Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

The Quantum of Tzolis

Looking to the future, what do we forsee happening to Tzolis next season?

If he is still here come August he'll have been in the country for a year, though playing very little football (cant see how that has been good for his development - surprised we didnt consider loaning him back to Greece for the second part of the season given he has been used about as much as Cantwell).

A number of our foreign players did seem more comfortable in their second season, so do we anticipate that given a year of acclimitisation and a drop in league, Tzolis will be a first team player for us in the Championship?

For a player alleged to have the potential to be one of the best wingers in the world he needs to be making the right steps in his development - it seems difficult to see how warming the bench with us for a year and playing only the occasional U23 game was anything other than a wasted year for him, but if he comes racing out of the blocks next season acclimatised to English football then maybe it will have been.

Will we look to loan him? Will we look to cut our losses and sell him back to Greece? Greek special 2 for 1 deal with Giannoulis?

Will he still be considered one for the future and kept in the first team squad but not played?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

We can’t loan him as he’s the full-time albatross across Webber’s neck for the remainder of either’s time here. 

He certainly isn't looking anywhere close to having the potential for being one of Europe's top wingers. He hasn't really shown enough to suggest he will be a good enough championship winger but fingers crossed he proves me wrong if given the opportunity.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

He certainly isn't looking anywhere close to having the potential for being one of Europe's top wingers. He hasn't really shown enough to suggest he will be a good enough championship winger but fingers crossed he proves me wrong if given the opportunity.

There is big difference in not being trusted in the Premiership to hold shape and what will be asked of him in the championship.

He will either push through a move back to Greece for a third of what we spent or stick it out and he slays it in the championship. This isn’t based on anything other than a refusal to believe he is rubbish.

6 hours ago, hogesar said:

Well, first he has to be played, and not just ten minutes at the end of games, or a game here and there. Now that we're officially down, we have four games to try out not only Tzolis, but Sorensen, Rowe, perhaps even a couple of the under-23s. Give them the same amount of time that was given to Sargent for some reason, even though he looked comically inept at times, and the loan players, even though they won't be with us in the future. 

EDIT: Nothing to lose now except hope, and I will lose hope if the line-up for West Ham features Gilmour, Normann, Williams yet again.

Edited by canarybubbles

18 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

A headline looking for a story if ever I saw one…🤣🤣👌

Parma 

It is top punning that's for sure.😀

Dimi ripped it up in the championship last season so if he stays I wouldn’t be too concerned about him,  although if I was in his position I would definitely be looking for a move away after his treatment this season. 

As for Tzolis, Webber and Farke have always taken the line that he was a future project, so assume that is still the case I would be very keen to see what he can do in the championship. He looked decent in the cup games against championship opposition before the whole penaltygate incident 

May be out of Tzolis’ hands….
It may be more about Dean Smith!   If he (and the club) are that desperate for another promotion, they will bottle the development model, it will be a half-hearted approach where the likes of McLean and loans continue to get in the way.

Personally, hope they show some longer-term aims, be brave and give plenty of the kids opportunity including Tzolis!    If they don’t, can only see the current divide between club and the fans widening!   

The next team sheet may give some clues as to how brave and forward thinking this manager actually is!    At this stage, I fear we are stuck in the headlights!

I think we should start him for the rest of the season, see if he can pinch a Premier League goal that sees him end the season with a bit of confidence, or do something that might give fans a sense that there might  be player in there. May at least do a couple of things which can be added to his agency highlight reel when we attempt to claw a bit of cash back.

29 minutes ago, AJ said:

Dimi ripped it up in the championship last season so if he stays I wouldn’t be too concerned about him,  although if I was in his position I would definitely be looking for a move away after his treatment this season. 

As for Tzolis, Webber and Farke have always taken the line that he was a future project, so assume that is still the case I would be very keen to see what he can do in the championship. He looked decent in the cup games against championship opposition before the whole penaltygate incident 

Webber didn't actually say that he was one for the future until after his first few appearances,  when it was clear he wasn't good enough  to make an impact at this level.

• Like 3

Screenshot_20220502-085718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.50def52d49c9557b2983891119fd7b64.jpg

Nice debating with you last night but now you're just commiting plagiarism 😁

Ugh, hate being that guy dredging up old posts but was so proud of the pun when I thought of it, and crushed when it simply went by unnoticed!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

Feel like the "best winger his age in Europe" line was more smoke and mirrors to try and get the fan base a little excited about a player. 

6 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Screenshot_20220502-085718_Chrome.thumb.jpg.50def52d49c9557b2983891119fd7b64.jpg

Ugh, hate being that guy dredging up old posts but was so proud of the pun when I thought of it, and crushed when it simply went by unnoticed!

https://youtube.com/shorts/4ZywEIIdKO0?

Edited by cornish sam
Trying to embed the video

Trying to think of other Norwich/bond crossovers. I doubt anything will beat the thread title. 

The best/worst I could come up with is You Onel live twice 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

🤣 exactly.

I tried to let it go but these people simply have to be called out for what they are. They need to realise they're destroying lives.

The Great Mass Debater- well I'm certainly coming for you

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Feel like the "best winger his age in Europe" line was more smoke and mirrors to try and get the fan base a little excited about a player. 

Seems as true as Norwich being the best team to be relegated last time.

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Webber didn't actually say that he was one for the future until after his first few appearances,  when it was clear he wasn't good enough  to make an impact at this level.

A few comments from an interview Webber gave to the Pinkun on Oct 28:

“The facts are we have been very ambitious, compared to our competitors, and at the minute we are under-achieving,” said Webber

"Two years ago we were miles off, we were not good enough. And I know people can look at the performances at the minute and go, ‘Well, it does not look much difference,’ and I probably sound like an idiot. But this time around the approach we took in the transfer market was very different. We have got a squad together full of internationals."

“If people want to say that I do not think it is harsh, but I definitely think it's too early,” said City’s sporting director. “All three of them have come from foreign countries. One of them is 19. Another one is 21. These are young players. Normally we have our 19 year olds on loan in League One or lower. 

"To expect Christos to be playing every week in the Premier League, he was not bought for that. He has incredible potential, and potential needs time to nurture itself. Can he come through and make a big impact this season? Yes, but that is not an expectation on him and the price tag on him is not his fault. That should not bring any more pressure on him."

Well, which was it SW? Were we ambitious this year or were we not?

I'd feel a lot happier if he'd been sent on loan in January to get minutes on the pitch. Whether there's a story behind that who knows.

He didn't even make the bench Saturday so if we see nothing of him for the rest of the season then I don't think he'll be here next.

4 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Seems as true as Norwich being the best team to be relegated last time.

To be fair that was coined by Danny Murphy on MOTD pre-pandemic when we did actually look full of life and potential... I think that tag was very quickly removed after Project Restart

29 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Plagiarism abound is nothing new around these parts…

31 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Trying to think of other Norwich/bond crossovers. I doubt anything will beat the thread title. 

Tricky but fair to say Cantwell is very much Dr No thanks 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Looking to the future, what do we forsee happening to Tzolis next season?

If he is still here come August he'll have been in the country for a year, though playing very little football (cant see how that has been good for his development - surprised we didnt consider loaning him back to Greece for the second part of the season given he has been used about as much as Cantwell).

A number of our foreign players did seem more comfortable in their second season, so do we anticipate that given a year of acclimitisation and a drop in league, Tzolis will be a first team player for us in the Championship?

For a player alleged to have the potential to be one of the best wingers in the world he needs to be making the right steps in his development - it seems difficult to see how warming the bench with us for a year and playing only the occasional U23 game was anything other than a wasted year for him, but if he comes racing out of the blocks next season acclimatised to English football then maybe it will have been.

Will we look to loan him? Will we look to cut our losses and sell him back to Greece? Greek special 2 for 1 deal with Giannoulis?

Will he still be considered one for the future and kept in the first team squad but not played?

We won't sell him, no chance. A loan back to Greece is a possibility, but hopefully he gets some confidence and hits the ground running in the champ. No matter what he can't be any worse than Placheta who hasn't managed to go past a full back in 2 years.

I'm not sure if he'll come good, but he just looks, certainly in physicality like a semi pro player every time I've seen him. 

I'm sure Webber has the theme from The Spy Who Loved Me playing on repeat in his head. 🤔🤣

Apples

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

ThunderBalls?