Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Hunt better than the kill?

For me living every promotion and relegation in the PL I’ve come to a conclusion.

For sure the excitement of achieving promotion far exceed the reality of actually what follows.

You just can’t compare a season when you are in the running of promotion, the excitement of going to the play off final At Wembley v Middlesbrough, what a wonderful day that was. Be forever in the memory.

Take this season, what memories will you ever remember, or what you want to remember ?

So on the next season, goodness knows what will happen, but perhaps the best for me would be to Finnish third, then lose in the play off final.

so the season will be a success, the fans will have enjoyed it. But trying to stay in the PL , and a miserable season yet again, not for me.

2 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

For me living every promotion and relegation in the PL I’ve come to a conclusion.

For sure the excitement of achieving promotion far exceed the reality of actually what follows.

You just can’t compare a season when you are in the running of promotion, the excitement of going to the play off final At Wembley v Middlesbrough, what a wonderful day that was. Be forever in the memory.

Take this season, what memories will you ever remember, or what you want to remember ?

So on the next season, goodness knows what will happen, but perhaps the best for me would be to Finnish third, then lose in the play off final.

so the season will be a success, the fans will have enjoyed it. But trying to stay in the PL , and a miserable season yet again, not for me.

In truth, I don’t look back on the 2001/02 season with much affection as losing the playoff final at Cardiff was a pretty miserable experience and put a damper on much of what had happened leading up to that.

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

I concur Bradwell.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

In truth, I don’t look back on the 2001/02 season with much affection as losing the playoff final at Cardiff was a pretty miserable experience and put a damper on much of what had happened leading up to that.

Yes, that was a miserable drive back to Norfolk for sure, myself and my mate hardly spoke until we hit the M11. 

In fact the my abiding memory of the Millennium Stadium was how dark and depressing it was. (We were tucked up high at the back of a stand to the right of one of the goals.)

Hated losing the play-off final in Cardiff, wouldn't want to experience that again, it hurt more than just not getting in the top 6. So If we aren't going up, then just finish 7th. 

6 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Hated losing the play-off final in Cardiff, wouldn't want to experience that again, it hurt more than just not getting in the top 6. So If we aren't going up, then just finish 7th. 

My recollection of the Cardiff final was that we weren't ready for promotion that year and that to win that final would have been a surprise.  Of course I was optimistic we could win it, but we were not far enough developed. It showed in the way we played after our goal - we basically froze and just stopped playing.   The penalty shoot out was a foregone conclusion after seeing how we lost the plot after scoring our goal.  Painful, yes, but fairly predictable.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

My recollection of the Cardiff final was that we weren't ready for promotion that year and that to win that final would have been a surprise.  Of course I was optimistic we could win it, but we were not far enough developed. It showed in the way we played after our goal - we basically froze and just stopped playing.   The penalty shoot out was a foregone conclusion after seeing how we lost the plot after scoring our goal.  Painful, yes, but fairly predictable.

Very good points.... but to be fair I was only born in 93 so for that p/o final I was only what 8/9? And only had been going with my grandad as a season ticket holder for a couple of years, So to me it was the end of the world 😅 especially as it was the first time my Grandad had taken me to an "away" ground to see us play too.   

But to the older generation I can see why I wouldn't have been that big of a deal, it just still hurts a little as it was my first taste of optimism and then guttering disappointment in football... (Oh but how it prepared me for the next 20 years 😂

• Like 1