Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Zema - is it all over?

Whilst I feel very sorry for Zema that he is now out for the whole season, is his career now effectively over?

Getting back from one knee injury is bad enough - but twice - and both knees - and out of contract next summer - I don''t think we''ll be seeing much more of him.

Do the club carry insurance policies for this type of thing to cover wages, medical expenses etc whilst a player is out for so long - or does it just come out of the ''player budget''?

Its very hard on players in this situation, and the club are right to support him through this, but the time will come when a decision has to be made, and sentimentality can''t come into it.

I''m sure Zema won''t be the last player to suffer this, so good luck to him - he''s going to need it.

He''ll almost certainly go in my opinion. Abbey is 26 already (27 by the time he plays again, if we''re lucky) and it would be a massive gamble to offer a new contract to him. Of course Worthy''s making all the right noises about sticking with him, keeping him involved, protecting him from the media etc., but of course he''s going to say that. In our financial situation, I just can''t see how we could justify re-contracting him; he will have spent two whole years out with injury and scored only a few goals for us. That''s the harsh reality of the situation, and it''s a horrible thing to happen, but we''ve still got to run a business... Don''t get me wrong, I like Zema as a player, and I would love to see him recover and earn a new contract, but I just can''t see it happening.

Having said that though, look at Notman; only one goal for Norwich, out for a year with injury, and he could be making a comeback soon... let''s keep our fingers crossed for both of them!

Perhaps the most worrying aspect of it all is that there appears to be a curse on our strikers of really bad, career threatening injuries;

Darren Eadie (ok, not strictly a striker, but.....)
Craig Bellamy
Gaetano Giallanza
Alex Notman
Zema Abbey (twice)

see what i mean?

I doubt Zema will ever wear the beloved yellow and green again.

I think that Worthy will stick by him and his injury to maintain squad morale, but unless we get promoted i don''t think we can justify paying the wages of someone who has been at Norwich for 3 years and done effectively nothing.

Exactly the same as Gillianza. Out for bloody ages, Worthy kept him on the books during his inury, but couldn''t justify keeping him on in Div 1.

Unlucky for Zema, and I hope he does recover well and quickly

I think it''s a shame, Zema was obviously bought as a raw talent who could develop into a good striker for us. Sadly, the first injury came just as he was starting to show some of that potential, and since then he''s struggled to find any momentum. No-one likes to see a player have such bad luck (except maybe Kevin Muscat), but I think the best thing to do now would be to stand by him through his injury, then let him step down a division to a level where I think he will be more of a threat.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]Perhaps the most worrying aspect of it all is that there appears to be a curse on our strikers of really bad, career threatening injuries;

Darren Eadie (ok, not strictly a striker, but.....)
Craig Bellamy
Gaetano Giallanza
Alex Notman
Zema Abbey (twice)

see what i mean?[/quote]

Add Earnshaw to the list?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

why the hell are 3 year old posts being dragged up?

jas :)

[/quote]

It''s called looking back at the good times [:D]