Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

6 hours ago, chicken said:

Weird in that Godfrey, Lewis, Idah and Omobamidele are all players brought through by Farke first. In fact, Farke liked Idah so much he kept him around the squad and tried to use him more, rather than loaning him out. Equally, Godfrey had been loaned out for several seasons and it was Farke that brought him back in, switched his position and essentially turned him into a player Everton wanted to splash out on.

I don't actually think Farke and Smith are worlds apart, Smith perhaps just wants a bit more balance than we got in terms of the athleticism and pace, under Farke. Even though both Webber and Farke said they wanted more pace and more physicality.

Smith has yet to prove at Norwich that he can develop young players, something which Farke (whatever his negatives) was truly excellent at. Aarons is the perfect example. Farke threw in players when he believed they were ready and trusted them to do a job. He then gave them gametime to continue to develop.

Compare that with what Smith has done with a few of the under-23s. He's thrown them on for 20 minutes, and then what? That isn't developing a player. If someone was cynical, they might think it was a way to court popularity with the fans, or and attempt to look like a daring coach with vision, but it isn't developing players.

17 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Smith has yet to prove at Norwich that he can develop young players, something which Farke (whatever his negatives) was truly excellent at. Aarons is the perfect example. Farke threw in players when he believed they were ready and trusted them to do a job. He then gave them gametime to continue to develop.

Compare that with what Smith has done with a few of the under-23s. He's thrown them on for 20 minutes, and then what? That isn't developing a player. If someone was cynical, they might think it was a way to court popularity with the fans, or and attempt to look like a daring coach with vision, but it isn't developing players.

How many under 23s did Farke bring in whilst we were in the premiership? I’m pretty sure all Of his successful ones were given championship games before and your Cantwells of the world got season long loans out.

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

How many under 23s did Farke bring in whilst we were in the premiership? I’m pretty sure all Of his successful ones were given championship games before and your Cantwells of the world got season long loans out.

Agreed. It's much harder to develop young players in the Prem.

But I'd still argue that Farke improved several players like Buendia and Cantwell in 19/20, even in the Prem. Can you name one player - other than Idah, who got injured too soon to know how things would turn out - who Smith improved last season?

23 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Smith has had several months to Farke's several years. Bit ridiculous comparing development of players over two such contrasting periods.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Agreed. It's much harder to develop young players in the Prem.

But I'd still argue that Farke improved several players like Buendia and Cantwell in 19/20, even in the Prem. Can you name one player - other than Idah, who got injured too soon to know how things would turn out - who Smith improved last season?

I cannot name one player Farke improved last season! But yeah, Idah definitely looked a lot better under Smith. Gunn looked pretty good for someone who wasn’t getting a song with Farke. Byram did well to get back to a standard where he was playing regular prem football. Pukki scored more open play goals.

I’m going off point, but Smith isn’t a complete dud and he brought through some good players at Villa, so don’t write him off yet!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Smith has had several months to Farke's several years. Bit ridiculous comparing development of players over two such contrasting periods.

Of course. Criticising Smith and comparing him to Farke at this moment in time is just nit-pickery.

A manager who has not fielded one team that included a player of his own choice. Who inherited a team in rock bottom position and who was not able to strengthen one tiny bit in his one window. 

That the team failed to cover itself in glory towards the end of the last season, and that's putting it mildly, is undeniable. The fact that the manger seemed incapable of averting this was more than  somewhat discouraging, but he's not going anywhere.

Continually carping on about his suitability or otherwise achieves nothing. 

He might well turn out to be a bad fit, but it's quite ridiculous to make that assumption this early in the piece.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Of course. Criticising Smith and comparing him to Farke at this moment in time is just nit-pickery.

A manager who has not fielded one team that included a player of his own choice. Who inherited a team in rock bottom position and who was not able to strengthen one tiny bit in his one window. 

That the team failed to cover itself in glory towards the end of the last season, and that's putting it mildly, is undeniable. The fact that the manger seemed incapable of averting this was more than  somewhat discouraging, but he's not going anywhere.

Continually carping on about his suitability or otherwise achieves nothing. 

He might well turn out to be a bad fit, but it's quite ridiculous to make that assumption this early in the piece.

Well, if you come into a club that has a DoF, you may get input into what kind of player you want, but recruitment is the ultimate responsibility of the DoF. (Admittedly, our DoF seems a bit semi-detached at the moment, but that's a different issue.)

I agree Smith's going nowhere, so I'll try to bite my tongue.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Weird in that Godfrey, Lewis, Idah and Omobamidele are all players brought through by Farke first. In fact, Farke liked Idah so much he kept him around the squad and tried to use him more, rather than loaning him out. Equally, Godfrey had been loaned out for several seasons and it was Farke that brought him back in, switched his position and essentially turned him into a player Everton wanted to splash out on.

I don't actually think Farke and Smith are worlds apart, Smith perhaps just wants a bit more balance than we got in terms of the athleticism and pace, under Farke. Even though both Webber and Farke said they wanted more pace and more physicality.

I agree, my feeling is that perhaps we were putting too many eggs in the 'we're going to outplay you' basket more recently though. In the u23s you had McAlear + Adshead (both 20) then Gibbs + Clarke (both 19) who are technical players that generally operate in the centre. They can't all play enough minutes for the u23s, and if we don't think the former are capable of adding anything new to the first team, I can see why we're amenable to them moving on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Hmm, his Wiki page makes interesting reading. Released by Sevilla after concerns about his discipline and training, then lasted less than a year with St Etienne before they released him after never getting a game. Also red carded in a friendly earlier in his career after kicking a Liverpool youth player who had to be stretchered off. Doesn’t sound like a player Farke would have entertained.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not the most trustworthy sourrce, but if true why are we going after releated players again?

Follow the money

Jed Wallace signs for WBA. Between him and Jon Swift they've added 42 championship goals/assists this summer, which isn't bad going, Dike should be back too which will make them quite dangerous IMO.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Jed Wallace signs for WBA. Between him and Jon Swift they've added 42 championship goals/assists this summer, which isn't bad going, Dike should be back too which will make them quite dangerous IMO.

Yes they're making some solid signings.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

I am not saying anything against the players as I know little about them, but if we signed Jed Wallace and Jon Swift this board would have gone into meltdown - preparing for a championship future etc!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I am not saying anything against the players as I know little about them, but if we signed Jed Wallace and Jon Swift this board would have gone into meltdown - preparing for a championship future etc!

For sure, even if you include a fully-fit Dike you'd have to say that forward line doesn't carry much hope in the PL.... but we aren't in the PL. Can't argue with the effectiveness at this level.

The only saving grace is that Steve Bruce is the manager.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

I think John Swift was mentioned many times on here as a possible. Obviously those, ITK, said no but I think WBA have made a couple of proven signings there.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think John Swift was mentioned many times on here as a possible. Obviously those, ITK, said no but I think WBA have made a couple of proven signings there.

WBA were surprisingly poor last season, I think they’ll be a lot better this time.  

On 22/06/2022 at 06:24, Dr Greenthumb said:

There hasnt been a Premiership for years.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Hmm, his Wiki page makes interesting reading. Released by Sevilla after concerns about his discipline and training, then lasted less than a year with St Etienne before they released him after never getting a game. Also red carded in a friendly earlier in his career after kicking a Liverpool youth player who had to be stretchered off. Doesn’t sound like a player Farke would have entertained.

We have been linked with him before, actually. Possibly last summer, or maybe in 2019? I remember his character being discussed as a problem the last time.

EDIT: It was 2019, discussed at length in the transfer thread that summer.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I'm sending my application in to Delia so that I can be Norwich's Scottish based scout. 😉

Sorry its not left-field enough, we're more interested in the Luxembourg league and Eastern European third divisions, for the 'kudos' and pats on the back our Sporting Director would get and then dine out on if we one day stumbled across an actual gem.

Heard the Andorran league is getting a scout, surely one of the 77000 people living there is a potential global megastar! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

"Son of a ****"

😂😂😂 

Screenshot_20220623-142750~2.png

So he could be a Nantes boy…

• Haha 3

Considering it’s going to be hard to him I think we will take under £10m but €3m is a complete and utter joke - isn’t even worth £2.6m at the moment 

10 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Considering it’s going to be hard to him I think we will take under £10m but €3m is a complete and utter joke - isn’t even worth £2.6m at the moment 

It is a decent conclusion and destination, at least we get some funds for the summer.