Terminally Yellow

Summer Transfer & Rumour Thread 2022

6 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I see Villa want to sell John McGinn that would be a great signing for us. 

Hate to break it to you but he's being sold to a top six team.  Was linked to Spurs and now United. He's not going down a divison, nevermind him being on around 60 to 70 grand a week

6 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I see Villa want to sell John McGinn that would be a great signing for us. 

Would be amazing but won't happen. He was linked with Liverpool and Man U last summer, if they sell him he'll be both miles out of our price range and probably have a queue of Premier League clubs after him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

That's disappointing, I thought there were high hopes for him. Maybe he'll work his way back up.

Very. We need to work on a proper pathway for these players as barely any of them seem to trouble the first team.

Updated my table to reflect Adshead moving on. As others have said disappointing - he was the lad whose Dad was a Norwich fan wasn't he?  He must be gutted.

image.thumb.png.0cbd4a5263b35942cfad949099604204.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

he was the lad whose Dad was a Norwich fan wasn't he? 

You’re thinking of the lad from Rochdale who went to Wolves, now in Scotland, can’t remember his name.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very. We need to work on a proper pathway for these players as barely any of them seem to trouble the first team.

I think the pathway to our first team is pretty excellent, it's a shame players don't make it but it reflects the reality that most won't. Adshead was signed with about 15 games of senior football under his belt and he presumably hasn't progressed enough since then.

2 minutes ago, repman said:

I think the pathway to our first team is pretty excellent, it's a shame players don't make it but it reflects the reality that most won't. Adshead was signed with about 15 games of senior football under his belt and he presumably hasn't progressed enough since then.

I'd argue the pathway for those who've been in our academy has been good but there seems to be an issue transitioning those who were in or around the first team of clubs at lower levels.

Adeshead now joins a list that includes Bushri, Fitzpatrick, Sitti, Abrahams and others in struggling to make this transition. I'm hoping Clarke and Gibbs are the ones to break it.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd argue the pathway for those who've been in our academy has been good but there seems to be an issue transitioning those who were in or around the first team of clubs at lower levels.

Adeshead now joins a list that includes Bushri, Fitzpatrick, Sitti, Abrahams and others in struggling to make this transition. I'm hoping Clarke and Gibbs are the ones to break it.

To be fair, you could argue those are always small financial punts in the hope of getting one to become a Maddison in financial terms.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, you could argue those are always small financial punts in the hope of getting one to become a Maddison in financial terms.

Yeah you can make that argument, I'd just think after 5 years you'd expect to see one of them make a bit of an impact. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hate to break it to you but he's being sold to a top six team.  Was linked to Spurs and now United. He's not going down a divison, nevermind him being on around 60 to 70 grand a week

A man can dream, maybe he just really loves Dean smith 🤷‍♂️😂

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't know exactly how the club do it. But all of Lewis, Aarons, Idah and Omobamidele joined the club when they were 16. 3 of the 4 made their debuts when they were 18 and Lewis was 19. What's likely is that those 4 are simply better players than the ones we sign slightly later. We sign them on the off chance that they slipped through the cracks. They also help fill out the under 23 team, to a better standard than what we may have in house, which in time will help every player improve.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah you can make that argument, I'd just think after 5 years you'd expect to see one of them make a bit of an impact. 

I know it was ages ago, but Godfrey came from that route. Of our current crop, I have high hopes that Bali Mumba could make it.

I think we've been a bit spoilt with the successes of Godfrey, Aarons, Maddison etc. It would be interesting to compare equivalent signings from other clubs at a comparable level and see how they've got on.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Idah, Omobamidele, were signed in the last 5 yrs I believe. Lewis and Aarons perhaps just before.

Though I believe the complaint before was we were getting nothing for them and losing them on a free. Now we're getting fees.

This season we could have almost fielded an 11 of academy graduates.

Gunn, Aarons, Omobamidele, Tomkinson, Rowe, Gibbs, Cantwell, Springett, Idah...

Not bad.

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Idah, Omobamidele, were signed in the last 5 yrs I believe. Lewis and Aarons perhaps just before.

Though I believe the complaint before was we were getting nothing for them and losing them on a free. Now we're getting fees.

Not bad.

Exactly this.

I don't think the pathway is the problem. I think us consistently getting promoted to the Prem instantly makes it incredibly difficult for these prospects to get near the first team. 

Equally, if our academy prospects like Rowe and Springett develop quicker than those out on loan then we still win either way. There might be an argument that we're not finding the right loan moves for these players but it's a difficult market where clubs lower down have less than no money and don't want to gamble on punts.

30 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not bad.

All the players listed were those signed while still around 16 at the latest so spent a couple of years in our academy.

We have a specific policy of hoovering up players in the 18-20 age bracket with a bit of first team experience that runs somewhat separately to our standard academy recruitment where we've struggled to get these players involved. The positive view is if we sign 20 of these players for about £300k and then one is a hit and is sold for £15m+ then great, and I do get that. However it doesn't really seem to be working right now for a variety of factors and longer term I'm not sure it is a policy that will bear fruit.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I think that it is the same "funnel" that you see in player development from promising late-teen prospect to fully developed player. There is a far higher percentage that don't make it than do, but the profit made on those that do, outweighs the costs of those that don't.

In this case anyway, it is a decent move for the player, keeping him in league football and at an age when he could still prove us wrong.

Reiss Nelson on a season loan with option to buy if we go back up anyone? Fringes of the England squad to fringes of the Arsenal squad...he'd be one of the better players here so confidence would rise. I think he's everything we need plus a natural right midfield/winger, something we currently have zero of.

Arsenal are apparently looking at loan options. 

Plus he's my pal cousin so I'd get free tickets. 🙌🏼

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

Reiss Nelson on a season loan with option to buy if we go back up anyone? Fringes of the England squad to fringes of the Arsenal squad...he'd be one of the better players here so confidence would rise. I think he's everything we need plus a natural right midfield/winger, something we currently have zero of.

Arsenal are apparently looking at loan options. 

Plus he's my pal cousin so I'd get free tickets. 🙌🏼

He's a proper n*bber this guy. He lives round the corner from me. Anything to get him to move would be good, however I suspect he is a bit beyond us even on loan.

On 20/06/2022 at 13:57, Captain Holt said:

Paddy saying that he'd be surprised if NCFC spent 3 or 4m on a single signing this window....🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Excluding the loan to buy deals that is pretty much what we were spending last time in the Championship. In the first Farke promotion our signings were on average even cheaper.

Also £10m fees seem to have been our limit in the Premier League right now so I'm not really sure what you're expecting.

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Pretty sure the strategy is indeed to take small punts on players with a bit of potential with small profits in mind. If one breaks the first team then great but we're not signing 5+ youngsters a season for the first team.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

All the players listed were those signed while still around 16 at the latest so spent a couple of years in our academy.

We have a specific policy of hoovering up players in the 18-20 age bracket with a bit of first team experience that runs somewhat separately to our standard academy recruitment where we've struggled to get these players involved. The positive view is if we sign 20 of these players for about £300k and then one is a hit and is sold for £15m+ then great, and I do get that. However it doesn't really seem to be working right now for a variety of factors and longer term I'm not sure it is a policy that will bear fruit.

I don't think we have a "specific policy" other than we look for potential talent we can afford to bring in.

And typically what I see on here is lots of assumption, guesswork and occasionally dismissal of other views when it doesn't align. Not necessarily you but certainly has been the case with others. When it comes to figures. By and large the majority of youngsters we sign are free having been released by former teams. Matthew Dennis is a good example (we didn't pay anything for Martin either did we?). Signed for nothing, sold for money, after loans.

As for wages, the majority of these players will be on very little in comparison to a first team regular. I doubt any of them are on £20kpw... perhaps not even a tenth of that. So the idea another team couldn't pay their wages... or even a loan fee.

Might be worth suggesting it as a topic of conversation for the journo's. In reality, the bit people forget about though is their contribution. If Cantwell leaves for nothing, he's still been a part of two promotions to the premier league which in turn has impacted on the profit the club has received and funds to invest in the rest of the team and club.

When you look at it like that, how much have players such as him, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Idah, Omobamidele, Martin etc given in terms of that aspect?

Sure there are some that don't work out. Bushiri, possibly Famewo. However, you also have to take into account the general success rate, which isn't that high. 

Might I suggest as well that our recruitment strategy has evolved having moved on from Farke. 

The signings for our youth sides are meant to match the profile of those in the first team, to help aid transition. Perhaps DS and Shakespeare with their experience have identified good ball players but not capable of physically competing at the top level (much like the first team) so we're amenable to them moving on now.

Godfrey, Lewis and latterly Omobamidele + Idah are more athlete-first, footballer second. I think this will be the model for young players we target now.

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

He's a proper n*bber this guy. He lives round the corner from me. Anything to get him to move would be good, however I suspect he is a bit beyond us even on loan.

ha! I've heard he's "a very nice boy", but it is his cousin.

From The Mirror so pinch of salt but we're desperate for a RM/RW https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-loan-transfer-championship-patino-27288795

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Might I suggest as well that our recruitment strategy has evolved having moved on from Farke. 

The signings for our youth sides are meant to match the profile of those in the first team, to help aid transition. Perhaps DS and Shakespeare with their experience have identified good ball players but not capable of physically competing at the top level (much like the first team) so we're amenable to them moving on now.

Godfrey, Lewis and latterly Omobamidele + Idah are more athlete-first, footballer second. I think this will be the model for young players we target now.

Weird in that Godfrey, Lewis, Idah and Omobamidele are all players brought through by Farke first. In fact, Farke liked Idah so much he kept him around the squad and tried to use him more, rather than loaning him out. Equally, Godfrey had been loaned out for several seasons and it was Farke that brought him back in, switched his position and essentially turned him into a player Everton wanted to splash out on.

I don't actually think Farke and Smith are worlds apart, Smith perhaps just wants a bit more balance than we got in terms of the athleticism and pace, under Farke. Even though both Webber and Farke said they wanted more pace and more physicality.