Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chichcan

Cantwell coming back

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, lake district canary said:

He simply needs to get his head down and work hard, not expect to get games, but to fight to get games by training as hard as possible and forcing his way into the team that way.  I would not be against seeing him play for us again - but only if he is fully focussed - and I don't think our manager or the fans would put up with anything less.  In reality, probably best for him to move elsewhere to kickstart his career.

Hi Lakey, don’t disagree with your comments.

But it does seem to echo the issues with Stuart Webber. 
 

We are now looking for one of better players and our Sporting Director to show some commitment or to move on. Rather depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Todd Cantwell - the next David Bentley? In so far as he's undoubtedly talented but lacks the drive to fulfil his potential.

I hadn’t thought of this…. But it is a good take on things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Hi Lakey, don’t disagree with your comments.

But it does seem to echo the issues with Stuart Webber.

We are now looking for one of better players and our Sporting Director to show some commitment or to move on. Rather depressing.

Don't think we should be too down about it, it is what it is and just part of people trying to find themselves. Cantwell, his footballing feet and Webber and what he does next to fulfil himself.  Both could be said to be a bit narcissistic, but we all have to find ourselves in one way or another, these two are just doing it from within a large public view.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 02/05/2022 at 21:40, Petriix said:

I'll never understand the vitriol towards Todd. As far as I can tell his only crimes have been to have long hair, post on social media and lose form. All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

My supposition is that his confidence took a battering because his position was removed from our system and, in the handful of chances he was given, he was so completely bereft of support from the worst rabble of midfielders in the league that he simply couldn't figure out how he was supposed to play.

Cantwell is the biggest victim of the inexplicable change to the 4-3-3. His strengths lie in rapid transitions from defence to attack. He's great at picking up the ball and moving it forward or pulling defenders out of position to create space for the other attackers to exploit. He's not so good at holding the ball up under pressure when outnumbered, or chasing hopeful punts into the channels.

Had we sold him and kept Buendia but otherwise made the same changes to our system then I speculate that we'd probably have suffered a similar fate. Anyone could lose focus when given an impossible job - look, I'm not claiming that he's as good as Buendia, just that he had no chance with the utter dross he was working with.

I don't understand why Rashica is given a free pass but Cantwell is given soo much stick. The former has played the whole season with just one (deflected) goal whilst failing to create any understanding with Pukki. If Cantwell had been given the same run in the team, I'm certain that he'd have contributed more.

It's nothing short of idiocy to write him off completely, especially when we've now reverted to playing the system he excelled in and will be playing back at the lower level that was more suited to his ability. 

Todd's ommission was regularly used as a stick to beat Daniel Farke over the head with at the start of the season which can only have added to the difficulties at the start of the season, yet his subsequent performances elsewhere vindicate Farke's decision-making, so if he turns good then great, but otherwise I don't really have much interest in him. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2022 at 18:29, Canary dwarf said:

What a shame  had the potential to be a top player , but I said a couple of years ago he's gonna either end up at real Madrid or Tranmere rovers and I know what looking more likely now.😢

That would be good, they’re my local team and I’ve been thinking of going to see them. (Tranmere, not Real).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Best thing he could do now is just go and play football overseas, enjoy himself, USA or Australia?

Will need to stop spending his money like he's a Man Utd player though, get in the real world. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Todd Cantwell - the next David Bentley? In so far as he's undoubtedly talented but lacks the drive to fulfil his potential.

Michael Johnson might be another good example. 

Talented but struggled to cope with fame.

Should be noted though that both Johnson and Bentley have been successful in starting businesses with their football money. 

Cantwell drives a Lambo and uses private jets. Does he have the emotionally maturity to walk away from the game with a decent amount of money so he can attempt similar? 

This one year extension he's been given might be his lifeline, if he is wise he'll bank it all for a life post-football, because at the minute its just not happening for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Bournemouth's season over I suppose Todd could be involved against the 'Ammers 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/05/2022 at 15:40, Petriix said:

I'll never understand the vitriol towards Todd. As far as I can tell his only crimes have been to have long hair, post on social media and lose form. All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

My supposition is that his confidence took a battering because his position was removed from our system and, in the handful of chances he was given, he was so completely bereft of support from the worst rabble of midfielders in the league that he simply couldn't figure out how he was supposed to play.

Cantwell is the biggest victim of the inexplicable change to the 4-3-3. His strengths lie in rapid transitions from defence to attack. He's great at picking up the ball and moving it forward or pulling defenders out of position to create space for the other attackers to exploit. He's not so good at holding the ball up under pressure when outnumbered, or chasing hopeful punts into the channels.

Had we sold him and kept Buendia but otherwise made the same changes to our system then I speculate that we'd probably have suffered a similar fate. Anyone could lose focus when given an impossible job - look, I'm not claiming that he's as good as Buendia, just that he had no chance with the utter dross he was working with.

I don't understand why Rashica is given a free pass but Cantwell is given soo much stick. The former has played the whole season with just one (deflected) goal whilst failing to create any understanding with Pukki. If Cantwell had been given the same run in the team, I'm certain that he'd have contributed more.

It's nothing short of idiocy to write him off completely, especially when we've now reverted to playing the system he excelled in and will be playing back at the lower level that was more suited to his ability. 

Petriix yet again talking the most sense in a thread. The change in system killed Todd's game as we were clearly going for pacy get in behind wingers, which Todd isn't. The 433 was a disaster and I can't help but think 4231 with Farke in charge all year might have given us the best of Todd and a better chance of staying up. That or we get a load of brick sugar houses in and punt it long.

I made a comment at the start of the year that for us to stay up, Todd had to have a good season and if he didn't we had no chance. Unfortunately he didn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

 

 

Me me me.

Not sure he can take any credit for their promotion but he can be blamed to our certain extent for our relegation.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Petriix yet again talking the most sense in a thread. The change in system killed Todd's game as we were clearly going for pacy get in behind wingers, which Todd isn't. The 433 was a disaster and I can't help but think 4231 with Farke in charge all year might have given us the best of Todd and a better chance of staying up. That or we get a load of brick sugar houses in and punt it long.

I made a comment at the start of the year that for us to stay up, Todd had to have a good season and if he didn't we had no chance. Unfortunately he didn't.

If Dean Smith and others thought there was any realistic chance of him succeeding again here, why did they agree to an £11m option to buy clause with Bournemouth?

That is considerably less than was being talked about when he was a regular starter. Just feels to me like they consider him to be a lost cause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Me me me.

Not sure he can take any credit for their promotion but he can be blamed to our certain extent for our relegation.

Some of the comments / replies to his tweet are interesting too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Some of the comments / replies to his tweet are interesting too. 

Congratulating him on his contribution towards promotion? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Congratulating him on his contribution towards promotion? 

 

 

image.png.bc273877ade10657fd7bcbdb662986d8.png

But in the interest of balance...............
image.png.d8c785510476d93496fe8ede143aaab7.png
 

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He really doesn't help himself. No doubt his next step will be reinventing himself as a renaissance man, quoting from the 6th former's guide to the philosophers and buying some specs a la Joey Barton.

Sadly, the rift is now too big and it's better for everyone if he just moves on.

Apples

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Me me me.

Not sure he can take any credit for their promotion but he can be blamed to our certain extent for our relegation.

He doesn't do himself any favours with his twitter stuff and congratulating himself on another promotion - his comments just rub salt into the wounds. How much was his contribution for us this season?  How much was his contribution to Bn'mth?  Not a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His opening words - Promotion was the target, promotion was achieved, makes me laugh, we wasn't there when they set the target (although I would expect recently relegated teams to all have that as their target) so he wasn't part of that. They have been promoted to the league he WAS in, but couldn't get a team place, so if he stays with us he has gone backwards, if he signs for them (doubtful) he has at best stagnated. PErsonally I think he will return to us, and be sold for less than the reported £11M B'mff had 'agreed'

Hes only had bit part appearances, and not even those recently, so not even much of a part for their promotion. 

Congratulate the team by all means, and show respect, but dont post something self centred. And he wonders why people dont warm to him.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very disturbing that sad people could write that kind of stuff .... does confirm for certain that social media has nothing to offer Todd that would help him to play football to his potential.     I do wish he would close it down and focus on football, surely he might find peace and fulfillment that way...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good player but I doubt he’ll play for us again. Who knows, maybe they like him behind the scenes at B’Mouth enough to buy him. He might put in a shift in the Prem. Norwich, either way, should move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Good player but I doubt he’ll play for us again. Who knows, maybe they like him behind the scenes at B’Mouth enough to buy him. He might put in a shift in the Prem. Norwich, either way, should move on.

Agreed - Strange thought, If either of those happen  he will be viewed as another academy success, despite his more recent behaviour for NCFC.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Agreed - Strange thought, If either of those happen  he will be viewed as another academy success, despite his more recent behaviour for NCFC.  

If you think about it sensibly, then yeah I’d agree with that. Shame many of our fans won’t think so though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

 

 

Ooooft Todd that is absolute cringe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Ooooft Todd that is absolute cringe. 

I think he is in the camp of any publicity is good publicity, Even self promotion. the more the better!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*sniff, smiff* - is that another bridge I smell burning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

image.png.0c2245613174cea7cc98494a4387a612.png

Sure he meant "You're", of course.  But that's a bit telling on where he thinks his future lies.

Also, with the capital Y at the start means he's gone in and edited what was there originally and his device has auto-capitilsed, so could be very deliberate use of wording.

They call me Columbo, you know.

Edited by Google Bot
Underlined "Your" Cause I'm epic, innit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

But that's a bit telling on where he thinks his future lies.

or maybe because he is just there on loan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

 

image.png.bc273877ade10657fd7bcbdb662986d8.png

But in the interest of balance...............
image.png.d8c785510476d93496fe8ede143aaab7.png
 

The negative comments seem to be mainly if not all Norwich fans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

or maybe because he is just there on loan? 

Interesting that you started that sentence with lowercase...  The Columbo in me is aroused.

Edited by Google Bot
Removed inappropriate remark aimed at a fellow poster. ...(or did I?)
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Petriix yet again talking the most sense in a thread. The change in system killed Todd's game as we were clearly going for pacy get in behind wingers, which Todd isn't. The 433 was a disaster and I can't help but think 4231 with Farke in charge all year might have given us the best of Todd and a better chance of staying up. That or we get a load of brick sugar houses in and punt it long.

I made a comment at the start of the year that for us to stay up, Todd had to have a good season and if he didn't we had no chance. Unfortunately he didn't.

I can’t agree when you are now talking 3 managers who aren’t even putting him on the pitch.

Whatever the problem with Todd is, it’s not specific to either the tactics or management of one manager - if Farke thought that 4231 would get the best out of Todd he would have played it. The fact he missed so much training and looked like he wasn’t fit enough when he did get a chance said it all. Even the players out with long term injuries have looked fitter when coming back. 

I like Todd, I think he is a good player, but 3 wasted opportunities with new managers show that it’s clearly a problem with him rather than the club or a specific person. We need to stop ignoring the obvious to excuse him.

Edited by Jambomo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...