vast so how do we bridge that.    Until you can do that, why be so against my opinion?    For different reasons, yes, I think this argument has run out of road.   

So basically, you argue and argue then finally all you've got to this whole debate about the path we take this season is needs 'new ownership'.     And then what?   Please don't even try to answer that!   

FFS! You don't even understand the implication of your own words, "I would rather see us consolidate, gamble on a year or two of good development (like we did when we brought Farke in)." WTF does that mean if it doesn't mean if it doesn't essentially imply what I said? Feel free to explain.  Farke was not brought in as a gamble on a year or two of good development. He was brought in because Weber considered him to be the best prospect for achieving promotion. He was right, we achieved promotion well before expectation. Achieving promotion well before expectation depended on Farke choosing the best players he had available. He specifically DID NOT "gamble on a year or two of good development". He got on with the job brilliantly  by choosing the best players available, fact!

Yet again you make the the utterly ridiculous comment, "You still failed to offer any rational solution to our current predicament that the gap between the quality of this team and the EPL is vast so how do we bridge that". The very idea that there is a "rational solution" to this issue is absurd. Just as absurd as your putative solution that we should hang around the Championship for a few seasons in the vain hope that we will develop a squad from our academy products that will magically transform themselves into a team of PL superstars despite never having played in that league. Are you seriously suggesting we should accept that fantasy as a "rational solution"?

The problem is fundamentally about the financial structure of the PL, and the massive disparity between the haves and have-nots playing in that league. That is NOT a situation over which NCFC have any rational control. It's simply the reality with which we are faced.   Unless there is a massive input of cash into the transfer coffers our current strategy is the only one that provides us with hope of promotion. Upon promotion the harsh reality will remain that we will be at a massive disadvantage compared to other teams because of our restricted financial clout. There is NO "rational solution" to that reality. The club can only respond to that issue from within the self-funding model that gives us our best shout at getting up and staying up. It's the only way we have found to generate cash to have a punt at that extraordinarily hard objective. Unless, of course you think we should risk borrowing huge amounts of money and risk becoming the next Portsmouth or Derby, or believe we should sell off our real estate. The truth is we would have to get lucky in it being the case that the limited funds we do spend gel into a set of players who perform well above their collective monetary value. Last season is a case in point. We had to sell Buendia to raise £30-40m in order to spend on a few players that might strengthen the team overall. That clearly failed, but let's at least get real and realise there was no other alternative. We need to find several Buendia like signings who perform way beyond their price tag. If your "rational solution" shows us just how you achieve that then I'm sure that all of us will be delighted to hear you explain how. While we wait for that solution I will expect Smith to assemble the best squad he can to win promotion. I truly hope that includes a few more loan to buys in the mould of Hayden, a quality of player we could not have brought into the squad in any other way.

Not sure if he was ever on our radar but after watching Peterborough’s Ronnie Edwards control the back-line against the Italians in the U19 tournament, I do wonder why our scouts weren't on this lad from a fairly local(ish) team before? He was decent against Austria too. He looks class...way above his years. Worth a big punt IMO.

2 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

Not sure if he was ever on our radar but after watching Peterborough’s Ronnie Edwards control the back-line against the Italians in the U19 tournament, I do wonder why our scouts weren't on this lad from a fairly local(ish) team before? He was decent against Austria too. He looks class...way above his years. Worth a big punt IMO.

Hasnt he only had one season at Peterborough?

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Hasnt he only had one season at Peterborough?

2 I think, but regardless, if The Posh are looking at players near-ish to us (Barnet) then why arent we aware of him? He's keeping Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool defenders out of the side.

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

2 I think, but regardless, if The Posh are looking at players near-ish to us (Barnet) then why arent we aware of him? He's keeping Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool defenders out of the side.

I'm always a little bit cautious about this kinda thing, there's literally 1000s of young players in youth teams from Barnet upwards and we are of course going to miss some. I think we need to just say well done Peterborough on this one.

• Like 1

Probably nonsense but here you go:

Norwich City hope to complete the signing of Mathias Normann in the coming weeks. player willing to leave Russia. Todd Cantwell has options to consider as the club push for the exit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Norwich City hope to complete the signing of Mathias Normann in the coming weeks. player willing to leave Russia. Todd Cantwell has options to consider as the club push for the exit.

Does sound like utter nonsense. Not like he impresed and was walking injured most of the season.  

Unless Normann's moved he's not been in the city since the day after the season finished. He lived opposite me. You couldn't miss his big black jeep which he drove like a maniac!

It seems unlikely we could afford to sign him. I guess it depends how desperate he is to get out of Russia!

42 minutes ago, Badger said:

For anyone doubting this guy as a source he's just posted...

I am definitely convinced.

11 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

For anyone doubting this guy as a source he's just posted...

I am definitely convinced.

He’s referring to himself in the third person. That’s tells me all I need to know. 

“Craig David all over your body”.

• Haha 4

Wayne Rooney is free currently? Probably pay him £10 a week after Derby situation 😉

4 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

😀

Actually, I am positive sometimes. For example, I fully expected to stay up in 19/20 because I thought we had something special going, or special enough to keep us up on momentum. I also expected to stay up in 21/22. Like almost everyone else, I thought the recruitment was really good until it all started to unravel.

So, as I am so consistently wrong, maybe Dean Smith will be a maestro who leads us back to the Promised Land and keeps us there. I'd feel a total fool, but I'd take the hit for the club.

I was never as optimistic as some - the odds are always against a newly promoted side - the majority go down first year and most of the rest go down second year.

It doesn't stop me from wasting a tenner every time we get promoted by backing us to stay up! 😀

After such a "bad" relegation it's the mental side that worries me - they need to get some winds under their belt quite quickly for their confidence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

I was never as optimistic as some - the odds are always against a newly promoted side - the majority go down first year and most of the rest go down second year.

It doesn't stop me from wasting a tenner every time we get promoted by backing us to stay up! 😀

After such a "bad" relegation it's the mental side that worries me - they need to get some winds under their belt quite quickly for their confidence.

Yes, especially since there isn't the cohesion among the players that existed even after the post-lockdown nightmare. These guys played like strangers for most of last season, the loans have gone, there was little sense of unity among the squad. What's left of the old guard - Pukki, Aarons, McLean? We have somehow managed to contrive to have a squad which is heavy in numbers but which seem to have little history of playing together.

OK, I'm getting negative again. I'll shut up.

• Haha 1

Well I’d be happy to see Normann back next season if this dodgy account is for real, especially if the fee is low. His injury issues aren’t a secret so it would likely be factored into any deal and he would easily be amongst the best players in the championship. He was crying out for someone like Hayden next to him last season as he was never a DM in the first place.

• Like 3

You get the sense as always that the transfer market will take a domino effect. A couple of major transfers will take place and a flurry of activity will kick off.

Norwich have a strong looking team/squad on paper right now but we don’t exactly know which ones fit into smiths plans, his primary formation or which ones have expressed a desire to leave. It could just be a tweak to the existing group or major surgery.

if we started the season with Krul, Aarons, Giannoulis, Gibson, Hanley, Hayden, PLM, Rashica, Dowell, Cantwell and Pukki with a bench containing McClean, Hernandez, Sorenson, Omabamadiele, Sargent, Idah then that is pretty decent (on paper). 

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Are you sure this isn’t from a year ago? 😉

Normann seems unlikely but he won’t be going back to Russia, I’m guessing there would be no fee to pay, and he probably doesn’t have a long queue of suitors. I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he stayed, we saw that he has potential, we would just need to hope it’s that side of him we see next season.

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you sure this isn’t from a year ago? 😉

Normann seems unlikely but he won’t be going back to Russia, I’m guessing there would be no fee to pay, and he probably doesn’t have a long queue of suitors. I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he stayed, we saw that he has potential, we would just need to hope it’s that side of him we see next season.

No, he was never going to go back to Russia. Not sure there would be no fee, though. I haven’t seen Normann play,  but if Hayden is the defensive central midfielder we have needed does Normann then make sense as someone who can operate between the two penalty areas without having to worry about doing much defending?

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No, he was never going to go back to Russia. Not sure there would be no fee, though. I haven’t seen Normann play,  but if Hayden is the defensive central midfielder we have needed does Normann then make sense as someone who can operate between the two penalty areas without having to worry about doing much defending?

Yup, a bit split on Normann, I think he has a lot more to offer than we saw last season. Perhaps the impact of his injury was much more than we realised?

There won't be a fee, I think FIFA already released a statement to that effect. They released a statement last season which I believe was about this summer.

If he does sign permanently I suspect there could be clauses, but we'll have to see.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Yup, a bit split on Normann, I think he has a lot more to offer than we saw last season. Perhaps the impact of his injury was much more than we realised?

There won't be a fee, I think FIFA already released a statement to that effect. They released a statement last season which I believe was about this summer.

If he does sign permanently I suspect there could be clauses, but we'll have to see.

Thanks. I didn’t know about the FIFA statement.