Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Is Tzolis simply in the wrong position?

As a winger he just looks all sorts of wrong, with the main problem being that he just isn't a fast runner over more than a few yards (bit weird isn't it, declaring him one of Europe's best wingers when he's got no pace).

We do however know that he can finish, and he's capable of a keeping the ball in tight spaces and a bit of link up play.

Is he just a second striker / deep lying forward / number 10, like Dean Windass with a bit more finesse? Sorry but that's the best example I can come up with, because he just simply looks like he's built like Dean Windass, about as slow as Dean Windass and about as fit as Dean Windass.

17 years after we first tried, have we finally filled that Dean Windass sized crater?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

As a winger he just looks all sorts of wrong, with the main problem being that he just isn't a fast runner over more than a few yards (bit weird isn't it, declaring him one of Europe's best wingers when he's got no pace).

We do however know that he can finish, and he's capable of a keeping the ball in tight spaces and a bit of link up play.

Is he just a second striker / deep lying forward / number 10, like Dean Windass with a bit more finesse? Sorry but that's the best example I can come up with, because he just simply looks like he's built like Dean Windass, about as slow as Dean Windass and about as fit as Dean Windass.

17 years after we first tried, have we finally filled that Dean Windass sized crater?

Is that the Dean Windass of when we tried to sign him or of now?🤓

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Is that the Dean Windass of when we tried to sign him or of now?🤓

The difference between the two Dean Windass's probably isn't too great is it?

• Haha 1

I do wish people would leave off Tzolis.  Plainly had a difficult time since he came to the UK and needs time to take stock, get fully fit and mentally right so he can show us the undoubted talent he has. That should be next season, so with a fully confident player, we can reap the benefits of having someone who can turn a game at any time.

And you don't need great pace to be brilliant if your mind is quick, as several top players have shown over the years. Just let him settle and play in a slightly less pressurised league where he will have a bit more time to show us what he can do.

• Like 1

I want Tzolis to succeed....I know he played well against Bournemouth's rag, tag an' bobtail squad but I was hopeful that he'd be an important addition to our squad....I'm still hopeful.....

I'm quietly confident that Tzolis will work out as our best signing of that otherwise terrible transfer window. Maybe this is simply because I've watched the others play for an entire season so they've given me ample opportunity to observe just how poor they are while Tzolis is still relatively unknown.

I'm looking forward to us eventually settling on an attacking midfield trio of Cantwell, Dowell and Tzolis. 

I seem to remember Tzolis being our best performer in the first half against Arsenal early on in the season.  As I've said in another thread, it's a confidence thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I'm quietly confident that Tzolis will work out as our best signing of that otherwise terrible transfer window. Maybe this is simply because I've watched the others play for an entire season so they've given me ample opportunity to observe just how poor they are while Tzolis is still relatively unknown.

I'm looking forward to us eventually settling on an attacking midfield trio of Cantwell, Dowell and Tzolis. 

I don’t think Cantwell will make it back in terms of first team. I want him to, but I think his Dean Smith ship has sailed. 

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Er No! And which of those three is going to provide any workrate or physical contribution? 

5 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I seem to remember Tzolis being our best performer in the first half against Arsenal early on in the season.  As I've said in another thread, it's a confidence thing.

Get him playing against Kings lynn and peterborough in pre season, once he get's his confidence back and starts getting regular gametime I feel he has the potential to tear apart the championship. What was it Farke said about him? 'Has the potential to become one of the best wingers in Europe'?

I Get the settling in , low  confidence , getting used to English game 

But for someone who was talked about as having so much  potential and had experience in europe and international  

would it really take a whole season to play in a terrible 1st team ?

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Get him playing against Kings lynn and peterborough in pre season, once he get's his confidence back and starts getting regular gametime I feel he has the potential to tear apart the championship. What was it Farke said about him? 'Has the potential to become one of the best wingers in Europe'?

After believing we’d turned a corner last summer with recruitment having listened to Webber and Farke, and all which has transpired since, im less likely to believe any of the hyperbole which comes out of Carra now.

Never mind Everest, Webber’s got a mountain to climb to win many of the fans back over.

• Like 1

He needs a run of games, I generally cannot even remember how pacy he is, given how little he has played. 
hopefully he comes good. Danjuma didn’t get a sniff in the prem at Bournemouth and now look at him!

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He needs a run of games, I generally cannot even remember how pacy he is, given how little he has played. 
hopefully he comes good. Danjuma didn’t get a sniff in the prem at Bournemouth and now look at him!

I don't think he's actually that quick from the times I've seen him. Or at least he hasn't shown it. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Danjuma didn’t get a sniff in the prem at Bournemouth and now look at him!

It's not as though Emi had blistering pace either.

• Like 1

Tzolis is a strongish runner with a low center of gravity but not a fast one. Not sure we'll get the best out of him in a 433 but if we stick with 4231 he could certainly play off wings like Cantwell and Buendia did.

There is something there with Tzolis and i do think he will come good if given the chance or if he does't want to hot foot it back to Greece.

Even though he's not played well, he has at least tended to make things happen when he has been on the pitch. I think back to our game at Newcastle when he was hooked at half time and was regarded to have had a poor game but he still actually forced their keeper into a couple of saves and laid one on a plate that sargent somehow managed to miss from about a yard.

I tend to agree with the OP. He's not a conventional winger. He'd more of a Cantwell/Dowell type player who I think could do well anywhere in the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 formation. 

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

I don’t think Cantwell will make it back in terms of first team. I want him to, but I think his Dean Smith ship has sailed. 

Well its certainly an interesting/watershed moment in his career. I don't see anyone buying him based on how he's performed this season. He's out of contract next summer. Difficult one for all concerned but you'd like to think that if Smith is a good man manager he'd sit him down, offer him a clean slate and try and gte him back to something approaching his previous level. because if we can't sell him this summer we may as well try and benefit from him next season, that is unless he's really disruptive behind the scenes. 

I feel sorry for the lad. Built up to be the next star, he hasn't had the chance for us to see if he has the talent they say he has. He came into a team permanently on the back foot, nearly always a goal or two behind and his chances were limited to "get on the pitch and do something".

Some players get chance after chance because "they can run about a lot and did score three seasons ago so are due one" and their physicality was as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

At Championship level a front 4 of Pukki, Tzolis, Dowell and Rashica could actually be pretty exciting. Very well balanced.

As for the Tzolis ship having sailed with Smith. I think he's actually been kept out of the limelight a touch by Smith. The fact he's been coming off the bench recently makes me think he's being built up for next season.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-christos-tzolis-dean-smith-message-8713822

And why does he have to be a winger? Is Sterling a winger? Is Foden? Is Grealish? Surely we have to look past he plays where his shirt number says.

His bustling nature reminds me of Gascoigne. But his confidence and stature would need to be upped considerably. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I do wish people would leave off Tzolis.  Plainly had a difficult time since he came to the UK and needs time to take stock, get fully fit and mentally right so he can show us the undoubted talent he has. That should be next season, so with a fully confident player, we can reap the benefits of having someone who can turn a game at any time.

And you don't need great pace to be brilliant if your mind is quick, as several top players have shown over the years. Just let him settle and play in a slightly less pressurised league where he will have a bit more time to show us what he can do.

I’ve seen no one critical of him as a person, it’s more the insanity of signing a player for so much of our budget, for so little impact. In terms of this PL season the fee was totally wasted.  We can only hope that he stays and we reap some benefit next season. 

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No, he's ****.

What is f****** wrong with our fans. Having a go at a young player, in his first f****** season abroad after a difficult f****** season generally.

Honestly, I give up.

39 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

What is f****** wrong with our fans. Having a go at a young player, in his first f****** season abroad after a difficult f****** season generally.

Honestly, I give up.

Not only that, but a player who (I think, if my memory serves me correctly) has had one full league game this season, started a couple of others and been yanked at half-time, plus a handful of fifteen-minute cameos at the end of matches.

• Thanks 1

He's also come from playing for a mostly dominant PAOK in the Greek league to playing for a mostly steamrollered City in the Prem/Cups. Given a run next season should show whether he's up to it or not. 

Hopefully he will be.

Apples 

Given that at the moment, the other choices are Hernandez and Pepe , he should be given a run of games , he at least looks as if he understands what foitball is about....even if this season passed him by somewhat.  As part of a rotating 3 in a 4231he should, i say should , be able to show what he is capable of .....in the Champs, whether that will be enough  is anybodys guess. I'd Play him from now till the end of  the season, jyst to get some co.petitive yards under his belt. And please lads, give him a chance.